What the Hell is it DOING? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 21-03-2008, 03:54 AM   Senior Registered Member #1
kingdumbass

What the Hell is it DOING?

All right, computer question here....

OK, you know how it's possible to hear a slight grinding sound coming from inside a PC when it's "thinking" about something?
Like, let's say it's opening an application, or generally just trying to process a large amount of information. You can HEAR the machine clicking, etc, as it goes through the motions....

I know this is normal. However, sometimes, I'll be sitting near my PC, not even using it, and I'll hear it making that sound almost non-stop for several minutes on end. I'll get up to go and check what it's doing, and usually, it's just performing a virus scan or something of that nature; but on a few occasions, I haven't been able to figure out WHAT it's doing at all. I'll check the task manager, and will see nothing out of the ordinary using up resources. Yet, the machine continues grinding and clicking away, obviously processing SOMETHING.

If it's bugging me enough, I'll restart, and the PC will be quiet again once it's up and running.

What I want to know is, What the the heck is it DOING when this happens? How can I figure out just what the machine is thinking about so hard?

I know what you're going to say...but let's suppose, just for the sake of argument, that it's NOT a virus or anything of that nature. What ELSE could the computer be up to?

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 21-03-2008, 05:46 AM   Senior Registered Member #2
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Death to Videodrome.

Long live the new flesh!
Old 21-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Kceni9
Newcomer

I understand you. my PC collapses on a part too - rings, rattles etc. And I can do nothing with it. Fortunately I have earned enough money to buy to myself new hardware - and it there will be the MAC - certainly. And I can tell you only one - reconcile to it. Little advice - next time buy MAC and only MAC.Fortunately in your country you have no problem with Apple products...
Kceni9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 09:19 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #4
Liam
Bogan Elite

Are you running Windows Vista?

If so, the non-stop hard disk crunching is likely to be the indexing service mapping your hard drive so you can do instant search.

If not, it sounds like you have something configured to do a scan or defragment when the PC is idle. Check your virus scanner and task scheduler.
Old 21-03-2008, 09:27 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I think it's plotting his destruction. Like my avatar.
Old 22-03-2008, 07:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #6
kingdumbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Are you running Windows Vista?

If so, the non-stop hard disk crunching is likely to be the indexing service mapping your hard drive so you can do instant search.

If not, it sounds like you have something configured to do a scan or defragment when the PC is idle. Check your virus scanner and task scheduler.
Yes, I'm running Vista....
Hopefully, you're right regarding the cause.

One person I know is insisting that it's the hard drive going bad. I have a difficult time believing this, however, since pretty much EVERY computer I've ever dealt with (whether it belonged to me or not) has made this kind of sound. They couldn't ALL have had bad hard drives....
Old 22-03-2008, 11:18 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #7
Liam
Bogan Elite

Try disabling indexing - its an easy few clicks, just google it. See if it makes a difference. I disable it when I run Vista on my lower-spec laptop and it helps with performance a bit.

I leave it on for my desktop machine; I dont notice any performance hit.