To All Americans... - Page 3 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:21 AM   #41
bob

Quote:
Truth. It's a real skill. I mean the British have been self-deprecating for years.
as have the aussies. the simpsons can make a completely crazed stereotypical piece regarding aussies (crazed because some of those stereotypes were pulled straight from the creators arses) and we still take it all in good humour.

and let's face it, americans really DO need a better emphasis on geography in their schooling. the only reason americans know a bit more about australia is because of the friggen 2000 olympics. before then a lot of people still believed that there was a kangaroo lane on the harbour bridge.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:23 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #42
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

I actually have rethought my views on those episodes of the Simpsons which show stereotypes of England and Australia. I think perhaps the creators are actually satirising how Americans view the rest of the world...and how wrong they are? In the context of the satire that IS in the Simpsons (and thus why it is one of the best American comedies of all time), that would make sense.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:27 AM   #43
bob

obviously yes, i'd like to think that they're intelligent people (simpsons roxxors) but what's disturbing is the number of impressionable americans who view those episodes and take them for face value. i've actually had people ask me questions where they refer to that simpsons episode.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:27 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #44
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
obviously yes, i'd like to think that they're intelligent people (simpsons roxxors) but what's disturbing is the number of impressionable americans who view those episodes and take them for face value. i've actually had people ask me questions where they refer to that simpsons episode.
Aye...that's just Americans for you. We really should take the country back, in all seriousness.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:32 AM   Senior Registered Member #45
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Am I not an inteligent American? Please, tell me. If I'm a fucking idiot, tell me. *Sees it coming* I'm not sure what Americans you're talking about.

Try and take back America, Haz. Even though we broke away. So you didn't give us anything. Try and take it. We'll shoot 2 of our own men, but still get you in the process. No worries, we have millions more to spare.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:32 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #46
Liam
Bogan Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
You can be british and live in scotland at the same time?
Priceless.

The difference as I see it is that the British (and us, by extention) are able to laugh at themselves. Evidently, Americans cant. Honestly, this is light hearted stuff and nothing to get so fucking defensive over.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #47
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Hm... wonder if the UK tries to take back the US whose side Australia's on... I hope all the monarchists attempt to assasinate Howard when he goes stick his support up Bush's ass.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 07-11-2004, 02:36 AM   #48
doubly
Newcomer

Location: West of New York, East of San Francisco, United States
I guess I had better apologize for some of the brash comments I have made (particularly the one involving royal crowns and rectums). I'm just sick of people bashing America without knowing much about it. Britain is the foremost ally with America in its war against terror and its closest brother-nation culturally.

This thread has retrogressed into name-calling (which I probably started). It makes you wonder why the nations of the world can't unite under the binding theme of this association--our love for Keira Knightley. Wouldn't the world be a better place?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:37 AM   Senior Registered Member #49
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
The difference as I see it is that the British (and us, by extention) are able to laugh at themselves. Evidently, Americans cant.
And you're basing this on? A WB show that probably sucked balls anyway. South Park makes fun of American culture. Team America World Police. Both praised here. But whatever.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:39 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #50
Liam
Bogan Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
And you're basing this on?
The response this thread got? Pretty reliable indicator, one feels.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:41 AM   Senior Registered Member #51
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

And we've got Kath and Kim, Russel Coight series, Crocodile Dundee, nearly all the sketch shows, Steve Irwin, etc etc. Pfft, we can take the piss out of ourselves easy compared to your 2 shows, which are made by the same people anyway.

No doubly, it wouldn't be a better place. A place of love for Keira Knightley is like... nothing.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 07-11-2004, 02:45 AM   #52
bob

jacoby, the fact that you're so defensive about this demonstrates the lack of a sense of humour.

and south park tends to draw in an audience of 8-14yr olds. how many kids that age understand the satirical undertones of the show? they just like to hear cartoons swear. i'm making a generalistion here but i think it's a fairly valid one.

as for the WB show, it merely suggested the american audience's inability to understand subtle humour directed at themselves. on the surface it was a silly and pointless show, which is probably what most of the audience thought - hence cancellation. i know that over in australia the show was a big hit.

and yes, mandy's comment was classic.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:55 AM   Senior Registered Member #53
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
jacoby, the fact that you're so defensive about this demonstrates the lack of a sense of humour.
I'm only defensive about it here because all the other American people pretend they're British and say "Oh, it's funny cus we're stoopid. I get it!". Seriously, Kelsey and I swore to stand up for our country because most of the Americans here talk shit about it to try and please people of differnet countries. It's ridiculous.

Where's Kelsey?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:05 AM   #54
bob

well you have to admit that with a population over 300 million there's bound to be a large number of idiots within your country. and the bad always overshadows the good.

and it's satirical. if you can laugh at south park or team america surely you can find a bit of humour in this piece? ah well, i pass judgement because it's not my country.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #55
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Not here when you need her to be obviously. Also not all the other Americans did what you said. Ryan was defensive, but only for 1 post :P

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 07-11-2004, 03:08 AM   Senior Registered Member #56
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
and it's satirical. if you can laugh at south park or team america surely you can find a bit of humour in this piece? ah well, i pass judgement because it's not my country.
Different style of humor I guess. A lot of it's true and blunt, yes, which makes it funny. But I just can't see it as a joke. Shit, I guess I love my country. But yeah, there are a lot of idiots here. And unfortunately, they're the only people that are televized. I have a lot of material to make fun of this country, but I just can't do it. *shrugs* I'm sorry I don't have a sense of humor.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:08 AM   Senior Registered Member #57
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Priceless.

The difference as I see it is that the British (and us, by extention) are able to laugh at themselves. Evidently, Americans cant. Honestly, this is light hearted stuff and nothing to get so fucking defensive over.
It gets old and tired when every non-American bitches about the election. You can only take the little jokes for so long before they become annoying.
People just need to give it a rest...
Old 07-11-2004, 03:11 AM   Senior Registered Member #58
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviljet88
Not here when you need her to be obviously. Also not all the other Americans did what you said. Ryan was defensive, but only for 1 post :P
Yeah, Ryan seems to stick up for his beliefs.

I'm done with this thread. Don't hold me up to the last statement.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:14 AM   #59
bob

personally i've forgotten about the election. to me it seems like there never was one and bush is just around as he has been for the past 4 years. but then... i didn't follow the election coverage so maybe that's why i'm not so miffed.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:25 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #60
Liam
Bogan Elite

The best thing to do it let everyone have their fun. If you dont stir people up, they will get bored of it soon enough. Did it strike anyone that the thread was started to see what sort of response it could get?

On the note of the election, I followed it with a geniune interest because I have enough of a brain to realise that hey, this doesn't just affect America. Whether anyone else realises it or not, the outcome of the election had an effect on my country, my economy, my military and the price of my pancake mix. I like to think I'm bright enough to stand out from the regular crowd of election blow ins. If I haven't conducted myself in that manner then fine, fuck it, I apologise, but as an adult I like to keep myself informed and abreast of whats going on in the world.

If that makes me a bad person, then so be it.

Take it to PM if you want to continue the fighting.
Closed Thread