Pride and Prejudice - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 18-06-2004, 08:42 PM   Knightley News #1
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

Pride and Prejudice

Here's what we know so far:

Keira has signed to play Elizabeth Bennet in 'Pride & Prejudice' for Working Title Films, producers of Love Actually and Four Weddings And A Funeral. Filming is due to start in mid-July. It will be the first movie version of the Jane Austen novel since 1940 (which starred Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier).

Cast:
Elizabeth Bennet - Keira Knightley
Fitzwilliam Darcy - Matthew MacFadyen
Lydia Bennet - Jena Malone
Jane Bennet - Rosamund Pike
Kitty Bennet - Carey Mulligan
Mary Bennet - Talulah Riley

Director: Joe Wright
Producer: Paul Webster
Screenplay: Deborah Moggach ('Close Relations', 'Tulip Fever'), then Lee Hall ('Billy Elliott').

Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall (both in Derbyshire) are rumoured to be filming locations, the former for Darcy's residence, the latter for the Bennets'.

Working Title Films said: "We're trying to do something that pleases the enthusiasts and the Austen fans, that's a faithful adaptation but with a bit more muscle".

Paul

Last edited by KnightleyNews; 18-06-2004 at 09:04 PM.
KnightleyNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
ice crystal

It should be good... although Colin Firth is the original Mr Darcy!
ice crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
Anna

Interesting cast! Rosamund Pike should be very good as Jane. I wonder who will play Mr. Bingley?

The BBC production with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle was wonderful. It'll be interesting to compare the two.

#5 in the Keira Knightley Posse
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 04:58 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #4
Leonie
Elle

Well, I don't think you can compair the BBC miniseries and Keira's film. They'll have to leave out certain scenes to make the film a decent length, so it will never be as close an adaption as the miniseries. That's probably what all Austen fans will nag about. I loved the book, and hope Keira's film will do it justice.

Secondly, wasn't Elizabeth supposed to be less pretty than her older sister, but smarter and funnier? They're not gonna find anyone beautiful enough to play Jane then :P
Leonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 06:03 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie
Well, I don't think you can compair the BBC miniseries and Keira's film. They'll have to leave out certain scenes to make the film a decent length, so it will never be as close an adaption as the miniseries. That's probably what all Austen fans will nag about. I loved the book, and hope Keira's film will do it justice.

Secondly, wasn't Elizabeth supposed to be less pretty than her older sister, but smarter and funnier? They're not gonna find anyone beautiful enough to play Jane then :P
Not read the book but in that case, they probably should've swapped over Rosamund Pike and Keira...Rosamund Pike, if memory serves, was very sassy in Die Another Day. She's not bad looking, but if she's supposed to play a role that's prettier than Keira...err...no.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 09:21 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #6
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I'm still not too thrilled about Keira being in this new version, but I'm sure I'll change my mind. Definitely still trying to get over Jena Malone being cast. I love the book so I'm glad they are trying to stick closely to it.

On another note, the script must be finished now since money has now been paid for it. I saw this on Done Deal. They only have Moggach listed as writer and the only cast info they have is Keira.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #7
wee me

pride and prejudice is such a gd book- who better to play the brilliant lizzie than keira?
wee me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
Vertical Vortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee me
pride and prejudice is such a gd book- who better to play the brilliant lizzie than keira?
you tell me... i really dont know
for real, i actually never heard of this whole story... me feels bad now is there a link somewhere where its about?
Old 19-06-2004, 10:58 PM   #9
Glow

What is that book"Pride and prejudice"?????
Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 11:08 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #10
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow
What is that book"Pride and prejudice"?????

Its the book entitled 'Pride and Prejudice' silly, try googling it or search ion Amazon for a review/taster
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 11:17 PM   #11
Vertical Vortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
Its the book entitled 'Pride and Prejudice' silly, try googling it or search ion Amazon for a review/taster
nah, there have to be someone arround this place knowing a good address... i am too lazy to googling those things
Old 19-06-2004, 11:19 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #12
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

but you will waste the effort to post meaningless replies. how ironic
Old 19-06-2004, 11:22 PM   #13
Vertical Vortex

Quote:
but you will waste the effort to post meaningless replies. how ironic
so true... i've my prioritys there...
and its better than bitching about others...
Old 19-06-2004, 11:27 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #14
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

I like bitching.

Vortex stop posting off topic tripe
Old 20-06-2004, 01:02 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #15
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
I like bitching.

Vortex stop posting off topic tripe
Poggs is a mod...what he says goes...and it's their job to bitch...sheesh!

Me? I just bitch for the hell of it. Now, can we please get back on topic?

I don't know much about this project...I know the writer also worked on Tulip Fever...what's the director worked on before?
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2004, 08:14 AM   Officer #16
EmotionSickness
Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle

I don't know much about this project...I know the writer also worked on Tulip Fever...what's the director worked on before?
The director, Joe Wright, is pretty much a 'nobody' who has done only a handful of 'nothing films': three miniseries: "Charles II: The Power & the Passion" (2003), "Bodily Harm" (2002), and "Nature Boy" (2000) and two feature films, The End (1998) and Crocodile Snap (1997).

Gosh, I hope this doesn't suck. I have a sneaking suspicion that it most definitely will NOT do the book, nor the other film and tv versions of it justice. I'm sure Keira will be dazzling, but the film itself will bomb, both critically and at the box office (I have my doubts as to whether it will even be released in the U.S.) I know I have a very skeptical and negative view, but, hey -- they're tampering with a classic. I really hope I'm wrong!
Old 20-06-2004, 09:04 AM   #17
Alendor

I'm of course looking forward to it. But I fear that this might be a moive, where I would seriously need a date to see it. I don't think this is a movie a guy should willingly go in and see by himself. But everything for Keira.
Alendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #18
Glow

Ok I found informations abaut this book...

"First published in 1813, Pride and Prejudice has consistently been Jane Austen's most popular novel. It portrays life in the genteel rural society of the day, and tells of the initial misunderstandings and later mutual enlightenment between Elizabeth Bennet (whose liveliness and quick wit have often attracted readers) and the haughty Darcy. The title Pride and Prejudice refers (among other things) to the ways in which Elizabeth and Darcy first view each other. The original version of the novel was written in 1796-1797 under the title First Impressions, and was probably in the form of an exchange of letters."

Old 20-06-2004, 10:22 AM   #19
Glow

heh...or abaut film
Old 20-06-2004, 01:10 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #20
Leonie
Elle

I loved the book. I had to read if for English class, but didn't mind at all. All of you who don't have a clue what it's about yet: go read it!

It's basically about 5 sisters, Elizabeth being the 2nd, whose mum is trying to make them marry well. Not as shallow as it sounds, lots of sarcasm, Elizabeth being quite funny herself.
Leonie is offline   Reply With Quote