What movie have you seen today? - Page 80 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 19-08-2008, 05:38 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #1581
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Yeah, I actually found one to buy last night, but unfortunately my bank account is overdrawn...
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #1582
TheAnswerMVP2001

There Will Be Blood (2007)
Starring - Daniel Day-Lewis

Strange film, but Lewis puts forth a good performance.
Old 23-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #1583
TheAnswerMVP2001

Vacancy (2007)
Starring - Kate Beckinsale, Luke Wilson

Pretty good horror film compared to what we usually get.
Old 28-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #1584
TheAnswerMVP2001

Van Helsing (2004)
Starring - Hugh Jackman, Kate Beckinsale

An entertaining, highly underrated fun film.
Old 28-08-2008, 04:16 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1585
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Van Helsing a 9/10? There Will Be Blood a 7/10? Seriously? Just because There Will Be Blood confused you, doesn't make it simply an average film. It is a character study on par with Citizen Kane. Oh, and Paul Sunday and Eli Sunday are separate characters. Paul Dano was to originally play Paul, but Anderson decided to replace the actor playing Eli, and asked him to play it. They are identical twins.

Ahem... now, on to my latest films.

Love In The Time of Cholera
Javier Bardem is amazing. Absolutely, positively... amazing. After having seen him in No Country for Old Men, I wasn't sure I could ever watch him on screen without thinking of Anton Chigurh. Not a chance. His turn as Florentino Ariza is the bright spot in an otherwise below average film.

The Savages
As amazing as Bardem is, this film goes a step farther. The acting is incredible and the film succeeds. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney are spot on as a pair of disconnected siblings, having enough difficulty dealing with their own problems, who are suddenly saddled with dealing with their estranged father's dementia and failing health. How this lost to Juno for Best Original Screenplay is beyond me.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #1586
TheAnswerMVP2001

Can't Buy Me Love (1987)
Starring: Patrick Dempsey, Amanda Peterson

Dempsey was married to his best friend's 48 year old mother at 21 and Amanda Peterson drops off the face of the Earth, either to become a drug addict or a happily married mother... no this isn't part of the movie this is just some interesting facts on the actors. The movie is good too though.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #1587
TheAnswerMVP2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
Oh, and Paul Sunday and Eli Sunday are separate characters. Paul Dano was to originally play Paul, but Anderson decided to replace the actor playing Eli, and asked him to play it. They are identical twins.
Identical twins... exactly where do they explain that in the film? Seems much more logical to believe that Paul and Eli are the same person because obviously Eli is a nut job, ever heard of multiple personalities? I believe Lewis's character also eludes to this at the end of the film when he's chastising Eli. Other than Eli saying Paul is his brother there is no other evidence to support that, at least from what I gathered.

Also a typical response about Van Helsing and then criticizing me for giving There Will Be Blood a 7. Obviously you didn't read my reviews, maybe you should. I explain why I gave Van Helsing a 9 and attempting to compare my ratings between the two films is ridiculous, they are two completely different types of films, try reading why I gave Van Helsing a 9. Also I didn't give There Will Be Blood a 7 just because it was confusing, I gave it a 7 because everything except for Daniel Day Lewis was dull and mediocre. Take Lewis out of the film and plug in some other random actor and that film would not have received any notice, he's the only reason it's worth watching at all. Last time I checked you need more than just a great performance from one actor to have a great film, see A Beautiful Mind for one type of example of what a true great film is.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1588
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I read both of them.
If you're going to review films, you might want to check out some of the press related to the film. Paul Dano has mentioned, on several occasions, that the characters were to be played by different actors but that Anderson decided against the actor playing Eli and asked him to take on the role. In doing so, he altered the parts so as to make them identical twins.
Of course, whether Paul and Eli are identical twins, one schizophrenic or aliens, the fact remains that There Will Be Blood is a character study of Daniel Plainview. It's not about the people around him, but rather about how he uses these people for his own gain. The twenty or so minutes of action with nary a word spoken at the beginning of the film tells you everything you need to know about Daniel Plainview. Sure, Anderson could have had Hal Holbrook narrate a voice over to tell us how determined to succeed Plainview was, but thankfully, he decided to let Daniel Day-Lewis show us by falling down a mineshaft and then dragging his broken body, not just out of the hole, but all the way to town to get his discovery assayed.
As for Van Helsing, regardless of what you think "worked" in the film, I found that the narrative played a distant second fiddle to CGI... and not very good CGI at that.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #1589
TheAnswerMVP2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
I read both of them.
If you're going to review films, you might want to check out some of the press related to the film. Paul Dano has mentioned, on several occasions, that the characters were to be played by different actors but that Anderson decided against the actor playing Eli and asked him to take on the role. In doing so, he altered the parts so as to make them identical twins.
Of course, whether Paul and Eli are identical twins, one schizophrenic or aliens, the fact remains that There Will Be Blood is a character study of Daniel Plainview. It's not about the people around him, but rather about how he uses these people for his own gain. The twenty or so minutes of action with nary a word spoken at the beginning of the film tells you everything you need to know about Daniel Plainview. Sure, Anderson could have had Hal Holbrook narrate a voice over to tell us how determined to succeed Plainview was, but thankfully, he decided to let Daniel Day-Lewis show us by falling down a mineshaft and then dragging his broken body, not just out of the hole, but all the way to town to get his discovery assayed.
As for Van Helsing, regardless of what you think "worked" in the film, I found that the narrative played a distant second fiddle to CGI... and not very good CGI at that.
Well then we'll agree to disagree. I still don't think you understand why I gave the rating I did on There Will Be Blood. It was neither based on the opening 20 minutes nor the Paul Dano character. Paul Dano was one of the few things I actually enjoyed about the film, and frankly I think if Paul and Eli were actually the same person it would make more sense in the overall story, seeing Paul definitely has some issues, I think it's all really left open to interuptation in the film and could go either way. The reason I chose to point out the opening scene was because it was a reacurring complaint I had read in many other reviews, it was just a heads up to people, I really didn't have a problem with it. Again my rating is mainly based on the story, which I believe is saved majorly by the acting of Lewis and Dano, without them this film would have been nothing.

As for Van Helsing I understand it's dislike amoung the majority, but it appears to me everyone has there "guilty pleasures" so to speak, and Van Helsing is basically a typical popcorn adventure film, nothing more. I think it recieves way too much critizism for being so. I'm a big Kate Beckinsale fan, which is another reason I enjoyed this film. But I think I made my reasons clear why I enjoyed the movie, I don't expect people to change their opinon because of it, but I'd would like to see people stop overanalyzing it and critizing it for accomplishing what it set out to be.

To each there own though.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:45 AM   #1590
TheAnswerMVP2001

Cold Comfort Farm (1996)
Starring: Kate Beckinsale

Probably not well known to most in the United States, but easily attainable and well worth the rent. A very entertaining and quirky comedy, similar to Chevy Chase's Funny Farm.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #1591
eelliiinn

Juno - it was great, i loved it. it was just so... sweet ^^
Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM   Senior Registered Member #1592
JenR
on loan from np.com

had an almost sexy dream last night with the guy from that movie.
JenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:30 AM   Officer #1593
Renegade
Stock Boy

College. Um... I already knew it was going to suck but when the rest of your friends wanna watch it, what can you do? This movie is a cheap rip-off of Superbad. No real comedy, just mostly gross out jokes which never work when the characters aren't given any depth.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:26 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #1594
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
College.
Why have I never heard of this movie? And I get the all the trades and everything...

I saw The Wicker Man (Nic Cage version) - yuck, what the hell was that?

I just finished watching The Perfect Score. I love this movie, it's seriously underrated.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:30 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #1595
Mandy
Honourary Brit

In Bruges - This movie is FUCKED. But good. I was thinking "tra-la-la this movie is hilarious and cool" in the first half hour, then I was traumatized.

Ironman - FINALLY. Ok, I thought it was cool and it made me fall in love with RDJ again.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - I was inspired to see this after the RDJ crush resurrection. I loved it! It was funny and Val Kilmer was actually kinda good in it.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:24 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #1596
Liam
Bogan Elite

Falling Down.

Best movie ever.
Old 14-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #1597
TheAnswerMVP2001

Mischief (1985) - a pitiful excuse for a romantic comedy, neither funny nor romantic.

The Big Bang Theory - Season 1 (2007) - the funniest new sitcom on TV.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #1598
Surprize

I've never seen nothing worse than Wanted, I endured watching it 35 minutes. Thanks god, I didn't go to the cinema when its time was. The conclusion: never to see films directed by the Russian.
Surprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #1599
dave

I'm Not There An imagination of the different lives (so far) of Bob Dylan.

I don't really like movies about people who somehow "have everything" and how they misuse their good fortune. The movie glosses over a lot of that and leaves you feeling that Dylan is/was a pretty nice guy. There are no warts shown here... Unfortunately that doesn't leave much real person for you to enjoy. Think of it as a Concert Film and listen to the music.

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 04:07 PM   Senior Registered Member #1600
JenR
on loan from np.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprize View Post
I've never seen nothing worse than Wanted, I endured watching it 35 minutes. Thanks god, I didn't go to the cinema when its time was. The conclusion: never to see films directed by the Russian.

pshhhh *holds up hand*
JenR is offline   Reply With Quote