KKW2007 "Dream7" Edition - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Administratum > KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues

KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues Anything relating to the website and forums themselves. You post it, we'll answer it.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:07 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #1
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Exclamation KKW2007 "Dream7" Edition

Jagshemesh!
This is the thread about the forthcoming 2007 edition of the KKW website. Because we're really poncy and like to feel all overimportant (especially Digital Ice ) it's got the codename "Dream7" (the current one is "Indigo" in case you didn't know)... because, well... we're on Dreamhost not and it's going to be 2007. Uh huh.

First of all I'll have to let you know I'm writing this from work since my local wireless co-op has gone tits up, so development has halted somewhat.

Why redesign?
It took a long time to get to this point, well over a year. I have an enormous dislike for all the other fansites that feel the need to redesign themselves entirely every other month - Indigo was supposed to be 'the end' as near as fathomable. Of course it never really works that way; bits and pieces slowly being added over time. I think that at the moment Indigo is a great design but it's become a bit messy and unwieldy. With the server move to Dreamhost, the necessity to rebuild portions of the site and with the new year coming, this was a good opportunity to redesign it.

Whassit Look Like?
Right now the beta is located at www.keiraknightley.com/dreambeta.php and I'd appreciate it if you didn't give out the address. As you can see it's more of a refurbishment than a redesign. Think of it as Indio the way it was always meant to be. I wanted to continue the recognisable Wavefront design (I think it has a certain branded feeling of its own) but strip it back to a more streamlined, efficient, elegant and good-looking design. Please let me know what you think about the layout. Streamlined is the key.

The Flash Menu
This might be a bone of contention for some people but let me explain. You might notice an uncanny similarity between the Flash menu and the Indio menu bar. To be honest I entirely lacked the skills to develop a Flash menu back in 2004 when Indigo was made. I knew what I wanted and how it was to look, but couldn't achieve it. So I made a poor-cousin GIF facsimile; that's what exists currently. Fast forward to October 2006 and I've acquired enough Flash testosterone to build the original menu. Huzzah.

As you can see it allows a good deal more information to be presented quite elegantly. I don't think its intrusive, overly animated or gratuitous in any manner. I think this is how Flash *should* be used - to subtly accent a design and aid with the efficient presentation of options. It's compatible with the lowliest versions of Flash, weighs in at only 12k and there's always the complementary Site Map if you get in trouble. Google has recently taken to indexing Flash menus too.

The Content
I'm eager to see that KKW2007 becomes more content-orientated. That is, presenting more stuff for our users. Right now we've got a fairly well-regarded site, but it's really just a sloppily maintained image gallery and a forum tied under a homepage and I'd like to change all that. For starters there's the new Wiki (you might not have been aware of it) which Ice and myself are slowly piecing together. We want it to be a central resource for the KK fan fraternity online, as well as a showpiece for our own community. We would discourage you from editing it until we have all the templates nailed.

In addition I'd like to develop some proper content pages; reproducing and archiving articles (could run to hundreds of pages), maybe some more esoteric pieces and comments. Maybe you might have some ideas about how to build our content?

When will it be ready?
Never on the promised date. We know that much. Obviously before January 1st, most likely to be around 20th November. Depends on a) how quickly I get this semesters papers done and b) whether my wireless starts working again.

Anything else?
You might have noticed a declining use of the word "Wavefront" recently. It's not accidental. Since acquiring keiraknightley.com permanently earlier in the year i'm eager to eventually see kkwavefront.org retired for simplicity (and google doesn't link multiple domain copies). References to Wavefront may be more tenuous in Dream7.

Can I help?
Yes, of course. You can do the following:
  • edit the Wiki when we're ready to roll for real.
  • collect, transcribe, write, copy, beg, borrow or steal any articles relating to Keira and process them into unstyled HTML pages before emailing to my regular address if you fancy.
  • fill gaps in our galleries by downloading images from other sources and compiling them into their own folders and FTPing them up to /media/albums (contact me if you don't have permission for this)
  • post insightful and engaging things on the forum (riiiight)
Really though, your comments are the best thing right now....
Old 03-11-2006, 10:33 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #2
Digital_Ice

and a bloody bitch its been too.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:59 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #3
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Ice did everything. I just watched. From a lilo. With a margherita. In the bahamas.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:40 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #4
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Jazz. We are liking.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:52 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #5
Oencross
Officer

Well isn't this a nice bit. I'll check through the galleries later this week and see if there is anything I can add. I still have a few sources that hang about. They generally have pictures that do not show up here. I haven't scanned on anything recently, nor do I plan on it, but if I come across pictures some HQ images, I will most certainly post.

Regards.
Oencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #6
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Well, the site went live yesterday for testing ahead of schedule. I'd gona about as far as I could without some kind of proper beta so it's there for all to see. Still about a week's worth of ironing-out to do (particularly on the galleries) but we'll get there soon. Let me know what you think and whether you encounter any problems!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
aspro

I don't know, but the grey background on the navigation menu looks a little… dark or something?

Also perhaps there is a way to get the menu to stop reanimating itself unless I move onto a 'option' that isn't currently selected? Currently if I mouse back over the current submenu it reanimates itself.

But other than those little things (which really arent that bad) great work guys!
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 03:49 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #8
Digital_Ice

give us a chance!!!!
Old 14-11-2006, 08:51 PM   Senior Registered Member #9
michael22
eternally screwed

really great job in the mean time. keep it up, I might help edit wiki I have an account
Old 14-11-2006, 10:06 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #10
Digital_Ice

yeah, if any regulars want to help add content to the wiki, feel free. but please note that it is subject to change as its not finalised, so don't come whining to me when your Jet's Favourite Ice Cream article gets removed.
Old 14-11-2006, 11:07 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #11
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

I'd Love to heip with the wiki
(if only I knew what wiki is)
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 01:08 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #12
Digital_Ice

...you know... that was ment as a subtle hint.... start editing people
Old 07-12-2006, 01:13 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #13
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

I'd like to issue an order for Senior Members to go and edit the fucking wiki!!!

Kind regards,

Baz

Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 AM   Senior Registered Member #14
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

*bites the bullet and registers to the wiki*

Though I'm still pretty confused even after reading the "Getting started" page hmm... Spose putting interesting quotes for the already made user pages would be nice...

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:14 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #15
Digital_Ice

...do you think its time to roll out the threats baz? hints didnt work, politeness didnt work, agression didnt work....

if you want to edit (or even if you don't) but are stuck for a place to start, why not create a page about a member you think deserves an honourable mention.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:47 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #16
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I guess it worked since I'm editing right now....
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:57 PM   Senior Registered Member #17
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Edited my page, don't really know what else to put hmm... Going to watch other member pages go up before editing some more I think.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #18
Digital_Ice

avoid editing your own. (cept for pictures, mistakes etc)

see Vanity Pages

edit the stubs, or create a needed article if you cant find something to do.

ooh, and we have a new KKWWiki Contributor epaulette

Last edited by Digital_Ice; 08-12-2006 at 12:44 AM.
Digital_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:41 AM   Senior Registered Member #19
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Aww but that'll make everything go slower by infinite times >_< *Vanity removed*

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 08-12-2006, 03:51 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #20
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Jet you should post a recent picture, or I'm using one from 2004 for your wiki page. Unless you look the same.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote