Astrological Signs - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
IBO

Astrological Signs

Astrological signs, What are these unique symbols? Who created them and for what purpose? Are horoscopes accurate? Where did they originate?

I???m just trying to gain some knowledge so please answer with logical explanations, please don???t spam.

Ex. Horoscopes are shit, Fuck these stupid things, who cares, etc???

I already know that people on this site can come up with nonsense, but here???s a chance to have a proper conversation.

Again PLEASE DON???T SPAM!
________
Masturbation Hand
IBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:25 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #2
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I may be wrong, but I believe they are based on constellations visible at certain periods of time during the year, and I think it was the Romans who developed it.
Again, I could be wrong. Not exactly my strong suit.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
marry rich people

I think Hasselbrad's right. They are based on constellations and planets that appeared during different times of the year. Whatever constellations and planets could be seen during the time of a person's birth were said to reflect the personality of that person. Their accuracy is in the eyes of the beholder.
For a change, for a change
Thats ok, ok, ok
marry rich people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Bait

the only thing i know is that im an Aries and its a ram...i just looked at my horoscope and i think i should listen to it :P

Financial changes will ease your stress. Put a little time and effort into your surroundings. Patience may be required but, if you can master that, you will excel.

right now im doing my homework and its telling me to put some effort into it...and thats what my teachers tell me
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:03 AM   Senior Registered Member #5
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

Astrology is bullshit.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:25 AM   #6
IBO

To administration

CFC, I commend your meaningless post. A prime example of why this site is spiraling downwards. Even after strict rules of posting, you still insisted to write nonsense. Amazingly enough, your post was reasonably similar to one of my examples. Don???t take offence by this post, it was merely to show administration how diminutive their power is. Nothing can stop people from posting their opinions, so there is no hope in bring harmony to the wavefront. There will always be that one person who has to speak their mind. To conclude, I ask the administration to dismiss the visualization of having a peaceful forum.
________
Honda X4 specifications
Old 12-11-2004, 06:45 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #7
Leonie
Elle

That's what banning is for. Yes, that was a warning, CFC. We don't want people to stop posting their opinions, we want them to start posting them, but a bit of argumentation would be nice. Reading what other people posted before you would be too. Yes, I'm a dreamer

As for astrological signs - did a bit of research just now. Apparently, 'the history of astrology used to be the history of the world, until astrology fell out of grace during the age of Enlightment, some 350 years ago'. (www.astroamerica.com/history.html )

More history: http://www.astrology.com/aboutastrol...rview/history/ I could try and summarise it, but it's probably easiest if you just read it. It does show that apparently even the Egyptians already had some sort of astrological knowledge.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
Nick

The astrological symbols you see in a horoscope are usually Roman and/or Greek symbols. However many ancient civilizations studied the stars to try and understand the universe. Really all of them were pretty much studying the same constellations it's just that they all had their own names for them because the patterns of the stars may have looked like different things to different people. For example to the Greeks the Little Dipper looked like a bear, but obviously someone else thought it looked more like a ladle. So to answer your question, no astrology is not accurate because each culture has different interpretations of what the different constellations represent. In other words a certain constellation could mean several different things depending on which culture's astrological knowledge you are going by, and who knows which one is right if any at all. So astrology is pretty much nothing more than superstitious mumbo jumbo created by the ancients to try and better understand the universe. However such superstitions have little relevance in todays world because we now have something called modern science which helps us understand the way the world works.

"Banish me from eden if you will,
but first let me eat of the fruit of knowledge."
~Col. Robert Green Ingersoll
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:12 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Nick, of course there are people who still believe there is such thing as luck and fate, something which your modern science can't explain. Or you can blame it on coincidences. Horoscopes manage to guess most of my fortunes by being extremely vague. I wouldn't put my life on them, but they'd be worth a look.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:24 AM   #10
Nick

Quote:
Nick, of course there are people who still believe there is such thing as luck and fate, something which your modern science can't explain. Or you can blame it on coincidences. Horoscopes manage to guess most of my fortunes by being extremely vague. I wouldn't put my life on them, but they'd be worth a look.
That's the problem with horoscopes, they are very vague and they are nothing more than guesses. Yes modern science can explain it very easily. And yes I think what people call luck is nothing more than coincidence or chance. If you think you've had good luck it was really just a matter of probability.
For example if you find some money that someone dropped in the street it wasn't luck or fate that caused that person to lose that money so you could find it, it was simply chance that you just decided to walk down that same street where that person dropped the money. Fate was not involved, you decided for yourself out of several other options to walk down that street and it just so happened that someone had dropped some money there earlier that day.
It was simply unlikely odds, let's say that about 300 people travel along that street every day, that means of course that the chance that any one person will find the money is 1/300 but out of those 300 people someone has to find the money eventually and that someone just happened to be you. You see all this fate and luck stuff can really be explained very easily if one just uses a bit of logic and basic mathematics that one probably learned in 3rd grade. It's just that so often the chances seems so small that people feel that it must be fate that brought this good "fortune" on you when in reality it really was just statistics and probability.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:02 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #11
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
That's the problem with horoscopes, they are very vague and they are nothing more than guesses. Yes modern science can explain it very easily. And yes I think what people call luck is nothing more than coincidence or chance. If you think you've had good luck it was really just a matter of probability.
For example if you find some money that someone dropped in the street it wasn't luck or fate that caused that person to lose that money so you could find it, it was simply chance that you just decided to walk down that same street where that person dropped the money. Fate was not involved, you decided for yourself out of several other options to walk down that street and it just so happened that someone had dropped some money there earlier that day.
It was simply unlikely odds, let's say that about 300 people travel along that street every day, that means of course that the chance that any one person will find the money is 1/300 but out of those 300 people someone has to find the money eventually and that someone just happened to be you. You see all this fate and luck stuff can really be explained very easily if one just uses a bit of logic and basic mathematics that one probably learned in 3rd grade. It's just that so often the chances seems so small that people feel that it must be fate that brought this good "fortune" on you when in reality it really was just statistics and probability.

Whilst I myself dont believe in fate or luck, as such, and agree with your statistical overview and its interpretations this merely is an alternate view to luck or fate, and does nothing to disprove it. Last time I checked providing an alternative solution to a theoretical argument does not constitute disproving that original theory.
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:50 PM   Senior Registered Member #12
Pete
Monty

as much as modern science trys to take control of the world there are always older methods that keep defying it....

horoscopes... if they mean so little why on earth do all papers have them in there somewhere??? people like to think that their particular sign and the prediction made by the papers mystic somehow applies to just them and that if they follow it something good will happen that day...

didnt someone make a film where he followed his horoscope everyday??
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:28 PM   First Class Member Officer #13
Sarah
Nice

It would seem Uranus is up your arse.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:31 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #14
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Uranus is your arse.
I don't put a lot of stock in horoscopes...but I'm a Capricorn (goat).
And I eat tin cans...so maybe there is something to them.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:27 PM   #15
IBO

It's really amazing?
________
Marijuana sativa
Old 13-11-2004, 05:33 AM   #16
Nick

Quote:
Whilst I myself dont believe in fate or luck, as such, and agree with your statistical overview and its interpretations this merely is an alternate view to luck or fate, and does nothing to disprove it. Last time I checked providing an alternative solution to a theoretical argument does not constitute disproving that original theory.
Yes perhaps what I call chance and probability is really the same thing as luck, however fate is different. Fate doesn't have to do with being lucky, fate is believing that the course of your life is predestined and that is a load of shit. No ones life is predestined, each person has the ability to make their own choices and to control their own life.

Quote:
horoscopes... if they mean so little why on earth do all papers have them in there somewhere??? people like to think that their particular sign and the prediction made by the papers mystic somehow applies to just them and that if they follow it something good will happen that day...
Horoscopes are meaningless, the reason they are printed in so many news papers and so many people read them is because people don't like thinking for themselves. It's much easier to just read your horoscope and follow what it says than to think for yourself and take control of your own life. To some people it's almost religious but in the words of Karl Marx "Religion is the opium of the masses." In other words religion requires no brain power, people simply practice religion because it makes them feel good like a drug but it does nothing for them intellectually.

Old 13-11-2004, 11:45 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #17
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Horoscopes are meaningless, the reason they are printed in so many news papers and so many people read them is because people don't like thinking for themselves. It's much easier to just read your horoscope and follow what it says than to think for yourself and take control of your own life. To some people it's almost religious but in the words of Karl Marx "Religion is the opium of the masses." In other words religion requires no brain power, people simply practice religion because it makes them feel good like a drug but it does nothing for them intellectually.
If we're going to be sociologists... I didn't take the damn course for nothing after all. I think you may be right - but if we're going to be quoting the masters, Durkheim would say: "Religion is what keeps society together."

Horoscopes... I don't think people read them to make decisions for them. It is merely an attempt to make sense of a confusing world. Horoscopes are the perfect tools for that, they're vague, so basically, you can see structures that aren't there. I think most people realise they're not the most reliable source of information, however, that doesn't stop them from looking back and coming to the conclusion that the neighbour they hadn't talked to for two weeks is 'the old friend that will cross their path again'.

I don't like the whole idea of astrologocial signs. I think it's utter madness that me and 1/12th of the world all have the same character traits (generally), only because we were born under the same sign. Don't think so. It's what I dislike about both sociology and astrology: I'm an individual damn it. Yet at the same time... The supposed virgo character traits, perfectionism, wanting to help people all the time, worrying... I've got them. Then again, doesn't everybody?
Old 13-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #18
seventhson

Horoscope: n. A diagram of the position of the planets & stars at a given moment, such as the moment of a person's birth, used by astrologers.
Astrology: n. The study of the positions and aspects of celestial bodies with a view of predicting their influence on human afairs.
Since I was born in early June, I'm a Gemini which means I am either bipolar, or suffer from split personality disorder...
Who said that? Do you hear voices? I'm glad... No, I'm mad... Who said that?
Atrology is good for a laugh when I thumb through the newspaper looking for the comics.
There is no such thing as accident, coincidence, fate, chance or luck. There is only one specific purpose and plan for everything in life. Do you have frequent communications with the one who created the plan?
Peace,
(-: SeventhSon :-)
seventhson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004, 03:06 PM   Senior Registered Member #19
PhoeniX

I dont understand how people can read from the stars.

If they can
PhoeniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #20
IBO

From a very respectable source: Tell me what you think.

As far as I know astrology represents the humbly beginnings of astronomy. My understanding is that it originated in that area between the Tigris and the Euphrates - where the Garden of Eden is supposed to have been. That would be Mesopotamia and also in Egypt. Both civilizations were mightily interested in the stars. They believed in planetary or at least stellar influences.

They knew that the full moon affected lunatics ( lunar) They saw changes in associations and events and attributed it to the heavenly bodies. They tried to systematize the movements and invest them with meaning. Man does that.

The actual symbols are quite arbitrary - simply a means of identifying a chaotic mass of stars. The Chinese I think have very different symbols.

Studies seem to indicate that there is some little credence to it but not to the extent that our newspapers would have it, and certainly not such that it can negate the individual will.

Studies ? A Frenchman computerized all doctors , teachers, judges etc and found that there was a predominance of one astronomical sign with doctors and another with athletes etc.

Are they accurate ? Some anecdotal accounts are impressive
________
Ipad Cases