Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt? - Page 7 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

View Poll Results: Should homosexual couples be allowed to adopt a child?
YES! 39 66.10%
NO! 20 33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #121
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightfreak
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS

Seems like science tends to a yes.

Not much point in discussing this further unless you have the scientific background imo.
Did you think that I wouldn't follow that link because you impugned my ability to read a "scientific study" created by a bunch of "scientists" in a field that I dispute has any relevance to "the real world?"

Reading the study. Back later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightfreak's "Study"
SUMMARY
The small and nonrepresentative samples studied
and the relatively young age of most of the children
suggest some reserve. However, the weight of evidence
gathered during several decades using diverse
samples and methodologies is persuasive in demonstrating
that there is no systematic difference between
gay and nongay parents in emotional health,
parenting skills, and attitudes toward parenting. No
data have pointed to any risk to children as a result
of growing up in a family with 1 or more gay parents.
Some among the vast variety of family forms,
histories, and relationships may prove more conducive
to healthy psychosexual and emotional development
than others.
Too bad YOU didn't actually read the study you quoted. It doesn't say anything near what you purported. Consequently, I must question your credentials. You Academically lied. That would cause you a lot of pain, if you actually were an academic.

And now to the second paragraph of this "Study" in order to show why these people should not be taken seriously. They are Academically Dishonest. They have printed a propaganda piece disguised as a "Study" and "Flightfreak" fell for it. I hereby apologize to Flightfreak for claiming that he was Academically dishonest. He was merely misled, and wrong in his citations. I am assuming that he can actually find some valid citations to make me change my current opinion of his debating skills.

Quote:
Research exploring the diversity of parental relationships
among gay and lesbian parents is just beginning.
Children whose parents divorce (regardless
of sexual orientation) are better adjusted when their
parents have high self-esteem, maintain a responsible
and amicable relationship, and are currently living
with a partner. Children living with divorced
lesbian mothers have better outcomes when they
learn about their mother’s homosexuality at a
younger age, when their fathers and other important
adults accept their mother’s lesbian identity, and
perhaps when they have contact with other children
of lesbians and gay men. Parents and children
have better outcomes when the daunting tasks of
parenting are shared, and children seem to benefit
from arrangements in which lesbian parents divide
child care and other household tasks in an egalitarian
manner as well as when conflict between partners
is low. Although gay and lesbian parents may not,
despite their best efforts, be able to protect their
children fully from the effects of stigmatization and
discrimination, parents’ sexual orientation is not a
variable that, in itself, predicts their ability to provide
a home environment that supports children’s development.
Emphasis mine. The word "perhaps" should never be the result of a "Study." Another point which I won't bother to argue is that this "Study" was of 300 children, a large percentage of whom were infants.

(Couldn't resist adding this to pretend to show Flightfreak that we all aren't dummies out here. For a study to be valid, the error bars must be less than two sigma. Since the people doing this study purport that there are between one and nine million people in their "included group," a study of less than about six percent of at least one million people is required. [and preferrably six percent of four and a half million people.] )

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 04:57 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #122
Foeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The BLack Douglas

A father figure is needed but it doesn't need to be someone who is part of the relationship, many uncles or family friends fill this role.(Note a father figure is different than a father)
And how on earth are you, as a homosexual couple, going to prove that the child will have a father figure?
Now we've seen some 'scientific' articles, one saying it doesn't affect the children and their sexuality and one saying it does. What does that show? You can make these so-called 'scientific' tell whatever you like. It all depends on how you look at it...
Flightfreak: Up until now, we've been discussing this as a political matter, and I think it's been rather good. I'm glad this thread was brought back to life.

Last edited by Foeni; 20-04-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Foeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #123
Scaramouche

the words are getting bigger *runs away*
Scaramouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 03:14 AM   #124
Alexandram25
Newcomer

Smile not really sure!

homosexual couples should be allowed to adopt children because they can't have their own but you have to feel sorry for their adopted child having to live with the fact that he has two homosexual fathers! The child would also have to deal with the other children at their school too! But then again, Homosexual couples would feel really stink not being able to adopt children! So after all that i am not really sure if i should vote yes or no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So have fun trying to work it out for yourself!!!
Alexandram25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 03:28 AM   Senior Registered Member #125
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Should queahs be able to adopd liddle babies? What ta make moh queahs?!

