Props to John Kerry... - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:21 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #21
Liam
Bogan Elite

What I dont understand is all the bitching and moaning that Bush won, even though only 25% of eligible voters could be bothered enough to get off their arse and have their say. Next time I hear someone moaning on TV that Bush sucks, I'm just going to laugh. Should have voted then, eh?

For a country that bills itself as powerful and wise, I find that fucking pathetic.

Although at the same time I'm glad Bush won.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:54 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #22
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
What I dont understand is all the bitching and moaning that Bush won, even though only 25% of eligible voters could be bothered enough to get off their arse and have their say. Next time I hear someone moaning on TV that Bush sucks, I'm just going to laugh. Should have voted then, eh?

For a country that bills itself as powerful and wise, I find that fucking pathetic.

And, for all of the "Vote or Die" bullshit, the percentage of 18-29 year olds was exactly the same as 2000.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:57 PM   Officer #23
Mags
Officer

God, that does piss me off. Voter apathy is retarded. Stupid fuckwads who can't get off their asses and vote...well, luckily maybe with this president they'll be punished, perhaps with the denial of a few civil liberties.

What sucks, is all of us that DID vote will lose em too. Awesome America.

Fucking awesome.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:13 PM   Senior Registered Member #24
Spire
InSpire Me

I can bitch about the president if I vote or I don't vote (I did). First off, the president we vote for very often turns out to be completely different when he steps into office. And secondly, in some states, it wouldn't matter who I vote for. I live in Texas, and it's going to be Republican, pretty much no matter what.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:50 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #25
Foeni

Liam, if you think these people bitch about Bush having won the election... I haven't yet found ANYONE at my age (except for myself) who's happy Bush won.. Everyone is is like 'OMG, what the fuck is wrong with those stupid Americans?!?'. And so does my history teacher.. She is so fucked, too.. It's just nice to see that people in here are more serious than saying "Fuck Bush, he's soooo fucked" while giving Bush a moustache like Hitler's (on pictures).
Old 04-11-2004, 09:00 PM   Senior Registered Member #26
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahfan
yeah, nick...that just sucks for you...hey we both had,well you currently have a govenor from the movie prediator....
I think Nick lives in Oregon. Ahnuld is guv'ner of California.

And about the electoral college; methinks it's not necessary. It was created when people weren't educated about political candidates because of the lack of technology. Now with the the internet, television, and everything else, it's safe to say everyone hears enough about the candidates to make a proper, fair decision.

I'm gonna miss the laughs we had, John Kerry. And the way you'd keep me warm with your voice. Jacoby report-re-*sniffles* reporting...for...duty.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #27
AureaMediocritas

I am glad Bush won , I will be able to drive my car for such a long time still !!!
With a bit of luck , petrol prices will decrease once he has conquered all the
petrol exporting countries... (sounds gay , I know)
Old 04-11-2004, 10:30 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #28
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I'm glad that Bush won. Kerry's a dumbass. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that Seth Myers was hilarious as Kerry on SNL. Plus, it's kind of too bad that we're gonna have to listen to Ben Affleck bitch for another four years. I could live without that.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:03 PM   Senior Registered Member #29
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeni
Liam, if you think these people bitch about Bush having won the election... I haven't yet found ANYONE at my age (except for myself) who's happy Bush won.. Everyone is is like 'OMG, what the fuck is wrong with those stupid Americans?!?'. And so does my history teacher.. She is so fucked, too.. It's just nice to see that people in here are more serious than saying "Fuck Bush, he's soooo fucked" while giving Bush a moustache like Hitler's (on pictures).
You're not even American. Don't overconcern yourself with who we elect our President. And people need to quit with the "OMG Bush got re-elected, every country in the world is going to die now" attitudes. Get real.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:18 AM   #30
marry rich people

Quote:
sad kerry lost, i'm mad about it but not like scary mad. though every time my friend says "4 more years" and i add "of crap". pisses me off that some people make their decision just based on the abortion position of a party, or gay marriages. most the kids in my school do that, they dont factor in health care plans or taxes, or espeically the war and the facts about the war.
Couldn't agree more. I hate when people do that. They think "Oh, tax cuts. Why wouldn't you want those?" and they just vote without thinking about any of the other ideas the candidate has. Also pisses me off when people vote for the party and not the person. The parties are so general that you never know what each candidate is going to do. Another annoyance I have (probably the biggest one) is when people vote for someone because they are "better off than they were 4 years ago" or whatever. People need to look at the nation and world as a whole and vote based on that. I don't care if you're Republican or Democrat or what but that's just self-centered.
For a change, for a change
Thats ok, ok, ok
marry rich people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:41 AM   Senior Registered Member #31
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
You're not even American. Don't overconcern yourself with who we elect our President. And people need to quit with the "OMG Bush got re-elected, every country in the world is going to die now" attitudes. Get real.
Seriously. Everyone seems to think now that Bush has been re-elected he's going to do all sorts of ridiculous things. People think that he's just going to fuck everything up, but I think they should get real, as you said. Like everyone would just sit back and watch him destroy America without doing anything. For most of us, this won't affect us in the least.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:28 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #32
Liam
Bogan Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan
No, thats right. I'm concerned about it because our country, along with a number of others, tends to trapes around after yours. Believe it or not, the result of the election *does* concern other countries.

Either way, 25% turnout is shit, no matter which light you look at it in. Hasselbrad seems to have been the only one who understood my first post.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:36 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #33
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
It was obvious CA was going to Kerry (55 electoral votes at stake). Because if CA wasn't going to Kerry, people wouldn't have been so skeptical about the potential outcome. I should not speak against Haz, he probably knows way more about US politics than the average American. But anyway, just wanted to point that out .
Bastard

Actually I wonder how tight it was...because CA is usually a HEARTLAND Democrat state but I'm not so sure these days. I mean Kelsey backed Bush, if memory serves...and she can't be the only one...and Arnie got the job as Governor...is CA becoming more conservative (well the rest of the US is)? And yes, I do think the rest of the US is...proof? Bush SCRAPED the last election and he was standing as a moderate conservative. This time round he stood as a HARDCORE conservative...with his views on abortion, gay marriage etc all widely reported...and he STILL won by...and get this...a BIGGER MARGIN. He actually won the popular vote this time...so that must spell a trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam

I cannot agree more with everything he said...I just felt it was so right it deserved repeating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeni
That's because most people your age are retarded. I mean sheesh...all this equating Bush with Hitler...whether you agree with his policies or not...ffs...Bush isn't a genocidal dictator. If he's extreme it's because he believes most of America is too...and that gives him license to be free in expressing his views (and he's as entitled as anyone to hold and express those views)...and given his mandate he has every right to think that he's merely representing most Americans. I mean if Kerry had won I very much doubt people would be as extremist in their hatred of him...largely as the man engenders NO passionate response one way or the other. This was largely an election between Bush and the Anti-Bush... Kerry? Who's he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby
I think Nick lives in Oregon. Ahnuld is guv'ner of California.
True story.

Quote:
And about the electoral college; methinks it's not necessary. It was created when people weren't educated about political candidates because of the lack of technology. Now with the the internet, television, and everything else, it's safe to say everyone hears enough about the candidates to make a proper, fair decision.
Couldn't agree more. I mean the idea is that the EC is supposed to ensure no tyranny of the majority...but c'mon...the alternative is a president who gets less than his opponent (as Bush did last time) which is just bonkers. I don't think that Presidents should need more than 50%, but they should at least need more votes than their opponent (for those too slow to understand...it was possible, but unlikely, that, for example, Nader could've gotten 3%...with Bush getting 49% and Kerry 48%...that would at least be better than a situation where a president gets less than his nearest rival but wins).

Quote:
I'm gonna miss the laughs we had, John Kerry. And the way you'd keep me warm with your voice. Jacoby report-re-*sniffles* reporting...for...duty.
Heh...the draft jokes aren't funny anymore...I'm willing to bet there will NOT be a draft. Bush'll probably get Blair to send in more British troops before he does a draft (and the cunting thing is Blair'll probably agree...but it's all in a good cause at least).
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:41 AM   Senior Registered Member #34
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Heh...the draft jokes aren't funny anymore...I'm willing to bet there will NOT be a draft. Bush'll probably get Blair to send in more British troops before he does a draft (and the cunting thing is Blair'll probably agree...but it's all in a good cause at least).
Kerry used to say "Reporting for duty" all the time. I was mocking that. Geez.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:45 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #35
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Kerry used to say "Reporting for duty" all the time. I was mocking that. Geez.
I know...at least as far as I understood it that was Kerry's way of making a snide comment about the draft...but maybe I credit him with more intelligence than he has (personally...I think he DID mean it that way...and it's clever politics )
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:16 AM   Senior Registered Member #36
Elijahfan

jacoby brought up a good point "For most of us, this won't affect us in the least" but i the truth is that it does...the policies that the president helps state with the senate,congress, cabinet, etc. do affect people. health care, taxes, the price of gas. of course i mean this in general,for both parties, not just bush's policies and decisions.

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:10 AM   Senior Registered Member #37
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
I'm glad that Bush won. Kerry's a dumbass.
I'm not meaning to start a war... but that's just... made me speechless. Probably a good thing at this point...

And I'd think the reporting for duty would be, if it even was a snide comment, a comment on how he actually went to war.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:53 AM   Officer #38
Mags
Officer

Quote:
For most of us, this won't affect us in the least.
I'm a woman, I'm pro-choice, so Bush's second term could affect me a GREAT deal.

It has been estimated that during the next 4 years, we could have to confirm up to 4 more justices to the Supreme Court. With the ailing health of Chief Justice Rehnquist, there will soon be an immediate need for a new Supreme Court Justice. It is quite likely that the Bush administration will seek to name incredibly conservative candidates. With the current conservative justices, the Supreme Court would likely become a conservative powerhouse. Once they have a majority, it's likely that they will seek to reverse current rulings on issues like abortion. And since the Republicans now have a majority in the House and the Senate, it's likely the candidates would be confirmed. This is a very real issue, which could concievably have ramifications for the next 40 years as justices are appointed for life.

And I'm not gay, but I don't...I don't understand, on any level, what allowing gay marriage does to somehow threaten marriage between a man and a woman. Bush campaigned on that issue, and it is incredibly likely his administration (I'm not going to make the mistake of assuming that Bush has all that much to do with policy decisions) will seek to fulfill that as a way to complete campaign promises.

I find health care to be a huge issue as well. I'm not suggesting nationalized health care. I'm really not. But something needs to be done. The way things are set up now, it is...so difficult to get by on the prescriptions needed with the money available as a senior citizen. It's...so difficult. And making health care and prescriptions more available and affordable is incredibly important to me. The...current legislation being suggested that outlaws getting cheaper prescriptions from Canada...is ridiculous. It's one way our citizens can get affordable medicine, and if it weren't taking profits away from huge drug companies that support so many members of Congress, it wouldn't be this big an issue. We could perhaps *gasp* even negotiate trade that would still allow us to get cheaper medicines and offer them at a lower cost to US citizens.

I don't care as much about foreign issues. I know it's a big deal, and I know that the United States is in a position of power to influence several other countries. But I'm much more concerned about the situation here. We...claim to have gone to this country to make it free...to remove a dictatorial despot. But...if our civil liberties at home are disappearing, if people can't afford the medicine they need...what the fuck are we fighting for? We're trying to...or claiming to...set this example of what a powerful country should do. But we're not taking care of our own citizens. And that pisses me off. If it means we have to become isolationist again to get this done, that's fine with me. Lets get it done.

Edit:
I remembered something else. I was riding in a cab this morning and the driver was listening to this conservative talk radio show. Which I didn't want to listen to, but whatever. Anyway, this guy calls in and says "It's freedom. I can do whatever I want. That's what being American is all about"
And I seriously wanted to throw up. That's just...so wrong. Being born in America does NOT give you carte blanche to do whateverthefuck you want. If you want to be a worthwhile symbol of America, how bout you actually respect the rest of the world and don't assume that your birthplace gives you the right to be a shithead fucktard.
Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:04 AM   Senior Registered Member #39
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Edit:
I remembered something else. I was riding in a cab this morning and the driver was listening to this conservative talk radio show. Which I didn't want to listen to, but whatever. Anyway, this guy calls in and says "It's freedom. I can do whatever I want. That's what being American is all about"
And I seriously wanted to throw up. That's just...so wrong. Being born in America does NOT give you carte blanche to do whateverthefuck you want. If you want to be a worthwhile symbol of America, how bout you actually respect the rest of the world and don't assume that your birthplace gives you the right to be a shithead fucktard.
Sounds like someone that Ann Coulter would talk to. God she's terrible.

But you're absolutely correct. If everyone felt the way this guy did then the American symbol would be the drunk fat redneck sitting in his double wide with a 6er of Blue Ribbon.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:47 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #40
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Liam, are you sure about that 25% figure, it doesn't quite ring true.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote