Over-rated actors? Under-rated actors? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:52 AM   #1
Kyle_West

Over-rated actors? Under-rated actors?

I wanted to take credit so someone couldn't copy and have two seperate threads.

Over-rated

Personally:
1) Elijah Wood; Wow what a puss, worst actor in every movie he has been in, even orlando was better as Legolas.

2) Orlando Bloom; Such a Drama queen, everything has to be a funeral to him, watch a movie he is in and watch his facial expressions. Almost every scene in the Two Towers, Return of the King, POTC. (I can't say Troy since the movie was so shitty I fell asleep. Excluding Eric Bana, "Troy" was a disaster)

3) Adam Sandler; Other than "PunchDrunkLove" He hasn't proven himself worthy to eat out of a dumpster. All of his pointless comedies are the same. They're boring, and he is a shitty actor....other than "PDL" as I repeated myself like a twat.

4) Owen Wilson; WOW! I hate him. Zoolander, Shanghai noon/knights. Thats enough to prove my point of him being an idiot.

5) Jackie Chan; Just stop making movies. Please. They've been the same for 20 years.

Under-rated

1) John Turturro; When he isn't in an adam sandler movie he is a good actor, he seems to be over looked to me. In "O'brother where art thou?" I thought him and Tim Blake Nelson stole the show. He was spooky in "The Secret Window" also. He gets some recognition, but he is better than alot of these big time movie stars.

2) Sean Patrick Flanery; He was Bad ass In "The Boondock Saints" His Irish I thought was quite impressive. But he really doesn't get alot of stuff when I think he should. He was better than Norman Reedus in that movie. "Powder" ruined him.

3) The Entire Broken Lizard Crew; They are absolutely hilarious "Super Troopers" and ''Club Dread'' made me almost fall in the floor laughing. Club Dread actually did make me shat myself.

4) Jason Lee; He is my favorite actor and he gets roles believe me. But I think he is better than all these other 100 million dollar men. He can act, dont put him in another "A Guy Thing" I don't think his career can handle it. I own a guy thing.

5) Selma Blair; Other than Hellboy she has done things I liked. ''A Guy Thing" Wahoo!

I'm bored so make comments and yell at me for thinking Orlando Bloom is the worst actor in recent history for his shitty dramatic (my best friend just died) acting. O wait, Elijah Wood is worse. Nevermind. It's early in the states 3:00 I think. So tomorrow I can edit this to where these 10 word summaries can turn into 15 or maybe even 20 words! Don't hold your breath though
Old 06-07-2004, 07:54 AM   Officer #2
DragonRat
Officer

Isn't it necessarily true that many so-called "underrated" actors and actresses are ones who never win the awards they actually deserve? And the overrated ones are those who win the awards, but aren't deserving of them anyway?

I think Gwyneth Paltrow is an overrated actress. I really think that her Oscar for Shakespeare in Love was really undeserved. I remember watching that film like two or three times, and she was simply average in that film. They didn't even nominate Joseph Fiennes for his role as the Bard himself.

Liev Schreiber is probably my favorite underrated actor. He played Orson Welles in the HBO movie RKO 281, Cotton Weary in the Scream movies (yes, the movies did get crappy, but I think his performances were quite the opposite), and currently is the double agent character in the new Manchurian Candidate movie.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:45 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #3
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Owen Wilson is not overrated; I love him But whatever, you liked A Guy Thing...

In my opinion:
*Overrated*
- Ben Stiller...he has a few good roles, but it seems like for every "Dodgeball" he comes out with, he comes out with two "Envy"s. He needs to slow down.
- Jessica Simpson...can't sing for crap, and talk about dramatic. Oh my god. Plus, she's famous for coming off as an idiot. Wow...score.
- Ben Affleck...he's hot, but I get the impression the guy has major personal problems. And the acting thing is doing downhill. I wish he'd write something again.
- Orlando Bloom....he can't act and he comes off as weak.

*Underrated*
- Sienna Miller...She's going to be a big star, with or without Jude Law.
- Nicole Richie (even though she's not an actor)...Has ended up in the shadow of Paris Hilton. I think she's the funnier and more charming of the two, and I'm a Paris Hilton fan.
- Rachel McAdams...not much to say.
- Ryan Phillipe...given the right roles, but he always tends to take the type casted roles and he sucks at those.
- Neve Campbell...she's a talented person. After seeing The Company, I'm excited for her next project.
- Amanda Seyfried...tends to shine in the smaller roles.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:09 AM   Officer #4
mufiman
Officer

overrated:
-as kelsey said, ben affleck. i just do not like him, mostly because of armageddon, paycheck, and pearl harbor.
-will smith...
-halle berry.... gothika was horrible, and then theres catwoman...
- vince vaughn...not very funny.. old school is overrated and stiller made dodgeball good.

underrated:
-John Goodman...just watch "the big lebowski"
-Jon Favreau... hes a good and funny actor, even in mediocre movies. movies like daredevil.
-guy pierce...he was great in LA confidential and Memento, but i havent seen him in anything recently.
mufiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Kyle_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
I thought that was pretty funny. Ben is really over rated. John Favreau is indeed under-rated. Swingers, pcu, Made. I thought he was good in all three of them. Ben Stiller I dont thing is over rated since I saw Dodgeball. Before that I thought he wasn't worth anything.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #6
Elijahfan

i'll give a few with reasons OVERRATED:

Gwyneth Paltrow...shouldnt of won an oscar, as already stated by DragonRat, i think Cate Blanchett should have won, could be just because i love the movie Elizabeth a lot more. and Saving Private Ryan should have won best picture that year too.

Jessica simpson, nicole richie, paris hilton, ashlee simpson, britney spears...all whores and stupid,complete waste of space and air

Orlando bloom, i love him and everything, but he can't act that well

UNDERRATED:
cate blanchett
eric bana...he was the best thing about Troy, the old guy, who played the father was good too
guy pearce...memento
edward norton...fightclub & the 25th hour
Jude law...wonderful in cold mountain even if he didnt say much, he didnt have to either
Christian Bale..he's going to be the new batman, with the memento director too, so hopefully now more people will notice mind. he's so awesome, especailly in American Pyscho, really creepy, and he was in Empire in the Sun when he was around 13 years old

cant think of more at the moment...but for all those who don't seem to like Elijah wood, i guess i can understand considering all his films and range of work, but i do love him regardless...as stated in my name, i am a fan

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~

Last edited by Elijahfan; 06-07-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
Kyle_West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahfan
i'll give a few with reasons OVERRATED:

Gwyneth Paltrow...shouldnt of won an oscar, as already stated by DragonRat, i think Cate Blanchett should have won, could be just because i love the movie Elizabeth a lot more. and Saving Private Ryan should have won best picture that year too.

Jessica simpson, nicole richie, paris hilton, ashlee simpson, britney spears...all whores and stupid,complete waste of space and air

Orlando bloom, i love him and everything, but he can't act that well

UNDERRATED:
cate blanchett
eric bana...he was the best thing about Troy, the old guy, who played the father was good too
guy pearce...memento
edward norton...fightclub & the 25th hour
Jude law...wonderful in cold mountain even if he didnt say much, he didnt have to either
Christian Bale..he's going to be the new batman, with the memento director too, so hopefully now more people will notice mind. he's so awesome, especailly in American Pyscho, really creepy, and he was in Empire in the Sun when he was around 13 years old
Damn, Jude Law, Edward Norton, Eric Bana. They all get big blockbuster movies. They all 3 deserve them also, but I can't see them as being underrated. Only way they can be underrated as if they should win an academy award, which I think Jude Law may someday have a shot. But the other two I can't see winning one. Christian Bale is underrated. He kicked major ass in "Equilibrium"
Old 08-07-2004, 01:19 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #8
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Well...I won't post "Oh I agree with this" or "I agree with that" and most people have said people I sort of agree with so...

I'll just take issue with a few. Ben Affleck...can act...proved it in Shakespeare in Love (FAR better than Gwyneth...he and Jospeh Fiennes stole the show) and just gets so many shit movies with big paychecks (no pun intended) that he can't turn them down...how many of you would, eh? He's not good enough to save a poor film, but he's good enough to save an average one.

Oh and Ben Stiller > Owen Wilson without a doubt...sorry Kels

(but, surprisingly, I'm going agree with you <> on Ryan Phillipe <no, I don't fancy him before someone makes a smart alec remark > and Neve Campbell)
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:55 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
DefyingGravity

Overrated:

Halle Berry: She's a great actress, but why's everyone saying that she's gorgeous? I think her acting surpasses her looks.
Winona Ryder: She's an alright actress... but...
Brad Pitt: Gee, in Troy, his accent only changed about 20 times.

Underrated:

Danielle Harris: The girl's been in over 30 films, yet still goes unrecognized.
Macaulay Culkin: Have any of you seen him in Party Monster? His performance was dead-on.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:35 AM   Senior Registered Member #10
Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity
Halle Berry: She's a great actress, but why's everyone saying that she's gorgeous? I think her acting surpasses her looks.
What are you smoking? Halle's looks easily surpass her acting. Her acting is average; she gets good parts in movies because of her looks, not acting ability.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:26 AM   Senior Registered Member #11
DefyingGravity

That is YOUR opinion, and I'm not gonna waste time arguing with you about it.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:22 AM   Senior Registered Member #12
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
What are you smoking? Halle's looks easily surpass her acting. Her acting is average; she gets good parts in movies because of her looks, not acting ability.
I don't get how people call her gorgeous either, so meh to you louie :P Her acting surpasses her looks.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 02:11 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #13
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

You missed one...

Keira Knightley. Very underrated as an actress. So much attention is paid to her looks and wonderful attitude, that her acting skills get overlooked. Once she starts starring in movies where she's not kicking someone's ass, I think we'll be looking at our generation's Audrey Hepburn.

Ben Affleck is a good actor. It's the shitty movies that he's in that makes him cartoonish. The stuff he's done with Kevin Smith, who's a master of smart dialogue, has been very good.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #14
Kyle_West

After seeing King Arthur I must say, Ioan Mcgruffed and Clive Owen are very underrated. Hopefully his will give them both boosts.

Ben Affleck, Chasing amy, Dogma. Thats about all I like.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
gracie
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahfan
peter o'toole. i dont think many people underrate him...he gets all the credit hes due. Being lawrence and henry II really set him up well for the rest of his life

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:08 PM   Senior Registered Member #16
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey

In my opinion:
*Overrated*
- Ben Stiller...he has a few good roles, but it seems like for every "Dodgeball" he comes out with, he comes out with two "Envy"s. He needs to slow down.
- Jessica Simpson...can't sing for crap, and talk about dramatic. Oh my god. Plus, she's famous for coming off as an idiot. Wow...score.
- Ben Affleck...he's hot, but I get the impression the guy has major personal problems. And the acting thing is doing downhill. I wish he'd write something again.
- Orlando Bloom....he can't act and he comes off as weak.

*Underrated*
- Sienna Miller...She's going to be a big star, with or without Jude Law.
- Nicole Richie (even though she's not an actor)...Has ended up in the shadow of Paris Hilton. I think she's the funnier and more charming of the two, and I'm a Paris Hilton fan.
- Rachel McAdams...not much to say.
- Ryan Phillipe...given the right roles, but he always tends to take the type casted roles and he sucks at those.
- Neve Campbell...she's a talented person. After seeing The Company, I'm excited for her next project.
- Amanda Seyfried...tends to shine in the smaller roles.
nicole richie? oh god.
the girl is not only physically appaling, but her personality is that of a sack of garbage.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:36 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #17
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Comparing Nicole Richie...

...to a sack of garbage? That's really unfair...

...to sacks of garbage.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:40 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #18
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Ok...Keira Knightley...I don't think US lot on here under-rate her talent, and I think those in the industry clearly recognise her talent...but yes...the critics and media are talking bullshit as usual when they say she can't act

As for Halle Berry...she's not all that fit...good but not amazing...whereas her acting...wow...Monster's Ball...nuff said.

Ben Affleck is always at his best with Kevin Smith and Matt Damon involved in the project...they seem to work well together those three...amazingly so. Dogma speaks for itself...
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #19
Valerie
Newcomer

Oh my god! so glad someone mentioned Ryan Phillippe. The man is a brilliant actor, its a shame he goes for all the indie stuff. I read he much prefers those types of films then the blockbuster ones, don't say I blame him really. Unlike his wife...

Now in Hollywood its not about talent, its about looks and how much money a film can make base on those looks.

Although I will keep my opinions to myself abour Mr.Bloom.

Overrated in my opinion, and please don't take offense is Nicole Kidman- I just don't like her, and to say she is beautiful gag me please. She is just so pale looking and skinny it makes me ill.

Someone mentioned Ben affleck or "asslick", very true. Keanu Reeves is another one who can't act either. Those actors appear stiff to me.

Underrated ones, someone mentioned Keira so true. I was really angry when a critic said that she couldn't act? Um, is he blind or something?

And I will have to disagree with your comment on Elijah Wood. I think his acting is very good. Grant it, he plays "sissy" roles but he really does make a believable character.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:40 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #20
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Nicole Ritchie is cool.

Whoever said Keanu Reeves, so right. I can't stand him...he's a horrible actor.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote