Is there a downside of being a superstar ? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira Knightley Discussion

Keira Knightley Discussion General banter on the object of our affection.

Old 13-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
TBird

Is there a downside of being a superstar ?

Hi everyone

I just finished watching the POTC - Trilogy (had not seen it yet). Since I found the movie to be much more entertaining than I had expected, I checked the internet for additional information on the main actors thereby discovering KKW here.

Now after reading through the forums and the web I found it overwhelming how much news coverage there is available about Keira Knightley. So I decided I would ask some determined fans ;-) that have been following the rise Keira for a longer time what they think about the superstar status Keira has acquired.Do you feel it is a great thing being a celebrity or do you believe the price one has to pay may be high ?

By just reading through three websites, I read rumors about Keira suffering from anorexia, her former boyfriend supposedly trying to commit suicide after breaking up with her, her actual boyfriend doubting her love because she doesn't wear his ring...and so on and so on....I believe I would have a hard time keeping my sanity when had to read stuff like that on a regular basis in the newspaper/internet especially if these stories were untrue.
Added to this, there seem to be people out there that honestly believe she would be the perfect partner, based on her movies and a few interviews (usually reduced to words like “beautiful” and “great actress”).

Don’t get me wrong, nothing against being a fan of Keira, she sure is a charming girl from what I've seen - but don't you think that this type of fan “I need to find out where she lives and meet her there” is rather annoying to a celebrity ?

Last but not least, I wonder how you get to know people that are really interested in you and not just because of your status as a famous actress. It’s probably nice the first fifty times, but then I could imagine it’s starting to bother you if every stranger asks you “Hey, aren’t you the actress from [insert movie here] ?”.

Maybe that sounds too negative, because on the other hand she's making lots of money and has the possibility to work in big movie projects and meet other interesting people. But recently you could read quite a bit about younger celebrities ending up in rehab because of some kind of drug abuse or in the worst case even death like Heath Ledger, so I guess it’s probably not a piece of cake to deal with fame...

Anyway, what do you think ? How would you deal with popularity if you were a star ? Should the media back off a little to allow some privacy or is it allright the way it is ? Do you think being a celebrity in general is a double-edged sword ?
Old 13-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
maegan13
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird View Post
Do you feel it is a great thing being a celebrity or do you believe the price one has to pay may be high ?

it depends on the person - keira seems to be handling it well and maintaining a certain amount of grace. people like britney spears and lindsay lohan aren't.

Don’t get me wrong, nothing against being a fan of Keira, she sure is a charming girl from what I've seen - but don't you think that this type of fan “I need to find out where she lives and meet her there” is rather annoying to a celebrity ?

probably. then you get stories about actresses who were murdered by fan-stalkers and people like Charles Manson. not exactly the most comforting of thoughts, to say the least.

Last but not least, I wonder how you get to know people that are really interested in you and not just because of your status as a famous actress. It’s probably nice the first fifty times, but then I could imagine it’s starting to bother you if every stranger asks you “Hey, aren’t you the actress from [insert movie here] ?”.

meeting people who are interested in you and not your status is a fact of life - and its your choice (as the star). You meet someone who treats you normally, try and hangout with them a little, see if it changes. or hang out with others star - hopefully ones you can be normal with. or just stick to your childhood friends who have known you so long, itd be ridiculous to think of you as a superstar.

Anyway, what do you think ? How would you deal with popularity if you were a star ? Should the media back off a little to allow some privacy or is it allright the way it is ? Do you think being a celebrity in general is a double-edged sword ?
i dont think i'd handle it very well, im open about a lot of things, but very private about others. as a star, they technically dont have a right to complain about the paparazzi and all the tabloids because we, the people, pay to read them, and we also pay to watch them on screen. if we weren't here they would be working at like a McDonald's or some office somewhere. But there is such a thing as too far - jumping on a celebrity's car is just wrong. i think it's more like a delicious custard donut - with a slightly sour custard. depending on how well you can deal with the paparazzi determines how good your custard tastes. (can you tell that i didn't get much to eat this morning? ^_^)
maegan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 05:06 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

The downside of being a superstar is that you give up privacy. The fortune comes with the fame. Every move is watched. You can't go to dinner without being watched and photographed. Of course, if you crave privacy, you can afford to jet off to some ultra-exclusive resort where the paparazzi is kept away. For most of us, craving privacy means locking ourselves in the bathroom with a book.

It is a double edged sword, but there's very few situations in life that aren't. Once famous, a lot of stars long for the days when they could sit down to a meal in a restaurant without having to sign autographs. But then, I doubt they'd also be willing to give up their Beverly Hills mansions and fleet of fine automobiles.

What I can't understand are the people who simply crave stardom. I can't imagine why any of these reality television idiots would want that kind of attention. Further, I can't imagine why normal people would have any interest whatsoever in what the chick from the first Bachelorette is doing now anyway, yet I hear her name every so often. If you're going to idolize someone, at least make it someone with a shred of talent.

I think Keira deals with stardom pretty well. There are those who do and those who don't, and it seems like it's the ones who really crave the limelight and put themselves into paparazzi feeding frenzies on a regular basis who don't. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are a good example. Yes, you see pictures of them out and about, but I never get the feeling that they court the attention. Britney Spears, on the other hand, seems to require food, water, oxygen and a phalanx of paparazzi on all sides (not necessarily in that order) to survive.

It must be disturbing to read and hear the things written and said about you in the media, but the key is to let it roll off like water on a duck's (a real duck's...not our fearless leader's) back. Sue if you must, but don't make too big a deal out of it because the public has a short attention span and there's always some maladjusted person named Lindsay or Britney doing something outrageous to get your name out of the headlines.

I imagine it's very difficult for stars to make friends because of exactly what you pointed out. Look at all the "friends" of celebrities who go on these entertainment shows and sell their "insider" stories to the highest bidder. Of course, this isn't limited only to celebrities in the entertainment field, but is as bad or worse in the world of sports. Here in the States, leagues are filled with players who are put at risk by people they thought they could trust. It comes down to taking a hard look at the people you associate with. You may not know this name, but there is an American football player named Ray Lewis. Back in 2000, during the week prior to the Super Bowl, he and some members of his entourage (made up from his homeboys that he had grown up with) got into an altercation and two people wound up dead. He nearly went to prison because of it, and I honestly thought he should. However, once he had a chance to step back and examine these people who were basically riding on the coattails of his athletic ability, he purged them from his life. And now, Ray Lewis is a model citizen. It comes down to hard decisions and trust. He examined his relationships with these people and those who were just there for their own aggrandizement were jettisoned.

Celebrities have to be so much more wary of this because they have such a high profile. Look at all of the assistants that have sold stories about Britney to the media. Check out the photos of Lindsay Lohan in her underwear, that if memory serves, were sold to the media by a disgruntled ex-bodyguard. It's sad to see this trust betrayed, but then most of the celebrities who wind up in these situations bring it on themselves.

The media should back off, but they won't. Revenue comes from advertising and advertisers want the maximum amount of exposure, so Britney doing something crazy is always going to be a priority for the media to cover. It sells because we're all human, and no matter how much we deny it, we'll always peek out of the corner of our eye at the wreck. Each of these shows and magazines are desperate to get the big story first, so the attention is greater. Keira has seemed to deal with this pretty well simply by avoiding the mistakes that a lot of her contemporaries haven't. We don't see pictures of her vagina when getting out of the car. We don't see pictures of her humping random guys on sofas in Italy. And thus, the paparazzi, like the sharks they are, swim to more target rich environments to find the salacious bits that the public craves.

As for dealing with the media, I think celebrities just need to realize that they are being watched and therefore should behave with a bit of decorum. I've read that many will strike a bargain with the paparazzi and give them a few moments to snap their pictures and then go about their business. Likewise, I would imagine this sort of thing is policed by the paparazzi themselves in order to ensure continued access to that celebrity.
Old 13-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Katielondon
Jezebel

it wouldnt really bother me.
for what i needed to need, she'll make it
love, it's who you know
Katielondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 08:11 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #5
Leonie
Elle

I'm pretty sure it would bother the hell out of me. It'd be flattering for a little while, and then you get sick and tired of being followed around and stared at. I get that way on trains and with strange uni men already, I can't imagine how I'd cope if it were on a much larger scale.

Nice thread, btw. I'll think of a longer and more indepth reply some other time, bit busy now.
Old 16-02-2008, 09:32 AM   Officer #6
Renegade
Stock Boy

Fame definitely has an ugly side. I feel sorry for the sincere celebrities who just want to work and go home to their families afterward and live a normal life. They don't deserve photographers in their faces 24/7. I could care less about people like Paris Hilton who love camera time. She has no sense of what it means to live a normal life. It makes me wish stars didn't live in Hollywood. As much as they want to avoid it, they're basically asking to be stalked and photographed.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 05:11 AM   Senior Registered Member #7
kingdumbass

Quote:
Is there a downside of being a superstar ?
To get an idea of what the downside of being a celebrity might be, all one has to do is take a look at the things one newspaper, The Daily Mail, prints about Ms. Knightley on a regular basis....
If it wasn't for the money involved, being a celebrity would not be worth it.