/boston
Old 19-10-2007, 03:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #126
Pygmalion
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandram25 View Post
homosexual couples should be allowed to adopt children because they can't have their own but you have to feel sorry for their adopted child having to live with the fact that he has two homosexual fathers! The child would also have to deal with the other children at their school too! But then again, Homosexual couples would feel really stink not being able to adopt children! So after all that i am not really sure if i should vote yes or no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So have fun trying to work it out for yourself!!!
Well maybe if people were more tolerant, their kids wouldn't tease a child just because they have two fathers/mothers.
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 06:17 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #127
Digital_Ice

new poll.

should people be alowed to bump threads over a year old?
Old 19-10-2007, 06:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #128
JenR
on loan from np.com

I really dont see the big deal where 2 men cant have a son, or two woman cant have a daughter.

if that was the case in life, then straight women shouldn't be able to have sons, and straight men shouldn't be able to have daughters.
JenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 07:24 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #129
Liam
Bogan Elite

The whole point is that creating a child requires a male and a female, not a male and a male or a female and a female.

Its pretty simple, isnt it?
Old 19-10-2007, 07:35 AM   Senior Registered Member #130
Pygmalion
Pissed

Theoretically though, you COULD take an x chromosome from one woman, and one from another to created a female child.
Of course that would make males entirely redundant....not an entirely bad thing.
Old 19-10-2007, 08:16 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #131
Liam
Bogan Elite

Theoretically, you can do pretty much anything you want. Its not all natural and free from colours and flavours though. I guess I just figure that if its not happening naturally without outside help from science, then theres probably a reason for that.

If we males are going to be made redundant, our union is going to demand a pretty hefty redundancy payout. Its only fair, really.
Old 19-10-2007, 11:48 AM   Senior Registered Member #132
Pygmalion
Pissed

Well you wouldn't get much of a payout in Australia...
Old 19-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #133
mongoose

This is way too much. Isn't it enough that they are already gay ? Should they have a gay son too, so that gaynes will spread ? Better not
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 12:01 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #134
Liam
Bogan Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post
Well you wouldn't get much of a payout in Australia...
True.

Vote 1 Tony Martin.
Old 20-10-2007, 10:39 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #135
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
This is way too much. Isn't it enough that they are already gay ? Should they have a gay son too, so that gaynes will spread ? Better not
Yes, I bet they mix gay tablets in the poor boy's food. He'll never know, but give it a few years, and he'll be, dare I say it, gay!

Please. Gayness is not like TB. I may not wholly agree with the gay adoption issue here, but I'm far enough into the 21st century not to be condescending about it.
Old 20-10-2007, 02:30 PM   Senior Registered Member #136
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie View Post
Yes, I bet they mix gay tablets in the poor boy's food. He'll never know, but give it a few years, and he'll be, dare I say it, gay!

Please. Gayness is not like TB. I may not wholly agree with the gay adoption issue here, but I'm far enough into the 21st century not to be condescending about it.
well put.

Since most stuff has already been said on this, I'll just say I think gay couples should be allowed to adopt. You'll deny somebody happiness (and I'm not just talking about couples, think about the kids. Even if their lives were tough, surely there's no study that proves having same-sex parents will screw them up...I know people who are much worse off living with their Daddy and Mommy) just because they won't have a distinctly separated "father" and "mother" figure?
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 04:14 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #137
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Ice View Post
new poll.

should people be alowed to bump threads over a year old?
No. Especially when they have nothing enlightened to add. PD's argument wins.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 02:45 AM   #138
keiraRules

Talking

well i belivie in equal rights if it's for someones race, relgion, sex, or sexulitey (i can't spell :lol
so i belivie gay people have the right to get married and adopt children what they do in their bedroom is they business it's the same with every1 lets not judge people not every gay is a bad person (i have gay friends) they are people out their that are bad worse parents than gay couples
keiraRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #139
mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie View Post
Gayness may not be something bad or negative at the moment, but it will be some day. Take example of the gypsis , they used to be nice people, they used to work, and now everyone tries to get rid of them because they steal, beg and it gets worser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiraRules View Post
so i belivie gay people have the right to get married and adopt children what they do in their bedroom is they business it's the same with every1 lets not judge people not every gay is a bad person (i have gay friends) they are people out their that are bad worse parents than gay couples
There are two different things. Of beeing gay and forming a couple with a person of the same sex, and the second, of just playing gay, not having a relationship, and maby living with mommy and daddy (like PD said).
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 09:37 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #140
Leonie
Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
Gayness may not be something bad or negative at the moment, but it will be some day. Take example of the gypsis , they used to be nice people, they used to work, and now everyone tries to get rid of them because they steal, beg and it gets worser.
You're pulling my leg, right? Do you mind if I enquire after your feelings on Jews? You might just complete the magical Hitler trifecta.

Being gay doesn't hurt anyone. Mind you, I don't need to know about it, or see you parading around Amsterdam in very little clothes, but it's harmless. To judge people on that basis alone... you'll have passed up some great friends over the years.

I'd start checking what your parents put in your food. If you look carefully, I think you'll find bits of prejudiced arsehole. Or maybe you were raised by prejudiced arseholes, in which case, you can't really help being one.

Be glad I don't take for granted what Romanians are known as in my country. Fuck sake.