Halo 2 Theatrical Trailer - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 26-07-2004, 02:03 AM   Senior Registered Member #21
Spire
InSpire Me

Burnout 3 looks awesome, Forza looks like a GT clone, and both can't touch GT4 when it comes to a realistic simulation. They can't do car damage because of the car licenses, I'm sure they would if the car companies would let them. Watch the GT4 video, the fans look really good. Their heads and bodies actually move to watch the cars zooming by, and they're definetly not flat.
Old 26-07-2004, 02:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #22
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire
Burnout 3 looks awesome, Forza looks like a GT clone, and both can't touch GT4 when it comes to a realistic simulation. They can't do car damage because of the car licenses, I'm sure they would if the car companies would let them. Watch the GT4 video, the fans look really good. Their heads and bodies actually move to watch the cars zooming by, and they're definetly not flat.

Saw the trailer, and WOAH!!! A major upgrade from the shit in GT4: Prologue(where the fans were cardboard cutouts). Sorry. But, a question occurs, spire: Why won't the automobile companies let Polyphony do realistic damage to the cars? Bizarre had it in PGR, Microsoft will have it in Forza, and Criterion, well, they overdo the damage in Burnout I'll still go for Burnout 3, but I'll mooch off my friend, who preordered the game last week.
Old 26-07-2004, 02:26 AM   Senior Registered Member #23
Spire
InSpire Me

Because GT4's car's are licensed. I don't know about PGR or Forza, but Burnout just has generic cars, ones that don't actually exist in real life. All the cars in GT4 do. If Forza and PGR did have licensed cars, then maybe Polyphony couldn't get the rights to include car damage from some of the companies. Several dozen companies provide Polyphony with the rights to use the cars (as well as test them, and gather specs from test models). If one companys says they can't damage the car, Polyphony wouldn't be able to include damage to any of the cars. You can have some of the cars receive damage, and some of the others not. That would be inconsistent and unrealistic.
Old 26-07-2004, 02:32 AM   Senior Registered Member #24
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Because GT4's car's are licensed. I don't know about PGR or Forza, but Burnout just has generic cars, ones that don't actually exist in real life. All the cars in GT4 do. If Forza and PGR did have licensed cars, then maybe Polyphony couldn't get the rights to include car damage from some of the companies. Several dozen companies provide Polyphony with the rights to use the cars (as well as test them, and gather specs from test models). If one companys says they can't damage the car, Polyphony wouldn't be able to include damage to any of the cars. You can have some of the cars receive damage, and some of the others not. That would be inconsistent and unrealistic.
I knew that Bunout had there own cars, but were "based" off of real cars(like the GTA series) PGR and Forza do have all there cars liscened, and recieved special permission from the companies to literally bash the hell out of them. I for one would've cried if I saw my Skyline completly demolished in front of my eyes
Back on Topic, however, go see the theatrical trailer to H2, everyone. It's mind-blowing, even if most of the footage has been shown at the past two E3's.
Old 26-07-2004, 02:39 AM   Senior Registered Member #25
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

The answer is simple...

The answer is very simple my friend. GT4 will be the most graphically advanced PS2 game to date. The graphics engine just cannot support the extra power needed to create and keep the damage on the cars. Burnout is much less graphically demanding, and Project Gotham Racing for XBox does have the power to create such damage. Not only is GT4 graphically demanding, it also sports the best sound in the genre. It is all too demanding for the PS2. This is the same reason that they cannot have a more realistic looking crowd. The polygons would just be too much.

I haven't played any game but ESPN NBA 2K4 in about 4 months, I'm looking forward to GT4.
Dyce_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 03:02 AM   Senior Registered Member #26
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I beg to differ, dyce, about the "Burnout= less advanced than GT4" remark. B3: Takedown will feature a buttery smooth 60 fps, some of the most polished cars in the genre, and the crashes are simply awe-inspiring. Oh, and the levels are multi-tiered, fully polygonal, and can feature almost 35-50 cars on screen at once(counting the A.I. bots, and "traffic" Ign.com even suggests that it can be the GAME OF THE YEAR, which is astounding when you stack it up against the competition. I have no doubt that GT4 is breath-taking, but Takedown will own it everywhere other than the realism.
Old 26-07-2004, 03:11 AM   Senior Registered Member #27
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Yeah

I wasn't sure about the new Burnout game. I was kinda basing my response on Burnout 2, which I enjoyed playing.
Old 26-07-2004, 03:23 AM   Senior Registered Member #28
frodo1511
Pin Dick

No problem, dyce. Takedown overthrows Point of Impact at every point possible. Only bad thing about it is that it's being published by EA....those corperate bastards, buying up everyone else.
Old 26-07-2004, 03:29 AM   Senior Registered Member #29
Dyce_Blue
Yellow at Heart

Damn EA!

I'm getting really, really sick of EA. They own every expensive game licsense in the industry. This hatred is enhanced by the fact that I am a diehard SEGA fan. I really hate how EA is turning more and more into a conglomeration than a game company,
Old 26-07-2004, 03:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #30
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce_Blue
I'm getting really, really sick of EA. They own every expensive game licsense in the industry. This hatred is enhanced by the fact that I am a diehard SEGA fan. I really hate how EA is turning more and more into a conglomeration than a game company,

Pissed me off greatly that EA bought out the rights to Battlefield:Modern Combat, Timesplitters:Future Perfect, and now Bunout:Takedown. It makes me upset that EA can go right up to the likes of Criterion and Eidos and buy them right up.
Old 26-07-2004, 04:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #31
Spire
InSpire Me

Burnout 3 will be great, but it's not more advanced than GT4. Maybe you've heard of the extent Polyphony goes to get their game right. Recording engine sounds for each different car at different speeds and in different environments. Driving each car and recording mountains of data that reflect in the game. The GT series is used at auto trade shows to show other experts how their certain car handles. It's insanely advanced. Graphically, both games will be excellent, but GT4 is head and shoulders above everything else in the realism and detail department. Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to Burnout 3, I own Burnout 2 and love it death, but it's more of an arcade racer than a sim.
Old 26-07-2004, 05:01 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Burnout 3 will be great, but it's not more advanced than GT4. Maybe you've heard of the extent Polyphony goes to get their game right. Recording engine sounds for each different car at different speeds and in different environments. Driving each car and recording mountains of data that reflect in the game. The GT series is used at auto trade shows to show other experts how their certain car handles. It's insanely advanced. Graphically, both games will be excellent, but GT4 is head and shoulders above everything else in the realism and detail department. Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to Burnout 3, I own Burnout 2 and love it death, but it's more of an arcade racer than a sim.

Me prefers the arcady over the realism-couldn't quite get that powerslide down pat
Old 26-07-2004, 05:11 AM   Senior Registered Member #33
Spire
InSpire Me

I like both. Nothing quite like slamming into a car and sending it crashing into a bus, but I love driving a car that actually exists too. I'd say my favorite racing series goes like this: 1. F-Zero 2. Gran Turismo 3. Burnout
Old 26-07-2004, 05:58 AM   Senior Registered Member #34
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
I like both. Nothing quite like slamming into a car and sending it crashing into a bus, but I love driving a car that actually exists too. I'd say my favorite racing series goes like this: 1. F-Zero 2. Gran Turismo 3. Burnout

Shooters
1. Halo
2. Half-life
3.Doom

Sequals most likely in that same order.
Old 26-07-2004, 08:04 PM   #35
MC117

Quote:
The model for that screenshot looks ingame, but the flames are definetly from a cut scene. Halo 2's graphics are good, but don't even begin to touch Resident Evil 4, Half-Life 2 or Gran Tursimo 4. Not even close.
I dont know if you have realized yet but Halo's cutscenes look exactly as the game play. (thats how it was in the first game) Where'd grand turismo and RE4 came in to the competition? hehe, i dont think the graphics on RE4 is any good. its all pictures in teh background. Half_life 2 is comparable but not other games...
Old 26-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #36
MC117

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511
Serioulsly, you only have one game(as of now) MC? Damn, get Ninja Gaiden-best action game ever. Anywho, this year will be extremely hard hitting on our pocket books for gaming-H2, Half-Life2, Doom 3, Resident Evil Quattro Metroid Prime 2:Echoes, and a host of others(GTA: San Andreas NOT INCLUDED-SUCKS.) Other than that, the hype has gone through the roof for H2, with state of the art graphics, a story that matters in a FPS(half-life not included), and the best online multiplayer to date in a videogame. E3 sold the deal for me this year-can't wait to hijack someone off their ghost in MP BTW can anyone prove to me that this shot is in-game footage? I want to rub it in my friends face-he's completly in love with the Gamecube.
yea, Halo doesn't get boring for some reason, i play it online through xbconnect (NOT xbox live) and its alot of fun, i also have it for pc that shot is in game. Halo doesn't change graphics in cut scenes and make them all pretty and when its actually your turn to play, turn it all gay, (like FF, Resident Evil etc. games)
Old 26-07-2004, 08:25 PM   Senior Registered Member #37
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC117
Halo doesn't change graphics in cut scenes and make them all pretty and when its actually your turn to play, turn it all gay, (like FF, Resident Evil etc. games)
Neither does MGS II.
But how can you call the CGI movies in FF and RE gay? They're amazing! They also help better develop feelings for characters and story, rather than some retarded happening in Halo. I hate Halo, well only the 1 player missions. If there was no multiplayer, no one would play the game...and it has to be at least 2 on 2 or it's no fun at all.
Old 26-07-2004, 09:07 PM   Senior Registered Member #38
Spire
InSpire Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC117
I dont know if you have realized yet but Halo's cutscenes look exactly as the game play. (thats how it was in the first game) Where'd grand turismo and RE4 came in to the competition? hehe, i dont think the graphics on RE4 is any good. its all pictures in teh background. Half_life 2 is comparable but not other games...

Uh, no. Watch the RE4 video some time. RE4 isn't like the other Resident Evil games, everything in game is fully 3D. All those backgrounds you can move in and out of, you walk through a forest, your feet kick up the leaves, it's all done in real-time. RE4's graphics are insanely good, insanely good.

And Resident Evil produces all it's cutscenes with the ingame engine, just like Halo. Final Fantasy doesn't, but the FF cut scenes are spectacular, and really add to the plot points being shown through the cinematic cut scenes. I prefer cut scenes to the ingame scripted events used in Halo and other games anyday.
Old 26-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #39
MC117

i didn't mean to say that they are gay, what i meant was that the cutscences turn so good looking, and then when it ends, the gameplay doesn't look so good so it kinda sucks.
Old 27-07-2004, 12:50 AM   Senior Registered Member #40
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Just needed a second opinion on the screenshot, it just looked a little TOO good On the Rezi 4 mark, I think it will be the best in the series. Everyone who loved the makeover Capcom gave REmake, will enjoy quattro. I didn't like it how REmake and Zero had prerendered backgrounds, except for the fact they were beautiful, only in comparison to Splinter Cell's light and shadow, and now that id confirmed that some of the background for DOOM 3 will be prerendered, i don't know. I just takes me out of the experience for some reason. BTW, I think that the idea for in-engine cutscenes is a great idea, done superbly with Halo and MGS, but CGI cutscenes are not to be missed either (ninja gaiden, I'm talkin' to you)