Christmas movies - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:06 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Christmas movies

I was just watching a movie show and they talked about Polar Express and Surviving Christmas. Now I HATE really sappy, puke-inducing Christmas movies, I like more bitter cynical takes on the holidays myself, and I happen to think Polar Express would literally make me hurl all over the people in front of me (just watching a few clips of the trailer whilst eating nearly made me wretch), whereas Surviving Christmas looks HILARIOUS.

Basically this is a thread with two purposes. I'm wondering firstly what people think about Christmas movies generally (movies ABOUT Christmas, not movies that happen to be released AT Christmas, just to be clear), and specifically whether you prefer more cynical approaches or more sentimental warm affairs.

I was also wondering if anyone had seen either of the movies (Surviving Christmas or Polar Express) and what people thought of them specifically within this genre.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:02 PM   Senior Registered Member #2
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I like when movies aren't directly based on Christmas. Movies like Love, Actually, especially the Emma Thompson chapter of that movie. Movies that let you know it's Christmas, but have a completely different theme. Jingle All the Way and Christmas with the Kranks...not so good. The only Christmas movie I can think of that I LOVE with a mushy theme is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I used to watch that for the whole month of December a while back. Additionaly it had Horton Hears a Who which is also one of my favorite stories. Wickersham Brothers..arrr.

As for the movies you mentioned. Polar Express looks retarded. Especially how they chose to animate it, but make it as creepy as possible. Surviving Christmas looks alright. I saw a trailer and laughed at a few points. We'll just have to see.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:06 PM   Senior Registered Member #3
Richard
Dated

Home Alone 1 & 2. If Christmas movies can be like that, I'll be content.

Christmas with the Kranks looks retarded. Yet it opened nearly with $20 million.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:06 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
ryan

Love, Actually.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:35 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

surviving christmas wasnt all that good. at best id say it was watchable. no great laughs and never made you feel good about christmas. however tony soprano was good and ben was ok.
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:29 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #6
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman
surviving christmas wasnt all that good. at best id say it was watchable. no great laughs and never made you feel good about christmas. however tony soprano was good and ben was ok.
I hate Christmas though.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:45 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #7
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

I got a feeling people are gonna make fun of me for saying this , but "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" is my favorite. I love Jim Carrey. Anything he makes i'll go see. and I ask you in what other movie is santa claus reffered to as "Fat Boy". It also has christmas spirit in it, If you care for that sort of thing, if not "Bad Santa". Alot of laughs.
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:52 PM   Officer #8
Mags
Officer

Man, Bad Santa sucked balls. I was told that movie was funny but it seriously was just depressing and gross.

My vote goes to Love Actually or perhaps Home Alone...just Home Alone 1 though, because that shit was AWESOME>
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:20 PM   #9
The Black Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
My favorite in that department is a Christmas Carol adaptation with George C. Scott that I saw as a kid. Another good Christmas movie is A Christmas Story. I bought the DVD sight unseen. Then I watched it. At first I didn't like it. I thought the narration was annoying. Then about 30 minutes into it I found myself laughing out loud. And it's got its tender moments, too.
The George C. Scott Christmas Carol is by far the best one. I totally agree with you.

Overall, the best is probably Planes, Trains and Automobiles with Steve Martin and John Candy. If you haven't seen it yet, see it now. It's hysterical.

A Christmas Story is a classic. No one can deny that. And although it's not a film, I adore Blackadder's Christmas Carol. A must-see for all fans of the series.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:26 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #10
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

The Nightmare Before Christmas and Apocalypse Now.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 01:37 AM   Senior Registered Member #11
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
Another good Christmas movie is A Christmas Story. I bought the DVD sight unseen. Then I watched it. At first I didn't like it. I thought the narration was annoying.
You're crazy, the narration is hilarious through out the entire movie. The whole movie is a riot... obviously it's one of my favorite Christmas movies.

Other: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Love Actually, A Christmas Carol from around 1943 or so... it's the black and white version.. or one of them at least and the best kind. Serendipity also, I just love that movie. I'm a fan of the sappy romantic Christmas movie.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #12
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Best christmas movie is Elf.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:22 AM   Officer #13
Ashlyn
Militia Lieutenant

Love Actually is my favourite Christmas movie because (as someone else said) it's Christmassy, but not all about Christmas. Whenever I watch it I get all excited about Christmas. It's probably one of my favourite movies ever actually. Watching it in March is not reccomended.
Ashlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #14
Bait

i love A Christmas Story and i watch it every year when they show the 48 hour marathon or 24 hour what ever it is...

i also liked Bad Santa and Elf
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:52 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #15
Liam
Bogan Elite

Bah, humbug.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:30 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #16
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Bah, humbug.
What he said.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:42 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #17
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

A Christmas Story kicks ass. That movie is hysterical.
Christmas Vacation is funny as hell.
I can't go through a Christmas season without watching both of them.
I saw a copy of something called Christmas Vacation 2 whilst shopping and it looks like an abomination for which some producer should be euthanized. And, for which Randy Quaid deserves a good punch in the mouth for starring in.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a classic as well. Steve Martin and John Candy are comedic gold! Two thumbs...way the fuck up.
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Scrooged. What's the matter with you people?

Quote:
Christmas with the Kranks looks retarded. Yet it opened nearly with $20 million.
...which is a sad commentary on how stupid a large section of the population must be.

Quote:
Man, Bad Santa sucked balls. I was told that movie was funny but it seriously was just depressing and gross.
...I haven't seen Bad Santa, but Billy Bob Thornton depresses me.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:38 AM   Officer #18
Renegade
Stock Boy

Once again...Love Actually. And I heard about a movie called "It's a Wonderful Life". It won awards and crap back in 19something (black and white era). Home Alone 1 kicks ass, #2 also. #3 was...bleh.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:14 AM   Senior Registered Member #19
Ashley

How did I forget about Christmas Vacation?! Oh that movie seriously get's me everytime. Julia Louis-Dryfuss as the neighbor Margo... classic.
I actually watched that movie Thanksgiving night to kick off the holiday season as I do every year.

I also watched It's a Wonderful Life. "What do you want, Mary? Do you want the moon? If you want it, I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down for you. Hey. That's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Mary." That's just about the sweetest line ever.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #20
Pygmalion
Pissed

I have an aversion to Chrtistmas movies, Love Actually was OK-for a Christmas movie, and Christmas With the Kranks sucked.

My hatred is similar to yours of anime Haz :P
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote