What movie have you seen today? - Page 34 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:16 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #661
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman
As for V For Vendetta, i'm pretty sure no country would end up like that. Especially today.
How utterly ridiculous. Today is an era not at all dissimilar to the rise of the dictators in Europe. Fear makes people do odd things. Hitler's rise to power is a perfect example. The public loved him as he was their saviour at their time of fear. And the virus in V for Vendetta is an analogy to the Reichstag fire.

The fact is the world we live in, post 9/11, has the perfect seeds for a fascist government. Fear of Islamicists is a perfect tool. Many would say Bush is no different to fascist leaders who abused scary events to manipulate the people. That's WHY V was made at this time. The orange jumpsuit Eve wears when she's tortured is a reference to Camp X Ray. The film is designed to show that we actually DO live in a world not too far removed from that.

Today is an era in which something like that could VERY much happen. You should also read 1984 if you haven't. The truth is, we live in a Big Brother state, cameras, control and such things are part of our lives. We just don't notice it.

We're just one massive terrorist attack away from a government like that in V. And who knows, maybe one budding young politician will see that and fake one?
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:54 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #662
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Quote:
As for V For Vendetta, i'm pretty sure no country would end up like that. Especially today.
What total bollocks. Today more than ever the technology exists to allow greater governmental oversight and there seems to be a constant in human behaviour that sees a totalitarian government as a warm blanket to shelter the huddled masses from the bitter winds of self determination.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:12 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #663
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

I just watched Xmen 3, It was good. I liked it. The action was
good and there were a few surprises.
I'm pretty sure Superman and POTC will be better

I also watched the The Da Vinci Code, A little boring but good
overall I like it

Last edited by Ranman; 06-06-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:35 AM   Senior Registered Member #664
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Watched Shindler's List, it was emotional and powerful etc.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:47 AM   Senior Registered Member #665
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula
What total bollocks. Today more than ever the technology exists to allow greater governmental oversight and there seems to be a constant in human behaviour that sees a totalitarian government as a warm blanket to shelter the huddled masses from the bitter winds of self determination.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen. At least to a powerful country.

I just watched the Squid And The Whale. It was extremely good. The kids were very good actors and you really got to know the characters. One of the best movies i've seen in a while. The chick that played Rogue from X-Men is in it and she's pretty much way hotter. That southern accent just made her beat as hell. Anyway... Squid And The Whale, great movie.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:58 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #666
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Yeah, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen. At least to a powerful country.
Well you're wrong then. Powerful countries are the VERY places it happens. Christ you guys need to study your history better. And read more widely. Seriously, read 1984. The technology exists now to actually bring about a truly Big Brother state like it never has done before. 1984 was a pipedream when it was written; now it's a stark possibility.

You really know nothing about world politics man. Why did Bush go from being a moderate republican for his first election, and become a hardline right winger for his second? Because the American electorate, post 9/11, wants a strong authoritarian leader. Strong authoritarian right wing leaders are a small step from becoming fascists. Not saying Bush is one but this ban on homosexual marriage in the constitution? A step in the direction of fascism for sure.

What about the rise of extremist parties across Europe? In France they nearly had a Nationalist President (Le Pen) and we've seen the BNP (British National Party) rise in prominence in the UK. They're winning more and more seats in parliament, and more and more power. They'll probably never amass enough to get into power but only because the major parties will shift ever closer to BNP policies to shut them out. So even if the fascists don't get into power, they'll turn the moderates into extremists, and then the extremists could very easily dip into fascism themselves.

Trust me, study some history, world politics and read 1984. Then tell me V for Vendetta couldn't happen.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:47 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #667
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Bullitt: This is a movie that I've seen in bits and pieces over the years, but never all the way through...until last night. Very stylish. I love those 1960s movies with the jazz soundtracks and the "new" shots. Something tells me the reading script for it was about twenty pages, tops.

Oh yeah, Steve McQueen is the fucking man.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:42 PM   Senior Registered Member #668
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Well you're wrong then. Powerful countries are the VERY places it happens. Christ you guys need to study your history better. And read more widely. Seriously, read 1984. The technology exists now to actually bring about a truly Big Brother state like it never has done before. 1984 was a pipedream when it was written; now it's a stark possibility.

You really know nothing about world politics man. I'm a genious douche slutcock. Why did Bush go from being a moderate republican for his first election, and become a hardline right winger for his second? Because the American electorate, post 9/11, wants a strong authoritarian leader. Strong authoritarian right wing leaders are a small step from becoming fascists. Not saying Bush is one but this ban on homosexual marriage in the constitution? A step in the direction of fascism for sure.

What about the rise of extremist parties across Europe? In France they nearly had a Nationalist President (Le Pen) and we've seen the BNP (British National Party) rise in prominence in the UK. They're winning more and more seats in parliament, and more and more power. They'll probably never amass enough to get into power but only because the major parties will shift ever closer to BNP policies to shut them out. So even if the fascists don't get into power, they'll turn the moderates into extremists, and then the extremists could very easily dip into fascism themselves.

Trust me, study some history, world politics and read 1984. Then tell me V for Vendetta couldn't happen.
V For Vendetta is an exaggeration, damn. I suppose it could happen but it could never reach the level that V For Vendetta reaches. Oh and chill your balls on the history, i mean i only got 9th grade US History1 under my belt. Um...i'm a go with it's just another step of hate being spoken about more. The KKK are still killing gays, blacks, mexicans, or whatever. But "Gays can't marry" won't be put in the Constitution. Besides i get my news from The Daily Show, Colbert Report, and Born Backwards. Yah know i don't care at all actually, i was just rambling let's get back on topic.

I watched The Machinest again. I decided Trevor Reznik is on the list of people i want to be like when i grow up!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #669
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
V For Vendetta is an exaggeration, damn. I suppose it could happen but it could never reach the level that V For Vendetta reaches. Oh and chill your balls on the history, i mean i only got 9th grade US History1 under my belt.
Well, with all due respect, you then have little basis upon which to base that opinion. There have been equally oppressive governments as that in V for Vendetta, all over the world, and Hitler's rise to power is pretty much mirrored in V. True, it was an exageration when it was written, as it was based on Thatcherism, which was hardly THAT extreme, but still, its roots are in 1984 which was written in '48 when Stalin was still about and Hitler had only just been defeated. You're wrong on this, and I'm actually not just saying that for the sake of argument (unusual for me, I know).

Anyway, I've actually not seen a movie today so I'm going to scoot.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:11 AM   Senior Registered Member #670
Swordsman
Voted Best!

Yo...i don't care.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:36 AM   Senior Registered Member #671
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I watched Green Street Hooligans tonight. It was pretty good. But I am interested on how accurate it was... First off, anyone in England see this movie?

I'm sure firms are present, but is it really that serious?
Is the cockney rhyme slang really used that fucking much?
How the hell would you let Elijah Wood on your firm? I mean, some badass American like A.C. Slater, but Elijah Wood? COME ON!?

I'm am waiting patiently for your response.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:57 AM   Senior Registered Member #672
Pygmalion
Pissed

I saw She's The Man the other day, and despite the fact the end's really lame, I actually enjoyed it. Amanda Bynes is hot in drag...
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:46 AM   Senior Registered Member #673
michael22
eternally screwed

the death wish trilogy

what crap, but it will have you saying no dice and this ain't over for a while.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:56 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #674
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Completely forgot to say Jack & Sarah on Friday. God I love that movie.

It's got a top notch cast, Richard E Grant, Judi Dench and Ian McKellen, and the most gorgeous twin babies EVER. It's cute, adorable and incredibly moving...

Yes, ok, I'm a big girl's blouse. Fuck off.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:56 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #675
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkeban
I've only seen one of the other movies in this series, but I enjoyed it.
Batman Begins
Better than the original. Well cast all around. It was interesting seeing Gary Oldman in the role of a decent cop with no fashion sense.
Be Cool
Funny movie. The Rock and Vince Vaughn were priceless. I enjoy it when Hollywood pokes fun at itself.
The Day After Tomorrow
CGI and bunk science run amok.
In Good Company
This was better than the critics gave it credit for. There were some really funny parts and Scarlett was radiant.

Last edited by hasselbrad; 12-06-2006 at 01:12 PM.
hasselbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #676
connie
Newcomer

i havent. cuz i actually have a life. lol
Old 12-06-2006, 03:20 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #677
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
i havent. cuz i actually have a life. lol
Well...I don't. *cries*

Norway? Your exhibit at Epcot is my favorite.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #678
connie
Newcomer

LOL. im sorry for you not having a life. saaad. some people dont for some reason.. lol j/k

epcot? what is that?

maybe im sooo fecking tierd after 4 nightshifts lol
Old 12-06-2006, 03:36 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #679
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie
LOL. im sorry for you not having a life. saaad. some people dont for some reason.. lol j/k

epcot? what is that?

maybe im sooo fecking tierd after 4 nightshifts lol
I know the reason...I just hate people.

Epcot is my daughter's favorite place on Earth. !
Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #680
connie
Newcomer

cool...

yeh. people make me sick. it took me 2 sec and i hated hazzle...

i wonder if other people do the same? or is it just me? loool