What movie have you seen today? - Page 53 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 AM   Senior Registered Member #1041
kingdumbass

Leaving Las Vagas....

Nicholas Cage decides to drink himself to death (literally) in the fine city of Las Vegas.

A movie with a GREAT concept, and well-done in almost every way. The idea of doing what Cage does in this film has certainly occurred to me many times, so I understand his motivation. In fact, it wouldn't take much for me to do what he did, should I get fired or something like that....

The only flaw here is Elizabeth Shue -- I can't fucking STAND her. Every time she was on screen (which was a lot), I was totally taken out of the movie.

4 out of 5.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:17 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1042
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I had a crush on Elisabeth Shue when I was 14 or 15.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:13 AM   Senior Registered Member #1043
Richard
Dated

Hell's Angels (1930) - Brothers Roy and Monte Rutledge ditch their native Oxford for the Royal Flying Corps on the onset of World War I. With dispositions as different as night and day, Roy, played by James Hall, is madly in love with a beguiling girl named Helen, played by Jean Harlow. Only while at a lavish dance does Helen pursue Monte seductively, with the two withdrawing afterwards to her home. Meanwhile, after the news that war has been declared on Germany and France, their German friend Karl, played by John Darrow, is ordered back to his country to enlist in the war and fight Britain; a sentence he resents on account that he considers the English his friends. Karl ultimately ends up on a Zeppelin (a German airship) with orders to bomb an area in London. It is while on this perilous mission that Karl's fate is sealed as the airship is repeatedly tracked by British fighter planes and is eventually brought down by a dauntless pilot; giving his life and smashing his plane into the Zeppelin leaving it to its descent while engulfed in flames.

As the film progresses Roy and Monte volunteer for a risky mission: to bomb a German munitions facility using only a German plane to avoid suspicion. Before they commence to their duty, however, Roy and Monte decide to enjoy what could possibly be their last night together and Roy goes off and looks for Helen, only to find her in the arms of another man. (Sometime in 1933, The Motion Picture Production Code (MPAA) drafted a document that set the standards on what was acceptable in motion pictures; the first of its kind in Hollywood history. A lewd scene in the movie involving Helen and a drunken man is a fine example of pre-code behavior). With Helen now out of the picture, the two brothers get drunk; but not enough to affect their stamina for the stealthy mission just hours before them.

Hell's Angels was really a movie ahead of its time. Director Howard Hughes wasn't afraid to do anything if he knew it would be beneficial to the picture, and cost evidently wasn't an issue because the results were tremendous. The aerial sequences were superb for its period, and even today, because it was acheived through the means of practical effects and obviously required an aviator's skill. The color sections of the film (the destruction of the Zeppelin in particular), were very well done, creating the right atmosphere for a highly elevated airship in danger of being compromised. The sacrificing of the German airman falling down a darkened pit without even so much as a whimper was both frightening and unnerving. This scene is a sparkling example of how certain images triumph over words, and it never leaves your mind. What I found most wonderful of all in this film was an 8-minute Technicolor scene featuring Jean Harlow; the only color footage that exists of the actress and she looks just as great if not better in color.

It's understandable that some viewers may argue that the movie is either dated or corny, but anyone with any sense will tell you it is never wise to judge a movie like this by today's standards, as there are many scenes in this picture that endure even today.

Flags of Our Fathers (2005) - It's strange. I couldn't find anything wrong with the movie, but also there was really nothing worth recommending. I did enjoy the war bond scenes, though, and it's nice to see something like that incorporated into the story, something often overlooked in contemporary WWII movies and in those rare cases where we get a glimpse of wartime society.

Munich (2006) - I don't watch a lot of the movies made today, but I thought this was THE best film I've seen of the decade. It's violent, powerful, disturbing, and it raises questions and effects you long after it's finished. Superb film.

Empire of the Sun (1987) - Spielberg is such a pro at telling a good story. Anybody who doesn't acknowledge this needs to sit down with someone and have their head examined. Empire of the Sun tells a great story, and it looks good. I think this was one of Spielberg's misses and it's such a shame. Very good film.

Amistad (1997) - Djimon Hounsou is really good in this. I think Spielberg really gets the audience's emotions working by the scenes this movie showcases. They are powerful ones. The music is really good, too. Great film.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:57 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #1044
Digital_Ice

"Two guys, and a fuck load of cutlery..."

Hot Fuzz

bloody brilliant film, good ol' simon pegg not letting us down. little predictable in places, but what do you expect.

one day i'll write a review as good as richard.... but not today.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 PM   Senior Registered Member #1045
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

X-men 3: The Final Stand

Really cool. Wolverine and Phoenix getting it on at the lab...
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #1046
Norseman

The departed

Really cool movie with some funny twists.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 AM   Senior Registered Member #1047
michael22
eternally screwed

300- Fucking awesome
Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 AM   Senior Registered Member #1048
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Yeah, I saw 300 twice in the past week. It pretty much kicks ass, though. Total dick flick, though, extra appealing to those with luggage in the basement.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:38 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1049
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Is 300 good? I'm a history dork, so it appeals to that part of me. However, I'm also a real stickler for historical accuracy, so I'm not sure I'll like it from that perspective. In the trailers I've seen, it seems that they do a lot of jumping around while fighting. That flies completely in the face of the Spartan phalanx, which is precisely what allowed them to inflict such heavy losses on the Persians, while not being exactly 'cinematic'.
I guess I'll just have to go see it.

As for the movie I've seen...Dr. Doolittle.
Saw it with Taylor in the hotel this weekend. It made me throw up in my mouth a little. Twice. What a horrible film. But, it's a re-affirming film. How so? As an aspiring film writer, if something with this many obvious plot holes and bad dialogue can be produced, surely something I write can.
It was made in 1998, and features a pre-stardom Paul Giamatti as a bumbling rival of Eddie Murphy's character. Certainly a far cry from Sideways or Cinderella Man.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 PM   Senior Registered Member #1050
michael22
eternally screwed

It is suprisingly good for historical accuracy, despite the giant size of rhinos and the strange shape of the macariea of xipos ( hard to tell when they are that shaped)
Old 13-03-2007, 04:28 AM   #1051
beckhamgod
Newcomer

i saw 300 this weekend it rocked.
Old 14-03-2007, 10:31 AM   Senior Registered Member #1052
kingdumbass

Susperia....

A stylish little gem from Dario Argento. A young woman enrolls in a European dance school, only to encounter a variety of horrors upon getting there.

At first, this film may seem derivative, but that's only because so many others have copied Argento's technique since then. Visually interesting, and innovative. All horror fans should know this one.

4 out of 5.

World Trade Center....

Not your typical bullshit Oliver Stone movie. There's no political statement here (at least not an obvious one), and the story is coherent. WTC focuses on the human element of the 9/11 attacks, and pays tribute to the decency and heroism of that day.

As with United 93, this one got me rather emotional. Oliver Stone IS capable of making a decent movie, after all. Who would've thunk it?

5 out of 5.
Old 14-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #1053
mongoose

Hey kingdumbass are you a film critic ?
You watch a film every day and then even rate it. You sure have plenty of free time.
I watch 1 or 2 a week.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #1054
Norseman

King: Is'n it named "Suspiria"?
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 11:13 PM   Senior Registered Member #1055
kingdumbass

Yes, it is....
My bad.

And Mongoose -- I'm not a film critic; just a loser with a Netflix account.
Old 19-03-2007, 01:43 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1056
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I went to see this with admitted trepidation.
I was wrong. It was very good. And, not too historically inaccurate. I guess they really wanted to remain faithful to Miller's graphic novel, so that accuracy was more important. Therefore, kudos to Mr. Miller for not completely destroying the history.
I could have done with a bit less in the piercing department as far as Xerxes was concerned, but the Spartans looked spot on, from a historical standpoint.
3.75/5.00
On a side note, does Lena Headey not look like an older Keira with a bit more in the boob department and a bit less in the jawline?
Splendid.
Old 19-03-2007, 07:25 PM   Senior Registered Member #1057
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
I went to see this with admitted trepidation.
I was wrong. It was very good. And, not too historically inaccurate. I guess they really wanted to remain faithful to Miller's graphic novel, so that accuracy was more important. Therefore, kudos to Mr. Miller for not completely destroying the history.
I could have done with a bit less in the piercing department as far as Xerxes was concerned, but the Spartans looked spot on, from a historical standpoint.
3.75/5.00
On a side note, does Lena Headey not look like an older Keira with a bit more in the boob department and a bit less in the jawline?
Splendid.
She does.

And you're all about departments today. Did you go to a department store?
Old 19-03-2007, 07:31 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1058
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby View Post
She does.

And you're all about departments today. Did you go to a department store?

Shit you're good.
Old 19-03-2007, 07:35 PM   Senior Registered Member #1059
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

The Notebook.
Again. I always cry with that movie. I love it! *snifs*
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 07:51 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #1060
Leonie
Elle

Juana La Loca, last week. And man, did I like that film. It's genius. I don't normally like movies a whole lot, because I have the attention span of a goldfish, but this one was incredible.