Over-rated actors? Under-rated actors? - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 14-07-2004, 04:10 AM   #41
slimgopey
Newcomer

Overrated actors - Tom Cruise! He's played the same character over and over again in each of his last five films.

I would say Bradd Pitt, but he made the great Snatch, and that was a great flick.

Underrated Actors - James Marsden, Thomas Jane, Vince Vaughn (deserves more respect!) and Jake Gyllenhall (deserves more hype )
slimgopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 01:37 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #42
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Yah...both Gyllenhaal siblings...can't believe they weren't mentioned earlier. Jake's only now getting the praise because he did a blockbuster (The day after tomorrow) but he's done great stuff before...and not just Donnie Darko...as for Secretary...mmmm...Maggie is rather sexy in an odd sort of way...hard to put my finger on why...but yah...in Secretary...muchos sexy, and a stunning performance to boot. It's a shame she didn't get that much praise for Mona Lisa Smile. I mean it wasn't quite as good as I was lead to believe it would be, a little formulaic but the art direction was so good. Below par acting by everyone in the cast bar Maggie really showed how good she is...in that all-star cast she stood out as the best actress of the bunch, quite a compliment when one of your co-stars is an oscar winner (though this was not one of Julia Roberts' better performances).
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 04:21 PM   Senior Registered Member #43
Elijahfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Yah...both Gyllenhaal siblings...can't believe they weren't mentioned earlier. Jake's only now getting the praise because he did a blockbuster (The day after tomorrow) but he's done great stuff before...and not just Donnie Darko...as for Secretary...mmmm...Maggie is rather sexy in an odd sort of way...hard to put my finger on why...but yah...in Secretary...muchos sexy, and a stunning performance to boot. It's a shame she didn't get that much praise for Mona Lisa Smile. I mean it wasn't quite as good as I was lead to believe it would be, a little formulaic but the art direction was so good. Below par acting by everyone in the cast bar Maggie really showed how good she is...in that all-star cast she stood out as the best actress of the bunch, quite a compliment when one of your co-stars is an oscar winner (though this was not one of Julia Roberts' better performances).
totally forgot to say the gyllenhaals, good thing you and others mentioned them. i like the part in Donnie Darko where the family is sitting down for dinner and they start bickering! it's funny, and even more so since they're really brother and sister. i saw the secretary too, strange movie but i loved it

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 07:46 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #44
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

In Mona Lisa Smile (even though I actually really liked the movie, and own it), Maggie was the best. Julia Stiles was fake, and Julia Roberts had two stand out scenes and I was expecting a lot more.

Which reminds me....Kirsten Dunst is over rated. I can't stand that girl; I just want to slap her. Mona Lisa Smile is one of the few things I can stand to watch that she is in. The only other thing is Bring It On.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 08:01 PM   Senior Registered Member #45
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
In Mona Lisa Smile (even though I actually really liked the movie, and own it), Maggie was the best. Julia Stiles was fake, and Julia Roberts had two stand out scenes and I was expecting a lot more.

Which reminds me....Kirsten Dunst is over rated. I can't stand that girl; I just want to slap her. Mona Lisa Smile is one of the few things I can stand to watch that she is in. The only other thing is Bring It On.
I liked her in "Dick". You know that movie about President Nixon that co-starred Michelle Williams about the whole Watergate scandel. Hilarious. I can't really remember her performance in "The Virgin Suicides", but I know that it was a great movie. "Bring It On" was unforgettable... unfortunetly I can't say that about the sequel.
Old 14-07-2004, 08:02 PM   Senior Registered Member #46
Spire
InSpire Me

I would say Brad Pitt too, but he was in Fight Club, Snatch, and Se7en, so he deserves his respect.
Old 14-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #47
breathein
Newcomer

overrated-underated

here's my list:
over-rated:
1) ben affleck (except in dogma i love that movie)
2) jennifer lopez (until gigli i thought she was pretty good)
3) orlando bloom (hot, but he only has about three facial expression, confused, angry, and happy, the rest are inbetween faces)
4) cameron diaz (she's awesome in funny movies, but i haven't really seen her in a movie to define herself as a person rather than a ditzy blonde, if she has, i probably haven't seen that movie)
5) hillary duff (i'm sorry to all her fans but she's a tinsy bit on the annoying factor
6) paris hilton (i don't even know why some people say she's an actress. all i saw her in was zoolander and all she said was "hey derrick" however i'm sure much more people, not me, have seen her performance in that home-video)
under-rated:
1) johnny depp (until pirates of the caribbean and secret window but now he's getting more appreciation)
2) both the gyllenhaals (as previously stated, they both are awesome in donnie darko and all the other movies i've seen them in)
3) keira knightley (dur, she's becoming a lot more popular and recognized more though)
4) anyone else i forgot lol
Old 14-07-2004, 08:35 PM   Senior Registered Member #48
Spire
InSpire Me

Cameron Diaz was in Gangs of New York, and she didn't play a completely ditzy blonde. She's still over-rated though.
Old 14-07-2004, 09:39 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #49
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

How can I forget....yes, I liked Kirsten in "Dick". That is one of my favorite movies, I seriously can't believe I forgot about it (I was just talking about it yesterday too). That movie is a freakin classic. Michelle Williams is a bit underrated too. She was good in The Station Agent, and her new movie with Emile Hirsch should be good.

Check out my blog:
Old 14-07-2004, 10:07 PM   Senior Registered Member #50
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I think Jena Malone is under-rated. She's great, and she's going to be with Keira in P&P.
Old 14-07-2004, 11:29 PM   Senior Registered Member #51
Pygmalion
Pissed

Hilary Duff is a SHOCKING actor. Honestly, the Lizzie Maguire movie is the WORST movie ever.
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 01:06 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #52
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Oh dear...me and Kelsey agreeing...on MOVIES of all things...dear Lord!

Quote:
How can I forget....yes, I liked Kirsten in "Dick". That is one of my favorite movies, I seriously can't believe I forgot about it (I was just talking about it yesterday too). That movie is a freakin classic. Michelle Williams is a bit underrated too. She was good in The Station Agent, and her new movie with Emile Hirsch should be good.
Yah...Dick was excellent...Michelle Williams is awesome. Oh dear...this agreeing thing is disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmalion
Hilary Duff is a SHOCKING actor. Honestly, the Lizzie Maguire movie is the WORST movie ever.
Meh...to even class her as an actress is a disservice to the craft.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 02:30 AM   Senior Registered Member #53
Richard
Dated

I seriously think that Milla Jovovich is so under-rated. I like her work. Anything from "The Fifth Element" to "The Million Dollar Hotal". And her work in "Dummy" is awesome. Come on... is there no one else?

I'm not going to rant about how "Resident Evil" is a spectacular movie, it's average. But I've seen better in the "dead" genre. Milla made it good.
Old 15-07-2004, 09:03 AM   #54
breathein
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmalion
I think if you put a blonde wig on a potato it would act better than her. She' DEFINATELY over-rated as and actress and singer.
Old 15-07-2004, 09:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #55
Pygmalion
Pissed

Lol love the thing about the potato-people only like her cause shes hot.

And I agree completely about Milla, I liked Resident Evil-but then I like undead movies and used to play the game-Milla made it twice as good...I watch it now for her lol.
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 11:04 AM   #56
ChocolateMoose

Over-rated: Hugh Grant (He plays the same character in all his films...), Orlando Bloom (He continually looks confused and concerned, thats about it).

Under-rated: Eric Bana (he was AMAZING in Troy), Johnny Depp (he plays such a wide range of characters, and they are excellent each time).
ChocolateMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 03:22 PM   Senior Registered Member #57
gracie
Goddess

the thing thats weird about hillary duff is she cant sing. I mean seriously nothing there, and she cant act. who is it whos buying her albums and going to her concerts. Tweens these days are stupid. When i was young we had the spicegirls. That is a solid girl group. They could sing and it was fun and their movie was fabulous! hillary duff is robbing preteen girls.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 07:02 PM   Officer #58
DragonRat
Officer

Unfortunately, many tweens nowadays are medically diagnosed as tone-deaf, so you can understand the circumstances, by which they buy Hilary Duff albums, thinking she is the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread.

Comparatively, in that age range, I would probably consider Jena Malone in a class above everyone else. A lot of people rag on Lindsay Lohan for her off-screen activities, but she is a much better actress than Hilary Duff.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 07:12 PM   Senior Registered Member #59
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Under-rated: John and Joan Cusak. Jason Lee is underated too I think, he's great. Brad Dourif (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest especially, I thought he was better than Jack in that one) and as Wormtounge in LOTR.
Old 15-07-2004, 07:46 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #60
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie
the thing thats weird about hillary duff is she cant sing. I mean seriously nothing there, and she cant act. who is it whos buying her albums and going to her concerts. Tweens these days are stupid. When i was young we had the spicegirls. That is a solid girl group. They could sing and it was fun and their movie was fabulous! hillary duff is robbing preteen girls.
The Spice Girls...exactly. I still love the Spice Girls, and put "Wannabe" on repeat every once in awhile. In fact, I think they're one of the CDs in my CD player right now. Sad, but true.

Hilary Duff is extremely annoying. Under-rated (even though I specifically remember Gracie not particularly liking her)- Kate Bosworth. She was good in Win a Date With Tad Hamilton. Very likeable.

Check out my blog: