Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt? - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

View Poll Results: Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt a child?
YES! 39 66.10%
NO! 20 33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:53 AM   #21
SimplyKnightley
Member
 
SimplyKnightley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
nature does not make it possible for humans of the same gender to conceive a child. why? because there is a reason for it. whatever it is. is it so difficult to understand the point? geez
__________________
Life is drawing
without an eraser
SimplyKnightley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:08 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #22
apoggy
Mmm Marmite
 
apoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyKnightley
nature does not make it possible for humans of the same gender to conceive a child. why? because there is a reason for it. whatever it is. is it so difficult to understand the point? geez
It is physically impossible for a single woman to get pregnant, yet she can go down to the local sperm bank if needed. That argument is flawed, and is just used asa method of using science to justify a lack of understanding.

It is my view that gay couples should be allowed children, you cant classify a certain sexuality as being a good or bad parent, but on the whole I'd say they would make just as good parents as the rest of us. I may not understand their way of life, but that is their choice, a choice they are now able to make by law. You cant discriminate against them, otherwise similar arguments about disabled people being banned from having a child due to their 'abnormality' would ensue.
__________________
If this was school I would be expelled for poor attendance.
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #23
SimplyKnightley
Member
 
SimplyKnightley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
That argument is flawed, and is just used asa method of using science to justify a lack of understanding.
lack of understanding in what? it is my personal viewpoint that homosexual couples should not be allowed to adopt because the fact that 2 people of the same gender could not produce an offspring means that nature has not meant it to be. of course i am aware that there are other methods for a woman to get pregnant should she not be able to do it the natural way. but my argument is based not on the 'limitations' of nature or how those so-called abnormal people would be discriminated. i am saying that nature has its way of how life should be. man and woman not only have different physical traits, their mental, intellectual and emotional made-ups also differ. they each have their own strengths and weaknesses and separate roles that they assume that are to have an important impact on a child growing up. having both parents of the same gender tips the balance and affects the development of a child. it's an unhealthy, vicious cycle.
__________________
Life is drawing
without an eraser
SimplyKnightley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM   Officer #24
Mags
Officer
 
Mags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Uni
Posts: 423
But would that suggest that a man and woman being infertile is nature's way of preventing them from having children? The truth is, most children who are adopted are adopted by people that, for some reason or another, can't conceive children on their own. If your argument is that nature has determined their biology to be such that they can't conceive, that would imply that the only people fit to adopt children are those who can conceive.

You also can't say for sure whether a child being raised by two parents of the same gender would have negative consequences. There's no proof that it would start a "vicious, unhealthy cycle." As I said before, children raised by one parent tend to manage fine on their own with regard to gender influences.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:01 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #25
Kelsey
Holly Moderator
 
Kelsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Wild Wild West
Posts: 1,188
No.

(And this is for the sake of the 5 characters min rule)
__________________
~* Kelsey *~

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:52 PM   Senior Registered Member #26
Ashley
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
But would that suggest that a man and woman being infertile is nature's way of preventing them from having children? The truth is, most children who are adopted are adopted by people that, for some reason or another, can't conceive children on their own. If your argument is that nature has determined their biology to be such that they can't conceive, that would imply that the only people fit to adopt children are those who can conceive.

You also can't say for sure whether a child being raised by two parents of the same gender would have negative consequences. There's no proof that it would start a "vicious, unhealthy cycle." As I said before, children raised by one parent tend to manage fine on their own with regard to gender influences.
I agree. My friends who are gay would make better parents than a hell of a lot of straight couples I know. As I said before and will say again, I think they teach more tolerance than a straight couple, there's nothing wrong with tolerance.
If biology was God's way of picking out who has kids that would mean that nearlyevery woman with endometriosis wouldn't be allowed to have children. I'm not sure, but I don't know if it's common for a couple who has the ability to have children to adopt more.... it just doesn't seem like common practice.
And for the post a while ago that talked about homosexuality being abnormal, it's not really a choice. I talked about that with a friend of mine a while ago and he responded with "Do you think I would choose to get yelled at, called names, and beat up?"
That was really jumbled. Sorry.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #27
SimplyKnightley
Member
 
SimplyKnightley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
But would that suggest that a man and woman being infertile is nature's way of preventing them from having children? The truth is, most children who are adopted are adopted by people that, for some reason or another, can't conceive children on their own. If your argument is that nature has determined their biology to be such that they can't conceive, that would imply that the only people fit to adopt children are those who can conceive.

