Box Office Predictions. - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 08-07-2004, 08:09 PM   #1
Kyle_West

Box Office Predictions.

I wanted another King Arthur thread. What do you think opening week? Maybe weekend. When I went the theatre was packed. I was very suprised. Many think this will be a major box office flop and may not reach the 100 million dollar mark. They say 3rd opening weekend. I say it gives spiderman a good run at #1, but will come up short. close behind will be Anchorman. Hard to tell but what the hell?

1.Spiderman 2-40 Million
2.King Arthur-30 Million
3.Anchorman-25 Million

Everything else doesn't matter. Do you think any chance to top Spiderman? Apparently I don't.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:36 PM   Senior Registered Member #2
Louie

I think KA will do well at the office, but it won't be able to compete with Spiderman (not many movies can). Anchorman won't even come close to Spiderman or KA.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:02 AM   Officer #3
mufiman
Officer

Spider-man will be #1 no doubt. but i dont think KA will beat Anchorman. i think more people are interested in seeing Anchorman because its one of the few comedies coming out this summer. plus, KA opened on a Wednesday, which would make the Fri-Sun less than it would have been had it opened on Friday. but you never know.

1) Spider-man 2/45Mil
2) Anchorman/35
3)KA/25

found the box office numbers for Wednesday. it didnt do too well, but it was a wednesday, so hopefully the numbers will go up on the weekend.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...4-07-07&p=.htm

Last edited by mufiman; 09-07-2004 at 02:47 AM.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:13 AM   Senior Registered Member #4
Spire
InSpire Me

I don't expect King Arthur to fare particularly well, but you never know. Anchorman is actually highly anticipated, already being billed as on the funniest movies ever. I've heard it compared to Airplane, The Holy Grail, Annie Hall, and Caddyshack.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:31 AM   Senior Registered Member #5
ryan

King Arthur will bring in a *lot* more than 25 mil for a Wednesday through Sunday opening week.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:17 PM   Knightley News #6
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

First day takings were $4.8m:
http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/09/news...g_arthur.reut/
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...kingarthur.htm

Paul
Old 10-07-2004, 12:06 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #7
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Which suggests at best that the 25 mill estimate will more or less be matched, or more likely that it'll take in a fair bit less...so err...GG Mufiman
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:39 AM   Senior Registered Member #8
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I really think King Arthur will make it to #1 this week on account of a few reasons: Spider-Man 2 has been out for 2 weeks, so many people have already seen it. 2, it is a Jerry Bruckheimer(s/p?) film, so go figure. 3, Many little school boys below 15 will drag their moms to go see it for Keira. I'm predicting a good 25-50 mill. for opening weekend. To some that may seem a little high, but I've seen weirder happenings( Van Helsing, or The Day After Tommorow, anyone?) Also, Anchorman stands no chance, except for starring one of the funniest comedians alife or living. Feel free to argue/ agree to your fullest ability.

Last edited by frodo1511; 11-07-2004 at 05:58 AM.
frodo1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:15 AM   Officer #9
mufiman
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
I really think King Arthur will make it to #1 this week on account of a few reasons: Spider-Man 2 has been out for 2 weeks, so many people have already seen it. 2, it is a Jerry Bruckheimer(s/p?) film, so go figure. 3, Many little school boys below 15 will drag their moms to go see it for Keira. I'm predicting a good 25-50 mill. for opening weekend. To some that may seem a little high, but I've seen weirder happenings( Van Helsing, or The Day After Tommorow, anyone?) Also, Anchorman stands no chance, except for starring one of the funniest comedians alife or living. Feel free to argue/ agree to your fullest ability.
no, it really isnt going to be number 1. no way. it will be number 3, definately, just look at the friday estimates.
http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart...4-07-09&p=.htm
anchorman doubled KA's opening and spiderman 2 nearly tripled it. theres no way it can pass both of them. 50 million is impossible. 25 mil tops. anchorman doesnt stand a chance because one of the funniest comedians is starring? isnt that a bit contradictory?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:22 AM   Officer #10
Renegade
Stock Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufiman
no, it really isnt going to be number 1. no way. it will be number 3, definately, just look at the friday estimates.
http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart...4-07-09&p=.htm
anchorman doubled KA's opening and spiderman 2 nearly tripled it. theres no way it can pass both of them. 50 million is impossible. 25 mil tops. anchorman doesnt stand a chance because one of the funnies comedians is starring? isnt that a bit contradictory?
I agree. Spiderman and Anchorman just seem have more appeal than King Arthur. Trailers for Anchorman have definitely proved it to be a contender for the top comedy for the summer. And for Spiderman...well, everyone loves him.
I predict a solid 30 million the first weekend.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:42 AM   #11
Kyle_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I predict a solid 30 million the first weekend.
For Anchorman. King Arthur making 5 million on a Friday!?!?! 5 day earning wont make 30 million. King Arthur will make less than it took to make it.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:44 AM   Officer #12
mufiman
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
The movie will have lost money, i think someone somewhere said it took about 80 million to make. It may not reach that. Its the next Waterworld. Ha!
actually, Bruckheimer [sp?] said it was 110-120 million. but thats not so bad, because the adventures of pluto nash took over 100 million to make and grossed somewhere near 5 million domesticly. thats the record i think. KA will probably make a profit because its going to open all over the world. they just wont make back their budget in the US. it could happen. it took 200 million to make troy, and it only made about 130 in the U.S. but its total gross is over 400 million.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:50 AM   #13
Kyle_West

Troy had Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, Eric Bana.

Those names alone made 250,000 american teenage girls cream in there pants. Thats a big way they made money. Imagine if it was pg-13. the madness.

Clive Owen, Ioan Mcgruffed (However you spell it), Ray Winstone
Noone sees it for the "hotness" judging by the fact they haven't the slightest clue of who they are.

I guess it could earn it back, in europe it will be bigger I suppose. But in the US the film will be a flop.

O yeah, King Arthur is alot better than Troy.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:41 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
I guess it could earn it back, in europe it will be bigger I suppose. But in the US the film will be a flop.
It'll make tons in the UK box office I suspect, given that the cast is largely (entirely?) British...Keira alone should help it do well here.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:11 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I'm still going for a good 25-50 mill. for opening weekend. Anchorman looks like just another lackluster comedy with no social values. It wont even be able to touch Dodgeball, or Spider Man/ King Arthur. Also, how many times has a new movie beaten out a week old one for the top spot, hmmm? The only reason Spider Man did so great it's opening weekend is because it came out during the 4th of July, so of course many people saw it( I did twice). but we will only know who won tommorow. Next, King Arthur had a so so opening day because it came out on a wednsday, where everyone had work, so of course A friday premiere(Anchorman) would be able to double KA's.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:30 PM   Knightley News #16
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

Fri - Sun estimates are in:
1. Spider-Man 2: $46m
2. Anchorman: $28m
3. King Arthur: $15.2m

with KA totalling $23.6m since Wednesday.

From Variety:
Spidey clings to top

'Anchorman' is second with $28 mil

By Gabriel Snyder

As expected, "Spider-Man 2" stayed on top of the box office chart in its second weekend. Playing at 4,166 locations, the comicbook adaptation picked up another $46 million over the weekend, according to Sony's estimates.
That brings its cumulative gross to an amazing $257.3 million, making "Spider-Man 2" the fastest film ever, in 12 days, to cross $250 million. Past record holder was "Shrek 2," which took 13 days to reach the mark. "Spider-Man 2" is also running well ahead of the original "Spider-Man," which had made $233 million through its first 12 days of release in 2002. "Spider-Man's" final domestic tally was $403.7 million and "Shrek 2" has accumulated $418.6 million during its U.S. run so far, after adding $4.5 million this weekend. But Sony distrib prexy Rory Bruer wasn't ready to make any predictions on whether "Spider-Man 2" would surpass those pics.
"I'm afraid to jinx it," he said. "I feel like I need to knock on wood, spin around three times and throw salt over my shoulder." Debuting with a strong second-place showing, DreamWorks' "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" scored $28 million in its first three days. The Will Ferrell laffer played 3,091 engagements. "It's a very good opening in this crowded marketplace," said DreamWorks distrib topper Jim Tharp. Meanwhile, Walt Disney's "King Arthur" placed a distant third for the weekend. Booked at 3,086 theaters, the medieval epic grossed $15.5 million during the three-day frame. Since opening Wednesday, the knight's tale has a cumulative gross of $23.6 million. Disney distrib chief Chuck Viane called Arthur's opening "a very solid double," adding, "We don't play for the weekends. We play for longevity."
Also opening this weekend was MGM's "Sleepover," which bowed with $4.2 million from 2,207 locations, just good enough for the No. 10 spot on the weekend chart. In its third weekend, "Fahrenheit 9/11" made $11 million, the fourth biggest gross of the weekend, a 32% drop from its three-day perf over last week's holiday weekend. Michael Moore's documentary expanded to 2,011 locations for the frame, 286 more theaters than last weekend. Gross now stands at $80.1 million.

Paul

Last edited by KnightleyNews; 11-07-2004 at 08:29 PM.
KnightleyNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:40 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #17
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I'm god-awful at numbers, but I don't think King Arthur will meet it's box office expectations. For example, I work at the movie theater, and this weekend (Friday & Saturday, our two busiest days by far) Spiderman was sold out on two of the three screens we have it on, Anchorman was near full, and King Arthur filled up a little more than half of the theater.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:45 PM   Officer #18
mufiman
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
I'm god-awful at numbers, but I don't think King Arthur will meet it's box office expectations. For example, I work at the movie theater, and this weekend (Friday & Saturday, our two busiest days by far) Spiderman was sold out on two of the three screens we have it on, Anchorman was near full, and King Arthur filled up a little more than half of the theater.
i agree, i highly doubt it will win back its budget, not with the low appeal, bad reviews and poor box office. plus, this is the summer, which means there is going to be 1 or 2 big movies coming out per week. doesnt look good either way, but you never know.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:35 PM   Senior Registered Member #19
frodo1511
Pin Dick

When I saw it on wednsday, there was only 10 people in the theater. I thought that it was only empty because it opened in the middle of the week, right after the big 4th of July weekend. hopefully, it will have picked up during the weekend.
Old 18-07-2004, 08:14 PM   Knightley News #20
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

It's down to No.6 this week.

Variety says:
Things did not improve for Walt Disney's "King Arthur" after its disappointing opening. It reported $6.9 million at 3,086 bookings for the frame, down 54% from its bow, with a cume of $37.9 million.

Paul