What movie have you seen today? - Page 51 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 15-02-2007, 06:16 AM   Senior Registered Member #1001
kingdumbass

OK, several days have gone by, and I've seen more movies....

The Notorious Betty Page....

A fairly standard biopic about iconic pin-up girl, Betty Page. It was made well enough, but nothing too impressive or inspiring. I did like what it had to say about decency standards and the human body.

2 out of 5.

Pan's Labyrinth.... (for the second time)

A beautiful work of art. I think it was the best film of 2006. The fact that it's in Spanish might SEEM like it holds the film back, but I'm sure that if it had been made by Hollywood, everything that makes this film special would have been taken out.

Everyone should see it.

Again, 5 out of 5.
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #1002
mongoose

I saw in the last 2 days Apocalipto ( really good one ) and Lucky Number Slevin (which was even better).

@kingdumbass you say Pan's Labyrinth is really good, but have you seen it on DVD or you got it downloaded from the net ?
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 01:04 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1003
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Marie Antoinette
Interesting use of visual imagery and 1980s music to tell her story. Sofia Coppolla has a very interesting style. Very little dialogue actually occurs over the course of the movie. Most of what is heard are off camera comments, which heightens the sense of her isolation amongst the French royal court.
Kirsten Dunst looks good wearing nothing but stockings and a fan.
Old 16-02-2007, 08:46 AM   Senior Registered Member #1004
kingdumbass

Lost in La Mancha....

A documentary that chronciles Terry Gilliam's disasterous attempt to make a film version of Don Quixote. Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong: actors got sick; it rained; military exercises disrupted filming....

I love Terry Gilliam, and I love learning about what it's like to make a movie, so I found this film to be very interesting.

3 out of 5.

April Fool's Day....

A crappy 80's horror movie about a chick who kills all of her friends. Not scary or shocking in any way, but campy enough to be mildly amusing.

2 out of 5.
Old 16-02-2007, 06:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #1005
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdumbass View Post

April Fool's Day....

A crappy 80's horror movie about a chick who kills all of her friends. Not scary or shocking in any way, but campy enough to be mildly amusing.

2 out of 5.
Yeah, that was pretty shitty.

I saw Birdman of Alcatraz the other night. Apparently, and what was really disappointing to learn, the character Burt Lancaster portrays, Robert Stroud, although based on a real person his demeanor was greatly toned down. According to some sources (guards and such) the real Stroud was often difficult and very much psychotic. Very different from the film. It is still a great movie though.

Also watched Philadelphia, which was very good if you care enough to watch a movie about a gay man dying of AIDS.

Last edited by Richard; 16-02-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 09:30 AM   Senior Registered Member #1006
kingdumbass

Be that as it may, I really liked The Birdman of Alcatraz....

Anyway, on to another review:

Marie Antionette....

A steaming pile of shit. Kirsten Dunst has proven herself to be a truly terrible actress...and this is coming from someone who was ROOTING for her. I had high hopes for her after Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. However, she's just plain bad in this film.

And the film ITSELF is just plain bad. There's simply nothing going on here. Not even the great Asia Argento and Rip Torn could save it.

Don't confuse style with substance.

1 out of 5.
Old 19-02-2007, 02:07 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1007
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

The Queen
Fantastic performance by Helen Mirren. I am confident that I have seen the "king" and "queen" of the Oscars. Very much enjoyed the film as a whole. The interplay of actual footage and staged footage was seamless, and made the film all the more compelling.

The Departed
If you like happy endings or have a crush on Leonardo DiCaprio, you might want to watch something else. Jarring, to say the least. Great dialogue and Nicholson is, well, Nicholson. He pretty much steals the show, but I have to admit, Matt Damon does pretty well in his scenes with his love interest.

Now, I yield to kingdumbass to tell you how bad they were.
Old 19-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #1008
KapiTa

The Silence of the lambs. I really love this film, it's gorgeous, and Jodie Fosteris gorgeous, and Anthony Hopkins and the director's work and the script- everything. I can watch it again and again!
Old 20-02-2007, 07:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #1009
kingdumbass

Quote:
Now, I yield to kingdumbass to tell you how bad they were.
How bad WHAT were?
The films you mentioned? I haven't seen The Queen, but I thought The Departed was fantastic. I even bought the DVD.

Anyway....

Roman Holiday....

A classic starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Audrey is a European princess who escapes her life of ceremony and duty to spend a fun-filled week with Peck.

I liked it a lot. A bit predictable, but definitely worth watching. Audrey Hepburn was so friggin' adorable, and Gregory Peck was one of the greatest actors the film industry ever had.

