Schools? - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 20-07-2004, 09:32 PM   Senior Registered Member #21
gracie
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieHoops
God I could NEVER go to an all girls school. I would kill myself. Although I'm sure I could (sorry that's not meant to sound conceited), I don't date too much, so that's not the issue...but I LOVE my guy friends. It gives life a little variety! And plus, being in an all girls school seems very sheltering. Once you get into the real world there'll be guys around all the time.
er...how to explain all that is gracie. i have lots of guy friends, im just really close to all the girls i went to school with, not just a group of them, im not sheltered and im well educated. As poggs says
Andy says:
tell her that you get to shag loads of guys if you go to an all girls school

yes, that about sums it up.

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 09:39 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #22
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

Thanks for the direct quote there gracie
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 10:48 PM   Senior Registered Member #23
CFC
Lord Cock Inhaler

I have been at a private school since pre-school. I don't know if the experience is totally worth it. The academics are good, but then again the public schools around here offer the same courses. I have had some awsome teachers and I have had teachers that were not qualified to teach some courses. I guess the *best* thing is here they work you hard, really hard. I have friends at public schools in the sames classes as me but we are doing much more work. I am also ahead of them in some subjects because our school gives high school level classes starting in 7th and 8th grade.

This is the problem with my school: It is an isolated bubble. I would say atleast 90% of the kids that go there are you sterotypical upper class family. I am not gonna say my parents are not well off, but at my school it would seem so because there are plenty of kids who spend money like it is going out of style. (Example: A guy last year destroyed his new BMW, so his parents bought him a new honda.) There is also hardly any diversity. In my grade which is about 110 give or take a few, we maybe have 5 minorities.

I think public school would have been a better experience, but then again I don't have a choice were I go.
Old 20-07-2004, 11:18 PM   Senior Registered Member #24
Narg
Westie Yobbo

I went to one of the worst schools in my state, its a public school, its a fucking hole, the teachers dont know shit. I skipped most days and periods, and played video games instead of studied, shame really, but, hey these things happen, im just glad im out of that stinking hell hole.
Old 21-07-2004, 02:03 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #25
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Alrighty...I've been to a fair few schools in my time And it's quite a mix.

First off: State school (free...that's public for you Americans)...left due to getting into too many fights

Second off: State again...left because the Deputy Head was a cock. Was late once and made to report to him...after that I arrived 10 minutes early to report to him and the prick'd arrive late and then claim I was late Head stuck up for him so my mum told him to fuck his school (almost a direct quote that) and I left.

Third: Back to the first school for a bit before...

Fourth: Private School (yeah, it was called a private school...bloody Americans invading our language )...was alright I spose...good education and all...got into a fight with the principal's grandson which was cool.

Fifth: Took entrance exams for 5 private schools including two of the best in the country (Haberdashers Aske and Merchant Tailors, for those of you in the UK who know this sort of thing)...got into all 5...picked one...acted like a prick and my parents pulled me out.

6thtate...total shit...largely as my form tutor was an arse and I constantly told him where to shove it.

7th: Lived in India and went to a Private school there...actually comparatively impressive compared to UK education...Maths and Sciences were far advanced (at 13 I was doing stuff I then did again at GCSEs when I came back)...even English wasn't that bad.

8th: State again...same school as 6th...much better this time...new form...still had issues...stayed for 6th form and finally settled down into a proper school life.

After that LONG story...foot in both camps is probably best, but I think Baz's experiences are far better than mine...moving schools a lot is NOT good...but yah...private til you're 11 and then state seems the way to go...state school certainly teaches you a little more world smarts.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 03:10 AM   Senior Registered Member #26
frodo1511
Pin Dick

I've been to both, and I like the public schools better. But it really dosen't matter to me, as long as you do good, study, and every once in a while, listen to the teacher bullshit about something stupid.
Old 21-07-2004, 07:39 AM   Officer #27
Ashlyn
Militia Lieutenant

i went to a public school for seven years but when i started high school i decided to go to a private girls school. being at a girls school has been good i think, some of my friends who went on to public high schools got 'distracted' by all the guys and have now stuffed up in one way or another. the private system appears to be more disciplined but in terms of education i think that's a good thing. the public school i was at was great, if im still living round here i'd like to send my kids there. i think public education in primary school is a good idea - a lot of my friends who i've met at high school came from catholic primary schools and seem to have spent more time doing religous things (like confirmation or something) than learning what they needed to know for high school. i would say their primary education was definitely sheltered - a number of them found high school to be a bit of a shock in terms of the workload and what was required of them. in high school though, i wouldnt say we're sheltered at all and having no guys around isnt necessarily a bad thing, i have plenty of guy friends but i dont mind that i dont see them every day at school.
Ashlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 08:36 AM   #28
alby

US SCHOOLS

It depends on the neighborhood in which the school is located. Public schools in more affluent towns can and often are well funded, offer good facilities and teachers, and prepare you well for college. Even times of recession, your school won't be affected very much. Your school might even be better than the local private school.

Then again, if you go to an elite private school aka a feeder then you'll have the reputation and all of the benefits of a good public school and much more.

I went to prep school -- Andover -- and I loved it there. It's worth the experience I think. There's much more freedom to study what you want, but you do study hard. Also, the resources are phenomenal even without massive state aid.

However, you'll also find very bad public and private schools where drugs, violence, administrative indifference, and sexual abuse run rampant. No school is the same; it all varies (bylaws, amounts of state aid, reputation, donations, endowment, quality/commitment of teachers, condition of facilities, etc). The educational system here doesn't teach morals/ethics; you learn (or don't learn) that at home.

If you go to a mediocre public or private school, then, well, you're basically fucked, courtesy of the inadequate safeguards inherent in the American educational system.

As for Catholic schools, male students there have to watch out for potentionally shady priests...brave souls they are.
Old 21-07-2004, 10:05 AM   Senior Registered Member #29
Pygmalion
Pissed

I went to a public school for 5 years in primary, then my parents moved me cause I wasn't learning anything.
I'm STILL not learning anything, but i'm part of a close-knit group who look out for each other. The rules are strict but I'm used to them, and we still have fun, we just do weird things for kicks like spraying the fire extinguisher in somebody's studyroom while they're still in it, and covering the lino in the common room with detergent and skating on it, trying to let a guinea pig go in the library...stuff like that. And from experience girls from private schools have more confidence...
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 12:05 PM   Senior Registered Member #30
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

I went to a primary school from Prep to Year 6, then went to a private school from year 7, now in year 9. I don't find much difference, since my maths teacher in yr 6 was also the vice principal, and she could kick any of my current yr 9 teachers in maths. I liked primary more for the factor its co-educational. Most private schools in Victoria are one-sex.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #31
amishka

i went to both id take public over private, all my private ones were either run by a sister/nun or uptight choads
amishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 01:24 AM   Senior Registered Member #32
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Alrighty...I've been to a fair few schools in my time And it's quite a mix.

First off: State school (free...that's public for you Americans)...left due to getting into too many fights

Second off: State again...left because the Deputy Head was a cock. Was late once and made to report to him...after that I arrived 10 minutes early to report to him and the prick'd arrive late and then claim I was late Head stuck up for him so my mum told him to fuck his school (almost a direct quote that) and I left.

Third: Back to the first school for a bit before...

Fourth: Private School (yeah, it was called a private school...bloody Americans invading our language )...was alright I spose...good education and all...got into a fight with the principal's grandson which was cool.

Fifth: Took entrance exams for 5 private schools including two of the best in the country (Haberdashers Aske and Merchant Tailors, for those of you in the UK who know this sort of thing)...got into all 5...picked one...acted like a prick and my parents pulled me out.

6thtate...total shit...largely as my form tutor was an arse and I constantly told him where to shove it.

7th: Lived in India and went to a Private school there...actually comparatively impressive compared to UK education...Maths and Sciences were far advanced (at 13 I was doing stuff I then did again at GCSEs when I came back)...even English wasn't that bad.

8th: State again...same school as 6th...much better this time...new form...still had issues...stayed for 6th form and finally settled down into a proper school life.

After that LONG story...foot in both camps is probably best, but I think Baz's experiences are far better than mine...moving schools a lot is NOT good...but yah...private til you're 11 and then state seems the way to go...state school certainly teaches you a little more world smarts.
You were a delinquent? Well you learn something new everyday. I most certainly hope you learned your lesson. :icon_err:
Old 23-07-2004, 12:29 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #33
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Delinquent? Not quite...I was eventually head boy at my last school, despite having been on report for most of my time there .

Not to blow my own trumpet but I was an advanced kid but lazy as hell...Private School at least challenged me for the first time in my life but I still had difficulties settling in, had issues with work ethic (but getting better), making friends (always a problem with me...quelle suprise) and also the fees were kinda tough for my parents to pay...they could afford it but they expected results to show for it...fair enough I spose .

Clever but lazy would be an apt way to describe me as a kid. Now I think just lazy will do
Old 23-07-2004, 02:02 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #34
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Haz, you were only head boy because they kept you back so many years that you were the only 16 year old in Prep.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 09:03 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #35
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrington
Haz, you were only head boy because they kept you back so many years that you were the only 16 year old in Prep.
Shh you...I told you that in private
Old 23-07-2004, 10:27 PM   #36
Object Of Affection

i went to a public secondary school, but i mean does it really pay off when you have lovely rich parents that send you to private school i don't think so. There's a kid down the cinema who went to "private school" and has ended down here working full-time

Had to check are results like (apoggy)

That is are school one i left 2002 (i thought we did better then that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/933_4451.stm

And this is are college one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/933_8006.stm
Old 20-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #37
ekoston
Newcomer

Definitely private schools as class sizes in a private boarding high school are much smaller than elsewhere and with the staff living on campus there is far more time and opportunity to tutor the students and supervise their homework sessions. Some sessions are mandatory and held under teacher supervision. Visit this site to know more.
ekoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 02:40 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #38
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

Fair play for bumping a 7 year old thread!
Old 18-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #39
SiennaMathew
Newcomer

Public schools recruit qualified teachers, so that the students could get better education. Also the discipline level in the public schools is in top level compared to private schools.
SiennaMathew is offline   Reply With Quote