Over-rated actors? Under-rated actors? - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:28 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #21
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

The only thing Keanu was ever good in was the Bill & Ted movies and only because the character was probably just him at a younger age

Speed was basically a great script ruined by a wooden leading man and leading lady...shame that...Dennis Hopper was excellent though.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 01:31 PM   #22
Valerie
Newcomer

Yep, I agree.

Oh and don't forget the Matrix, never really understood why he got that role in the first place.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 04:03 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #23
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Speed was ruined by Keanu Reeves, and *only* Keanu Reeves. Haz.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:16 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #24
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
Speed was ruined by Keanu Reeves, and *only* Keanu Reeves. Haz.
Pfft...he was better than Sandra Bullock...and that's saying a LOT.

Keanu was alright in the Matrix in terms of the first film, where it's a lot more of a typical superhero type character, without the emotional depth that Neo is supposed to have in the latter films and which Keanu cannot deliver on.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:33 PM   Senior Registered Member #25
Richard
Dated

Why is everyone "always" saying Keanu ruined Speed? Everywhere I go, even far away from this forum is the same comment. It's been so long since I watched the movie, but I remember liking it. I am however too, noticing that Keanu's roles have been rather card-board(or too stiff as someone else pointed out). What else has Keanu been in?... "Sweet November"... "Hardball"... "The Watcher"... "The Gift"... "Chain Reaction". Anyways, I did however like his character in Hardball, and it's offical, the best work he probably ever did was the Bill & Ted movies, I'll agree. He may have ruined Speed, but I can't imagine anyone else playing Neo in The Matrix.

Over-rated actors:
Brad Pitt (I'm trying... but I'm never impressed.)

Under-rated actors:
Evan Rachel Wood
Kate Beckinsale (Is still not getting recognized?)
Alfonso Ribeiro (From "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air")
ok, sure... why not "Ryan Phillipe" (I've actually seen almost all of his films. "The Way of the Gun", best performance I think.)

Last edited by Richard; 11-07-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:35 PM   Officer #26
DragonRat
Officer

Or Johnny Mnemonic.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:10 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #27
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Sandra Bullock was good in Speed. Part of the reason why she's so famous now.

Kate Beckinsale is definitely under-rated. She's been one of my favorites for awhile now, and I can't believe she's still not getting the recognition she clearly deserves.

Check out my blog:
Old 11-07-2004, 08:24 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #28
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Kate Beckinsale...gorgeous...but can't act to save her life. Worse than even Sandra Bullock. Difference is unlike the latter, Kate's gorgeous

As for Neo in the Matrix...not entirely convinced Keanu did it well...Neo had no depth to him because Keanu can't act...despite the fact I think there was potential for him to be a really likeable character with real depth.

Brad Pitt is twice the actor that Kate Beckinsale is Richard...and certainly a damn sight better than Keanu Reaves...sorry. Them's the facts
Old 11-07-2004, 09:07 PM   Senior Registered Member #29
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Kate Beckinsale...gorgeous...but can't act to save her life. Worse than even Sandra Bullock. Difference is unlike the latter, Kate's gorgeous

As for Neo in the Matrix...not entirely convinced Keanu did it well...Neo had no depth to him because Keanu can't act...despite the fact I think there was potential for him to be a really likeable character with real depth.

Brad Pitt is twice the actor that Kate Beckinsale is Richard...and certainly a damn sight better than Keanu Reaves...sorry. Them's the facts
I think Kate did surprisingly well in "Serendipity" considering her other projects that were not so good... "Van Helsing", but "Underworld" was better.

While I do agree with what you said about the possibility of Neo being a likeable character with real depth without Keanu playing the role, my question would have to be "How more could the character of Neo be portrayed"? Perhaps I'm not seeing it the way you do. The character of Neo in the first film seemed to be fairly simple, that being he's put into a new world where he must master whatever the hell he needs to convince himself that he is "the one". I don't necessarily think there's much debate about the first film, but for second and third... I guess I was expecting more from the character. I still liked him, but that's where I think the real depth lacked.

Brad Pitt is better than Keanu Reaves, you're right. But I think we would all rather choose Kate over the both of them. Her attraction anyways...
Old 11-07-2004, 10:57 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #30
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I think Kate did surprisingly well in "Serendipity" considering her other projects that were not so good... "Van Helsing", but "Underworld" was better.

While I do agree with what you said about the possibility of Neo being a likeable character with real depth without Keanu playing the role, my question would have to be "How more could the character of Neo be portrayed"? Perhaps I'm not seeing it the way you do. The character of Neo in the first film seemed to be fairly simple, that being he's put into a new world where he must master whatever the hell he needs to convince himself that he is "the one". I don't necessarily think there's much debate about the first film, but for second and third... I guess I was expecting more from the character. I still liked him, but that's where I think the real depth lacked.

Brad Pitt is better than Keanu Reaves, you're right. But I think we would all rather choose Kate over the both of them. Her attraction anyways...
Let's agree to disagree on Kate Beckinsale, eh?

As for depth of Neo...I'd agree with what you said...I think the "hope" message of the latter two films, and the love story, were just lost with Keanu as the lead.

As for Kate over the guys...for looks? Mmmmmmmmm
Old 12-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #31
MC117

Adam Sandler; Owen Wilson; Jackie Chan, c'mon now, these guys are cool

The Governator is the best of all
Old 12-07-2004, 10:46 PM   #32
Sarika

Overrated:
Ben Affleck
Hilary Duff
Lindsay Lohan
Leonardo DiCaprio
Brad Pitt - as much as I love Troy, he was the worse part

Underrated:
Jim Caviezel
Edward Atterton
Hannah Taylor - Gordon
Evan Rachel Wood
Old 12-07-2004, 10:56 PM   Senior Registered Member #33
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarika
Overrated:
Brad Pitt - as much as I love Troy, he was the worse part
What?!
Brad Pitt is a great actor, or at least that's what I think. True he was annoying in Troy, but nothing less than briliant in Se7en, 12 Monkeys and Fight Club.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:46 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #34
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Brad Pitt MADE 12 Monkeys (which I loved) and was superb in Fight Club...Se7en I'm not so sure about...I think Morgan Freeman made that film...Kevin Spacey was good when he finally got in it...but before that Morgan made the film...legend...

Now HE'S an underrated actor...SOOOOO good. Morgan Freeman is awesome. Tim Robbins got all the praise for Shawshank but Morgan made it...Brad got all the praise for Se7en but Morgan made it...too good.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:51 PM   Senior Registered Member #35
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Both Freeman and Pitt made the film. Freeman just played a more likable character. Pitt played his part very very well, as did Freeman. I say both of them made Seven. But yes, Morgan Freeman is a very underrated actor.
Old 13-07-2004, 12:33 AM   Senior Registered Member #36
Richard
Dated

Morgan Freeman is a great actor. I can't believe I didn't think of him before. He also made "Deep Impact" a really good movie... his voice is chilling.
Old 13-07-2004, 12:34 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #37
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Morgan Freeman is a great actor. I can't believe I didn't think of him before. He also made "Deep Impact" a really good movie... his voice is chilling.
Truth...class actor...so good...and I'd even forgotten how good he was in Deep Impact...heck he even made Chain Reaction bareable. And that was a shit film...
Old 13-07-2004, 02:49 PM   Senior Registered Member #38
Ardnax
Sexy kitten

Morgan Freeman who?
Ardnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 11:45 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #39
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Morgan Freeman who?
Quite...I think you made our point.

Oh...and Brad Dourif was one of the most under-rated in the LOTR cast, as was Andy Serkis (who's done some other impressive work too)...and Sean Bean is just plain under-rated in anything he does...despite being one of our best exports.
Old 14-07-2004, 01:21 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #40
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I totally forgot...
*Under rated*
Maggie Gyllenhaal

The whole Gyllenhaal family even; they are such an amazingly talented family - every single member of it. Jake seems to be doing quite well, though Maggie still seems to be the lesser known. Her performance in Secretary (along with basically everything else shes in) was fantastic.

Check out my blog: