Baseball History - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #21
Keira lover

he hit 756 yesterday. at first, i thought that was the number of injections of steriods he took per day.

47th Member of the Keira Knightley Posse
Keira lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:34 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #22
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

So the big man did, 756 Homeruns...thats about as much as the news stations covered it. Only time will tell how history judges him. I give him credit. But just how does this record stand up to other great sport records. Here are some other of the greatest record holders. How do you think they stand up to Barry Bonds Homerun record

Johnny Unitas 47 consecutive games with a touch down pass
Wilt Chamberlain 100 point game, Michael Jordan never even came close to breaking it.
Woody Stephans 5 consecutive Belmont Stakes victory's
Cy Young 511 wins in pitching
Nolan Ryan's 5,714 strike outs
Cal Ripken, Jr - 2,632 consecutive games played
Pete Rose - 4,256 hits
Feel free to add more if you think they are worthy of being listed as greatest sport records
Old 09-08-2007, 09:05 PM   Officer #23
Renegade
Stock Boy

I think Rose's record is unreachable. Maybe if Ichiro started out in the MLB at around age 20-22, he'd have a shot at breaking it. Anyone who can average over 200 hits for 20 or so years is godly.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #24
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I was in the Hard Rock Cafe @ Universal the night Bonds made the homer. A waiter threw a glass hard into the wall in digust, spraying the area with shrapnel. I laughed.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:02 PM   Senior Registered Member #25
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1511 View Post
I was in the Hard Rock Cafe @ Universal the night Bonds made the homer. A waiter threw a glass hard into the wall in digust, spraying the area with shrapnel. I laughed.
What a retard. I hope he was fired.

How could you be that upset, everyone fucking new it was going to happen, he was sitting on 755 for a while.

I hope Barry gets to 800. And it's clear that's it's only because of the steriods. It's a proven fact that steriods make you a better baseball player. That's why the thousands of players that took roids in the steriod era are breaking the homerun rec...oh wait, just Barry, cus he's one of the best players to take the field. With or without drugs.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:13 AM   Senior Registered Member #26
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby View Post
What a retard. I hope he was fired.

Actually, a lot of the other people working there congratulated the retard. Granted, it was almost midnight on the east coast, and the smell of weed was in the air, but still, it was a bit too much.
Old 14-08-2007, 02:16 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #27
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I think Rose's record is unreachable. Maybe if Ichiro started out in the MLB at around age 20-22, he'd have a shot at breaking it. Anyone who can average over 200 hits for 20 or so years is godly.
Same with Unitas' consecutive touchdown record. That's almost three solid seasons. If anyone does break it, I have a feeling he'll be wearing the same uniform.

I think Ripken's record is safe. Players don't play through pain the way they used to, and a lot of that has to do with money. Guys aren't willing to risk a big contract to be in the roster every day.
Old 14-08-2007, 02:41 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #28
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
Same with Unitas' consecutive touchdown record. That's almost three solid seasons. If anyone does break it, I have a feeling he'll be wearing the same uniform.

I think Ripken's record is safe. Players don't play through pain the way they used to, and a lot of that has to do with money. Guys aren't willing to risk a big contract to be in the roster every day.
Unitas's record is considered by some to be the greatest record of all time. No quarterback right now is even close to it. Ripkin's record is impressive but like you said todays players aren't willing to risk major injuries. The one record I think in unbreakable is 511 wins in pitching. Todays pitchers don't even pitch that many games in their careers.
Old 14-08-2007, 02:49 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #29
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman View Post
Unitas's record is considered by some to be the greatest record of all time. No quarterback right now is even close to it. Ripkin's record is impressive but like you said todays players aren't willing to risk major injuries. The one record I think in unbreakable is 511 wins in pitching. Todays pitchers don't even pitch that many games in their careers.
True. All of the hoopla seems to be reserved for getting to 300 wins.
The really amazing thing about Unitas' record is that it was basically four seasons worth of games. That's just incredible.