The truth about "witches" - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2004, 08:46 AM   #1
Nick
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oregon, U.S.A.
Posts: 164
The truth about "witches"

Halloween is coming up so I figured I'd set some things straight. There are of course all sorts of crazy urban legends out there about children being abducted and sacrificed by "Satanist witches". This is so totally blown out of proportion. For one thing there is no such thing as a "Satanist witch", Satanism and witchcraft are two completely different religions.
The reason witchcraft is confused with Satanism goes back to the Middle Ages when the Catholic Church decided to burn people at the stake who were still practicing their old pagan religions. In order to get the cooperation of the general public they told people that the pagans were worshipping Satan, when in reality the pagans (Celts, Picts, Gauls, etc.) didn't even believe in Satan. They were simply performing their traditional ceremonies.
Alas the majority of the public believed what the Church told them and they labeled the pagans Satanists simply because the Church felt threatened. After all they couldn't allow people to practice whatever religion they wanted because that would mean the Church would lose its iron grip on Europe.
The religion of "Satanism" wasn't even created until the 1960's and it was only created by people who basically were just being rebellious and thought they'd really stick it to the "institution" if they labeled themsleves "Satanists".
Witchcraft however is different, it is practiced by people who call themselves Wicca's. They simply just take beliefs from some of the ancient European tribes such as Celts, Gauls, and even Norse mythology and combine them together.
So just remember when you here people talking about "witches" taking children away there is really very little threat. I've met a couple of people who claim to be witches and as strange as they may be, they are really pretty much harmless. Of course I'm sure there are a select few who might be totally insane but you have zealots in every religion, even Christianity. Hence the reason religion is absurd.

I'm sure some of the conservative fundamentalists in here will label me a Satanist now but oh well. :icon_twis Happy Halloween!
__________________
Religion is Myth-information.
All religions contain some truth but no religion contains all truth.

"Banish me from eden if you will,
but first let me eat of the fruit of knowledge."
~Col. Robert Green Ingersoll
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 08:53 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
Ooo I'm scared. The bucktoothed witch is gonna kill me!!! *screams* Happy Halloween to you Americans.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 09:07 AM   Senior Registered Member #3
PhoeniX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: England
Posts: 391
I think one of my elder sisters is a witch, she goes to stonehenge and makes wands out of pieces of yew tree and cuts her wrist and burns it to make magic wands. But I think shes stopping that now
PhoeniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
Nick
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oregon, U.S.A.
Posts: 164
You poor Australians are so deprived. Halloween is the greatest holiday ever. You get to play practical jokes on people and scare the shit out of little kids and steal their candy. Not to mention there's lots of partying :icon_guin . How much more fun can a holiday be?

Quote:
I think one of my elder sisters is a witch, she goes to stonehenge and makes wands out of pieces of yew tree and cuts her wrist and burns it to make magic wands. But I think shes stopping that now
I heard they'd blocked stonehenge off so you can only view it from a distance because people kept vandalizing it, but I could be wrong considering I live about 10,000 miles away.
As for your sister being a witch I'm sure it's just a phase. I've never really gone through that phase myself but I know a lot of teenagers and young adults do go through that whole "gothic" phase.
__________________
Religion is Myth-information.
All religions contain some truth but no religion contains all truth.

"Banish me from eden if you will,
but first let me eat of the fruit of knowledge."
~Col. Robert Green Ingersoll
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 09:25 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #5
Liam
Bogan Elite
 
Liam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,446
Deprived? I call it lucky.
__________________
The greatest delight is to mark one's enemy, prepare everything, avenge oneself thoroughly, and then go to sleep.
-Stalin
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 09:31 AM   Senior Registered Member #6
PhoeniX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: England
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick


As for your sister being a witch I'm sure it's just a phase. I've never really gone through that phase myself but I know a lot of teenagers and young adults do go through that whole "gothic" phase.

I hope so
PhoeniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
LoveKeria
Member
 
LoveKeria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 94
Ok, just for your information, not all witches are "goths". In fact, hardly any of them are. I know this from having many friends and family that are witches. Once apon a time I went to wiccan meetings, i still go occationally, anyway, the people there are so nice, and only one or two of them you would call "goth". [Usually about 10-12 people there] Also, my aunty on my mothers side is a witch, and she is one of the nicest, most beautiful people i know. My aunty is in NO sence of the word a "goth", she is so far from it. She works in an environmentalist place, i can't remember exaclty what but she is very environment focused and not at all "goth". So you saying that witches are goths is completely false as a generalisation. Also, being a witch is not a phase. It can be for some people, but it's not like a desease you get over. And Bellum, as for your sister who was cutting herself a stonehenge. Ask any real wiccan, or witch wether or not they endorse this practice, and i assure you they will not. Wiccan, and witches alike, so not endorse harm of anything or anyone, this is a myth, feed to you by the church. I have been around witches majority of my life, they are caring people who would not hurt you.

Get your facts strait people.

If your going to generalise do it this way, we know theyre are always bad seeds, but saying that everyone is that way is just rediculus.

As for what Nick was saying - hes right...Satanism and Witchcraft or Wiccancraft, are two COMPLETELY different things.
__________________
I am your Lolita...
Your Little Nymphette....
Adah Potter
AKA LoveKeria
LoveKeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 12:09 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #8
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen
 
hasselbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sugar Hill, GA... finally! Civilization!
Posts: 4,590
Hmmm...hadn't really seen anything about witches and satanists abducting kids. Mostly it's scummy 50 year old men with stringy ponytails driving white, two door Cadillacs. (Actually taken from today's news on the radio)
Witches aren't scary. They're kind of funny.
__________________
"Purgatory's kind of like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really shit, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham."
I'll try being nicer...if you'll try being smarter.
hasselbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
LoveKeria
Member
 
LoveKeria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad
Hmmm...hadn't really seen anything about witches and satanists abducting kids. Mostly it's scummy 50 year old men with stringy ponytails driving white, two door Cadillacs. (Actually taken from today's news on the radio)
Witches aren't scary. They're kind of funny.
Scummy 50 year old men? I dont know any 50 year old men that are witches, you must be thinking of the mormans.
__________________
I am your Lolita...
Your Little Nymphette....
Adah Potter
AKA LoveKeria
LoveKeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 03:23 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #10
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen
 
hasselbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sugar Hill, GA... finally! Civilization!
Posts: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKeria
Scummy 50 year old men? I dont know any 50 year old men that are witches, you must be thinking of the mormans.
Umm, yeah...my point was that witches aren't blamed for abductions...or at least that I haven't heard the urban legends of which Nick speaks.
Waking up in a tub of ice missing kidneys...yes.
Satanic witches abducting kids for sacrifice...not so much.
__________________
"Purgatory's kind of like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really shit, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham."
I'll try being nicer...if you'll try being smarter.
hasselbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 05:07 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
Ardnax
Sexy kitten
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 645
I'm a witch myself and there is nothing scary about me. I'm not a satanist and I don't sacrifise children. Basicly I'm a child myself.
Ardnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 09:19 PM   #12
LoveKeria
Member
 
LoveKeria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 94
hasselbrad: Then i missunderstood you, sorry. But, Witches dont do the bath of ice wake up without your kindneys stunt ether. Sorry.

Ardnax: What kinda of witch are you? I mean like, Alexandrian, garenderian, eclectic, summeric, you all all of those...
__________________
I am your Lolita...
Your Little Nymphette....
Adah Potter
AKA LoveKeria
LoveKeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 09:29 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #13
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen
 
hasselbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sugar Hill, GA... finally! Civilization!
Posts: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveKeria
hasselbrad: Then i missunderstood you, sorry. But, Witches dont do the bath of ice wake up without your kindneys stunt ether. Sorry.

Ardnax: What kinda of witch are you? I mean like, Alexandrian, garenderian, eclectic, summeric, you all all of those...
Yeah...I can be rather unclear at times. I've been hit in the head. A lot.
I was just saying how I hadn't heard of the "witches nabbing kids" urban legend.
How dare you read what I write and not what I think.
__________________
"Purgatory's kind of like the in-betweeny one. You weren't really shit, but you weren't all that great either. Like Tottenham."
I'll try being nicer...if you'll try being smarter.
hasselbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 10:54 PM   #14
Bait
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: CA/NYC
Posts: 277
2 years ago i went bag stealing before we left for a party, well...i got caught and they called the cops the cop picked me and my friend up and made us give his candy back and laughed...such bullshit :\
Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 11:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
frodo1511
Pin Dick
 
frodo1511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,400
Well, I've read the Crucible/We Aren't Superstisious, does that count?
__________________
Believe...
frodo1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 03:51 AM   Senior Registered Member #16
Elijahfan
Senior Member
 
Elijahfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minnesota USA
Posts: 303
yeah i hate the whole crap of how most of the population is not educated about halloween or any holiday for that matter. but halloween is the best, i try not to think about the whole christian & pagan element behind it, and more as a FREE CANDY day where every child can join in!

going as God this year, got me my name tag that says "hello my name is" fill in the blank! super excited.
__________________
Frank Miller's Sin City... "walk down the right back alley in Sin City and you can find anything" 4.1.05

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 08:31 AM   Senior Registered Member #17
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
I'm a witch myself and there is nothing scary about me. I'm not a satanist and I don't sacrifise children. Basicly I'm a child myself.
Woah, 14 year old witches? *wonders if he's a warlock by any chance*
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 09:02 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #18
Liam
Bogan Elite
 
Liam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,446
Looks like Jet has developed a crush.
__________________
The greatest delight is to mark one's enemy, prepare everything, avenge oneself thoroughly, and then go to sleep.
-Stalin
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 09:21 AM   Senior Registered Member #19
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist
 
deviljet88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,814
Pfft. No. I just find it strange to find someone young to believe they're a witch at such an early stage. Seems like a childhood fantasy to me, but hey, might not be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardnax
Don't listen to Jet, he's mean to everybody.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #20
Nick
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oregon, U.S.A.
Posts: 164
Quote:
Ok, just for your information, not all witches are "goths". In fact, hardly any of them are. I know this from having many friends and family that are witches. Once apon a time I went to wiccan meetings, i still go occationally, anyway, the people there are so nice, and only one or two of them you would call "goth". [Usually about 10-12 people there] Also, my aunty on my mothers side is a witch, and she is one of the nicest, most beautiful people i know. My aunty is in NO sence of the word a "goth", she is so far from it. She works in an environmentalist place, i can't remember exaclty what but she is very environment focused and not at all "goth". So you saying that witches are goths is completely false as a generalisation. Also, being a witch is not a phase. It can be for some people, but it's not like a desease you get over. And Bellum, as for your sister who was cutting herself a stonehenge. Ask any real wiccan, or witch wether or not they endorse this practice, and i assure you they will not. Wiccan, and witches alike, so not endorse harm of anything or anyone, this is a myth, feed to you by the church. I have been around witches majority of my life, they are caring people who would not hurt you.
I was not saying that all witches are goths. All I was trying to say is that a lot of teenagers and young adults these days do go through the whole gothic phase and many of them dabble in witchcraft a little and for those people it is just a phase, but you're right not all witches are gothic. I've been to one wiccan meeting before and many of them were pretty much just ordinary people and they considered Wicca a way of life not just a phase. So I'm sorry, I didn't mean insult you or your family.
__________________
Religion is Myth-information.
All religions contain some truth but no religion contains all truth.

"Banish me from eden if you will,
but first let me eat of the fruit of knowledge."
~Col. Robert Green Ingersoll
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.