What movie have you seen today? - Page 75 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1481
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Back to the Future
Wow. I'd sort of forgotten how great this movie was. It's been a long time since I'd seen it all the way through. Such an intricate story and screenplay. Also remarkable, is the fact that Marty McFly is in every single scene. That's kind of rare, but it really helps cement the plot around his time travel.
Old 14-04-2008, 01:12 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1482
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

No Country for Old Men
Javier Bardem definitely deserved that Oscar. That was a fantastic performance. So deadly serious...yet there were those little moments where he gave the character that little inkling of humanity with a simple gesture with his eyes that made him all the more unsettling. And, speaking of performances, Tommy Lee Jones could also have been nominated for the Supporting Actor role. Wonderfully acted and wonderfully directed. The Coen brothers never cease to amaze with how they can bring humor to such a desolate film.
Old 18-04-2008, 03:40 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1483
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

We've been on a bit of an Oscar nominated film watching jag lately.

Gone Baby Gone... surprisingly good. I say surprising because it was Ben Affleck's directorial debut. His little brother did a very good job too, though that was more or less expected. Excellent cast and directing. Highly recommended.

A Beautiful Mind... I don't know how I went so long without seeing this film, but I finally did and it was fantastic. I really want to read the screenplay but I can't find it anywhere online. The delusional scenes were very well done and kept you wondering deep into the film what was real and what was delusion.
Old 18-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #1484
eelliiinn

Today I watched Anne Frank, I've seen it 5 times before and I almost cry my heart out every time, it's so sad
Old 22-04-2008, 12:18 AM   Senior Registered Member #1485
Richard
Dated

^^^Is that the 1959 version? I haven't seen that in so long.

Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970) -- I really wish there was more focus on character rather than the events leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor. This is surprising for even me to say because I'm always a stickler for details. But this was the key reason I didn't like the film so much. There was no character to take any real interest in. And when the attack finally happens there is not one sailor or civilian to follow or root for. This movie struck me as merely an insight into the decisions leading up to the attack by using both American and Japanese perspectives. The film succeeded in giving us that, but as a film I needed a little more. Perhaps if the director had invested a little more time in creating characters for the audience to hold onto, it might have been a more enjoyable film.
Old 29-04-2008, 02:30 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1486
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

The Interpreter
Could have been much better. Not Sidney Pollock's best work by a long shot, but considering they didn't have a finished script when they began shooting, it is a bit surprising there weren't more plot holes.
Once again, Sean Penn's one note acting ruins a film. You want to talk about homogeneous, have a look at his brooding Agent Keller. One note. He's like a guy strumming a guitar without once moving his hand on the fretboard. How Penn gets praised for his acting is beyond me. No subtlety... no nuance. He simply puts a 'mask' on for the character and plows through the role like mule. He was utterly humorless, even in moments of supposed levity, throughout the film. Katherine Keener was wasted in this film, yet in her few moments on screen, you actually got to see the art of subtle acting. She was infinitely better than Penn or Kidman.
Old 29-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #1487
Joly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
Once again, Sean Penn's one note acting ruins a film. You want to talk about homogeneous, have a look at his brooding Agent Keller. One note. He's like a guy strumming a guitar without once moving his hand on the fretboard. How Penn gets praised for his acting is beyond me. No subtlety... no nuance. He simply puts a 'mask' on for the character and plows through the role like mule.
Have you seen I Am Sam? I personally thought he played that role well and I've never seen him act like that before.

EDIT: Just saw your post in the homogenous thread so you need not answer that question anymore
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #1488
eelliiinn

I just watched "Bridge to Terabithia" and I cried so much, I still do... definitely worth watching !
Old 29-04-2008, 05:31 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1489
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joly View Post
Have you seen I Am Sam? I personally thought he played that role well and I've never seen him act like that before.

EDIT: Just saw your post in the homogenous thread so you need not answer that question anymore
But I will anyway.

Daniel Day-Lewis as Christy Brown.
Dustin Hoffman as Raymond Babbitt.
Russell Crowe as John Nash.
Leonardo DiCaprio as Arnie Grape.
Billy Bob Thornton as Karl Childers.
Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump.
Larry Drake as Benny on L.A. Law.
Hell... even Adam Sandler as Bobby Boucher, Jr. in The Waterboy over...
... Sean Penn as Sam Dawson. All of these actors did a better job playing handicapped people better than Penn.

Sean Penn is roundly over-rated in everything he does. In Mystic River, I don't think he deserved the nomination... let alone the Oscar. To my eye, he never shows more than one layer of a character. He gets all intense, and everyone seems to think he's wonderful.
Look at the movie Goodfellas. Those are some incedibly nuanced performances. The characters could have very easily been turned into goombah caricatures, but they weren't. De Niro, Liotta, Pesci, Sorvino... everyone... gave depth to the character. You didn't just see tough guys who were always 'tough'. You saw their anxieties... frailties... fears.
Sean Penn's Jimmy Markum in Mystic River didn't. He just came off as a tough guy... always over the top in his intensity.

Honestly, I think there are tons of American actors that are better.
Old 30-04-2008, 01:21 AM   #1490
eelliiinn

Edward Scissorhands, it was such a cute film, but also a bit sad. Johnny Depp did a great job and I liked it a lot. You're lucky if you haven't seen it yet, because then you have something great to look forward to, I really recommend you to watch it.
Old 30-04-2008, 03:57 AM   Senior Registered Member #1491
michael22
eternally screwed

I am in for a busy night.
Zulu: I just can't say enough good things about this movie.

Glory: Interesting story that was well executed.

Battle of Britain: an interesting story about odds and tenacity.

Charge of the light brigade: another great one.

Heat: interesting change of pace from the last two.

From dusk to dawn: interesting
Old 30-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #1492
Surprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelliiinn View Post
I just watched "Bridge to Terabithia" and I cried so much, I still do... definitely worth watching !
And with me this happened in the cinema (as I said before). Strangely for me but people around seemed to be insensible and unfeeling, they looked at me with great surprise.

And to the film I saw yesterday. The Other Boleyn Girl Definitely, the historical movies are the most interesting for me. To my mind, Natalie Portman and Eric Bana acted well, Scarlett Johansson acted bad. I heard of some unfavourable comments about the film, but I don't agree. It was very good.
Surprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:26 AM   #1493
Surprize

Perfume: the Story of A Murderer Interesting. I thought it will be terrible, but was made good.
Alatriste What a failure...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #1494
Joly

Saw Iron Man last night - Can't say I'm a massive fan of Marvel movies but I enjoyed it quite well considering. The story line's a bit ridiculous but to be fair, you'd expect it to be. Some bits were pretty funny but I almost drifted off a few times towards the end. It was quite a long film I think.
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:09 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #1495
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I'm seeing Iron Man tonight since last night I dragged Boyfriend to Made of Honor. Only fair. Made of Honor was better than I thought it would be. *sigh* I love Patrick Dempsy despite not wanting to.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:49 AM   Senior Registered Member #1496
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Also saw Iron Man. I went in expecting great effects, with a poor plot. Was still disappointed with ending, very anti-climatic in my opinion, but hey, the scenes in Afghanistan sure made up for it.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:04 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1497
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Juno. This may come as a shock, but I wasn't all that impressed. It was funny in places, but overall, I thought the dialogue was a bit forced... as if Diablo Cody was simply trying to let us know how incredibly hip she is. Same with the music. It all just seemed a bit contrived.
Also, Ellen Page didn't show me anything that justified an Oscar nomination. She played a smart-ass teenager which has been done as well, if not better, by a long list of actors and actresses over the years.
I really did want to like it, but overall, I was underwhelmed.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #1498
Surprize

Rewatched Ghost. A moving/touching (you, the English, have so many adjectives, that it's very difficult to understand all the nuances of meaning! and choose a right and suitable one) film.
Forces of Nature Bearable.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1499
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

There Will Be Blood
This may have moved higher on my list than No Country For Old Men. Daniel Day-Lewis was every bit as good as Javier Bardem, if not better. And speaking of performances, I really enjoyed Paul Dano's. The cinematography was stunning and the score was amazing. I really loved the jarring aspect at times.

I really anticipated seeing this film, and unlike Juno, it exceeded my expectations...

... "I'm finished".
Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #1500
Surprize

Constantine Rather interesting and a bit scareful in some moments. I like T. Swinton's wings in this movie.