Premiership Up-to-Date - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #21
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
Haz and I should run FIFA.
We should, but then we'd be cunts. Everyone who runs FIFA/UEFA is a cunt.

As for Spurs getting cheated Ricky...heh...bollocks.You were lucky to even be playing Hapoel today, Getafe were the better side over both legs. Jammy Spurs as fucking usual. Hope they go down.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM   Officer #22
DragonRat
Officer

What I suggest is something that all sports--except the most subjective of them--is that we move toward electronic judging. Some type of electronic marker that would light up whenever the goal went in, or when the attacking player is offside. (If the eye in the sky can spot stuff like that, then what's the point of having referees except to make sure no one gets roughed up any more than necessary?) In my opinion, in order to make the game purer, I would have more electronic control, and less subjective eyes in order to sway the game.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:37 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #23
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

If they can make a ball that has RFID sensors woven into the surface and goal posts that can send a signal once said ball passes completely through the frame...and they can make it work in Newcastle in the middle of January...then I'm fine with it.
In theory, each player could wear an RFID tag woven into the elastic of his shorts or the collar of his shirt. The sensor on the ball could be triggered when the ball is kicked and a computer could determine offside based on the position of the players.
Then they could change the name from the Barclays Premier League to the George Orwell's Wet Dream.

Seriously though, it's a system that could work very well. However (there's always a however), the conspiracy nuts would come out of the woodwork to claim that Fergie uses some sort of jamming device to hide Tevez from the computer at Old Trafford or that Wenger has a button in the dugout at the Emirates that lets him shut off the sensors in the goal Arsenal is defending. Hackers could get into the system and wreak havoc during the Merseyside derby, keeping fans inside of Anfield for hours whilst it's being straightened out...allowing cohorts to steal every single car stereo for blocks in each direction.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 AM   Officer #24
DragonRat
Officer

Somehow I think it would all even out eventually :P

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 02:34 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #25
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Well, Bruce to Wigan certainly mucks up the picture. Now I'm not so certain Birmingham will stay up. I certainly don't see them bringing in a dynamic manager before January because of their ownership situation. I've heard Paul Jewell's name connected with Birmingham City, but I'm not sure he wants to come back to management that bad. As for Bruce, I understand how tenuous he must have felt his situation was, but Wigan? That's a lateral move, at best.
So far, I have to say Curbs has done the best job of any manager this year. For West Ham to be in the top half of the table despite all of the players missing due to injury is quite remarkable. Dean Ashton spends less time on the pitch than Michael Owen. Bellamy, Bowyer and Noble all have had hernia operations. Virtually every summer signing has missed significant playing time this season. Parker, Dyer, Ljungberg and Faubert have managed only a bit more playing time than I have this season.
Eriksson would have to be right up there if it weren't for the 6-0 drubbing at Stamford Bridge. Manchester City seemed to have cooled off a bit and I think they may be headed back toward their rightful (read: middle of the table) place.
I still think that Manchester United have the tools needed to exert their will on the rest of the league now that the yellow balls have been rolled out. I think Arsenal will begin to fade as the weather turns in favor of the scousers, Mancs and Welsh. With Rooney out, United may suffer, but Tevez seems up to the challenge.
Old 23-11-2007, 01:08 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #26
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Funnily enough Brad we don't do so badly in December traditionally, our bogey month is nearly always November. Having said that I think this is a different Arsenal team and I've always said we'll finish second to United and stand by that. Hleb missing for the next three weeks is a huge loss, everyone's been talking about Cesc being our player of the season but I think it's been Hleb, who's also our most improved player. Having said that Super Robin is back soon and he'll be a massive plus as he's our main goal threat. He's got that bit of magic about him too.

If we're still top come January the title's ours. This is United's time to shine, they either do it now or it'll be too late. I'm not convinced losing Eboue and Toure to the AFCN will affects us TOO badly. We've got so much more squad depth than people think because most of our players can play in more than one position. Not to mention Djourou's coming back in January and he's been playing quite well at Birmingham. No, the winter will be decisive I think.

I still say United will come out on top but I'm eagerly awaiting this winter.
Old 26-11-2007, 01:43 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #27
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Robert Green is God.
Two penalty saves in added time to preserve a point in two of West Ham's last three games gives us five from three instead of three from three. He does tend to make mistakes with crosses, but when the heat is on, he is fucking nails.
Shame to see Spurs out of the relegation zone.
Bolton 1 - Manchester United 0. Wasn't expecting to see that scoreline. Didn't see the game, so I have no idea what the run of play was like, but I imagine it was something like West Ham's 1-0 win over them last year. Shock goal against overwhelming possession.
The scousers won by a combined 10-1 and amazingly, neither club was playing Derby. I guess Newcastle fans could gain some satisfaction from Sunderland's 7-1 beatdown by Everton. That, and the fact that their own ass-kicking could have been a lot worse. Torres missed a couple that he shouldn't have. Big Sam's looking less and less like the missing ingredient from Champions League football with every passing match. Perhaps he'll be England's next manager.

Arsenal looked like a champion...kind of like the New England Patriots. In a game against a lesser, struggling opponent who are playing their hearts out, they kept their cool and didn't lose focus.
Arsenal 2 - Wigan 0.
Patriots 31 - Eagles 28.
And now they have a three point lead with a game in hand.
Old 29-11-2007, 03:52 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #28
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Bah! Have I not mentioned I'm an Eagles fan? Still, I take heart from the fact that NOBODY has played that well against the Pats this year, not even the Colts. Feeley had the game of his life...two mistakes cost him, and the Eagles. Can't see anyone beating the Pats this year on that performance.

On to football and I still am not worried, even after Arsenal finally lost a match this season. We were the last English side to be unbeaten in all competitions and are still one of only two Premiership sides to be unbeaten in the league. At least this way I won't constantly be reminded of the fact that Arsenal last lost a match on April 7th (my birthday) against West Ham...a game I was at (worse, I was at the end West Ham scored at).
Old 29-11-2007, 10:10 PM   Senior Registered Member #29
michael22
eternally screwed

Electric lights do not nescesarily help judging, fencing has it and it does not prevent judges from making calls that are total bollocks. Referees still make bad calls and sometimes are blind enough to miss the lights, I even had one confuse the lights and award the oher participant the point.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #30
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle View Post
Bah! Have I not mentioned I'm an Eagles fan? Still, I take heart from the fact that NOBODY has played that well against the Pats this year, not even the Colts. Feeley had the game of his life...two mistakes cost him, and the Eagles. Can't see anyone beating the Pats this year on that performance.

On to football and I still am not worried, even after Arsenal finally lost a match this season. We were the last English side to be unbeaten in all competitions and are still one of only two Premiership sides to be unbeaten in the league. At least this way I won't constantly be reminded of the fact that Arsenal last lost a match on April 7th (my birthday) against West Ham...a game I was at (worse, I was at the end West Ham scored at).
My condolences on the Eagles fanship.
Oh, and my condolences on Arsenal's unbeaten streak coming to an end. Who'd have thought that the last two unbeaten streaks in the Premiership would be ended by Reading and Middlesbrough. Arsrenal may very well have saved two managers' jobs in the space of a few days.
Reading looks like they are getting back to where they were last season. As does Derby...that place being the Championship. What a dreadful showing. As for teams that have turned it around, Bolton and Spurs look like they're adjusting to their new managers. I would imagine that Fulham will be the next team to have to make that adjustment. I don't want to see Fulham relegated, but it's beginning to look like a real possibility. Sanchez just doesn't seem to have any answers.
West Ham has really made me proud so far. Tenth in the table and nine from eighteen in their last six games, including this weekend's win at Blackburn is a really remarkable run of form given the number of injuries. We may just challenge for a spot in the UEFA Cup once some of the goal scorers get well and those on the pitch start to convert more opportunities. Ashton missed an absolute sitter and I've lost count of how many Solano has missed so far this season. Of course, with the defense playing so well and Robert Green continuing to play lights out, most times, we only need one. Four points from trips to Parks Fratton and Ewood are more than I could have hoped for.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:09 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #31
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Hammers are playing brilliantly. Thanks for your condolences too. I'm not over-reacting to a bad week though, we've got three of our first choice midfielders out and our star striker, not only that but I suspect Wenger's been a bit sneaky (and proven why he's such a good manager)

Rumours were strong that Van Persie would be back for the Wigan game but then Hleb got injured and suddenly we heard nothing about Robin. My suspicion is that Flamini, Fabregas and Van Persie could all have featured against Boro (but Wenger chose not to risk them) and will all feature against Chelsea, the Dutchman probably from the bench.

In the big scheme of things a win over Chelsea and losing to Boro would be a better scenario than beating Boro and losing to the blues. Our early season blitzing start has allowed us to make calculated risks like that and the big 6-pointers (not to mention this congested winter period) will be more likely to decide our fate than two trips to the North East.

And Wenger rightly pointed out United have played 9 home games and 7 away this season, we've played 8 of each, and we're still above them. It would stupid to panic, I'll wait until the new year and see where we are then. To be honest I never expected to even be in the title hunt, let alone leading the race, so this season can't help but be a success. So long as we finish third or above we'll have done as well as I expected us to.

My belief is United will overtake us but we'll remain clear of Chelsea.
Old 27-12-2007, 09:15 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #32
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Well Haz...you were right.
United's overtaken Arsenal. I'm sure I was more pleased with West Ham's draw at Fratton Park than you were with Arsenal.
Sadly, I think Fulham is doomed. I wonder where Dempsey and McBride will go if they do get relegated. It wouldn't surprise me to see McBride retire, but Dempsey'll surely go somewhere in the Premier League for next year. I can see Keane willing Sunderland above Middlesbrough, but I just don't see Fulham snagging a manager capable of saving them from relegation. I wonder if Paul Jewell is wishing Sanchez had been sacked when Davies was, because I'm sure he'd rather be at Fulham than Derby, because I don't see any way Derby stays up.
Old 28-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #33
runangl
Run Angle.

I was so stoked at that last win. I'm too lazy to go into it, but:

GO MAN U! REDS FOR LIFE!

goodnight
Old 28-12-2007, 01:14 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #34
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

No doubt Haz will be rooting for the Hammers this Saturday. Arsenal needs United to drop points at West Ham, because they probably will at Everton. It could go from a one to four point deficit real quick like. West Ham's had pretty good luck against United recently, and this is the kind of game they generally get up for. For me, any points from this fixture is a bonus.
Old 28-12-2007, 05:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #35
michael22
eternally screwed

Go West Ham, anyways I hope James Mcfadden hammers a couple into the net for Everton.
Old 28-12-2007, 05:50 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #36
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
I can see Keane willing Sunderland above Middlesbrough, but I just don't see Fulham snagging a manager capable of saving them from relegation.
Hodgson to Fulham. Perhaps I was wrong. I forgot he was floating about.
Old 29-12-2007, 11:09 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #37
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by runangl View Post
I was so stoked at that last win. I'm too lazy to go into it, but:

GO MAN U! REDS FOR LIFE!

goodnight
West Ham 2 - Manchester United 1
Old 30-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #38
runangl
Run Angle.

look at the rankings.

Where is west ham, exactly? Oh about... 16 points behind Man U.

Old 30-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #39
caniskeira
Newcomer

If I'm not mistaken, Keira is a West Ham fan, and that's the only reason (a stupid reason i realize) why I don't feel as crappy as I normally would feel about United losing to them -_-
caniskeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 01:07 AM   Senior Registered Member #40
michael22
eternally screwed

so did johnny rotten, though the best reason to feel bad about losing to west ham is that the hammers are awesome.