What movie have you seen today? - Page 42 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 31-07-2006, 06:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #821
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
Use Blockbuster Online. NetFlix people are assholes, and us people rock.
But I'm a special asshole seeing as I have both. Unfortunately, I have to end my Blockbuster online subscription after my free trial ends on the 17th. I've read in many places that Blockbuster isn't nowhere as good as Netflix. It's a lie. I've had no problems with Blockbuster so far.

Swords, trust me, Netflix is going to be the best thing you'll ever pay for in your entire life.
Old 31-07-2006, 07:28 PM   Senior Registered Member #822
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Do you guys have Blockbuster stores near you? Because I live a minute away from one, and because of that Netflix is lesser of a program. I've tried both. I actually got my Blockbuster movies a day faster than the Netflix because the hub is right near me, too. But I guess it all depends on location.
Old 31-07-2006, 07:35 PM   Senior Registered Member #823
ryan

watched the pianist the other night. good, but not great.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 10:15 PM   Senior Registered Member #824
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Do you guys have Blockbuster stores near you? Because I live a minute away from one, and because of that Netflix is lesser of a program. I've tried both. I actually got my Blockbuster movies a day faster than the Netflix because the hub is right near me, too. But I guess it all depends on location.
I have a Blockbuster less than a mile away from me, but I don't get my movies from there. Like Netflix, they both come from Santa Ana. And I assume by now that's where the hub is. It usually takes 1 day for Blockbuster and Netflix to receive my movies, and then 1 day for the movies to reach me. I can't complain. That is, of course, if the movies don't come from Santa Ana. I've had several in the past come from the east coast, and once all the way up from Maine. Naturally, it takes longer. The movies come from the nearest available location. I've only found that out recently.
Old 31-07-2006, 11:34 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #825
acliff
llama llama duck

I don't think I've contributed enough to this thread...

I saw Bad Boys and the Truman Show yesterday, Singing in the Rain the day before, and district 13 at the cinema a little while back.

Bad Boys and Truman show were watched while channel flicking, filling in the blanks by the sheer number of times I've seen them in the past. Both tremendous films, one of Jim Carrey's finest performances, and one of Martin Lawrences only performances (of any note). If you consider the likes of Blue Streak and Big Momma's House 1 & 2 films, you shouldn't be reading this thread, rather going to score more crack.

Singing in the Rain is an alltime classic, one of the few musicals which have stood the test of time by having a theme which you can still relate to, songs which are catchy and yet not irritating, a charismatic cast, and by being just so goddamn charming. Not that I watch this with any regularity of course, my sister is doing a stage production of singing in the rain, and wanted clothing style inspiration.

District 13 is the best french action film I've seen. Yes, even better than Taxi. Freerunning, acrobatics, martial arts, car chases, gun fights, great choreography and style, useless storyline. My kind of film.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:11 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #826
Digital_Ice

Jurassic Park - hreh, its so bad its funny.
But when i was 6 is scared the shit out of me.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:30 AM   Senior Registered Member #827
kingdumbass

Jacoby, you know I love you, man....
But I live in a shithole small town, and there is no Blockbuster within 100 miles. The only video store in this God-forsaken place sucks just as bad as the rest of the town does. They almost never have what I'm looking for, and the late fees are a bitch.

I held out on joining NetFlix until I finally realised that I'm spending about 70 bucks a month on rentals right now, and only seeing about half of the movies I want to see. With NetFlix, I could theoretically rent five times as many movies, see all the ones I want, and only pay 18 bucks a month. It's just a better option on every level.

Whenever I find a better job, and move back to the city, I can stop relying on mail services for things like this; but for the time being, I'm a NetFlix man.

Today, I'm expecting Audition, Pure, and The Red Violin to appear in my mailbox. I cannot find any of those DVDs at a regular video store.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #828
ILoveKiera776

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest a couple of days ago.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:57 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #829
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Insightful.

Saw the Truman Show again (I assume you caught it on Channel 4 Cliff?).

Excellent film. Not a typical Carey movie, no, but that's not such a bad thing in this case. Very clever film, interesting satire and also a nice philosophical ring to it too.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:37 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #830
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

I watched Fun With Dick And Jane which was pretty meh. I also saw Failure To Launch, it was plenty crap. However, Zooey Deschanel was a saving grace.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:44 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #831
acliff
llama llama duck

I saw Date Movie.
It is possibly the worst thing that I have ever done.
Even Allison Hannigan can't save it.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:22 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #832
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdumbass
But I live in a shithole small town, and there is no Blockbuster within 100 miles. The only video store in this God-forsaken place sucks just as bad as the rest of the town does.
Haha...Roanoke, Alabama > you.
There are three video stores there. Two of them are next door to each other and the third is across the street. There may even be more, but I just pass through that God-forsaken shitsburg on the way back from dropping my daughter off with the ex's parents.

I haven't seen any movies, and that makes me sad. I am looking forward to Talladega Nights.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:52 AM   Senior Registered Member #833
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdumbass
But I live in a shithole small town, and there is no Blockbuster within 100 miles. The only video store in this God-forsaken place sucks just as bad as the rest of the town does. They almost never have what I'm looking for, and the late fees are a bitch.

I held out on joining NetFlix until I finally realised that I'm spending about 70 bucks a month on rentals right now, and only seeing about half of the movies I want to see. With NetFlix, I could theoretically rent five times as many movies, see all the ones I want, and only pay 18 bucks a month. It's just a better option on every level.

Whenever I find a better job, and move back to the city, I can stop relying on mail services for things like this; but for the time being, I'm a NetFlix man.

Today, I'm expecting Audition, Pure, and The Red Violin to appear in my mailbox. I cannot find any of those DVDs at a regular video store.
Hey, it's cool, I won't take it personal. Just thought I'd let you know the deal before you get yourself situated with something. If you're a NetFlix man, you're a NetFlix man.

I feel proud though that my blockbuster store carries both The Red Violin and Audition. I have a copy of Audition (burned it when I rented it because I didn't have time to view) and The Red Violin is seriously one of the best films I've ever seen. Undoubtetly (is that a word) one of my favorites.

But on topic of the thread my friends and I watched the movie EVIL today. Which is a Swedish movie about a boy who gets into fights and gets sent to boarding school. This movie was amazing. Richard, and King, add this to your queue. Seriously. It had great tension, and was really well put together. Language is Swedish so it's subtitled and there's a lot of dialoge but you get used to it, and it totally captures your attention.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:31 AM   Senior Registered Member #834
Richard
Dated

Quote:
But on topic of the thread my friends and I watched the movie EVIL today. Which is a Swedish movie about a boy who gets into fights and gets sent to boarding school. This movie was amazing. Richard, and King, add this to your queue. Seriously. It had great tension, and was really well put together. Language is Swedish so it's subtitled and there's a lot of dialoge but you get used to it, and it totally captures your attention.
Just added it. I'll have to check out The Red Violin also.

I watched Roxie Hart today from 1942. This movie, I believe, was the first to be adapted into a motion picture from the stage play Chicago. The title role is played by Ginger Rogers, and her performance in this film ranks as one of my all time favorites. The picture is great. I loved it. It's funny, also. But this time, it is not a musical, but rather a straight-up comedy. This version is too much different from the 2002 release that it wouldn't be fair to compare. They're two entirely different movies and should be viewed with that in mind. For those who enjoyed 2002's Chicago, you might want to check out this film and see what you're missing.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:28 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #835
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Miami Vice, loved it.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:02 PM   Senior Registered Member #836
kingdumbass

Audition....

It's a rare Japanese "horror" movie that apparently has some kind of a cult following, and it absolutely SUCKED. See, I first heard about it on some televised countdown of the most gruesome horror movies ever made, and Audition placed at number eight, among such well-known classics as Dawn of the Dead and Friday the 13th. SO, I figured it must be something really special.

It wasn't. Two hours of INCREDIBLY slow-moving drama, with 15 minutes of torture scenes tacked on to the end. A truly terrible movie. One star out of five.

The Red Violin....

A very good movie. Followed the story of an unusually well-crafted violin over the course of 300 years or so, as it makes its way through various owners. Director Fran├žois Girard, who also did the upcoming "Silk", seems to like colorful and vibrant visuals, along the lines of Terry Gilliam, something which I also enjoy. The film never bored me. 4 out of 5.

V For Vendetta....

Fantasic. As with many good movies, it took a while for me to get into this one...but once I did, I was hooked. The film had a rather defiant political message, which was refreshing to see in something so commercial. Natalie Portman was fun to watch, and there's JUST ENOUGH action to keep the thing exciting. 4 out of 5.

Pure....

A downer of a movie, on just about every level. A small boy copes with his mother's drug addiction. Miss Keira Knightley has a supporting role as a crack-addicted waitress, and I gotta say that I think it may have been the best acting I've seen from her. Too bad no one else will see it. 3 out of 5.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:54 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #837
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Pure is excellent. I think you're right though, whilst it's easily Keira's best performance, few, especially on that side of the pond, will see it.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:05 PM   Senior Registered Member #838
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula
Miami Vice, loved it.
oh?
it didn't meet the some-what decent expectations i had for it.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #839
iximisspiggyixi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
oh?
it didn't meet the some-what decent expectations i had for it.
I heard it sucked balls. But I'm going to go see it anyways.
iximisspiggyixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:55 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #840
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Every criticism I have heard of it so far has been fuckwitted or just plain wrong. I can understand if one just doesn't dig Michael Mann's style and approach but anything else is bullshit. It is a bit challenging to watch in parts, but unless you have failed to watch any decent crime film or television over the last ten years then it should be well within your reach intellectually. It is not the television show, it is not some self referential spoof comedy (see Starsky and Hutch), it is not handed to you on a plate, but it is great.