Hello! Long Time Vistor, First Time Poster. - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Forum Guidelines / Newcomers > Newcomers Forum

Newcomers Forum New to the forums? Come and introduce yourself here, we can help you out with any questions you may have and say hello.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #21
Mandy
Honourary Brit

For a long time visitor, you should probably know a little how some of us behave. Most of it is in jest though. It's the way our minds work sometimes, not sure why.

Welcome! I haven't read your reviews yet, but it's possible that I get put off by reading other peoples' sites when they are constantly posting about it.

Maybe I'll get around to it! ttfn.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #22
TheAnswerMVP2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijo View Post
Tarantino has ADD. I believe he peaked with Pulp Fiction, and knows it...and has been having a good time ever since. Seeing as how I'm also a bit of a scatterbrain, I enjoy his films. Tarantino fans are quirky and most probably don't give a shit about the screw loose in their brains.

<I'm holding up a peace sign>Where were you educated and did you do any film studies courses? I prefer to know whether or not I'm reading the opinions of an informed individual...
I took a couple film classes in college for an easy A and some easy credits for my General Education, but other than that nothing more. I'm not basing my reviews on technical aspects of how a film is made, I'm basing my reviews on bare common sense (hence the name). Movie reviews are for the most part purely opinions, if I was basing them of how the actual movie was made, directed, created, etc, I could see where film education might be important.

Mainly I write my reviews as a creative outlet, I'm relatively decent at it, and have found enjoyment in. Personally I've found reviews written by the average individual, who isn't a professional film critic, to be a lot more informative than Richard Roeper telling me to go watch some incredibly boring independent film. I think sometimes a critics education in film tends to get in the way of what the average viewer is essentially looking for... an enjoyable film. I'll watch the occasional independent movie every once in a while if it strikes my fancy but I mainly watch movies for the enjoyment, not to appreciate them for some technical aspect, which I think the majority of people do as well.

So in a nutshell I breakout what I like and dislike and you make you're own decision about whether it's something you might want to see. It's common sense, a lot of people seem to need to be educated in that, some don't.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #23
TheAnswerMVP2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
For a long time visitor, you should probably know a little how some of us behave. Most of it is in jest though. It's the way our minds work sometimes, not sure why.
Maybe you missed this when I said it the first time, but I've been a long time vistor to the main site, I've only ventured into the forums in the past few days.

Quote:
Welcome! I haven't read your reviews yet, but it's possible that I get put off by reading other peoples' sites when they are constantly posting about it.
Understand that, which is why I've limited posting anything about it in this thread, and in the movie thread in the O/T section. I didn't see any issue with posting a link to my review when I'm posting what I recently watched, it adds a little extra for those who might be interested in watching the same film as well.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #24
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
<I'm holding up a peace sign>Where were you educated and did you do any film studies courses? I prefer to know whether or not I'm reading the opinions of an informed individual...
Pfff. I call snob.

Peace sign or not :P
Old 11-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #25
Mijo
Tight in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswerMVP2001 View Post
I'm relatively decent at it
Disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie View Post
Pfff. I call snob.
Do snobs slob on knobs?
Mijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:04 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #26
Leonie
Elle

I'd say you'd know better than me.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:20 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #27
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Quote:
Maybe you missed this when I said it the first time, but I've been a long time vistor to the main site, I've only ventured into the forums in the past few days.
Ahhh got it. It was the impression I got from the title. I'm bad at reading actual posts. I skim, really.

Quote:
I didn't see any issue with posting a link to my review when I'm posting what I recently watched, it adds a little extra for those who might be interested in watching the same film as well.
It's fine, but since you have it in your signature, I don't see a big reason to link it so much. Could be misconstrued as advertising. :-)
Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 PM   Senior Registered Member #28
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

Quote:
Pfff. I call snob.

Peace sign or not :P
what?

Quote:
Disagree.
don't be a jackass, hun.

Quote:
Do snobs slob on knobs?
I repeat myself: what?

Me no comprende
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #29
Mijo
Tight in the Pants

Quote:
I'd say you'd know better than me.
You're right. I do know better than you.

Quote:
Could be misconstrued as advertising.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain_Doll View Post
I repeat myself: what? Me no comprende
It could have something to do with multi-quoting or not having read posts on the previous page. No me importa
Old 12-08-2008, 03:58 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #30
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Quote:
You're right. I do know better than you.
I understand that you want to come off as cunning, clever, and witty. But right now, you're just being a cunt. I love you, but no.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:13 AM   #31
Mijo
Tight in the Pants

I'm a snob and a cunt--I'll tone it down then.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM   Senior Registered Member #32
Porcelain_Doll

Quote:
I understand that you want to come off as cunning, clever, and witty. But right now, you're just being a cunt. I love you, but no.
A cunt? Your standards seem somewhat low...he's a plain ol' jerk to me.

Quote:
It could have something to do with multi-quoting or not having read posts on the previous page. No me importa
It was probably because the only version of "snob" I know is when referring to a stuck up person, and it didn't make much sense with what she said..maybe Elle was reffering to another meaning I don't know.
And your "I don't care :mean little face:" was incredibly childish, btw.
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

my blog

Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #33
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Right, I think we all need to take two steps backwards and hug ourselves.

He's already said he's going to back off. It wasn't as good as an apology, but it'll have to do for now.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM   Senior Registered Member #34
Porcelain_Doll

*nods* Maybe I'll change my title to "The Constant Claw Sharpener" :P

my blog

Old 13-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #35
TheAnswerMVP2001

Quote:
Disagree.
That's actually more than fine, if you agreed with me on anything, I'd be worried about my own sanity.
Old 13-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #36
Mijo
Tight in the Pants

I can't believe you think 'jerk' is worse than 'cunt.' I didn't apologize because I don't think what I said to Leonie was all that offensive--seeing as how it was said in jest. However, I was stung by Mandy's comment--I believe she was just tired of my antagonism in general...and for that, I apologize.

FYI-Leonie called me a snob because I asked MVP for his educational credentials, and that does make me a bit of snob--but really, I'm glad I did ask him, because I'd rather not read movie reviews written by someone who took "a couple of film studies courses to get an easy 'A.'" The wording alone shows a lack of appreciation for the artistic medium. Furthermore, his rhetoric about film criticism from an educated stand point lacking in 'common sense' is completely flawed--I'm not going to take the opinion of a 5 year old that Delacroix was a better painter than Monet, simply because her opinion seems to be common sense. At this point, I don't mean to attack MVP personally, but my opinion, from the 3 reviews I've read, is that his reviews are not common sense, they are simply common; and furthermore, they are more a disgorgement of plot than a criticism.

I began being a cunt to him because I genuinely believe he is only here to advertise his blog...and this bores me.

Yes, the 'I don't care' was childish--I behave childishly when bored, so sorry if my childish drunken comment offended you.
Old 13-08-2008, 06:19 AM   #37
jukebox81782
Newcomer

I'm new, too!

Hello all...

nothing like a night full of fighting w/people I don't know about things I could care less about to send me over the edge to happyland.

I can't wait!!
jukebox81782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #38
Hollysince1985

Quote:
I'm a snob and a cunt--I'll tone it down then.

Thanks.
I think it's time to go Boston Tea party up in here.

Mijo:
You should not have to apologize to these humorless, deluded, and narcissistic twats. If they can't take the heat, they should get the fuck out of the forum.

Mandy:
Calling Mijo a cunt because he is talented at stressing a point is completely uncalled for. His gifted way with words and grammar really shake up this place, and not to mention, he adds the spice to this bland party dip of Keira loving.

And spare me the private note about censorship. I'm a US Constitution die-hard and I practice my rights passionately. If you really want to be helpful, then turn the sirens off. Policing the forums really turns this place into a dreadfully boring and creativity stifling cyberHELL.

Fuck da police!

Everyone:
I understand that we're all unhappy, portly overeaters with no social life outside of the KKW, but we shouldn't be taking our frustrations out on one another. Unite--or go eat a Twinkie!

May peace be restored.
Old 13-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #39
jukebox81782
Newcomer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysince1985 View Post
he adds the spice to this bland party dip of Keira loving.
More like the bean-dip...hAh!!

Quote:
Unite--or go eat a Twinkie!
Good idea. I'm hella craving something cream-filled!
jukebox81782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 08:47 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #40
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
I think it's time to go Boston Tea party up in here.

Mijo:
You should not have to apologize to these humorless, deluded, and narcissistic twats. If they can't take the heat, they should get the fuck out of the forum.

Mandy:
Calling Mijo a cunt because he is talented at stressing a point is completely uncalled for. His gifted way with words and grammar really shake up this place, and not to mention, he adds the spice to this bland party dip of Keira loving.
I think you'll find that the moderators and admins (i.e. Mandy) make the rules, whether they agree with your constitution or not. As the Zeus of KKW, Barrington, puts it:

"5. Respect the decisions and recommendations of the forum leaders. Their response to antisocial behavior is discretionary yet fair. We don’t encounter much trouble here but heeding their advice is always wise. If you disagree then you are welcome to start your own forum elsewhere."

In other words, if you can't stand the humourless, deluded and narcissistic twats, you are more than welcome to start your own KKW elsewhere.