Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt? - Page 6 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

View Poll Results: Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt a child?
YES! 39 66.10%
NO! 20 33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-04-2006, 02:38 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #101
Leonie
Elle

I don't know who argued that growing up with gay foster parents would make you gay. That's bollocks.

I wasn't ever talking about that, only about the developmental influence being raised by a same-sex couple might have. But, as I said in my previous post, that might be preferable over living in a hostile environment or in a shelter of sorts. All I'm saying is that being raised by happy loving parents (in the straightest sence of the word) would be the most ideal situation, with being raised by happy loving parents in the not so straight setting as a good second. Having both a male and female role model when growing up is preferable, but if that's out, I'd say two loving parents, regardless of their sex, is a pretty good second option.
Old 19-04-2006, 12:28 AM   #102
Scaramouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie
Good for you, but the one who's wrong is you. One case does not make a rule, and arguing like it does puts your entire argument on thin ice.
We host the christmas party every year for GLBT parents with children. All of them are quite happy and fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbery
Yea...but when your older and start learning about these things and then realised its happened to you...no matter how nice they are and how well you've been bought up...you'll prolly still think about it and think of lots of issues or something...but then again you might not...but i would. And when people you know find out about it and start learning about it...they could (not saying they would) but they could start taking the piss outta you for it
But you will be older, you won't take 100% of what you learned if you have a brain and you can make your own decisions. If you were raised with it it's going to be fine.
Scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 05:11 AM   Senior Registered Member #103
Rob The BLack Douglas

Ones sexual orientation does not determine how good a parent one will be.

Being the biological parent doesn't mean you will be a good parent.

Let homosexuals adopt, it's tough enough to find good foster parents with just heterosexual couples.
To deny love is to deny life.
Love is as necessary as oxygen.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/robslibrary/
http://www.myspace.com/kilted_robespierre
Rob The BLack Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 09:51 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #104
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramouche
We host the christmas party every year for GLBT parents with children. All of them are quite happy and fine.
Nice try, but it still doesn't work, officially. No control group etc. But it's good that a large group of the children are all happy eh.
Old 19-04-2006, 10:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #105
Arbery

Quote:
But you will be older, you won't take 100% of what you learned if you have a brain and you can make your own decisions. If you were raised with it it's going to be fine.
Thats so not true! It aint always going to be fine...depends on who you are and where you are...its not always a happy ever after ya know!
Old 19-04-2006, 02:58 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #106
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I do think it's sad when I look into my best friend's eyes when he says "I want to have kids someday." In a way, I do feel like they should be able to adopt, because I think he would make a great father and he's got a lot of love to give.

However; I believe a child MUST have both a mother and a father. Doesn't even have to be biological. Just someone to play the role as both.

Besides, two friends (for example, a gay man and straight woman) having a baby together hasn't been unheard of.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #107
Scaramouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie
Nice try, but it still doesn't work, officially. No control group etc. But it's good that a large group of the children are all happy eh.

I have never met a child unhappy because they had gay parents. [Wait, I kind of lied, I met a boy who was adopted when he was 13, he had been taken away from his parents who told him homosexuality was wrong. He was put into a home with two gay men. What a silly thing to do, they should have asked the boy. >.< ] But that's 1 in... 50? probably more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbery
Thats so not true! It aint always going to be fine...depends on who you are and where you are...its not always a happy ever after ya know!
No sadly, it's not always going to be fine. Just like hetero parents aren't always the best, and they don't always get along with their kids. It's the same thing with homo parents. But that's human nature.

Another reason we should make it legal, is so we don't deal with heart break. My best friends dad [gay] he wanted a family sooo badly, so he pretened to be straight and married her mom and had a baby. They stayed together for about 4 years, but then got a divoce when he told her he was gay. The mom and dad are still friends, but you can see how much that would hurt. If adoption had been legal they wouldn't have to go through all that.
Old 19-04-2006, 07:09 PM   Senior Registered Member #108
Arbery

thats still not to say it will save heartbreak...gay couples will prolly split up aswell you know...it aint always a happy ever after...
Old 19-04-2006, 11:54 PM   Senior Registered Member #109
Rob The BLack Douglas

All the reasons sited here against gay adoption apply just as easily to heterosexual couples.

The system is rife with abuse and the children who are up for adoption need good homes. They need love and tenderness, to say that a gay couple cannot provide a loving caring environment is bullshit.
Old 20-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #110
Scaramouche

as someone earlier stated, the reasons against gay adoption are all flawed.
Old 20-04-2006, 12:48 AM   Officer #111
EmotionSickness
Cutie

Quote:
as someone earlier stated, the reasons against gay adoption are all flawed.
No, they're not. Not all of them. Most of the arguments FOR gay adoption are quite flawed, as well.

So, stop with this cat and mouse game already. You're not convincing anyone to agree with you by labeling them.

Quote:
I have never met a child unhappy because they had gay parents. [Wait, I kind of lied, I met a boy who was adopted when he was 13, he had been taken away from his parents who told him homosexuality was wrong. He was put into a home with two gay men. What a silly thing to do, they should have asked the boy. >.< ] But that's 1 in... 50? probably more.
And you know... how many children? Millions? Enough to base any sort of valid argument on? Didn't think so.
Old 20-04-2006, 03:14 AM   #112
Scaramouche

[quote=EmotionSickness]you're not convincing anyone to agree with you by labeling them./QUOTE]

ok, please stop attacking me. Go against my arguments, not me.
-thanks.
[how old are you? just wondering.]
Old 20-04-2006, 03:32 AM   Officer #113
EmotionSickness
Cutie

Haha, nothing I've said can even come close to being considered a personal attack. In fact, you're the one who came out swinging, calling people (myself included) names. So, you should really take your own advice.

Secondly, all I did was tell you to stop playing games. I was doing you a favor. No one is ever going to listen you.. the way you argue a point. Calling you out on faulty reasoning doesn't mean I'm attacking you.

I'm 21, how old are you?
Old 20-04-2006, 03:35 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #114
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I haven't responded a whole lot in this thread, but I have been reading it. You've actually been attacking each person that disagrees with you.

Not trying to get in the middle of anything, but shake your finger in the opposite direction.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 06:51 AM   #115
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman
<snip>
How many gay people were influenced to be gay by gay people, not many
<snip>
This is a lie. I hope some of those people never get out of jail...

As far as the rest of this tripe goes, I have not yet seen any verifyable data being quoted. You all are speaking out of your butts. Your arguments smell that way at least. Lets have some "actual" data to talk about. Not just one person's unsubstantiated belief that the particular "datum" they know about is "really a well adjusted, "fine" person..."

Remember, I'm on the side of gay people being allowed to adopt after they prove that both people are committed to that situation, the same as non-gay people. (Should we call them "somber" people 8*) )

Remember, there's a reason they call those disciplines "The Soft Sciences." They are full of suppositions and unsubstatiated opinions. By the time a Psychologist actually puts his reputation on the line with a "theorum", most of us will be dead or totally disinterested.

I would be alot more worried about the Wahabi Muslums wanting to kill all gays than whether gays were going to be able to adopt children. What does your psychologist say about winning over the Wahabists?

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #116
Scaramouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave
This is a lie. I hope some of those people never get out of jail...
hahaha. Nice, I had to think for a bit.

I'm 14 years old.

I attack people when the disagree [on this subject] because I see that as SOO wrong. I already said sorry. I just can't help it. The age probably doesn't help either... it's hard arguing against people older then you.
Old 20-04-2006, 12:57 PM   Officer #117
EmotionSickness
Cutie

Scaramouche (will you do the fandango? .. sorry): I didn't realize you were so young. Name-calling aside, you argue reasonably well for someone your age. Don't take anything that's been said in this thread too personally. Like I said before, this is a VERY touchy subject for many people. There also aren't a lot of real "facts" to support either side of the argument, so, on something like this, I always feel it's easier to just "agree to disagree". Of course, when I was your age, I wouldn't have said that. Age has mellowed me... a little.
Old 20-04-2006, 01:45 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #118
Foeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The BLack Douglas
All the reasons sited here against gay adoption apply just as easily to heterosexual couples.
Oh really? That a child needs both male and female influence? Yeah, I see why heterosexual couples can't provide that :icon_err:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The BLack Douglas
The system is rife with abuse and the children who are up for adoption need good homes. They need love and tenderness, to say that a gay couple cannot provide a loving caring environment is bullshit.
That's not the essence of what we're saying. We say that a child needs both a father and a mother. Actually several of us have very clearly stated that we do believe that a gay couple provide just as much love as a straight couple.

Quote:
I attack people when the disagree [on this subject] because I see that as SOO wrong.
That's just plain arrogant. But then again, you're 14... When I was 14 I wasn't as tolerant as I am now (now now, no comments on that one ).
But otherwise I agree with ES. Also with the mellowing...
Old 20-04-2006, 04:10 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #119
Foeni

How's this?
Quote:
In conclusion, research evidence to date has limitations in definitions, samples, and analysis, and therefore does not support firm statements. However, the scarce data available suggest that there is a difference between nonheterosexual and heterosexual parenting. Unfortunately, ideological and social pressures may be constraining the research in this field. Its political weight regarding child custody or planned lesbigay parenthood through fertility services or adoption is so high that the position of researchers may be influencing how studies are being designed, conducted, and interpreted.8 As pediatricians, we can only promote the health care and integral development of children of gay or lesbian parents if we are aware of the particular difficulties that they may face when reaching adolescence, such as sexual identity conflicts or the feeling of stigmatization. Neglecting the risks may preclude pediatricians to help children and parents to understand and cope with these issues.
Found this at that very same site Flightfreak.
Full article here.

Quote:
More important is the fact that available data do suggest modest but significant differences regarding the sexual orientation of children reared by lesbian and gay parents compared with those reared by heterosexual parents. Two studies published in scientific journals have directly evaluated the sexual orientation of children of gay or lesbian parents old enough to explore their sexuality in meaningful ways
I wouldn't have thought this, but it may just as well be as good as what flightfreak posted.
Old 20-04-2006, 04:33 PM   Senior Registered Member #120
Rob The BLack Douglas

That's not the essence of what we're saying. We say that a child needs both a father and a mother. Actually several of us have very clearly stated that we do believe that a gay couple provide just as much love as a straight couple.

Just because one is male does not make them a father, that is the point, I've seen women be more of a father than many men. Having a penis does not make one fit for the job.

A father figure is needed but it doesn't need to be someone who is part of the relationship, many uncles or family friends fill this role.(Note a father figure is different than a father)

Rob