Collections? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 15-09-2007, 06:04 AM   Senior Registered Member #1
kingdumbass

Collections?

So, does anyone here collect anything?
You know -- like, say, stamps? Or maybe rare coins?? Used bandages???

I have two collections to which I actively add on a regular basis. The first is 8-bit Nintendo games. I've got around 130 NES games at the moment, and I add maybe one or two per month. My collection doesn't really have any particular focus, however -- I just buy whatever strikes me as interesting, regardless of the game's apparent quality. For instance, I recently bought "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" on E-Bay, even though I knew fully well the game would suck. I just thought it would be neat to have a Tom Sawyer video game.

Anyway, my other collection is more unusual: I collect cheap cookies. You know, like the kinds of cookies that come in boxes of 30 for, like, 2 dollars or less. The kinds of cookies you see for 50 cents at a gas station. The kinds sold in bins at WalMart....I've always liked them; to me, there's a certain charm to be found in a box of "Fancy Cookies", made in a place like, say, Columbia, and then sold in bulk at The Dollar Store here in the US. Butter cookies, sugar cookies, chocolate chip, Oreo rip-offs, wafers, oatmeal, cream sandwich....As long as they're made of cheap ingredients, and come at a very low price, they'll appeal to me. I'll buy two packages, eat one, and stick the other in a large cupboard I have reserved for the storage of my cheap cookie collection.

I was recently taken by a friend to a popular bakery in my town, known all over for its high-quality cookies and cakes. I spent 5 dollars on two cookies -- a "peanut butter chocolate delight", and a "Blueberry bomb", both made with rich, fresh ingredients of obvious quality...and I didn't like either. Didn't even finish them. All they did was make me crave a bag of "Ed Venture Assorted Cookies", which can be found in bags of 100 for one dollar at a store near my home. The "Assorted" in this brand's name is a bit misleading, as all of the flavors included actually taste the same; but I don't care. I like them anyway.

I should start an online shrine to cheap cookies. Perhaps it would enable me to connect with other connoisseurs, and we could swap oddities. I've been looking for a bag of Uncle Al's frosted butter cookies for some time now.

Ahem. Anyway, what about YOU???
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 10:55 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #2
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

I might be shot-down here but I've always felt that collecting things shows some inherent psychological defect or 'wiring error'. When you think about it, collecting something is totally unproductive, obsessive-compulsive and an inexplicably bizarre phenomenon. Why would I want to have a vast array of things that are basically identical, or at least very similar? Take someone who collects Frogs for example. What psychological processes occur so as to make that person driven to seek pleasure in surrounding themselves with hundreds or thousands of semi-identical porcelain green ribbiters?

It just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 11:22 AM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

I agree with Baz ( I never heard of anyone who collects frogs)
Old 15-09-2007, 11:36 AM   Officer #4
Renegade
Stock Boy

I'll admit it... I used to collect Pokemon cards back in what, '99? What can I say, I was a kid who wanted to be "cool" and who was easily amused by shiny, holographic things.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 01:11 PM   Senior Registered Member #5
kingdumbass

Actually, I agree with you, Barrington....
There is something obssessive-compulsive about collecting things, and it may be a reflection of another, underlying mental illness.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 08:23 PM   Senior Registered Member #6
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I collect the souls of those I have bested in combat...and T-shirts.
Old 15-09-2007, 09:02 PM   Senior Registered Member #7
Porcelain_Doll
little-miss-smut-for-brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrington View Post
I might be shot-down here but I've always felt that collecting things shows some inherent psychological defect or 'wiring error'. When you think about it, collecting something is totally unproductive, obsessive-compulsive and an inexplicably bizarre phenomenon. Why would I want to have a vast array of things that are basically identical, or at least very similar? Take someone who collects Frogs for example. What psychological processes occur so as to make that person driven to seek pleasure in surrounding themselves with hundreds or thousands of semi-identical porcelain green ribbiters?

It just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Yup, sounds like me. (What? you're reading this from a perfectionist whose wardrobe is organised by colour and use)

I have a strange fascination with smooth, round flat stones. I have a wooden tray full of them...whenever I'm at the beach, I don't collect sea shells like most people, I choose only the most perfect and flat pebbles. Usually in very strange colours, such as purple or green.
There's something strangely calming about these pebbles, their perfect surface and cool touch.

I also keep a folder bursting with magazine clippings, usually perfume ads or clothing ones. This doesn't have much of an psychological explanation behind it: I adore to draw and design clothes. If a certain pose or hair-style catch my eye, I'll keep it for inspiration and then give it my own twist on paper.
"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." Elizabeth Bennet

musings and ramblings, aka:
my blog

Porcelain_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 02:20 AM   First Class Member #8
DanMan

I have a lot of Chicago Bears memorabilia (American Football).
Everything you can think of...Bobble heads, autographed cards,
pictures, sports artist drawings, pennants, banners, house items
with logos, jerseys, about a thousand football cards.
I guess that makes me an obsessive fan.

:Hail:
DanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 03:31 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #9
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I don't collect anything because I like to have as less of a heap of useless junk as possible when I move.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 02:37 PM   Senior Registered Member #10
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Ever since I started going to Florida State University last year, I'm slowly collecting Seminole memorabilia. From T-shirts to hats to mugs to those rubber bracelets everyone seems to wear to salsa jars to bags of noodles shaped like spears...it's everywhere.
Old 16-09-2007, 08:12 PM   Senior Registered Member #11
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511 View Post
Ever since I started going to Florida State University last year, I'm slowly collecting Seminole memorabilia. From T-shirts to hats to mugs to those rubber bracelets everyone seems to wear to salsa jars to bags of noodles shaped like spears...it's everywhere.
You should go make friends instead.
Old 16-09-2007, 08:43 PM   Senior Registered Member #12
frodo1511
Pin Dick

We all have the itis.
Old 16-09-2007, 09:04 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #13
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

Quote:
Ever since I started going to Florida State University last year, I'm slowly collecting Seminole memorabilia
You should collect Gator stuff, that'll make you popular
Old 16-09-2007, 10:09 PM   Senior Registered Member #14
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

He should collect old people.
Old 16-09-2007, 10:24 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #15
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Quote:
We all have the itis.
I completely thought that said "we all have tits."

Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 12:08 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #16
Digital_Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
I completely thought that said "we all have tits."

thank god i wasn't the only one.
Old 17-09-2007, 01:21 AM   Senior Registered Member #17
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman View Post
You should collect Gator stuff, that'll make you popular

That woudl be about as funny as me painting my face black and screaming the n-word in front of a bunch of black people.
Old 18-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #18
Surprize

I collect calendar cards. I like to take a new one when I begin to read a new book.
Surprize is offline   Reply With Quote