Creationists versus Darwinists - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:35 PM   #21
IBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie
Hmmm - so you're saying religion doesn't make sense because you've seen nothing to prove it? According to your logic atoms don't exist.

According to modern science, molecules are made of tiny little bits called atoms. Have you ever seen them? No. We've just interpreted stuff, and come to the conclusion that they exist. We haven't *seen* them though. Sure, there hasn't been any proof to counter the atom theory, but wait - didn't we say a similar thing about religion? Why then, should I believe in atoms?

Thank you!

"Well you're right we can't see atoms but we can however see the effects atoms have on the physical world"

You can see the effects religion has on a person. Isn't that the same thing?
________
450sel 6.9
IBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 06:56 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #22
Leonie
Elle

Er... no. You'll prolly want to take that thank you back now

'You can see the effect of atoms on the physical world' translated to a religion argument would be: 'you can however see the effect of God on a person.' Religion is believing in god, as science is believing in atoms I guess.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:07 PM   #23
IBO

For a religious person they can see the effects of God. Everthing can be seen as a miracle. Science isn't perfect And science can't prove everything. Maybe in time it will.

How many times must I say that we don't know everything yet. Maybe in the future science will prove that God exists. Who knows! People have to be more open minded.

But I'm not trying to force feed you my theories. Sorry if it seems that way.

I'm just trying to find a happy medium
________
Canadian cooking
IBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:13 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #24
Leonie
Elle

I wasn't taking sides or anything, I solely pointed out that your logic there didn't really make sense either. Carry on
Old 01-12-2004, 09:01 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #25
Foeni

Religion influates people in very different ways. To me it's just a class I have to take. To others who might have had great personal suffers, I'm sure it's different. They need to have some kind of a reason of why, say their son died. Science can't say that, but the people I'm here talking about may feel better, especially if they believe their son is a better place. Also there's a big difference between the people believing. My teacher in Religion is a catholic minister, and if you saw him on the street or to a party (he's quite old, but still going to parties with us young people), you would never believe he was a minister. He used to be a disco owner in Germany, and of course a part of him is. He called two girls from 2. year protistutes in fun.. How many ministers do that? So my point is, that religion affects people in very different ways. Most ministers are like 'holy' people...

About the Bible.. It's mostly fairy tales, but they have a very good morale. Most of the western civilization is built on the morales of the bible (to the Australians: guess your society is based on the same...). About not killing, seems just 'right' to us, but that's only because of the way we're raised. We're raised on the words of the bible..
Old 01-12-2004, 11:29 PM   Officer #26
Mags
Officer

I generally follow the ideas of Darwinism, though I also consider myself to be religious as well.

But this article had parts that made me laugh out loud. My personal favorite?

"Evolution -- is that the Darwin theory?" Cashman shook her head. "I don't know just what he was thinking!"

Love that. I'm not here to bash anyone, Darwinist or Creationist, but this is what I think.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:24 AM   Senior Registered Member #27
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Don't bother fathoming how life came to Earth. You're all alive, make the most of it.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:43 AM   #28
Nick

When you say you can see the effects of God on people, exactly what effects are you seeing. I see narrow minded people who refuse to even consider other peoples opinions and it's because of people like that that we have situations like that of the one in the article Mags posted. I think it's stupid to teach creationism in a science class when creationism has nothing to do with science, if you want to teach creationism in a class about religion then that's fine. Really I think they ought to both be taught just in different classes that way the students can decide for themselves what to believe rather than having one or the other forced on them.

"Banish me from eden if you will,
but first let me eat of the fruit of knowledge."
~Col. Robert Green Ingersoll
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:30 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #29
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Really I think they ought to both be taught just in different classes that way the students can decide for themselves what to believe rather than having one or the other forced on them.
Because you wouldn't want to be open minded and know about different points of view. Notice how I use the word *know*. Knowing about a theory does not mean you believe it. It's how I manage to stay sane in sociology class.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:39 AM   #30
Nick

I think you misunderstood me, when I said they should be taught in different classes I didn't mean that some students would take the religious class and some the evolution class. I think all the students should take both the creationist and Darwinist classes that way they can look at the facts on both sides and make an informed decision.

"Banish me from eden if you will,
but first let me eat of the fruit of knowledge."
~Col. Robert Green Ingersoll
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote