who cares about spelling ? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 06:06 PM   Senior Registered Member #1
marine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: France
Posts: 486
who cares about spelling ?

I found that on another forum and found it was funny.

"Read this carefully...

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd
waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of
the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be
in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses
and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs
is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt! tahts so cool!!!

... neat huh?"
marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:37 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #2
duckula
Nobler in the mind.
 
duckula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,214
I care.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:01 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen
 
hasselbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sugar Hill, GA... finally! Civilization!
Posts: 4,590
...and yet, when confronted with "leetspeak", the human mind shuts down.
__________________
"Purgatory's kind of like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really shit, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham."
I'll try being nicer...if you'll try being smarter.
hasselbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:29 PM   Officer #4
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi
 
Flightfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 678
wow lol wow
__________________
....-> 3rd Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!<-.....
The lobbying groups all hate him and thats a good sign.
You may laugh because I'm different, but I laugh because you're all the same! Quote Narg aka Brendon Gilson RIP
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:54 PM   Senior Registered Member #5
Ashley
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 594
Did we have that on the old forum? Still interesting... but I do care about spelling.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:58 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #6
apoggy
Mmm Marmite
 
apoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 1,274
It looks familiar
__________________
If this was school I would be expelled for poor attendance.
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:01 AM   Officer #7
Renegade
Stock Boy
 
Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 794
Spelling reflects intellect.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 06:37 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #8
Digital_Ice
 
Digital_Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 3,741
there must be some revival in this because i couldnt get away from this.... then it died down... and now wherever i go its now back again....

very interesting all the same though
__________________
Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Digital_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
Try giving that to a person who's attempting to learn English as a second language and they'd be royally screwed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
AureaMediocritas
Member
 
AureaMediocritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Paris 15 (yeehaa)
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviljet88
Try giving that to a person who's attempting to learn English as a second language and they'd be royally screwed.
On the contrary , ti wluod be mcuh eiaseir for tehm !
__________________
"I can't tell you how happy I was when that bullet finally went through that bloke's head."
Sir Ian Kershaw on finishing Hitler : Nemesis 1936-1945
AureaMediocritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
Narg
Westie Yobbo
 
Narg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 970
Th4t am 0ld.
__________________
Narg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:53 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #12
Digital_Ice
 
Digital_Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad
...and yet, when confronted with "leetspeak", the human mind shuts down.
see... i find "1337 5p33k" / "leetspeek" easy to read... but bloody annoying...
__________________
Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Digital_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
MrPink
Member
 
MrPink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Spelling reflects intellect.
so true
__________________
A true friend stabs you in the front
MrPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #14
Digital_Ice
 
Digital_Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Spelling reflects intellect.
so true
i disagree, and i take offence at that.

i have trouble spelling, but thats due to dyslexia, not due to me being stupid.
__________________
Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Digital_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:09 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #15
acliff
llama llama duck
 
acliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,818
Exceptions aside, you look smarter if you can spell. And dumber if you can't. Fact of life.
__________________
Leave a message...
acliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 AM   #16
meegaan1
Member
 
meegaan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nevada, USA
Posts: 153
I care too, and I don't think I could handle that. My head hurt from just reading that.
__________________
"I feel less blond now and, er, smarter!'--Keira Knightley
~77th Member of the Keira Knightley Posse!~
Wow... life hates me too... I bet it's a poser.--Chelle
meegaan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:43 AM   Senior Registered Member #17
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by AureaMediocritas
On the contrary , ti wluod be mcuh eiaseir for tehm !
No, because someone who is at the beginning stages of learning a language, pronounce out words in syllables, eg toddlers learning English. Only someone who has a decent knowledge of English can have the capability to just read the "whole word", not letter by letter.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:29 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #18
acliff
llama llama duck
 
acliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,818
In essense your neural pattern matching requires you to be familiar with the word first, otherwise naturally you will not recognise it. The people who have to work out the meaning by breaking the word down into prefixes, suffixes, and then also have to translate it into the language that they think in, it gets slightly more difficult. Especially if they have trouble spelling themselves (which is a given, considering they're learning a language)
__________________
Leave a message...
acliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:59 AM   #19
Urbanebula
Ice's Wingman
 
Urbanebula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Stoke-On-Trent - UK
Posts: 147
I like the way the thread below this is called Skaterboarding.

lol
__________________
--- aut viam inveniam aut faciam ---
Urbanebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.