What movie have you seen today? - Page 9 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #161
AureaMediocritas

I just saw "Triumph des Willens" (1935) by Leni Riefenstahl.

Although it might lack credibility, it overall is a very entertaining movie I would recommend to everyone. Especially, the blonde "actors" are lovely.

By the way, Leni lived until 2003 ; "strong" lady she was.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:01 PM   Senior Registered Member #162
Richard
Dated

The past week...

Suzy (1936) Stars Cary Grant and Jean Harlow. Not a very good movie.

The Freshman (1990) It was alright. I liked it. Not really that funny on Matthew Broderick's part, but Marlon Brando was great. A nice start with TCM's run of college movies.

The Nutty Professor (1963) Ugh. I feel the same way about this movie just like I do with the remake. I think this is my first Jerry Lewis picture I've seen and he's not too bad. The Freshman is better, though.

Where The Boys Are (1960) This movie is really good. It also has a song by Connie Francis called "Where The Boys Are". Such a great song. It really enriches the mood of the film. It's about a group of college girls and boys who take a trip for spring break to Fort Lauderdale.

Mogambo (1953) My first Ava Gardner picture, unless you count that comical disaster Earthquake. Mogambo is good. It also stars Clark Gable and Grace Kelly.

Ivanhoe (1952) Corny. Not even Elizabeth Taylor could've increased my reactions towards this movie. Watching this film reminded me of The Princess Bride, which is far more superior. This picture was considered big when it was released back in 52', it was even nominated for a couple Acadamy Awards, I think.

Clear And Present Danger (1994) I don't like Jack Ryan. I like Harrison Ford, but I don't like Jack Ryan. The Hunt For Red October and The Sum Of All Fears were better. And I have no interest in reading the books.

Horse Feathers (1932) A Marx Brothers movie. They're pretty funny, but you all know that. Not quite as great as Duck Soup, but still good.

There's No Business Like Show Business (1954) A good, underrated musical. This film was fun to watch and there's a nice dance number with Donald O' Connor about mid-way into the film. Marilyn Monroe and Ethel Merman also co-star. Merman's an awful loud woman, isn't she?

I Was A Male War Bride (1949) A little disappointing seeing it stars Cary Grant and director Howard Hawks in a comedy. There were some good jokes here and there but the majority were just lame. However, this film would've been more disappointing if Cary Grant chose not to star in it. Hawks's direction and Grant's impeccable comedic timing saved it.

Smokey And The Bandit (1977) This movie was a stinker. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes to whoever thinks this picture is a classic. I just don't see it. The comedy is very bad and the entire movie seemed to be one long meaningless pursuit.

Garbo: A TCM Documentary (TV) (2005) Garbo is fascinating. Who else likes her?

... I watched a lot of movies this week.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:24 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #163
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I just watched 'Tom and Huck'....err, 'Tom et Huck.' It was all I could get in English.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:56 AM   Senior Registered Member #164
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Imaginary Heroes. I enjoyed it. If you come across it, watch it.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:09 AM   Officer #165
Mags
Officer

That was a fantastic movie Jacoby. Just fantastic.

I'm half-way through "Off The Map" and I can't decide yet if I like it or not.

I saw "Swimming Upstream" a few weeks ago and it was really good.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:09 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #166
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I loved Imaginary Heroes, especially the end.

Check out my blog:
Old 11-09-2005, 10:01 PM   Senior Registered Member #167
Richard
Dated

Splendor In The Grass (1961) I never realized how beautiful Natalie Wood was and Warren Beatty's performance in this was just exceptional considering it was his first starring role. The movie is great. It's now one of my favorites. Oh, if anybody knows the name of that song Bud's sister Ginny was singing during that cabin scene where she was drunk in front of a fireplace, please tell me. I like it, and I can't find it anywhere.

The Truth About Youth (1930) I only considered to watch this picture because of Myrna Loy who played a supporting character. It was one of her early roles too. The movie is kinda boring though, and Myrna, sadly, was the one and only highlight for me.

Solaris (2002) The one question I keep asking himself is how I can possibly like '2001: A Space Odyssey' and not have any interest in this movie. Kubrick, perhaps? I hate this movie. I don't know why. It was stale, dull, boring, and everything similar along those words. And you know what, I'm not even gonna beat myself up over it, because it's just not worth it. Not this movie. Maybe I dont have the mentality for it? What!?! How can I possibly say that if I liked 2001. No, it's the movie, I blame the movie. There seems to be an original made back in '72... I hope that's better.

Spartacus (1960) A really great movie. What's so spectacular about this epic (and the other landmark epics made during that time) is that Kubrick had to assembly and arrange the combat scenes which took thousands of extras and weeks to film. Nowadays, with the growing advancement of CGI, everything would have been digitally inserted. That's what makes movies like these memorable and unlikely to ever be surpassed.

Amelie (2001) Never underestimate the French. This movie is just magnificent. Near perfection I'd say. It's a big step for me too, I'm finally in love with a woman who's alive, Audrey Tautou is purrty. And Jean-Pierre Jeunet is starting to become one of my favorite directors. The picture is so admirable and the comedy so genuine that by the time you finish the movie you're left with the thought of why movies like these don't come around so often. The best feel good movie I've seen in a long time.
Old 16-09-2005, 08:36 PM   Senior Registered Member #168
Richard
Dated

I'm much too lazy to comment on these movies individually right now, but here are the movies I watched over the past week. Follow The Fleet with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers; Alfie from 1966 with Michael Caine; Stablemates with Mickey Rooney; and Tomorrow Is Forever with Orson Welles.

I also watched on AMC The Color Of Money and Wall Street. Both are pretty good.

In my film class we watched Darren Aronofsky's Pi. Such a weird movie, but beneath it all it was a pretty decent film.

Killer's Kiss (1955) This isn't the best of Kubrick's early work, but it's interesting to watch the development of his craftsmanship. The last 15 minutes is probably what fans will remember. It's the best part, really.

American Beauty (1999) I could just hug this movie, it's that amazing. A great feature film debut for Sam Mendes. It has everything for everyone. Like Roger Ebert said on his review, "...it's funny because we laugh at the hero's problems. And a tragedy because we can identify with his failure."

A Simple Plan (1998) I cried towards to end of this movie. Go see this if you haven't already. It's got great performances by almost all the actors. It's funny, it's sad, and it's one of the best films of 1998.
Old 19-09-2005, 02:30 AM   Senior Registered Member #169
Pygmalion
Pissed

A Simple Plan BLOWED. We had to do it for English last year, along with Chaucer's The Pardoner's Tale as a comparative study. Bridget Fonda was fucking scary, Billy Bob was good though.

Lessee. Yesterday I watched:

Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring
And If you don't know the plot of this movie, you should.

New York Minute
Oh wow. What a GREAT movie *Note sarcasm*. I decided to watch it because its my best friend's favourite movie-she's obsessed with the Olsen twins-and regretted my decision pretty much immediately.
It REALLY became painful when they both met their love interests, and Ashley/Jane was running down the street in a towel which, amazingly, didn't fall down.

Elektra
Now I KNOW it got a bad wrap, but I liked it. Then again, I'm going through a Jen Garner stage. The Typhoid lady was hot though, and I captured this screenshot for the masses:

And other than that, I watched half of the first season of Spooks which doesn't really count as a movie...
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 10:13 PM   Senior Registered Member #170
Richard
Dated

Over the past week I watched The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, For A Few Dollars More with Clint Eastwood, Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1941) with Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman, Libeled Lady with Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow, William Powell, and Spencer Tracy.

Risky Business (1983) I love this movie. Really, it's a movie every teenage boy should see.

Little Women (1949) I like this version much better than the '33. The amount of detail alone in this film makes everything more beautiful and its got a great cast.

Ray (2004) Ray deserved every Oscar it took home. And after seeing this and Collateral, Jamie Foxx is one of the best breakout actors I've seen in recent years. I may not be the biggest fan of Ray Charles, but Foxx's performance was the finest I've seen in a biopic since Gary Busey in The Buddy Holly Story.

Million Dollar Baby (2004) Finally. But I don't believe this was the best picture of 2004. It's great though, and I thought the film flowed at a great pace. I do believe Clint Eastwood is a fine filmmaker, however.
Old 23-09-2005, 11:56 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #171
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Watched Swingers with Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn last night. Very low budget, but funny nonetheless. Also had Heather Graham (in a very small role) and Ron Livingston (Office Space & Band Of Brothers). I'm guessing it must have been from 1995 or 96. Vince Vaughn looks like he's fifteen.
Old 30-09-2005, 02:53 AM   Senior Registered Member #172
Richard
Dated

Marathon Man (1976) This movie was weird. Actually, the best word to describe this picture is bizarre, and I loved it. Hoffman was amazing and the entire film is done with style.

The Caddy (1953) A screwball comedy starring the then popular on-screen duo Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin. It was alright.

Chicago (2002) Chicago, in fact, took me by surprise. It's actually a great musical, and though the dance numbers are no Busby Berkeley they're done really well. Some decent songs, and a few memorable ones too. If the actors real voices were used for the singing, then Catherine Zeta Jones can sing, and sing well.

The Rainmaker (1956) Another Katherine Hepburn movie, and it's one I thoroughly enjoyed. At 49, Hepburn is still a babe.

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) I didn't particularly like the story, but the performances (as this film is highly regarded for) are award winning. And they did too, I believe. But it was really good.
Old 30-09-2005, 07:02 AM   Senior Registered Member #173
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Chicago (2002) Catherine Zeta Jones can sing, and sing well.
She was trained in it, before she ever did the movie and then got trained even more when she got the part.

And Million Dollar Baby pissed me off something fierce.

I watched La Femme Nikita. The actual french movie. It was good, action packed but also had an actual plot, not just mindless action sequences. Good stuff.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:54 PM   Senior Registered Member #174
DefyingGravity

Why did Million Dollar Baby piss you off? I've never seen it.

Ed Wood.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:48 PM   Senior Registered Member #175
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I watched American Splendor last night. Has anyone else seen it? I really liked it a lot. It revolves around the life and comics of Harvey Pekar, and it's a film, but then there are more documentary-esqe parts intertwined with the film. Anyways I thought it was really interesting and pretty funny. Check it out for realz.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:57 AM   Senior Registered Member #176
Rob The BLack Douglas

Serenity

Decent continuation of the show. Did an excellent job of letting new viewers know what was going on, you didn't have to of seen Firefly to understand the movie.
To deny love is to deny life.
Love is as necessary as oxygen.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/robslibrary/
http://www.myspace.com/kilted_robespierre
Rob The BLack Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:15 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #177
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I watched The Missing yesterday. It was one of the few movies on a Saturday afternoon that I could switch to English. I had seen it before and didn't remember liking it all that much, but for some reason I got much more caught up in it this second time. I really like Jenna Boyd, the little girl that plays Cate Blanchett's youngest daughter. I remember seeing her in Dickie Roberts awhile ago, and she's continued to impress me since then. She needs to get more of Dakota Fanning's roles.

Check out my blog:
Old 04-10-2005, 07:42 PM   Senior Registered Member #178
Richard
Dated

It Should Happen To You (1954) Directed by George Cukor. Judy Holliday plays Gladys Glover, a nobody who recently lost a job and tries to make a name of yourself by buying dozens of billboards with her name on it plastered at various places around New York. She meets a young filmmaker in Central Park played by Jack Lemmon, and by the end the two fall in love.

The movie was good. And though Judy Holliday's career was cut short due to throat cancer, it's one of my favorites among hers and furthermore another nice achievement by George Cukor.

Love Me Tender (1956) Elvis Presely plays Clint Reno, the little brother to Vince (his older brother) who is serving in the Civil War. Vince returns home after being announced dead to his friends and family, and Vince's then girlfriend Cathy is now married to his brother Clint which causes a slight uncomfort between the two. There's also a second storyline that involves a train robbery.

The movie was okay. Not bad for Elvis considering this was his film debut, but Love Me Tender is probably one of those movie you won't mind avoiding.

Lady In The Lake (1947) Robert Montgomery plays detective Phillip Marlowe as he gets hired to find a missing wife. As the film progresses, more and more characters end up dead.

For a movie some people might claim as irritating, I found it different. In fact, I loved it. The mere idea that it's told through the point-of-view of the main character showcased a tense atmosphere, the same similiar feeling with the Bogart/Bacall classic Dark Passage. This is a very underrated picture, if you ask me.

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) A jewel heist movie starring Sterling Hayden. 'Doc' Riedenschneider played by Sam Jaffe is a recently paroled crimelord with a new plan to steal a million dollars worth of jewels. As the film progresses, little accidents happen along the way that soon decides the fates of the burgerlers.

The movie was great. It's a film that makes you eager to find out the conclusion, and it's a great conclustion at that. It also offers a brief appearance by Marilyn Monroe.

Show Boat (1936) This film is an adaptation of the hit Broadway musical. I really don't have much to say about this movie except that it offered some nice music and not much of anything else that satisfied me. I found most of it kinda boring. Maybe I'll like the '52 version better. Good performances, though.

How To Steal A Million (1966) Audrey Hepburn plays Nicole, the daughter to an art forger and collector Charles Bonnet played by Hugh Griffith, and he lends his precious Cellini Venus (which happens to be a fake) to a Paris museum. The museum wants to test the artwork and Mr. Bonnet starts to worry. Nicole then hires a "society burglar" played by Peter O'Toole, to steal it.

I enjoyed almost every frame of this movie. It's not because I'm always at Audrey Hepburn's feet, but because it's also a pretty decent film. Its got good solid humor and a nice attempt created by William Wyler to make it romantic.

Funny Face (1957) Audrey Hepburn plays Jo, a bookstore clerk turned model who gets sent to Paris by a prestigious fashion magazine and kept under the care and supervision by her photographer Dick Avery played by Fred Astaire.

The movie is 'S Wonderful, 'S Marvelous. Cheesy, I know. But it really is. And I never thought I'd live to hear myself say that Audrey's singing in this film was, at times, annoying. It somehow improved in the end, though. Hepburn has a nice solo ballet dance towards the middle of the film and it was cherographed really well. Fred Astaire did a great number too outside of Jo's hotel. The movie looks great, and it was directed beautifully by director Stanley Donen.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:56 AM   Senior Registered Member #179
Pygmalion
Pissed

Treasure Hunt (1997)

Funniest "movie" ever! Its the cheesiest porn in the history of the noble art. Fast forwarding the sex scenes, it only went for like 5 minutes tops, and when the pirate dude blows his load, he goes "Arrr! Shiver me timbers!"
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:54 PM   Senior Registered Member #180
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Me and You and Everyone We Know - Very good.
Grave of Fireflies - Good.
Ballad of Jack and Rose - Mediocre.