The Wicker Man - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 31-10-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
The Black Rider

The Wicker Man

In the spirit of Halloween, I thought I'd start a thread about this excellent little film starring Edward Woodward, Britt Ekland, and Christopher Lee.

It's a horror film, but not in the way that something like The Exorcist or Nightmare on Elm St. is considered horror. It's about a cop (Woodward) who visits a remote Scottish island to investigate the disappearance of a little girl. Woodward is a Christian fundamentalist, and he is absolutely appalled to discover that the island is a Pagan island.

I won't tell you anymore, except that the film has an incredible surprise ending that I really didn't see coming. It was made in the early 70s, so a lot of it somewhat cheesy in retrospect, but the ideas explored in the film are still as valid as ever, I think. A must-see this Halloween, and please, anyone who's seen it, share your opinions on the picture (Avoid the 88-min. version, though).

Plus, it features an au naturelle dance scene with Britt Ekland and it is wonderful, if you know what I mean.
Old 31-10-2004, 03:38 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
Spire
InSpire Me

That is a super creepy movie. If you can find it, watch it. One of Christopher Lee's best movies.
Old 31-10-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
The Black Rider

The only problem with Britt Ekland is that she's a terrible actress, and it doesn't help that she's Scandinavian, so watching her try to do a Scottish accent is slightly embarrassing. Also, one would think a model/future Bond girl would stick out in a remote Scottish island like a sore thumb.

Don't forget, however, that they accidentally buried the negatives in the M3 so the extended version, put together from an analog tape that Roger Corman happened to have, is of extremely poor quality.

Too bad it's the best version of the movie.
Old 31-10-2004, 02:39 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
Richard
Dated

This movie was #45 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments. I remember not being particularly interested when it came up... but so far it's getting high remarks...

Like When A Stranger Calls, I'll be on the look-out for this one.

EDIT : I just added Wicker Man to my queue on Netflix. I should get it by the middle of next week. If this movie sucks, I'm gonna kick somebody's ass.

Last edited by Richard; 31-10-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:08 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Classic movie. I wouldn't call it a horror, more of a psychological thriller (surprisingly I agree with Fox on something ). And Britt Ekland...it's a shame she can't act as she's easily one of the most beautiful women to ever grace the planet.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:57 AM   #6
Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
A cool little Halloween Movie

http://www.micalclark.com/Halloween.mov
That was retarted...
"You know that with-holding evidence from a federal officer is a serious crime. Especially when that officer has paid handsomely for that evidence, and wouldn't think twice of ripping that patch off your eyehole and skull fucking you to death."
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #7
The Black Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
And Britt Ekland...it's a shame she can't act as she's easily one of the most beautiful women to ever grace the planet.
Agreed.

Just to correct an error made earlier (sorry if I sound uptight), Shepperton Studios released The Wicker Man and not Hammer Film Productions. But speaking of Hammer, did you people know that Peter Cushing was the original choice to play Sergeant Howie? Cushing had other commitments, though.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:05 PM   Senior Registered Member #8
Richard
Dated

Yes, I'm bumping. But I've taken the liberty of renting (the 88 minute version!) of this film and was very satisfied. I'm glad to know all of you are calling this a psychological thriller, it's one of my favorites now.

I went out on a limb to check out what's so special about this film Rider and Haz spoke so fondly of, and I can finally see the beauty of it all. This movie easily gets the viewers involved, and the climax was absolutely shocking. I admit to not being an avid watcher of Christopher Lee, but his performance is amazing, as is Edward Woodward, especially his.

It's a fantastic movie. I thought I was going to be lost starting from the first frame, but I wasn't, I was very curious. The music gave me a good sense of The Graduate, and everything was just done with brilliant filmmaking. Underrated, very underrated.

Last edited by Richard; 11-11-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
The Black Rider

Glad you enjoyed it.

Did you know they were going to do an American remake of this a couple of years ago? It was to be directed by Neil LaBute and was going to star Nicolas Cage as Sgt. Howie. Glad that fell through. Two of the most inept "talents" in Hollywood desecrating a classic isn't something I can tolerate.