Greenland contains enough melt water to eventually raise sea level by about 23 feet - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 15-11-2004, 03:01 AM   #1
Glare

Greenland contains enough melt water to eventually raise sea level by about 23 feet

This is kind of scary stuff, florida and the other low lying areas of the world are going to be under water by 2100.

Quote:
The newly released Arctic Climate Impact Assessment report predicts major Arctic snow and ice melting over the next 100 years.

WASHINGTON—The Arctic is warming much more rapidly than previously known, at nearly twice the rate of the rest of the globe, and increasing greenhouse gases from human activities are projected to make it warmer still, according to an unprecedented four-year scientific study of the region conducted by an international team of 300 scientists.

At least half of the summer sea ice in the Arctic is projected to melt by the end of this century, along with a significant portion of the Greenland Ice Sheet, as the region is projected to warm an additional 7 to 13°F (4-7°C) by 2100. These changes will have major global impacts, such as contributing to global sea-level rise and intensifying global warming, according to the final report of the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA).

The assessment was commissioned by the Arctic Council (a ministerial intergovernmental forum comprised of eight nations, including the United States, and six Indigenous Peoples organizations) and the International Arctic Science Committee (an international scientific organization appointed by 18 national academies of science).

• In Alaska, Western Canada, and Eastern Russia average winter temperatures have increased as much as 4 to 7°F (3-4°C) in the past 50 years, and are projected to rise 7-13°F (4-7°C) over the next 100 years.

• Arctic sea ice during the summer is projected to decline by at least 50 percent by the end of this century with some models showing near-complete disappearance of summer sea ice. This is very likely to have devastating consequences for some arctic animal species such as ice-living seals and for local people for whom these animals are a primary food source. At the same time, reduced sea ice extent is likely to increase marine access to some of the region’s resources.

• Warming over Greenland will lead to substantial melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet, contributing to global sea-level rise at increasing rates. Over the long term, Greenland contains enough melt water to eventually raise sea level by about 23 feet (about 7 meters).

• In the United States, low-lying coastal states like Florida and Louisiana are particularly susceptible to rising sea levels.

• Should the Arctic Ocean become ice-free in summer, it is likely that polar bears and some seal species would be driven toward extinction.
Old 15-11-2004, 03:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Drink more water!
Old 15-11-2004, 03:08 AM   #3
Jasper

Quote:
Warming over Greenland will lead to substantial melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet, contributing to global sea-level rise at increasing rates. Over the long term, Greenland contains enough melt water to eventually raise sea level by about 23 feet (about 7 meters).
23 Feet by 2100!?!?!?!? May the lord help us all.
"You know that with-holding evidence from a federal officer is a serious crime. Especially when that officer has paid handsomely for that evidence, and wouldn't think twice of ripping that patch off your eyehole and skull fucking you to death."
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 03:10 AM   #4
Glare

good, i always wanted to move closer to the beach
Old 15-11-2004, 03:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #5
Narg
Westie Yobbo

ill be dead by then, so i dont care, bl 2 any1 still alive.
Old 15-11-2004, 04:34 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #6
Liam
Bogan Elite

There is no such thing as global warming. Its a load of bullshit made up by environmentalists who want to frighten us into recycling.

I read that the earth goes through warmer spells every couple of hundred years. We are currently in one.
Old 15-11-2004, 04:37 AM   #7
IBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narg
ill be dead by then, so i dont care, bl 2 any1 still alive.
And what about your kids? If you even plan to have any. Don't you care for them at least?
________
Xl185
IBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 05:21 AM   Officer #8
Renegade
Stock Boy

Global warming is interesting. Some pyscho teacher at my school said all of Antarctica's ice would melt within the next 10 years. This thread might prove him right.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 06:32 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Adopting Narg's ignorant attiture, since there is no mention of Australia, I don't give a rat's arse either.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 06:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #10
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBO
And what about your kids? If you even plan to have any. Don't you care for them at least?
No, no i don't.
Old 15-11-2004, 06:56 AM   #11
Glare

well 23 feet in 100 years means it should rise about a foot every 3 or so years, I dont think I can see this happening, but i'm the believer of the whole day after tomorrow thing, where it will suddenly come to a halt and we will all be doomed.
Old 15-11-2004, 08:27 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #12
Leonie
Elle

Ever heard of ice ages? Ever heard of how the earth gets a bit warmer before one? Now think. There ya go.

If the sea level rises so much as 18 feet then half of my country is sea again. Can't say I mind. My home town is high and dry
Old 15-11-2004, 11:27 AM   #13
Timmy

meh i have mixed feelings on this one
Old 15-11-2004, 11:41 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

http://www.reason.com/rb/rb111004.shtml

Cycles. Cycles that we have little or no control over.
The only thing worth saving in Florida is Walt Disney World, Busch Gardens and Sea World. Um...scratch that, Florida will become Sea World.
Old 15-11-2004, 12:38 PM   Officer #15
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpeace website
People are changing the climate that made life on earth possible and the results are disastrous - extreme weather events, such as droughts and floods, disruption of water supplies, melting Polar regions, rising sea levels, loss of coral reefs and much more. Scientists and governments worldwide agree on the latest and starkest evidence of human-induced climate change, its impacts and the predictions of what is to come.

It is not too late to slow global warming and avoid the climate catastrophe that scientists predict. The solutions already exist. Renewable energy sources such as wind and solar offer abundant clean energy that is safe for the environment and good for the economy.

Other green technologies, such as the refrigeration technology Greenfreeze, offer viable alternatives to climate-changing chemicals.

Corporations, governments and individuals must begin now to phase in clean, sustainable energy solutions and phase out fossil fuels. Major investments must be made in renewable energy, particularly in developing economies, replacing current large scale fossil fuel developments.

At the same time, immediate international action must be taken to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases (the gases that cause global warming), or the world may soon face irreversible global climate damage.

Ratifying the Kyoto Protocol, the climate treaty finally agreed at Marrakech in November 2001, is a crucial first step in this process. However, the greenhouse gas reduction targets agreed at Marrakech are only a fraction of what is needed to stop dangerous climate change and the Kyoto Protocol is under fierce attack.

The US refuses to sign the climate treaty and take action to reduce emissions. With less than 5 percent of the world's population, the US is the world's largest producer of greenhouse gases and is responsible for 25 percent of global emissions. Also, governments continue to subsidise the fossil fuel industries, keeping dirty energy cheap while clean energy solutions remain under-funded.

Greenpeace is campaigning globally on a variety of fronts to stop climate change - from the campaign to pressure the ExxonMobil and George W Bush to work with the rest of the world to halt climate change, to researching and promoting clean energy solutions.

Find out what you can do by looking at our suggestions for Individual Action.
Greenpeace is an independent organisation, who stands for the protection of our natural environment.
If you can’t agree with the fact that we, as a people have a bad influence on our own planet, look around and tell me what you see? Cancer, aids, extreme weather changes, etc.
It’s true that we have a natural evolution, but we are speeding it up and nature tries everything she cans to bring it back in balance, if we don’t change our way of living on earth than we won’t survive.

Balance is the essence of our life/world, the more we push our planet out of balance the more nature will try to bring it back in balance.
Compare it with your own body, with your own live. To less is bad, to much is bad
think about it!!!
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 01:06 PM   Senior Registered Member #16
Narg
Westie Yobbo

Greenpeace is for faggot hippies with no jobs.
Old 15-11-2004, 01:18 PM   Officer #17
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narg
Greenpeace is for faggot hippies with no jobs.
Nope, Greenpeace is an organisation based on Volunteers, people who have a job, but who want to spent there free time to fight for our environment.
Anyway, that’s not the point, is it?
Old 15-11-2004, 02:19 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #18
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightfreak
Nope, Greenpeace is an organisation based on Volunteers, people who have a job, but who want to spent there free time to fight for our environment.
Anyway, that’s not the point, is it?
That does not make them independent as you said in your first post. Nor objective. They want to 'save' the environment, so rather than being wrong and letting the world selfdestruct, they'd support a theory that isn't necessarily true. Better safe than sorry eh?

Still think we have an ice age coming on. Not anytime soon. And there's nothing we can do about it anyway.
Old 15-11-2004, 02:25 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #19
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Ok, global temperature changes are cyclical. But, if you add a factor which didn't previously occur (see pollution) you are likely to alter the circle. It is like the Earth's orbit, it is a big ellipse and this causes all the seasony goodness. But by adding a slight thrust you would change the orbit slightly and thus change how the seasons progress.

The second issue is that global warming might be a divergent phenomena (small input leads to chain of effects resulting in a large change).

What we know - We are doing something that hasn't been done before.
- This might result in effects that range from the disconcerting to the downright disasterous.

Suffice to say, it might be a good idea to take a look at the way we exploit (word used in the classical sense) our planets natural resources and produce energy.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 02:47 PM   Officer #20
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie
That does not make them independent as you said in your first post. Nor objective. They want to 'save' the environment, so rather than being wrong and letting the world selfdestruct, they'd support a theory that isn't necessarily true. Better safe than sorry eh?

Still think we have an ice age coming on. Not anytime soon. And there's nothing we can do about it anyway.
With independent i meant, that they pay there actions with gifts from individuals, they don’t accept in anyway financial support from companies, governments, etc
So they could keep there independence, Greenpeace is based on volunteers who support the idea where Greenpeace stands for. So I don’t see your point.

Well, i think there are theories enough that prove that we affect the global warming with our aggressive way of exploiting our planet.
I rather believe, them and try to do something about it now, than to say in 50years: "shit they where correct"
The alternatives are better anyway why don’t we use them, instead of going on like a bunch of fools!!!