King Arthur Review. - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 09-07-2004, 03:04 AM   Senior Registered Member #21
Spire
InSpire Me

I saw King Arthur today, and I'm kinda mixed about it. It was better than I expected, but I didn't expect very much at all. I've heard several complaints about how the plot was incoherent, and that was not the case at all, it was quite simple actually. The action wasn't anything we haven't seen before, and some of the sword-fighting was pretty lame. It was predictable, the dialogue campy in spots (but good in others), and the acting average, but it's not a total loss. For one, Keira Knightley is incredibly beautiful but we already know that. If you love Keira as much as I do, then this film is worth seeing.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:53 AM   Senior Registered Member #22
ryan

The movie was alright. I liked Ioan's and Keira's characters. Clive Owen was pretty decent. Nothing spectacular, though.
The action sequences were pretty good, but I felt they could of either been more intense, or better choreographed.

Some of the important scenes/lines could have either been written better, or just said better I think.

I'd probably give it a 6.5 (maybe a 7) out of 10, and that's decent overall.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:10 PM   #23
narya

Holy mother of crap, i saw it last night!

It was fantastic..I don't know where all the bad reviews came from!

*26th Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!*
narya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:16 AM   Officer #24
Renegade
Stock Boy

Bleh...The movie was good but not great. Battle scenes were somewhat entertaining. The fight on the ice front was creative though. The plot was fairly simple but I thought it had a couple holes. To me, it just didn't quite feel complete. For example, I don't know if it's just me, but I didn't quite catch how Guinevere and Merlin knew another the first time they met. But whatever. Overall, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:53 AM   #25
chillyfrog15
Newcomer

Quote:
To me, it just didn't quite feel complete. For example, I don't know if it's just me, but I didn't quite catch how Guinevere and Merlin knew another the first time they met.
That's how I feel about it. Not to mention I was all hyped up for a big, strong, not happy-go-lucky cheesy ending, then I hear that Disney made them put one in. It didn't mesh with the rest of the movie at all. Not bad overall, it would probably be better the second time.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:57 PM   Knightley News #26
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

I've just seen a copy of the movie and, while it was better than I was expecting, it still could've been better. The battle scenes were well-fought and acted, and the 'mood' was set quite successfully (although you could spot where the editor's knife had been). But the incidental music I hated. A lot of the scenes would have had their effect enhanced by the lack of music, not its presence. Clive Owen comes across better than he does in the trailers but the Lancelot voice-over was (without giving away any spoilers) anachronistic, to say the least. But the script's character-building was not the best - the characters had no depth to them, you just didn't FEEL for them and barely got to know their names.

And it was far from a starring movie for Keira Knightley. I know she's the biggest 'name' in it (especially for American audiences), but she was in barely a quarter of the scenes and probably speaks less than a hundred words in the entire movie. From the trailers and promos we are lead to believe she is far more central to the story than Arthur. Thankfully, for a film called King Arthur, she's not. All you've seen of Guinevere in trailers, promos and TV spots is about all there is of her, barring a couple of tiny other scenes. I'll still go to see it on the big screen when it's out over here, but I wouldn't go back again, like I did for Pirates. I'd give it 7 out of 10.

Paul
Old 11-07-2004, 03:59 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #27
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

CAUTION: SPOILERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
but I thought it had a couple holes. To me, it just didn't quite feel complete. For example, I don't know if it's just me, but I didn't quite catch how Guinevere and Merlin knew another the first time they met. But whatever. Overall, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.
What they didn't explain very well, was that in this version, Guinevere is Merlin's daughter (at least she is in the screenplay, where they make it very clear). This is how she knows so much about Arthur, and has that fore-sight. After watching the movie a second time, I think this helps to explain why she gets intimate with Arthur, and why she eventually marries him (and I think this connects with what someone else said about her *knowing* he would be King, and not Lancelot.)

I also thought there were a few plot holes. I saw it a second time, and could fill in some of the blanks while watching it, since I had aready seen the ending.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #28
Edward

lol paul

did you download it? 1 recorded using a camcorder in at the pictures?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:51 PM   Knightley News #29
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
lol paul

did you download it? 1 recorded using a camcorder in at the pictures?
Let's just say car boot sales are not only good for buying other people's tat anymore. They're great for US films months before they're out over here. Naughty, but nice

Paul
Old 13-07-2004, 03:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #30
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Sorry, took me a while to stop being lazy and giving my "review" on the film. As of now, It's the best movie of the summer. I saw it on day one with my friends, and all of us gave it our higest rating- BadAss Anyway, I thought the story was excellent, the dialogue A+, and props for whoever casted the parts for the movie. Clive is the Arthur I always thought of, same with Ioan, and Ray Winstone(s/p). Same goes for whoever played Tristan, Galahad, Dagonet, and the last knight( whatever his name is Oh, am I forgeting someone? hmmm....
oh yes, KEIRA!!! I thought she played Guinevere superbly, although much different than what I imagined. The graphics were above average, except for the ice in the ice battle(I found the ice better in the Day After Tommorow). The only movie I think that could even come close to King Arthur's success this summer is The Village.
Now for the cons. I didn't like how so many people could get confused with all the knights names. All are different from one another. I guess it's the old people that see the movie will have that problem. Also, I found the violence dumbed down from what you see in the trailers. But, from what I've heard, Touchstone will release an R-rated version of the film, with all of the scenes cut from the theatrical release. And finally, Keira dosen't come into the movie until 50 minutes in! I had to keep one of my friends from leaving the theater, since he only came to see Keira. Other than these puny cons, KA is a great summer movie, and worth more than everyone is giving it.

Last edited by frodo1511; 14-07-2004 at 04:43 AM.
frodo1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 04:05 AM   #31
Kyle_West

It had depth on SOME of the characters. You learn Bors, Lancelot, Arthur, and maybe a few other knights names.

I didn't hear galahad once. But if you were going into detail on the knights make the ones that die. Not the ones that live and don't care about. I bet 50% of people say "Oooh which one was that?" But I liked it, as I've said 5893285 times.
Old 13-07-2004, 04:10 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_West
It had depth on SOME of the characters. You learn Bors, Lancelot, Arthur, and maybe a few other knights names.

I didn't hear galahad once. But if you were going into detail on the knights make the ones that die. Not the ones that live and don't care about. I bet 50% of people say "Oooh which one was that?" But I liked it, as I've said 5893285 times.
It helps if you had a psycho-bitch english teacher who spent 2 months on the King Arthur legend, so picking out the name/Knights was no problem for me
Old 14-07-2004, 02:51 AM   #33
Kyle_West

well

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/eber...per/today.html

The most respected critics in the USA gave to two thumbs up.
Old 14-07-2004, 04:45 AM   Senior Registered Member #34
frodo1511
Pin Dick

It's about time someone gave this movie it's credit. I'm sick and tired of all the critics giving it low ratings/stars/thumbs-up/whatever. Finally, I agree with a critic on this one.
Old 15-07-2004, 05:32 AM   Senior Registered Member #35
Narg
Westie Yobbo

I just went and seen it, first session in Australia in my area, i thought it was great, liked all of it, i dont know what the critics are smoking, but i thought the movie was atleast a 8/10.
Old 15-07-2004, 05:57 AM   Senior Registered Member #36
frodo1511
Pin Dick

It deserves more from the critics. I mean, this summer is full of sequals/ remakes, and KA definatley stands out from the pack (in a good way that is
Old 15-07-2004, 06:05 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #37
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Frodo, what are they paying you? And what happens on November 9th?

I didn't like how Keira came in 50 minutes into the movie either. Her role was pointless as it is, and I think they just threw her in there because you can't have King Arthur without Guinevere. If that's the case, they should have brought her into the movie earlier.

Check out my blog:
Old 15-07-2004, 06:09 AM   Senior Registered Member #38
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
Frodo, what are they paying you? And what happens on November 9th?

I didn't like how Keira came in 50 minutes into the movie either. Her role was pointless as it is, and I think they just threw her in there because you can't have King Arthur without Guinevere. If that's the case, they should have brought her into the movie earlier.

What do you mean? I am just posting on how underrated this movie is. I thought it was really good, and a breath of fresh air from all these sequals.
As for November 9th, well, you'll see...
Old 15-07-2004, 06:21 AM   #39
Kyle_West

heh

I didn't see anything wrong with it. If you're talking about how you didn't like the fact you didn't see keira for 50 minutes. Then it sounds like you didn't wanna see the movie just Keira. I liked it, and it showed her as somewhat of a badass chick. Plus I saw and interview and they said this movie was based on new facts discovered....well at least recent facts. But people say it doesn't follow the story at all. What gives?
Old 15-07-2004, 06:25 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #40
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
What do you mean? I am just posting on how underrated this movie is. I thought it was really good, and a breath of fresh air from all these sequals.
As for November 9th, well, you'll see...
I was just kidding Except now I think the whole 11/9 thing is wierd.

Check out my blog: