Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt? - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

View Poll Results: Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt a child?
YES! 39 66.10%
NO! 20 33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2005, 06:53 AM   #21
SimplyKnightley

nature does not make it possible for humans of the same gender to conceive a child. why? because there is a reason for it. whatever it is. is it so difficult to understand the point? geez
Old 03-03-2005, 10:08 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #22
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyKnightley
nature does not make it possible for humans of the same gender to conceive a child. why? because there is a reason for it. whatever it is. is it so difficult to understand the point? geez
It is physically impossible for a single woman to get pregnant, yet she can go down to the local sperm bank if needed. That argument is flawed, and is just used asa method of using science to justify a lack of understanding.

It is my view that gay couples should be allowed children, you cant classify a certain sexuality as being a good or bad parent, but on the whole I'd say they would make just as good parents as the rest of us. I may not understand their way of life, but that is their choice, a choice they are now able to make by law. You cant discriminate against them, otherwise similar arguments about disabled people being banned from having a child due to their 'abnormality' would ensue.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #23
SimplyKnightley

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
That argument is flawed, and is just used asa method of using science to justify a lack of understanding.
lack of understanding in what? it is my personal viewpoint that homosexual couples should not be allowed to adopt because the fact that 2 people of the same gender could not produce an offspring means that nature has not meant it to be. of course i am aware that there are other methods for a woman to get pregnant should she not be able to do it the natural way. but my argument is based not on the 'limitations' of nature or how those so-called abnormal people would be discriminated. i am saying that nature has its way of how life should be. man and woman not only have different physical traits, their mental, intellectual and emotional made-ups also differ. they each have their own strengths and weaknesses and separate roles that they assume that are to have an important impact on a child growing up. having both parents of the same gender tips the balance and affects the development of a child. it's an unhealthy, vicious cycle.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM   Officer #24
Mags
Officer

But would that suggest that a man and woman being infertile is nature's way of preventing them from having children? The truth is, most children who are adopted are adopted by people that, for some reason or another, can't conceive children on their own. If your argument is that nature has determined their biology to be such that they can't conceive, that would imply that the only people fit to adopt children are those who can conceive.

You also can't say for sure whether a child being raised by two parents of the same gender would have negative consequences. There's no proof that it would start a "vicious, unhealthy cycle." As I said before, children raised by one parent tend to manage fine on their own with regard to gender influences.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:01 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #25
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

No.

(And this is for the sake of the 5 characters min rule)

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:52 PM   Senior Registered Member #26
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
But would that suggest that a man and woman being infertile is nature's way of preventing them from having children? The truth is, most children who are adopted are adopted by people that, for some reason or another, can't conceive children on their own. If your argument is that nature has determined their biology to be such that they can't conceive, that would imply that the only people fit to adopt children are those who can conceive.

You also can't say for sure whether a child being raised by two parents of the same gender would have negative consequences. There's no proof that it would start a "vicious, unhealthy cycle." As I said before, children raised by one parent tend to manage fine on their own with regard to gender influences.
I agree. My friends who are gay would make better parents than a hell of a lot of straight couples I know. As I said before and will say again, I think they teach more tolerance than a straight couple, there's nothing wrong with tolerance.
If biology was God's way of picking out who has kids that would mean that nearlyevery woman with endometriosis wouldn't be allowed to have children. I'm not sure, but I don't know if it's common for a couple who has the ability to have children to adopt more.... it just doesn't seem like common practice.
And for the post a while ago that talked about homosexuality being abnormal, it's not really a choice. I talked about that with a friend of mine a while ago and he responded with "Do you think I would choose to get yelled at, called names, and beat up?"
That was really jumbled. Sorry.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #27
SimplyKnightley

Quote:

a man and a woman being infertile is not the same as a homosexual couple's inability to conceive. infertility (for heterosexual couple) is nature's way of weeding out the weak and propagating only the strongest. it's 'survival of the fittest' or Darwin's theory of natural selection. it's nature's way of elimination, to decide what exists and what not.

those in support of homosexual couples adopting often talk about equal rights and use examples of personal acquaintances to illustrate how such couples could have a good influence on children. let's first look at equal rights. how many supporters actually think about the child while advocating rights for the couple to adopt him/her? have they thought about whether the child wants to belong to homosexual parents (which is out of the norm)? more often than not the child does not have a choice, especially when he/she is still an infant. is this equal rights? ok so u may say that an adopted child of heterosexual parents also does not get to choose. that will lead to my second argument. even though i do not dismiss the possibility of homosexual couples being good parents, i am concerned about how the child will assimilate into society. if a child born into a 'normal' family can be an object of victimisation, imagine how much worse the experience of a child from an 'abnormal' family would be and the negative psychological impact that would be inflicted. long-term societal issues ought to be taken into consideration, besides methods of familial parenting and individual choice.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:57 AM   Officer #28
Mags
Officer

I think you run into trouble when you try to define a normal family. I don't really think there is such thing. Every family has its idiosyncracies. That's not to suggest that homosexuality is an idiosyncracy, it's simply that evey family has things that society as a whole might not define as normal. It becomes especially difficult to define that "normal family" when you consider the current rate of divorce. Single parent families are rapidly becoming the norm. I think a family with two loving parents can be a more positive environment than a family with one, especially with all the strife that divorce can cause. I'm not suggesting that all gay couples will stay together forever (we won't really know the stats on that until we also afford them the right to equal marriage under the law, but that's another topic all together) but adopting a child is a very serious undertaking, one that is not likely to be discarded lightly. You could argue the same thing for the birth of a child, but that is certainly not always planned.

And your argument (again) that infertility for a heterosexual couple is nature's way of weeding out the weak falls short as well. Like Ashley said, what about women with endometriosis or women who are brutalized and no longer possess reproductive function? Are we to believe that a woman being raped and beaten to the extent that there is no possibility of saving reproductive function is nature's way of ensuring she can't propogate life?
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #29
SimplyKnightley

Quote:
I think you run into trouble when you try to define a normal family. I don't really think there is such thing. Every family has its idiosyncracies. That's not to suggest that homosexuality is an idiosyncracy, it's simply that evey family has things that society as a whole might not define as normal. It becomes especially difficult to define that "normal family" when you consider the current rate of divorce. Single parent families are rapidly becoming the norm. I think a family with two loving parents can be a more positive environment than a family with one, especially with all the strife that divorce can cause. I'm not suggesting that all gay couples will stay together forever (we won't really know the stats on that until we also afford them the right to equal marriage under the law, but that's another topic all together) but adopting a child is a very serious undertaking, one that is not likely to be discarded lightly. You could argue the same thing for the birth of a child, but that is certainly not always planned.

And your argument (again) that infertility for a heterosexual couple is nature's way of weeding out the weak falls short as well. Like Ashley said, what about women with endometriosis or women who are brutalized and no longer possess reproductive function? Are we to believe that a woman being raped and beaten to the extent that there is no possibility of saving reproductive function is nature's way of ensuring she can't propogate life?
i did not try to define a normal family, hence the " ", if u notice. perhaps that is why u missed the point. and just like what you brought up about couples who are infertile, divorce and single parent familes is a separate issue from the topic of discussion here. that's the danger of veering out of scope when focus is lost amidst arguments.

once again, your counter-argument to my quoting of Darwin's theory of natural selection has been taken out of context and taken a violent swerve towards the issues of 'women with endometriosis or women who are brutalized and no longer possess reproductive function' which obviously have nothing to do with the thread's topic of discussion and what i have been trying to put across.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:41 AM   Senior Registered Member #30
Ashley

Why are we afraid of homosexuals adopting? Is it because they may grow up to be homosexuals? ::Gasp:: It's going to happen anyway, every homosexual I know has a mother and a father. What's the difference? Kids are going to get made fun of regardless, it just happens.
And in regards to children in general being adopted and not having a choice. A friend of mine is adopted and was adopted by a hetrosexual couple and doesn't get along with them. In fact, now she has no contact with them. So hetrosexual couple adopting doesn't guarantee a happy household. (That was a bit off topic, but it kinda fits)
Old 04-03-2005, 02:38 AM   #31
Dionysus

i say no
its hard enough for straight couples to addopt kids, and the addopted kids should go to normal homes for a normal as possible up bringing

also think of the poor kid at school, he would get teased SO BADLY by the other kids because he has 2 dads, and the poor kid would probably turn out a little funny, also theres a good chance he'll turn out gay, which isnt a bad thing, but he would be very confused as to what he really wants

just my opinion
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
Scott

Would you rather be brought up by a homosexual couple who loves you, or a heterosexual couple that treats you like shit?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:47 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #33
Liam
Bogan Elite

I'd rather be brought up by a pair of daleks with big breasts and a built in toaster oven, in any case.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:18 PM   Officer #34
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
i say no
its hard enough for straight couples to addopt kids, and the addopted kids should go to normal homes for a normal as possible up bringing

also think of the poor kid at school, he would get teased SO BADLY by the other kids because he has 2 dads, and the poor kid would probably turn out a little funny, also theres a good chance he'll turn out gay, which isnt a bad thing, but he would be very confused as to what he really wants

just my opinion
maybe, thought it is proven by now that it has NO influence on the development of the child.
but even if you don’t believe the studies…,there are heaps of children who wait for an adoption, and believe me they are better off with gay parents than the centres they are in now!
I have an adopted brother my self so I know that stuff.
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:46 PM   Senior Registered Member #35
Ardnax
Sexy kitten

I think they should be alowed to adopt. If I had a partner with the same gender and we wanted a child we would adopt, but it isn't possible, yet, so that would be a disappointment. But now I'm only 15 so I guess that issue won't come for a while if it does
Ardnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 AM   Senior Registered Member #36
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Kind of off topic, but would you want homosexuals to acquire children through IVF or adolption?

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:49 AM   Senior Registered Member #37
Spire
InSpire Me

Gays am gross.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #38
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
I say no. To me the idea of having same-sex parents is intrinsically wrong. Nature obviously didn't intend for it to happen.

Thats just how I see it.
I agree with you.

Jamie

'The Jacket' Is out now Oh Yes!

Let there be another BILB
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:12 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Senior Registered Member #39
peach

I think they should be allowed, it's better for them to have two parents who loves them than nobody.
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:13 PM   Senior Registered Member #40
Ashley

Who's to say that nature didn't want this to happen so that these kids who are up for adoption will have a home? It's not the ideal, but who here has the ideal family?