Box Office Predictions. - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 03-08-2004, 01:26 PM   Knightley News #41
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightleyNews
Estimates are in for this weekend in the US and finds KA down to No.16:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend...wknd=31&p=.htm

UK figures are out on Tuesday night. Think it'll be No.1 ? It would be nice, in Arthur's homeland, after all ! (although I did enjoy Garfield, also out last Friday, but perhaps that was because of JLH's presence)

Paul

To answer my own question, King Arthur HAS debuted at No.1 in the UK, taking £1.9m and knocking Spider-Man 2 off the top.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3531008.stm

Paul
Old 03-08-2004, 03:41 PM   First Class Member Officer #42
Sarah
Nice

Congratulations are in order for King Arthur.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:17 PM   Senior Registered Member #43
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Question: How much is 1.9 million in american currency? I heard that KA beat out spidey (yah) but I'm a little rusty on my exchange lately. thanks.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:46 PM   First Class Member Officer #44
Sarah
Nice

About 3. something million dollars
Old 03-08-2004, 05:55 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #45
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

£1,900,000.00 is equal to $3,469,786.01
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:44 PM   First Class Member Officer #46
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
£1,900,000.00 is equal to $3,469,786.01
At least I got the 3! I was going to use http://www.dollars2pounds.com, but then I couldn't work out how many 000000's I needed. Thick when it comes to maths, so thank you.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:29 PM   Senior Registered Member #47
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Thank apoggy and sarah. I was too lazy to figure it out by myself(two weeks left before school starts again) But, after seeing the opening amount for KA, a question occurs- Is that fairly good for opening weekend in England? I'm just curious, since you see all these 50 million+ openings for spiderman, I,robot,and more, but openings that are relatively small overseas.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:06 PM   First Class Member Officer #48
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
Thank apoggy and sarah. I was too lazy to figure it out by myself(two weeks left before school starts again) But, after seeing the opening amount for KA, a question occurs- Is that fairly good for opening weekend in England? I'm just curious, since you see all these 50 million+ openings for spiderman, I,robot,and more, but openings that are relatively small overseas.
Well all you have to do is consider the size of England compared with America. I think it is a good opening number, but I've never really studied box office actions so i'm not sure. Well, its at number 1, so thats pretty damn good.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:49 PM   Knightley News #49
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

That £1.9m is across 400 screens in the UK (ie. £5k/$9k per screen). It's still poor compared with Pirates' UK debut which was £6.1m across 462 screens (£13k/$24k per screen).

Spidey was in its third (?) week in the UK, so it didn't take much knocking off, and Garfield was the only other major newbie this week.

KA also debuted at No.1 in Denmark, Netherlands, Thailand and Belgium. Total non-US box office to date is $31.9m with quite a few countries to come.

Paul
Old 03-08-2004, 08:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #50
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I'm really excited to see the movie do so well across the world. Personally, I thought that with such a poor running in the states, I didn't think that KA would have done all that great anywhere else. But, with an excellent ensemble cast, good director/producer, and the fact that American in general are not good choosers, i'm glad it beat out spiderman.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:19 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #51
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Knew it'd do ok...but it still wasn't going to make major money...that's why it couldn't stand up to Spiderman...
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:39 AM   #52
alby

Worldwide gross is $80.7 million and the overseas portion is $31.9 million as of Monday.

Just wanted to say that Bourne Supremacy is doing excellent. Great movie.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:38 AM   #53
Samurai Deli
Newcomer

They were very stupid for releasing it juts one week after Spider-Man 2.

"No fear, no regret."

"We make war so that we may live in peace." - Aristotle
Samurai Deli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:58 AM   Officer #54
mufiman
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Deli
well not that stupid. they could have released it on the same week. it was probably good positioning, because they were only up against anchorman, and a one week old spiderman. if they released it later, they would have had competition from $50million giants i, robot, the bourne supremacy, and the village. spiderman only grossed 45mil. slightly less, but it still would have been worse to release it later. and it had already been slated for the july 7th release for months. changing it could possibly confuse moviegoers of the actual release date. there was pretty much nothing they could do for the release date. its the summer, and every week has strong competition. it just didnt appeal very strongly with the US, with keira being the only recognizable face in the cast. it could have been better if they released it in the fall, possibly winter. but this was disneys big summer movie, so they had to put it there.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:03 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #55
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Actually it was original scheduled for Christmas 2004...and Fuqua was NOT pleased at having to rush his work...perhaps this showed in the film (that it was rushed) and the Christmas release date might've suited better, especially as the scenery in the film looks rather wintery.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:24 PM   Senior Registered Member #56
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Actually it was original scheduled for Christmas 2004...and Fuqua was NOT pleased at having to rush his work...perhaps this showed in the film (that it was rushed) and the Christmas release date might've suited better, especially as the scenery in the film looks rather wintery.

The Bourne Supremacy was also filmed during winter. I thought that was preety "cool" since it made summer less warm, at least for a day(both movies, I mean)
Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 AM   #57
alby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Deli
There have been a lot of successful films this summer. It's difficult to imagine what else could have been done, given the competition. Spiderman broke records, I Robot and Bourne Supremacy went on a nice run, etc.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:44 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #58
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
There have been a lot of successful films this summer. It's difficult to imagine what else could have been done, given the competition. Spiderman broke records, I Robot and Bourne Supremacy went on a nice run, etc.
I repeat...scheduled for a Christmas release...looks to me much more like a christmas action film than a summer one as it seems a little more dramatic and dark.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:03 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #59
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

They should have waited. I think the release date hurt the American box office numbers most.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:08 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #60
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
They should have waited. I think the release date hurt the American box office numbers most.
Yah...truth. Clearly shown by how KA was numero uno in the UK Box Office...same film...can't put it ALL down to the fact we know more of the cast...I think it pretty much goes down to the release date (although I could see how casting another well known star alongside Keira would've been good too).