4 out of 5.
Old 20-02-2007, 07:25 AM   #1010
KapiTa

kingdumbass, yes, the film is great!! Audrey is wonderful.
At night saw Breakfast at Tiffany's :Hail:
Old 20-02-2007, 12:31 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1011
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdumbass View Post
How bad WHAT were?
The films you mentioned? I haven't seen The Queen, but I thought The Departed was fantastic. I even bought the DVD.
Marie Antoinette. I said it was interesting from a style standpoint and you said it was a steaming pile of shit.
Old 20-02-2007, 09:29 PM   Senior Registered Member #1012
michael22
eternally screwed

L.A. Confidential- how in the name of the holy shite of St. Dunstan and the hand grenade of antioch did this lose to TITANIC FOR BEST PICTURE!!!!!!!!
Old 20-02-2007, 09:53 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1013
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael22 View Post
L.A. Confidential- how in the name of the holy shite of St. Dunstan and the hand grenade of antioch did this lose to TITANIC FOR BEST PICTURE!!!!!!!!
No Celine Dion singing. Doomed it from the beginning. That, and a lack of Kate Winslet boobage.
L.A. Confidential is an excellent picture from start to finish. There are no flat characters, which is amazing when you consider the number of them in the film.
Old 21-02-2007, 12:44 AM   Senior Registered Member #1014
kingdumbass

Quote:
Marie Antoinette. I said it was interesting from a style standpoint and you said it was a steaming pile of shit.
Oh, he he....
I wasn't necessarily responding to what you wrote when I posted that. I do agree with you: the film IS stylish; but I still found it oddly offensive.
Old 21-02-2007, 03:47 AM   Senior Registered Member #1015
Richard
Dated

Audrey Hepburn was just about adorable in everything she ever did. And I've seen nearly all of her pictures. I don't think I can trust a man who doesn't care for her.

I watched the extended editions of the first two Lord of the Rings. I think the best way to express my opinion without sounding idiotic would be to say I simply did not care for it. I wanted to but it just didn't happen. I was unimpressed. They're good films, but severely overrated.

Something really bugs me though. Is it just me or does much of its box-office success lie with its HUGE fan base and the breathtaking effects? I mean, the battle sequences alone are visually impressive. No doubt about that. And one would think with all the success and critical praise these films have gathered over the past five or so years we would be in that rare territory we call brilliant filmmaking, right?... I wouldn't put these movies anywhere on my list of top 100. I'll rent the third and final part later in the week. I'm in no hurry.

Contact (1997)

imdb synopsis:
Contact, based on the novel of the same name by Carl Sagan, is the story of a free thinking radio astronomer (Jodie Foster) who discovers an intelligent signal broadcast from deep space. She and her fellow scientists are able to decipher the Message and discover detailed instructions for building a mysterious Machine.

This movie has been in my VHS collection since, hell, I don't know, 1998, and I just got around to watching it. A great movie about and beyond belief -- kept me on the edge of my seat (or in my case, bed). Just go see it.
Old 21-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #1016
KapiTa

Have just seen The Cider House Rules with Charlize Theron, Michael Caine and Tobey Maguire. I adore Lasse Hallstrom, his kind of directing. The stories he tells us usually are very ordinary, but he uses those imperceptible details and shows simple things contrarily. My favourite Lasse's film is Chocolat!
TCHR is a very kind and profound film. It's about a guy, who grow up in an orphan's home. He became a good person an everybody loved him, everybody was proud of him. One day a couple arrived to that place and the guy leaved his "home" to see the world, to fall in love and to find out what's his right place in the life.
It sounds not very interesting and may be silly because I just do not know enough words to convey my feelings)))

But I didn't like Maguire in this film for some reason. May be I would like to see smb else in this role.
Old 22-02-2007, 07:00 AM   Senior Registered Member #1017
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post
No Celine Dion singing. Doomed it from the beginning. That, and a lack of Kate Winslet boobage.
L.A. Confidential is an excellent picture from start to finish. There are no flat characters, which is amazing when you consider the number of them in the film.
You know who's a flat character? Lara Flyn Boyle! HIGH FIVE ME!
Old 22-02-2007, 04:06 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1018
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoby View Post
You know who's a flat character? Lara Flyn Boyle! HIGH FIVE ME!
Consider yourself high-fived, mi amigo.
Old 27-02-2007, 03:04 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1019
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Apparently I'm the only one watching movies.
Watched Star Wars - Episode IV with Taylor over the weekend. It was the first time she had seen the movie.

Watched The Dreamers last night. Interesting film about an American film buff and the French brother and sister he befriends in Paris during the late 1960s. Their father is a famous poet, and they live a very bourgeois life. Theo, the brother, searches for an identity opposite his father, and surrounds himself with pictures and statues of Mao. Matthew, the American, calls into question whether or not he really understands what is happening in Red China. It is apparent that he doesn't, and he winds up getting involved in a street demonstration involving red flags with the yellow hammer and sickle and Molotov cocktails.
All this is set against the erotic backdrop of the relationship, which borders on incestuous, between Isabelle and Theo. Isabelle spends a good deal of the film either nude, or in a gauzy, see through gown. Eva Green plays Isabelle, so it gets two thumbs up just for that.
Old 27-02-2007, 10:27 PM   Senior Registered Member #1020
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasselbrad View Post

Watched The Dreamers last night.
Great film. Should have won an Oscar in '03. Best Supporting Breasts.

Last edited by Jacoby; 01-03-2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: wrote "one, meant "won"...damn language.
Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote