Bands Your Dad Used to Listen To - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 25-08-2008, 09:21 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #1
Leonie
Elle

Bands Your Dad Used to Listen To

I know there are a gazillion music threads on here, but I'm sleeping with (one of) the boss(es) so you can all get stuffed.

I recently purchased Alchemy, the first live album by the Dire Straits, and now I want to be Mark Knopfler when I grow up. My dad used to be quite the Straits fan, so I've been subjected to them all my life. They were part of many a holiday mix tape (I feel old).

Which bands are you happy to listen to voluntarily after having been exposed during your innocent years?

If you had to nominate one song and one album that you'd like to thank your dad for, which would it be?

Song: Simple Minds' Mandela Day
Album: Dire Straits' Money for Nothing

Honourable mentions: Supertramp, Pink Floyd, and I will never tire of the Scorpions' Wind of Change. I'm pretty sure I sang along to that when I was four in my own little make believe English.

Last edited by Leonie; 25-08-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Leonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 09:27 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #2
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

The soundtrack of my youth was mostly jazz and classical. The one album that really sticks with me is Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 11:08 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #3
Mandy
Honourary Brit

All I remember my dad listening to was Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, and Men at work.

Eric Clapton-Change the world is the song I remember most, and I LOVE that song. And tears in heaven.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 05:20 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #4
Liam
Bogan Elite

Layla is win.
Old 26-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Joly

As a kid I was subjected to the odd combination of Lemon Jelly, Hexstatic, Ian Dury & The Blockheads and Divine Comedy by my Dad.
All of which, strangely, I still love.
Joly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 01:08 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #6
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Ray Charles (incomparable), Frank Sinatra (My Way gives me chills), Bobby Darin, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I used to lay in front of the 8 Track... yes, the 8 Track... and play this...

... over and over just by hitting one button. I think it may explain my affinity for horns in other types of music.
Old 27-08-2008, 09:16 PM   Officer #7
Renegade
Stock Boy

Beatles and Beach Boys!
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Joly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
Ray Charles (incomparable), Frank Sinatra (My Way gives me chills), Bobby Darin, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.
And you're American!? THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!
Old 30-08-2008, 03:46 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #9
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I have vivid memories of driving in the car with my dad singing Garth Brooks at the top of my lungs. I think I knew every word to that (I guess it was a cassette then) by the time I was five or six.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula View Post
The soundtrack of my youth was mostly jazz and classical. The one album that really sticks with me is Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.
Try "Sketches of Spain"

Sketches is what made him famous and just about everything that came after was derivative. I always got the impression that He was an Angry Old Man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I should tell you some of mine? Actually I can't remember any of my fathers musical choices. I remember listening to "The Lucky Strike Hit Parade" and Snooky Lanson (?) "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window"...

But, because I'm now officially an old guy, Let me name a couple that you missed...

"The Wall"

"Bat Out Of Hell"

Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" which was just reissued in a 20th Anniversary edition.

And just damn near anything by Pat Benatar or Linda Ronstadt.

And Anything by that Lubbock Kid that used to play on the Roswell Radio Station when I was 13. He started the dancing. Buddy Holly & the Crickets.

After that came that Christian Rock guy... Elvis "Whats his name..." He really messed up his life later on. But he did sing a whole bunch of Otis Blackwell songs that made him real famous. There were a couple other guys that sort of specialized in singing Otis Blackwell songs... Jerry Lee Lewis & Roy Orbison. Of course none of them ever admitted it. Back then it would have ended their career to admit that their Rock and Roll music actually was written by a Black man in New York City. People used to whisper that about Elvis, but nobody really believed those rumors. And nobody ever thought that same New York Black guy could have written "Great Balls of Fire" for Jerry Lee Lewis.

Quote:
Otis Blackwell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Otis Blackwell Also known as John Davenport
Born February 16, 1931
Origin Brooklyn, New York, USA
Died May 6, 2002 (aged 71) Nashville, Tennessee
Genre(s) East Coast Blues, Rock & Roll, R&B
Occupation(s) Singer, Pianist, Songwriter
Instrument(s) Piano
Years active 1950s - 2002
Label(s) RCA, Groove, Atlantic

Otis Blackwell (16 February 1931 6 May 2002) was an American songwriter, singer, and pianist whose work significantly influenced rock 'n' roll. His compositions include Little Willie John's "Fever", Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire" and "Breathless", Elvis Presley's "Don't Be Cruel", "All Shook Up" and "Return to Sender" (with Winfield Scott), and Jimmy Jones' "Handy Man".

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"

Last edited by dave; 01-09-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: To add more artists
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:28 AM   Senior Registered Member #11
Richard
Dated

My dad was born in '52. He listened to everything that was considered popular then, which is today playing on K-Earth 101.1 -- our local oldies station for those here on the west coast.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #12
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joly View Post
And you're American!? THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!
Eh? My dad was born in 1939. He graduated high school in 1957. This is the music that I grew up listening to because it was what was on in the house/car when I was young.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Joly

Sorry brad, I was being sarcastic - I thought it was kind of funny that all your childhood music consisted of American male singers.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joly View Post
Sorry brad, I was being sarcastic - I thought it was kind of funny that all your childhood music consisted of American male singers.
Marianne Faithfull is hard to forget.

Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon (who I am still having a secret affair with these days, but then I'm so Vain...) Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Judy Collins. ... Ann Margret (She was Elvis's girl in "Viva Las Vegas, the cherry in the whipped cream pie on Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass's best Album, and she married James Bond, I certainly remember her, It's not always just the singing.), Peggy Lee (Fever by Otis Blackwood), Brenda Lee, (The Queen of New Orleans), Miss Judy Henski (High Flying Bird or The Salvation Army Song in Full Tilt Boogie Style), Speaking of Full Tilt Boogie,... Janice Joplin, Edith Piaf, Julie London, June Carter Cash and her whole Family, (especially her little sister Carlene Carter.) Kate Wolf, Loretta, Dolly, Tammy and Patsy Cline, Maria Muldaur and Buffy Saint-Marie, Melanie Safka (I've got a brand new pair of roller-skates, You've got a brand new key...) Nanci Griffith even Nancy Sinatra (who once put on her thigh high boots and walked out on me... "Are you ready boots? Start Walkin..."), Nicolette Larson, Nina Simone, Sandy Denny, Sarah Vaughan (with and without Quincy Jones "Broken Hearted Melody"), Sylvia Tyson, Teresa Brewer, Tina Turner, Vikki Carr, Carole King

And that's just from a cursory look at my memories.

And to balance that, there's a new reissue of some old Hoyt Axton, nothing new from Bob Dylan or Theodore Bikel, but I chased down a copy of Shel Silverstein's "I'm So Good That I Don't Have To Brag"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlbumArt.jpg (25.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg BackCover.jpg (41.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ann_margret_gallery_main_4.jpg (49.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Album Art.jpg (39.7 KB, 41 views)

"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
dave is offline   Reply With Quote