What movie have you seen today? - Page 5 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:57 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #81
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

The Wedding Crashers
Fucking hysterical. That is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Vince Vaughn is really good with the subtle, while being really good with the over the top.
Saw the trailer for Domino beforehand, and I am less apprehensive about it than I was. It's going to be stylish and over the top, but I don't think it'll suck. Certainly not as much as The Transporter 2. Enough with the wires and crazy stunt kicks already, okay?
Also saw the preview for My Name is Earl...coming to you Tuesdays this fall on NBC. Watch it. It looks like it will be hysterical. Jason Lee will make you laugh. I promise.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #82
Keyser_so_so

Try out The Transporter, because seeing the quite fun original will make the imminent sequel seem interesting, that said it all brings back memories of another action franchise gone wrong by number two (xXx, quite fun original, xXx2... well, let's just say the most interesting thing about it is that Ice Cube used to be in NWA).

Off to see The Island on Friday (or Thursday if my local cinema is doing a special preview day for it)...
Old 07-08-2005, 10:44 PM   Senior Registered Member #83
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Independence Day on a brand-new 64'' Widescreen television.

Except for horrendous facial blur in spots, the movie looked amazing.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:27 AM   Senior Registered Member #84
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Dukes of Hazzard

Terrible movie but with some good shots of a Dodge Charger drifting like crazy, and flaming arrows.

Oh, and moonshine.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #85
Richard
Dated

From the weekend.

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) This film is more popular than I thought. It kinda makes me feel bad when I say it was just ALRIGHT, and I didn't really think of it as anything even remotely special. It started off a little dull but quickly started to get interesting. Some scenes were exhilarating to watch considering when the film was made and how efficient it was shot by director John Frankheimer. I'm gonna watch this movie again, with the hope of catching up with the rest of the world and realizing that 'maybe' this could be one of the best films ever made. Co-stars Frank Sinatra and Laurence Harvey.

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) A nice little british comedy starring Alec Guinness. I liked it. Co-stars Stanley Holloway and Sid James.

Murder By Death (1976) A really good black comedy starring Peter Sellers, Alec Guinness, David Niven, Peter Falk, and Truman Capote. It's a spoof on some of the most popular detective films ever made. Such as The Thin Man series with Nick And Nora Charles, but this time, it's Dick and Dora Charleston... getting it now? The comicalness this movie has is so genuine you really have to pay close attention to everything being said to fully understand and appreciate it. **Highly Recommended**

Naked Gun 33 1/3 : The Final Insult (1994) Really bad. Almost forced comedy and really is the last straw for the Naked Gun series. Although pathetic, it does have some nice comic bits, but overall... it just doesn't work. The original is classic.

Christopher Strong (1933) Good. Mediocre at best. It's the first film I've seen Katharine Hepburn die in, which is sad. Not much to say really, she looked great.

Undercurrent (1946) Really good, much better than the above. It offered a different role I wasn't too familiar in seeing someone like Katharine Hepburn play in. Good movie, with good suspenseful moments. Vincente Minnelli made them very effective.

The Lion In Winter (1968) Amazing. Magnificent. I don't care if it was inaccurate or not. I was, at times, laughing more than anything else. It was so witty in a way I wasn't expecting. I really enjoyed it, even when at first I thought I wasn't going to understand a word of it. Hepburn deserved that Oscar.

Dragon Seed (1944) One of my favorite films starring Katharine Hepburn, but it does have a flaw. It's not her appearance that bothered me, but her attempt to sound like a Japanese woman... she didn't really. At times it showed, but I sensed her American accent more times than I should. In one particular scene, when she and her husband are in her room and she blows out a candle, everything is dimmed except a silhouette of both her and her husband. Now, if anyone were to tune into this movie at exactly this point in the film, the viewer will have no idea that Hepburn's character Jade is Japanese. She sounded even like an American during that scene and it bothered me. Although, I may be wrong. For all I know, some Japanese women could sound more like Americans. It's still a great movie, in my opinion. Decent story too.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #86
a ring in return

I saw The Five People You Meet in Heaven on sunday. Pretty good movie, might have been better if I hadn't already read the book though.

Your face is light
And cocaine white
a ring in return is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:36 AM   Officer #87
Renegade
Stock Boy

I saw Better Luck Tomorrow. Well, atleast an hour and 27 minutes of it. This bootleg won't play any further. Anyways, great movie. Speaks a lot of truths about college applications and high school perfectionists.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:05 AM   Senior Registered Member #88
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I saw Cinderella Man today and it wasn't bad. Everyone did a pretty awesome job except Renee Zellwhatjigger.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #89
aznkkfan

The March of the Penguins, hehe

i'm such a little kid. i only watched it for the little penguin chicks. it was good
aznkkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:24 AM   Senior Registered Member #90
marine

The Sound of Music, I do love this movie.

My Fair Lady
An American in Paris
Fantastic Four (well I didn't watch them today but a couple days ago).
marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:29 AM   Senior Registered Member #91
frodo1511
Pin Dick

The Last Samurai

So pissed Ken Watanabe did not get best supporting actor in 2003.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:25 PM   Senior Registered Member #92
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
The Last Samurai

So pissed Ken Watanabe did not get best supporting actor in 2003.
I enjoyed The Last Samurai. It was a surprise hit for me.

Blood Alley (1955) Good movie starring John Wayne and Lauren Bacall.

Thoroughbreds Don't Cry (1937) One of Judy Garland's early films starring opposite Mickey Rooney. It's a nice "G" movie, with some good comic bits. It also features a nice song sung by Judy called "Got a Pair of New Shoes". Co-stars Alfred E. Green and Ronald Sinclair.

Listen, Darling (1938) Another one of Judy's early films, and a nice one at that. It's about two kids, Pinkie and Buzz, who kidnaps Dottie (Pinkie's mother) in their family trailer with the hope of finding her a husband both she and Buzz would like. Co-stars Mary Astor.

The Pirate (1948) A swashbuckling gem starring Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. Kelly plays an actor who falls in love with Judy's character who's engaged to be married. As always, great musical numbers performed by Kelly. The movie is weak in some parts, but the acting by both Garland and Kelly and the direction by Vincente Minelli saved this film.

In The Good Old Summertime (1949) Probably one of the best romantic comedies I've seen in my life. The story follows both Andrew and Veronica (played by Van Johnson and Judy Garland) as they display a constant hatred to each other, but secretly engaged in a romantic anonymous relationship through their local post-office. Co-stars Buster Keaton.

Easter Parade (1948) The best film I've seen starring Fred Astaire. Originally, the lead was offered to Gene Kelly but was given to Astaire at the last minute because Kelly busted his ankle. Regardless, he was great in it. And with Garland alongside... you can't go wrong.

The Harvey Girls (1946) The weakest entry of all the Judy Garland films I watched during TCM's 24-hour marathon. It wasn't entirely bad per say, it just simply lacked what the others had. The songs and dance sequences were more or less forgettable, in my opinion, and the role for Judy wasn't particularly interesting to begin with. She looked great, but she could've been used better. Garland has been known to upstage anyone, and she clearly didn't in this film.

Life Begins For Andy Hardy (1941) This is my first Andy Hardy film I've seen, out of order too, but that didn't matter because it was great. Rooney and Garland are amazing together, and these films are the sparkling examples. It's so 'friendly' in a way you can easily see why these movies were always a success at the box-office during that time. Great movie for any age. Co-stars Lewis Stone and the beautiful Patricia Dane.

Firefox (1982) I don't like aerial combat films. I wouldn't say it was boring, but someone who has no interest in the story, like me, will find it kinda lousy. Up until I saw this movie, I strongly believed I can watch Clint Eastwood in almost anything. That was a swift kick in the groan. Eastwood also directs.

Last edited by Richard; 11-08-2005 at 02:57 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 AM   #93
Naked -Mole-Rat
Newcomer

Location: Everywhere. As a matter of fact, I'm right behind you.
Saw a movie called Brotherhood of the wolf yesterday. Having read much about the infamous Beast of Gevaudan and thinking it a pretty cool enigma, i thought the movie totally sucked ass. It could have been done about a million times better. I don't get why they had to use all that crap martial arts (i love film fighting, but not this stuff). This could have been a really scary film, but it sucks. And as for 'based on a true story'....bullshit. There is not a scrap of conclusive evidence for any of that brotherhood conspiracy-type stuff. But even though it was a crap film, i still kinda enjoyed watching it.

Has anyone else seen it, what did you think? (sorry for anyone that liked it).
Naked -Mole-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:18 AM   Senior Registered Member #94
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I saw Me and You and Everyone We Know. It was a pretty good little independent film. There were a few parts that I found really great and inciteful and beautifully acted and written. We missed the first 15 minutes, which pisses me off, but what we saw I really liked. And there's only one thing I can end this reply with...

...back and forth...forever.

))<>((
Old 11-08-2005, 10:53 AM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #95
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

The other day I watched " When Harry met Sally"
I couldn't believe how much I liked this movie.
I really think Its one of the best movie's I have ever watched.
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #96
gracie
Goddess

this morning i watched that fabulous carey ewes (sp?) and alicia silverstone movie, Crush, which is just amazingly terrifying. Alicia silverstone as a crazy stalker awesome. and Carey has always been a favorite of mine since i was like 4 and saw Princess Bride for the first time.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #97
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
It's not like you can go wrong with Kevin Spacey and John Cusack. 7/10
actually, you can, in this case. one of the worst movies ever made from a great book. and clint eastwood, too.....totally agree with frodo about batman begins, though.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:04 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #98
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel
actually, you can, in this case. one of the worst movies ever made from a great book. and clint eastwood, too.....totally agree with frodo about batman begins, though.
I never read the book. More of a Cusack/Spacey fan.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #99
squirrel

so am i, usually. that's what makes it harder for me to watch a movie when i like the cast/director, etc's previous work (king arthur). you ought to give the book a try, especially if you liked the movie.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:09 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #100
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel
so am i, usually. that's what makes it harder for me to watch a movie when i like the cast/director, etc's previous work (king arthur). you ought to give the book a try, especially if you liked the movie.
I have the book, I just can't find it. *shakes head*
Fuckin' Alzheimers. :err: