King Arthur Review. - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 07-07-2004, 04:53 PM   #1
Kyle_West

King Arthur Review.

Well since us lucky Americans get it today, I figured I'd make a review thread. I am going to see it tonight, if all goes as planned. So other Americans post what you thought of the flick and eventually maybe all these other people in parts of the world can post what they thought here also.

When I get back tonight I will post the KA review.

*edit* Down below.

Last edited by Kyle_West; 08-07-2004 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Wanted to get more people to look.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:46 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #2
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I'm scared to see it based on the review I read (which I posted in K.A. Promotions), but I'll probably see it tonight.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:37 PM   Senior Registered Member #3
Spire
InSpire Me

From what I've read, this film will most likely suck, but I don't care. My eyes will be transfixed on Keira the entire time. Much like my viewing of BILB, I couldn't take my eyes off of her, all the scenes without her were just filler. PotC is actually a very enjoyable movie whether Keira is onscreen or not, but King Arthur, *sigh* I'm not so sure.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:20 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
ryan

I'm going to see it tomorrow at 6:45.
I'll post what I think when I get back.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:35 PM   Knightley News #5
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

From the published reviews so far, only about 25-30% are positive, but what do the critics know? Go see it anyway. I usually believe the opposite to what they write.

And even the negative reviews are praising Keira's 'powerful performance'.

Paul
Old 08-07-2004, 02:46 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #6
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

They have to criticise movies every so often...it's what they get paid for. So far the worst criticisms are that it doesn't follow the mythology most adhere to (Well...here's me thinking Jerry already explained it wasn't going to follow the typical mythology...WAY back...before it began filming...oh well) and the fact it's grim (didn't Jerry ALSO say it was going to be grim and gritty?).

From the ads and trailers it looks EXACTLY as I expected it to...so I'm looking forward to it. I'll go watch it the day of my last exam (about 4 days after it comes out) so that'll be an excellent treat to look forward to.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 03:42 AM   #7
Kyle_West

It's official!

Critics couldn't find there asses with both hands.

King Arthur is great. Yes this coming from the guy who thought Spiderman was shit. Anything I said about Clive Owen not being lead material, all bullshit. Clive is outstanding. All his knights are incredible. They're funny, and they are bad ass in the fight scenes. Ioan does a magnificant job as Lancelot. I can't comment on all the knights, but they're all great. The Villians, also good. They are ruthless and thats what they needed to be and it's perfect. I can't say it enough, everyone did there jobs perfectly. Keira, she didn't come into the movie until half way through it. But when she was in it, she really did her stuff. But Ioan did the best job.

The fight scenes, very well done. Great effects they did. The "Ice" battle is one of the best looking scenes I've ever seen. Keira hands down gets the best line in the movie, but I won't repeat it. I know some of you thought it would be pointless action. You're way off there is only three battle scenes. Two of them are near the end. The other is in the opening.

The Dialogue is great and you really get to know the characters. I don't know how some critics can put this movie down. I am going again tomorrow to see this movie, one of the best this year in my opinion. Am I the only person that saw this movie opening day?

*edit* As far as following the legend goes I am not very good with the facts of the legend. But it was a good movie. It may not follow it at all for all I know, but it's a good movie. Plus if all the arthur movies were the same (all bagillion of them) then they would be boring. If this isn't the legend at all then at least it's different.

Last edited by Kyle_West; 08-07-2004 at 04:37 AM. Reason: So people will know I know nothing of the legend...almost nothing
Old 08-07-2004, 04:13 AM   #8
newyorker

I also saw this movie the day it came out, and I do agree with you it was a very good movie. I disagree with most of the reviews that I read as well, I think it was underrated.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:32 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #9
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I'm going to have to disagree with the two who have already posted their opinions. Although it wasn't as bad as the reviews I've read, I didn't think it was fantastic either. It did get better towards the middle, but I thought it started out a bit slow, with choppy cinematography. Some of the dialogue was well written and delivered (specifically the knights; I thought they were all quite good), however there were others that were laughable (like the Saxons). Some of the acting made me cringe. Like the first time the woads come charging out of the forrest, you can almost see them counting until it's time to start running and yelling. I thought Keira was good, though she wasn't in it a whole lot (another reason I don't agree with her being front and center on the poster). I thought this was one of Keira's best performances (I just wish she would do more with her *eyes*. Eyes can imply and tell a lot.) Clive Owen was by far the best, acting wise. The fight scenes were good, except for the few parts that just seemed...*overly* choreographed. As for Keira's strap of leather that she wears in the final battle...that is a complete joke. She objectifies herself in exchange for playing a woman who can kick ass. And plus, realistically, she would have fallen out. My opinions of course. Even after all I said, I found it entertaining, and I'll probably end up watching it again.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:16 AM   #10
narya

I was planning on seeing last night when it first came out, but then i realised it wasnt even playing where i live, so i'm seeing it tonight, a few towns away lol

*26th Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!*
narya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:54 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #11
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

My feelings on King Arthur...

...and the f@#ktard, Bob Ross, who reviewed it for the Tampa Tribune are as follows...
He gave it a "C". To put things in perspective, he gave White Chicks a "C-". He is, quite clearly, an idiot.
I'll agree that King Arthur isn't the greatest movie ever made, but I'll never believe that it is only marginally better than White Chicks. He claimed that he couldn't follow the plot. If that's the case, then I think it's time to look into other career options. I didn't find it difficult at all, and I'm a college dropout! Pay attention, Bob.
I was a little disappointed with the cinematography, but I thought the costume design was fantastic. Penny Rose, who was responsible for PoTC, did a wonderful job. The knights had a gritty realism rather than a shiny idealism, which I found quite pleasing.
As for Keira's leather strap, I don't really see how that could be construed as "objectifying". Some sort of skimpy, cleavage enhancing leather bustier would have been "objectifying". That thing looks like sheer torture. My man tits hurt just thinking about it.
Of course, according to what I've read, the "historically accurate" costume would have been "bare breasts and ankles". (Please refer to the blooper reel of your PoTC DVD to find any humor in that quote) I, for one, would not be complaining, although I'm guessing that would be seen as "objectifying".
As for her performance, Keira was fantastic. She is breathtaking, as usual. It's really a shame that her character doesn't appear until she does.
I give King Arthur a "B+".
(And yes Kyle, the "Ice Battle" scene was fantastic)
Old 08-07-2004, 01:05 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #12
Oencross
Officer

All of you ass holes in America who get to watch the movie can fuck off. All of you suck ass, I'm in the UK and i was expecting to be able to see it, but NOOOOOO... UK gets it after for some ENTIRELY fucked reason. And since I am in the UK it angers me greatly, anyways, I hope the film is wonderful.
Oencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 03:46 PM   #13
ActinDiva
Newcomer

I have to agree with you that Ioan did the best!
ActinDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:57 PM   #14
A2thaMe

King Arthur Review

I saw King Arthur yesterday. It was a lot better than any of the negative reviews I had read. Keira's character was very powerful and empowering. The knights were all very noble but in a real, down to earth sort of way. I think anyone who likes action movies or just likes Keira Knightley would like it.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #15
Edward

grr, not out til 31st here
Old 08-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #16
Kyle_West

i forgot

I meant to comment on Ray Winstone's performance as Bors. He, I think was the "fan favorite" it seemed everytime he opened his mouth I laughed. He was very funny, and he could switch it right back into a serious attitude and have the audience left breathless. He was fantastic also.

I didn't wanna edit the comment earlier.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:33 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #17
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Ah yes...

...a baby's arm...holding an apple.
It's a shame that couldn't go in the trailer.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #18
Object Of Affection

yeah it's pretty lames this country seems to get EVERYTHING LAST !!!!!!!!!!!!

HERE'S A LIST OF WHAT WE GET LAST,

moooovies,
DvDs,
Games,

And wheRe the helL have lucky charmS Gone

But still we might get King Arthur in abit early or just sit here and wait for it to appear on the net to download
Old 08-07-2004, 07:58 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #19
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Calm down with the capitalisation and the random shift pressing, its annoying and falls into the netspeak catagory as its difficult to read, sign of immaturity I'm told.
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:16 AM   Senior Registered Member #20
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
Calm down with the capitalisation and the random shift pressing, its annoying and falls into the netspeak catagory as its difficult to read, sign of immaturity I'm told.

8 days till i go see it , 15th in Australia, cant wait .