What is truly SEXY? - Page 4 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > Keira Girls > Relationships & Sexuality

Relationships & Sexuality Advice? I-Told-You-So's? Confusion? Rabid Parents? Stick it in here and smoke it. Boys welcome too!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 03:27 AM   #61
dave
Member
 
dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 8000 feet up in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 271
I apologize

I apologize.

What I mean to say is that two very important qualities that make a person "sexy" for me are "attractiveness" and "intelligence".

Beyond that, I think it is unfair for people who are only "attractive" or "intelligent" to make jokes about people who may not be as "attractive" or "intelligent" as they, themselves are.

So, a third quality of a "Sexy" person is that they are "compatible" with other people, they are "fun to be around". You feel "safe" in having them as friends, you know they won't criticize you when you aren't there.

So:
1) attractive (different strokes for different folks... What looks good to me might not "rock your boat".)
2) intelligence (I love Chess, and card games, Spades, Hearts, Pinochle, Bridge. It takes some intelligence to beat me. You should be able to beat me occasionally.
3) Friendship (She should like me.)
4) There is a relativistic time-related part of this that is there as well. One time I might look across the room at you and you would be the object of all of the "Sexy" things I've ever desired, and another time you would be just there, and I'd look away, unfulfilled.

So, "availability" is also part of "Sexy". While "Chiana" (i.e. Gigi Edgely) is "Sexy" because she is part of my "Farscape fantasy world", Gigi Edgely, herself, is not as "Sexy"; though as aCliff would say, she is "Attractive". But because I could never know her, she isn't quite "Sexy", merely "Attractive".

I guess those five are all "Real World" based. There is a "suspension of belief" quality which is part of being in "Fantasy Mode".

In "Fantasy Mode", Chiana is Sexy, (and "perhaps" attainable) as are the heroines that Keira (whom I've never met, and probably never will) the heroines that Keira plays in her movie roles.

"Inara" (Morena Baccarin in "Firefly" & "Serenity" ) is Sexy. I attribute qualities to these ladies in my fantasies that make them "Sexy". When I meet them (should I ever meet them,) I must verify (in my mind) whether those qualities actually exist.

So, there is a difference in what makes a person "Sexy" in a fantasy world and in "The Real World". You want proof? Read books. If "Sexy" was the same in the real world as it is in fantasies, then no fictional character could ever be "Sexy". Wonder Woman is not Sexy. Neither is "Emma Peel" of "The Avengers"... Nor are any of "The Bond Women" in any of the forty James Bond Novels...
__________________
Dave

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#

Last edited by dave; 06-01-2006 at 08:46 PM. Reason: There's more, because I didn't say it as well as I'd hoped.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:10 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #62
acliff
llama llama duck
 
acliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,818
I think some people are thinking too hard.

Intelligence is for me a prerequisite. If they are not smart, then I know I'm going to be frustrated and irritated a great deal of the time. That makes me a snob, I'm ok with that. And through that, I can understand the urge of joining an organisation where there is a base level of intelligence. I wasn't trying to imply people at mensa were stupid, far from it. In my opinion however, they should spend far less time blowing their own trumpets and instead doing something useful with their god given talents, say, cure cancer, eliminate HIV, send men to mars, etc. Make mensa an organisation for doing something productive and useful? Could it be? I'd bet that far fewer people would join.

Actresses can be sexy on screen, as they are acting the role to be so. They can be sexy off the screen, and due to their PR and stylist people its not that difficult. Characters in books can be sexy as they are written to be so.
Inara (Monica Baccharin) is sexy on screen. She also happens to be smokingly hot. And as her screen persona is the only place you've seen her before, her image is sexy in your memory. She might be dull as stamps in real life, but my perception of her is that she's sexy.
Simple conclusion, I'd do her without any hesitation.

Oh, I almost had a brain haemorrage trying to read though all the speech marks.
__________________
Leave a message...
acliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #63
dave
Member
 
dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 8000 feet up in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
I think some people are thinking too hard.
<snip>In my opinion however, they should spend far less time blowing their own trumpets and instead doing something useful with their god given talents, say, cure cancer, eliminate HIV, send men to mars, etc. Make mensa an organisation for doing something productive and useful? Could it be? I'd bet that far fewer people would join.
Why do you have this opinion? Perhaps ten minutes wasted reading Mensa's Home Page would help, or if you learned that Isaac Asimov used to be one of the poster children for Mensa.

I'm curious about something that you imply. I don't actually believe that a person with a high IQ should be locked into some sort of public service job, (just because some test somewhere said he was smarter... [one of the things about Mensans that most people don't know is that a huge proportion of Mensans are in prison, or driving a truck.]) So, if Mensans should be doing "Public Service" stuff, What should "Sexy People" be doing? Running Strip Clubs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
Actresses can be sexy on screen, as they are acting the role to be so. <snip> Characters in books can be sexy as they are written to be so.
If an actress "can be sexy on screen", or an author can write a sexy character in a book, it should be possible for that actress or author (or even you) to describe the "rules of Sexuality" which make that performance or character "Sexy", n'est pas?

So, one more time. What is "Sexy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
Oh, I almost had a brain hemorrhage trying to read though all the speech marks.
Try reading them aloud. I was taught that punctuation is to aid in the reader's understanding what I meant them to hear. As though I spoke the words to them in a conversation. And yes, I have been accused of "making up" my own punctuation.
__________________
Dave

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:41 AM   Officer #64
DragonRat
Officer
 
DragonRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Posts: 507
I think it's pretty meaningless to discuss what truly defines sexiness. It's like the blind men and the elephant: you're all poking and feeling certain aspects of the great beast, but you're going nowhere with the totality of its definition.

If one were to use the equation as such (since it's useless to state that any one of those traits would synecdochically be "sexy"):

sexiness = attractiveness + intelligence + compatibility

Then here one must believe that, if both attractiveness and intelligence are subjective qualities to the observer, then so must sexiness. There can be no true objectivity to sexiness, since, as the cliche goes, it's in the eye of the beholder.

(For the sake of further argument, I'll remove compatibility. Many incredibly sexy women can never be compatible with me - due to financial concerns, spatial constraints, personality clashes, etc. And, indeed, after so many years of marriage, if one can still think of their companion as "sexy", then more power to them. As C.S. Lewis considered, marriage becomes less about attraction and more about companionship. Does the knowledge that somebody in the world is absolutely compatible with you, make that person much sexier - or rather, more attractive? The distinction is in the manner, in which those words are used. Compatibility, in a sense, could be emotional attractiveness.)

How could one objectively describe attractiveness, though? I attempted, but my so-called theory of beauty (in terms of physical nature alone) was ignored for the sake of inward beauty, which could mean intelligence, compatibility, attitude, personality. And yet, what is intelligence? What makes it sexy? Why does a good sense of humor impress someone? What about it makes it "sexy"?

One could say that intelligence - in this case specifically, a sense of humor - is attractive. It's not physical attraction, but mental attraction. In essence, one could then drop the entire idea of intelligence. If intelligence is mental attractiveness, and compatibility emotional attractiveness, then the equation is reduced to

sexiness = attractiveness (physical, mental, emotional)

But, someone would say that not all sexiness is physical. But neither is it completely mental or emotional. Indeed, what should define sexiness is some mixture of all three (or any other variables of attraction not included). Since it's subjective, that heterogeneous mixture will be different for all people. So what is truly sexy cannot be necessarily true; it can be contingently true for the individual, however.

Then again, isn't the above equation circular in its reasoning? What defines sexy? Being attractive. What defines being attractive? Having physical, mental, and emotional qualities that, when combined, equal somebody's being sexy. I think it's just begging the question, is all.

So, what is truly sexy? It's a stupid question, now that the discussion been reduced to ad hominem and pointing the merits (or lack thereof) of Mensa membership. Oh, and by the way, I still think Kurt Russell married Goldie Hawn for more than just brains. (And Kate Hudson? She's a product of damn good genes, rather than high IQ.)

Sexy is as sexy does, no?
__________________
"I like refried beans. That's why I want to try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good, and we're just wasting time." - Mitch Hedberg (1968-2005)

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:57 AM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #65
Leonie
Elle
 
Leonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 2,631
One very easy example to show that sexiness is indeed ├╝bersubjective: Orlando Bloom.

Girls swoon over that guy, and I honestly don't get what it is they see. Judging from the Orlando Bloom love/hate thread we had on KKW sometime, I'm not the only girl who thinks he's pretty average, yet others are convinced he is the definition of sexy. If there is indeed a blueprint for sexy; all girls on the planet would have to agree on the (lack of) sexiness of Mr I Was Pretty Good In LOTR As Long As I Didn't Speak. Not the case.
Leonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #66
dave
Member
 
dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 8000 feet up in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRat
I think it's pretty meaningless to discuss what truly defines sexiness. It's like the blind men and the elephant: you're all poking and feeling certain aspects of the great beast, but you're going nowhere with the totality of its definition.

If one were to use the equation as such (since it's useless to state that any one of those traits would synecdochically be "sexy"):

sexiness = attractiveness + intelligence + compatibility
sexiness = attractiveness + intelligence + compatibility + propinquity (Unless in "Fantasy Mode" where it is OK to say that someone not in the same room is "Sexy".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRat
Then here one must believe that, if both attractiveness and intelligence are subjective qualities to the observer, then so must sexiness. There can be no true objectivity to sexiness, since, as the cliche goes, it's in the eye of the beholder.
OK, I have a problem with "third party" statements. I find that by NOT attributing statements people have a tendency to think that their "pronouncements" gain "weight" in the argument. Since you can only speak from your viewpoint, do so. Don't speak for me. What you just said would then become:

You must believe that since I am the only person who can judge attractiveness and intelligence then I also must be the only person who can judge "Sexiness". There can not be a general quality of "Sexiness" because I am the only one who can judge whether something is sexy.

Clearly your argument is flawed. Both Attractiveness and Intelligence are not subjective qualities. (i.e. You are not the judge, I am not the judge, We might be if we can agree...)

Since your very first premise is wrong, everything which you posited as following from that premise is nonsense. You are not the judge of what is "Sexy". "Sexy is real, and outside you." You learn what is Sexy, probably from your peer group. You learn it from sources outside yourself. "Nurture, not Nature".

Back in 1954 "Elvis" was Sexy, in the seventies Gene Simmons of "Kiss" was. So, "Sexy" is a moving concept, a group concensus related to When and Where you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRat
(And Kate Hudson? She's a product of damn good genes, rather than high IQ.)
Goldie used her intelligence to choose the father. Goldie used her intelligence to raise Kate Hudson to be the woman she is. . To say that Kate is merely the product of good genes isn't enough to get past my contention that Kate is whom she is because she is a product of Goldie's "intelligent design." (pun intended.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRat
Sexy is as sexy does, no?
sexiness = attractiveness + intelligence + compatibility + propinquity + actions (Unless in "Fantasy Mode" where it is OK to say that someone not in the same room is "Sexy".)
__________________
Dave

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#

Last edited by dave; 07-01-2006 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Comparing Elvis And Kiss
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:45 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #67
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree
 
barrington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,121
What is truly sexy? me.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #68
MrPink
Member
 
MrPink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 173
to be honest, normality is wat does it for me.the normal girls. not the obvious run of the mill mega babe. those girls who, at first, don't stand out but the more time u spend with them and the better u get to know them the sexier they become. it's like the curtains in fron of your eyes have been open. the day u realise that a girl is in fact sexy (in your opinion of course) is the most enlightening feeling, for me at least.
__________________
A true friend stabs you in the front
MrPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #69
acliff
llama llama duck
 
acliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPink
to be honest, normality is wat does it for me.the normal girls. not the obvious run of the mill mega babe. those girls who, at first, don't stand out but the more time u spend with them and the better u get to know them the sexier they become. it's like the curtains in fron of your eyes have been open. the day u realise that a girl is in fact sexy (in your opinion of course) is the most enlightening feeling, for me at least.
Da general tone of da thrd has bin takn down a notch or 2.
__________________
Leave a message...
acliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:07 AM   #70
dave
Member
 
dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 8000 feet up in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico
Posts: 271
A woman of mystery might even be a mystery to herself. Ah! Sweet unknowable woman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPink
to be honest, normality is what does it for me.the normal girls. not the obvious run of the mill mega babe. those girls who, at first, don't stand out but the more time u spend with them and the better u get to know them the sexier they become. it's like the curtains in front of your eyes have been opened. the day u realise that a girl is, in fact, sexy (in your opinion of course) is the most enlightening feeling, for me at least.
One of the things I so loved in my ex-wife was that she was "drop dead gorgeous" and she didn't know it. She had never realized how beautiful she was.

There is another thing. (But it may just be me.) I could not then, nor can I now, describe her to you. Or can I bring up an image of her in my mind. (I've never told anybody that. I've never had this conversation with anyone else. [for one thing, I think they would all lie about this] ) I think this is part of the reason I wanted to spend all my time with her. She put the "beauty" in my world. When she was gone, the "beauty" was too.

Quote:
sexiness = attractiveness( + Beauty = + humbleness (self effacement) + intelligence) Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" & "Roman Holiday" , James Dean in "Rebel Without a Cause" , Rebecca Romijn in Femme Fatale
+ compatibility Man of La Mancha
+ propinquity Splash!
+ actions Nicole Kidman as "Satine" in "Moulin Rouge" Which Moulin Rouge character are you?

(Unless in "Fantasy Mode" where it is OK to say that someone has any missing quality) Goldie/Wendy, Gail, & Nancy in "Sin City"
__________________
Dave

%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
"Le uova non devono ballare con le pietre."
"Eggs have no business dancing with stones" from the movie "Shoot 'Em Up"
%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#

Last edited by dave; 08-01-2006 at 02:20 AM. Reason: putting in the links to make the story more complete.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #71
once_dreaded
Member
 
once_dreaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon, USA. Greenest state in the union, sorry Washitonians :oP
Posts: 448
Sexy....

Okay, Angelina Jolie is sexy. My bro-in-law isn't attracted to her and wanted to know why I was, my answer - extreme confidence, she believes in herself and she KNOWS that she's wanted, she drips sexuality and sexiness without effort...she makes you drool because she is a dom and knows it...she is the master of all things sexy....and I'd gladly be her submissive little slave led to the alter for butchering, why...cuz she'd do it without a second thought LOL.

Okay, real world sexy - a person who is confident, flirtatious, and knows how to rock a "wife-beater" and faded blue jeans. I love me a woman in a tank top and blue jeans...bare foot...leaning in a doorway with the sun behind her...her shadow lengthening across the hardwood floor...okay...enough *cracking up*
once_dreaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #72
Jessie T
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 67
Sexy men: Brad Pitt, George Clooney.

Sexy women: Keira Knightley, Angelina Jolie.

Why? If I knew, should be written "ME" above line.
Jessie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
By appointment to HM Keira Knightley.