You also can't say for sure whether a child being raised by two parents of the same gender would have negative consequences. There's no proof that it would start a "vicious, unhealthy cycle." As I said before, children raised by one parent tend to manage fine on their own with regard to gender influences.
a man and a woman being infertile is not the same as a homosexual couple's inability to conceive. infertility (for heterosexual couple) is nature's way of weeding out the weak and propagating only the strongest. it's 'survival of the fittest' or Darwin's theory of natural selection. it's nature's way of elimination, to decide what exists and what not.

those in support of homosexual couples adopting often talk about equal rights and use examples of personal acquaintances to illustrate how such couples could have a good influence on children. let's first look at equal rights. how many supporters actually think about the child while advocating rights for the couple to adopt him/her? have they thought about whether the child wants to belong to homosexual parents (which is out of the norm)? more often than not the child does not have a choice, especially when he/she is still an infant. is this equal rights? ok so u may say that an adopted child of heterosexual parents also does not get to choose. that will lead to my second argument. even though i do not dismiss the possibility of homosexual couples being good parents, i am concerned about how the child will assimilate into society. if a child born into a 'normal' family can be an object of victimisation, imagine how much worse the experience of a child from an 'abnormal' family would be and the negative psychological impact that would be inflicted. long-term societal issues ought to be taken into consideration, besides methods of familial parenting and individual choice.
__________________
Life is drawing
without an eraser
SimplyKnightley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:57 AM   Officer #28
Mags
Officer
 
Mags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Uni
Posts: 423
I think you run into trouble when you try to define a normal family. I don't really think there is such thing. Every family has its idiosyncracies. That's not to suggest that homosexuality is an idiosyncracy, it's simply that evey family has things that society as a whole might not define as normal. It becomes especially difficult to define that "normal family" when you consider the current rate of divorce. Single parent families are rapidly becoming the norm. I think a family with two loving parents can be a more positive environment than a family with one, especially with all the strife that divorce can cause. I'm not suggesting that all gay couples will stay together forever (we won't really know the stats on that until we also afford them the right to equal marriage under the law, but that's another topic all together) but adopting a child is a very serious undertaking, one that is not likely to be discarded lightly. You could argue the same thing for the birth of a child, but that is certainly not always planned.

And your argument (again) that infertility for a heterosexual couple is nature's way of weeding out the weak falls short as well. Like Ashley said, what about women with endometriosis or women who are brutalized and no longer possess reproductive function? Are we to believe that a woman being raped and beaten to the extent that there is no possibility of saving reproductive function is nature's way of ensuring she can't propogate life?
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #29
SimplyKnightley
Member
 
SimplyKnightley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I think you run into trouble when you try to define a normal family. I don't really think there is such thing. Every family has its idiosyncracies. That's not to suggest that homosexuality is an idiosyncracy, it's simply that evey family has things that society as a whole might not define as normal. It becomes especially difficult to define that "normal family" when you consider the current rate of divorce. Single parent families are rapidly becoming the norm. I think a family with two loving parents can be a more positive environment than a family with one, especially with all the strife that divorce can cause. I'm not suggesting that all gay couples will stay together forever (we won't really know the stats on that until we also afford them the right to equal marriage under the law, but that's another topic all together) but adopting a child is a very serious undertaking, one that is not likely to be discarded lightly. You could argue the same thing for the birth of a child, but that is certainly not always planned.

And your argument (again) that infertility for a heterosexual couple is nature's way of weeding out the weak falls short as well. Like Ashley said, what about women with endometriosis or women who are brutalized and no longer possess reproductive function? Are we to believe that a woman being raped and beaten to the extent that there is no possibility of saving reproductive function is nature's way of ensuring she can't propogate life?
i did not try to define a normal family, hence the " ", if u notice. perhaps that is why u missed the point. and just like what you brought up about couples who are infertile, divorce and single parent familes is a separate issue from the topic of discussion here. that's the danger of veering out of scope when focus is lost amidst arguments.

once again, your counter-argument to my quoting of Darwin's theory of natural selection has been taken out of context and taken a violent swerve towards the issues of 'women with endometriosis or women who are brutalized and no longer possess reproductive function' which obviously have nothing to do with the thread's topic of discussion and what i have been trying to put across.
__________________
Life is drawing
without an eraser
SimplyKnightley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:41 AM   Senior Registered Member #30
Ashley
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 594
Why are we afraid of homosexuals adopting? Is it because they may grow up to be homosexuals? ::Gasp:: It's going to happen anyway, every homosexual I know has a mother and a father. What's the difference? Kids are going to get made fun of regardless, it just happens.
And in regards to children in general being adopted and not having a choice. A friend of mine is adopted and was adopted by a hetrosexual couple and doesn't get along with them. In fact, now she has no contact with them. So hetrosexual couple adopting doesn't guarantee a happy household. (That was a bit off topic, but it kinda fits)
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 02:38 AM   #31
Dionysus
Member
 
Dionysus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 226
i say no
its hard enough for straight couples to addopt kids, and the addopted kids should go to normal homes for a normal as possible up bringing

also think of the poor kid at school, he would get teased SO BADLY by the other kids because he has 2 dads, and the poor kid would probably turn out a little funny, also theres a good chance he'll turn out gay, which isnt a bad thing, but he would be very confused as to what he really wants

just my opinion
__________________
56th KK posse member
Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
Scott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 320
Would you rather be brought up by a homosexual couple who loves you, or a heterosexual couple that treats you like shit?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:47 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #33
Liam
Bogan Elite
 
Liam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,446
I'd rather be brought up by a pair of daleks with big breasts and a built in toaster oven, in any case.
__________________
The greatest delight is to mark one's enemy, prepare everything, avenge oneself thoroughly, and then go to sleep.
-Stalin
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:18 PM   Officer #34
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi
 
Flightfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
i say no
its hard enough for straight couples to addopt kids, and the addopted kids should go to normal homes for a normal as possible up bringing

also think of the poor kid at school, he would get teased SO BADLY by the other kids because he has 2 dads, and the poor kid would probably turn out a little funny, also theres a good chance he'll turn out gay, which isnt a bad thing, but he would be very confused as to what he really wants

just my opinion
maybe, thought it is proven by now that it has NO influence on the development of the child.
but even if you don’t believe the studies…,there are heaps of children who wait for an adoption, and believe me they are better off with gay parents than the centres they are in now!
I have an adopted brother my self so I know that stuff.
__________________
....-> 3rd Member Of Keira Knightleyz Posse!<-.....
The lobbying groups all hate him and thats a good sign.
You may laugh because I'm different, but I laugh because you're all the same! Quote Narg aka Brendon Gilson RIP
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 04:46 PM   Senior Registered Member #35
Ardnax
Sexy kitten
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 645
I think they should be alowed to adopt. If I had a partner with the same gender and we wanted a child we would adopt, but it isn't possible, yet, so that would be a disappointment. But now I'm only 15 so I guess that issue won't come for a while if it does
Ardnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 AM   Senior Registered Member #36
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
Kind of off topic, but would you want homosexuals to acquire children through IVF or adolption?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:49 AM   Senior Registered Member #37
Spire
InSpire Me
 
Spire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooray!
Posts: 716
Gays am gross.
__________________
彼はグレービーを愛した。
Spire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #38
Jamie
Member
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
I say no. To me the idea of having same-sex parents is intrinsically wrong. Nature obviously didn't intend for it to happen.

Thats just how I see it.
I agree with you.
__________________
Cheers!

Jamie
____________________________
Just Another Keira Knightley Fan!

'The Jacket' Is out now Oh Yes!

Let there be another BILB
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:12 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Senior Registered Member #39
peach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 238
I think they should be allowed, it's better for them to have two parents who loves them than nobody.
peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:13 PM   Senior Registered Member #40
Ashley
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 594
Who's to say that nature didn't want this to happen so that these kids who are up for adoption will have a home? It's not the ideal, but who here has the ideal family?
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.