To All Americans... - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:21 PM   #21
doubly
Newcomer

Location: West of New York, East of San Francisco, United States
This thread really pisses me off. Perhaps the starter of this thread has to get off his proverbial high horse and realize (notice my proud American "z") that the American people, the populous of the most powerful nation of the world, have spoken and have chosen their president. Perhaps the starter must recogni"z"e that, despite our pitiable understanding of the world around us, our culture is exported around the world more than that of any other nation. There must be something about our ignorance that the world finds attractive. I, for one, do not want to dechristianize our conservative nation by bastardizing our airwaves with curse words and I don’t want to jeopardize the foundations of our country by letting terrorists terrorize our homeland. I agree with Jacoby when he says that the starter of this thread was being hypocritical in attacking American culture. You British can take your royalization and shove it up you ass. If the Middle East is democratized, then heap thanks upon the US and Americanization for making the world a safer place for ourselves and for those who criticize our ways.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:33 PM   Senior Registered Member #22
Spire
InSpire Me

You don't live here so I don't give a damn. You'd say the same thing if I started ragging on Britain.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #23
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

I think you'll find that it is Americans that are on their high horses.

no need to comment, Baz is British and therefore right
Old 06-11-2004, 11:32 PM   Senior Registered Member #24
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

It's finally time the British Commonwealth begins expanding again Join Australia in being lead by a head of state across the oceans

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 06-11-2004, 11:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #25
Spire
InSpire Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
I think you'll find that it is Americans that are on their high horses.

no need to comment, Baz is British and therefore right
I'm not on any high horse, you British are. I haven't seen any Americans being nearly as pretentious or cocky as you Brits.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:49 PM   First Class Member Officer #26
Sarah
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire
I'm not on any high horse, you British are. I haven't seen any Americans being nearly as pretentious or cocky as you Brits.
Says you
Old 06-11-2004, 11:55 PM   Senior Registered Member #27
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
and Jacoby, so what? Why can't I laugh at sterotypes? Thats what you all do about the British.

I don't give a shit.
Sorry, must have mistaken you as someone who gave a shit. And that Family Guy episode is the only thing I can think of that mocks the British stereotype.

I like Doulby. He's a friend. I just hate how most Americans respect and usually look up to English people and then we get pissed on. It's not our personal faults that us Americans spell things differently. Or pronounce things certain ways. It was neither Spire, Doubly, nor myself that decided to call our football "football". Sorry about that. It doesn't make sense to me either. Honestly, when I joined the KKW last December, I seriously wanted so badly to be English. Ask some of my friends. I wanted to move to Devon so badly. I even spelled words the "proper" English way. But then I wasn't really enjoying what was being said, and realized that I shouldn't try to be English. This is sort of dragging off topic now. But my dreams of living in England are...soiled. I'll go there for a year in college. See how everything is. If everyone's a cunt about me being American, and I know they won't be (well hopefully), then I'll head back across the pond. So far I've talked to one English person who wasn't an ass to me about everything. And his name is Paul. He was cool. Crap, this is dragging off topic again. I vote for Duckula to make the American threads for now on.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:00 AM   First Class Member Officer #28
Sarah
Nice

I find is difficult to communicate with a lot of Americans. The first thing they normally ask is ''Do you know the queen'', or they'll say ''England is tiny... have you heard of Peter La-Bonis'' (or some other queer name) as if to say I should know every english person who lives.

I was reading some comments in the paper from Americans and they called England a ''third world country'' which ''I never want to visit''.

If that doesn't say something, what does.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:01 AM   Senior Registered Member #29
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Nuh, Barrington's made me laugh more. Baz > Duck.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 07-11-2004, 12:03 AM   Senior Registered Member #30
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
I find is difficult to communicate with a lot of Americans. The first thing they normally ask is ''Do you know the queen'', or they'll say ''England is tiny... have you heard of Peter La-Bonis'' (or some other queer name) as if to say I should know every english person who lives.

I was reading some comments in the paper from Americans and they called England a ''third world country'' which ''I never want to visit''.

If that doesn't say something, what does.
What the fuck? Every single one of us said those things? They probably went to Missouri, or some shitty state like that, and asked what people thought of England. I don't understand why you're so patriotic. I heard Grimsby is pretty shitty. And I heard it from a Londoner.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:06 AM   #31
johnnyboy

Europe is > America, its got more freedom, but that's just my opinion.

I love America, don't get me wrong, everything is great, it just shocks me how a lot people in America can be so provincial in thought and action sometimes (example - gay marriage).

In case you didn't notice, I'm a liberal
Old 07-11-2004, 12:26 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
Narg
Westie Yobbo

How much british arrogance can you cram into one post ?, Baz has answered my question.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:36 AM   Senior Registered Member #33
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy
I love America, don't get me wrong, everything is great, it just shocks me how a lot people in America can be so provincial in thought and action sometimes (example - gay marriage).
Yeah, some people here are evil in those ways. I know what you mean.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:53 AM   #34
NearokA

You're absolutely right Bazzle. America is one fucked up country!

But we're still the number one superpower. lol. The last good thing that came from England? Fish N' chips. hehe. Watch out! You guys may yet have your worked cut out for you!

To have fish, or to have fish N' chips, that is the question, matey. Arrrgg!
two of a kind but one won't survive,
my images reflect in the enemies eye,
and his images reflect in mine the same time,
--Mos Def
Old 07-11-2004, 01:57 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #35
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

A sense of humour transplant is majorly needed by every fucking American...sorry...this was fucking HILARIOUS and it's not just the British who think so.

Oh yeah, and it's a British forum. Dedicated to a British actress. Started by a Brit. In fact, two of the admins are British, the other is a subject of Her Majesty whether he likes or not (and he finds this post funny so gg Liam), as is the guy whose server hosts the site...

In short. Baz is right.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:08 AM   Senior Registered Member #36
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

I don't see any humor in it...There's no jokes. Just some person telling us we suck. It's like me saying all short English people are losers. Where's the punch line?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:10 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #37
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
I don't see any humor in it...There's no jokes. Just some person telling us we suck. It's like me saying all short English people are losers. Where's the punch line?
It's filled with cutting sarcasm, satire, wit and ironic statements. However those are all forms of humour (it has a U in it) that require intelligence to spot, and which Americans are hardly famed for getting

There's even social commentary in it (the petrol prices). It's no different to any other form of satire...you lot just don't get satire much. You DO know what satire IS, right?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:12 AM   #38
bob

it's the fact that americans can't poke fun at themselves. some of those things are true (especially about the extreme crappy quality of your beer)

it's an amusing piece that has been met with "you assholes suck" by half the american population of this board (regulars)

just look at 'grosse point'. one of the few gems to be created by theWB channel, cancelled after the first season because americans simply couldn't poke fun at themselves.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:13 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #39
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
it's the fact that americans can't poke fun at themselves. some of those things are true (especially about the extreme crappy quality of your beer)

it's an amusing piece that has been met with "you assholes suck" by half the american population of this board (regulars)

just look at 'grosse point'. one of the few gems to be created by theWB channel, cancelled after the first season because americans simply couldn't poke fun at themselves.
Truth. It's a real skill. I mean the British have been self-deprecating for years.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:17 AM   Senior Registered Member #40
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

They can't stand being poked at rather than themselves, since its something they wouldn't do to themselves.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Closed Thread