Cheating - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > Keira Girls > Relationships & Sexuality

Relationships & Sexuality Advice? I-Told-You-So's? Confusion? Rabid Parents? Stick it in here and smoke it. Boys welcome too!

Old 14-07-2004, 10:04 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #1
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Cheating

I was listening to "Scotty Doesn't Know", and although it's one of the funniest songs I've ever heard, I think it's sad and so I was thinking about it. In Newsweek last week, the cover article was about how more and more women are having affairs, and today on AOL is a very similar article. I would like to know your opinions on those who cheat on the person they are with, whether you think it's okay under certain circumstances, do you cheat, etc. Stuff like that. We needed a new thread for this board.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 10:59 PM   Senior Registered Member #2
Pygmalion
Pissed

Well I cheated on my current partner and still regret it.
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 11:08 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #3
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I'm TOTALLY against cheating on someone, I think it's so disrespectful. One guy a few months ago that I was really interested in cheated on his girlfriend with me, but I didn't know it. We'd hung out a few times, and we were really attracted to each other then...some stuff happened...and afterwards, he said, "My girlfriend would kill me if she found out I cheated on her." Yeah, I left after that, and never talked to him again. It still makes me feel gross when I think about it.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Pinkfairy

My boyfriend recently cheated on me. He says he was drunk and he's sorry. I am sure he is because the other girl is really ugly. So I wanted to know why guys would do that. I, too, would like to know why people would cheat on their girlfriends/boyfriends. I really can't think of a reason, but I often ask myself why. I don't know if I should get back with him, cause he seems really sorry, but he might do ot again.
Pinkfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 01:02 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Ok...well...we all know lust is a natural human response, so I don't think anyone should be condemned for having lust towards someone other than their partner. But I do believe in the following:

1) Looking is one thing, as is flirting, but cheating is wrong per se, as it's disrespectful and hurtful. It's just plain wrong. No ifs, no buts, if you love someone, you don't cheat.

2) If you do fancy someone else and see no future for your current relationship, have the decency to break it off first.

3) If you haven't had the decency to do so, or had a moment of weakness where you gave into temptation (and as humans, we're all prone to mistakes so let's not be too harsh here...) at least have the decency to THEN be honest about it with your partner.

4) Lying about it does not make it hurt any less, as eventually the truth will out and having a partner hate you is far better for THEM than having them become so distrustful because of the lies that their future relationships are ruined. Sod what's easy for you for a change, do the right thing by your partner, especially if you claim to love them.

5) For me it's only morally bad for the person who has the partner, not the other party...they are, in my view, under no moral obligation to not go with a person who has a partner...it's the one with the commitment who is under an obligation to do the right thing. Perhaps it's a little selfish and disrespectful to the person's partner, but sod it, it's a dog-eat-dog world and we all have to be a little selfish when it comes to third parties who we don't really give a rat's arse about.

(This is sort of a rushed post so if I think of anything else, I'll edit it)
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 03:03 AM   #6
Pinkfairy

You're right Haz. My ex boyfriend broke #1,2, and 3. The truth did come out, but he still won't explain exactly what happened because he claims he was drunk. I don't know what to believe anymore. I know that when I get drunk, I don't remember a thing the next day (which is why I don't drink that much now) but I do know that I never cheated on him so it means that however drunk a person is, you still have a vague idea of what you're doing. And the third party really isn't to blame, but knowing how much it hurts someone I know I'd never get involve with someone with a partner.

Last edited by Pinkfairy; 18-07-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 15-07-2004, 03:57 AM   Senior Registered Member #7
Pygmalion
Pissed

I've got with people other than my gf, but I've only cheated on her once-if that makes sense lol. We're in sort of an open relationship.
She doesn't mind if when I'm drunk I get with other people so long as I tell her because she knows I don't love THEM. I don't do it anymore though, out of respect to her and because I don't have any inclination to anymore.
But the last time it was with her best friend and I feel like the most heinous horrible perosn for doing it. She was REALLY flirting with me and I know thats not an excuse. It was ONE kiss and I feel terrible just thinking about it...
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 04:26 AM   Senior Registered Member #8
Spire
InSpire Me

I haven't had a real chance to cheat.

How fucking sad is that.
Old 15-07-2004, 06:04 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire

How fucking sad is that.
Almost as sad as me. But, I agree with Hazzle on this subject. We've dicussed it before. Haz got it right.
Old 15-07-2004, 07:32 AM   Officer #10
DragonRat
Officer

I don't believe it's sad that you never got a chance to cheat. Besides, what would happen IF you had the chance? Would you go ahead and do it? What propels people to cheat on their current relationship exactly? It's for those who have never been in a relationship, simply to wonder. And it's rather interesting to notice how many times, cheating can involve alcohol.

I, for one, have never been in a relationship, though most of my friends would admit one of two things: 1) I'm in serious need of a girlfriend; or 2) I would be absolutely loyal to a girlfriend, if I ever had one. And that is probably true. To me, a relationship is binding, unless it is broken up by one of the parties, in a discussion. It's about deciding for oneself what is most appropriate for our society - honesty and loyalty to another, or betrayal and injustice. (Even now, part of my heart belongs to another across the pond - albeit with a possibly false hope - and I cannot bring myself to let go of it. In a way, at this period in my life, I could never consider anyone else, and any relationship elsewhere I could never give my entire attention. Maybe that's just me.) I could never live with myself, if I cheated on someone; it simply isn't right.

No matter how horny you are, or how attractive the third party is, it is, however, all up to the person to act upon their thoughts.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 08:54 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #11
acliff
llama llama duck

A scary thought:

On a fairly recent study into children with bone marrow cancer, for bone marrow transplants they need DNA matches.
They took DNA samples from their fathers as it should have been a match.
Out of 100 children it was found that 31 of the children did not share the DNA of their fathers. Not only was this terrible for the children who needed a different donor for bone marrow, this suggests that approx a 1/3 of the wives cheated on their husbands and raised the ensuing child.

When I read this in a scientific journal, I was mortified to say the least.
Old 15-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #12
alby

My thoughts on cheating: Yeah, don't do it. You should just end your relationship since you hate it so much.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 01:32 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #13
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

I've never cheated and never been cheated upon.
I like to think that's good karma in action.

Don't do it kids.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 04:15 PM   Senior Registered Member #14
ryan

id break up with the person if i was tempted to cheat on them.
i'd like to think i'd never cheat on anyone, but i shouldn't say never. things always change.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 07:39 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #15
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acliff
A scary thought:

On a fairly recent study into children with bone marrow cancer, for bone marrow transplants they need DNA matches.
They took DNA samples from their fathers as it should have been a match.
Out of 100 children it was found that 31 of the children did not share the DNA of their fathers. Not only was this terrible for the children who needed a different donor for bone marrow, this suggests that approx a 1/3 of the wives cheated on their husbands and raised the ensuing child.

When I read this in a scientific journal, I was mortified to say the least.
That is so horrible and sad. First off, I don't think of myself as the cheating type anyways, but I definitely wouldn't be having an affair when my husband and I, or my boyfriend and I, were trying to have a baby. And if I *was* (for some evil reason) having an affair and did end up pregnant, I would like to think that I would be completely honest about the situation with both parties and fix it ASAP. In the situation that Cliff brought up, that must be absolutely heartbreaking for the guys who are discovering their DNA doesn't match who they think are their own children's. They're already possibly losing their child, then to find out the kid might not even be theirs. That's sad.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 02:02 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #16
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Ok...several points.

First is merely technical. A few double posts on here...try and avoid that if you can, eh?

Second is in relation to DR's comments. Totally agree mate...you know my views on this and other stuff...and I certainly agree with point 1) And the love across the pond thing...

Thirdly...good for you Bazzle but sadly it doesn't always work that way.

Fourthly...ryan's right, I agree...rather break it off than cheat.

Now...to focus more on Princess' comments as they were more direct.

Yes, cheating online is cheating...I caught my dad cheating on my mum online, and I sure as hell think of him as cheating on her...cheating isn't about the sex so much as the sharing of intimacy, however it's shared...even if it's a chat about really close intimate feelings.

On the point of honesty, I didn't think it's selfless, just the better option. Because eventually the truth will always come out, and I think hearing the ENTIRE neighbourhood talking about it is bound to hurt the person more? Especially if they join IN the gossip before knowing who it is that's being talked about. Total honesty will at least allow the other partner to move on, and I would guess the distrust would be less than if the spouse has been strung along for say 3 or 4 years...I mean surely you'd feel like a fool and begin to blame yourself for not seeing it? I dunno, never been through it, but I've always felt honesty full stop to be a good trait...I'm honest 99% of the time...of course the odd white lie takes up that 1% as it's a sad reality of life we all have to lie to get by, like why you were late for a job interview (it's never because you overslept, but because the trains cocked up).

Sorry, but yeah, what you did with that guy...that's cheating in my book. It's not my place to judge you, but just saying if I was your spouse I'd think it cheating. Sure it hurt him but undoubtably he could have found out another way and it might've been even more hurtful. True, if you can honestly say there was NO way anyone else you know could've seen you two together, or overheard the conversation or anything like that, then yeah, perhaps you might be able to say lying was better, but I'm not entirely sure even then. For me honesty is a cornerstone of any relationship, as is trust, and respect. Sadly you broke the last one (there really wasn't mutual respect in cheating), and you broke the bond of trust (hence the hurt caused to him), but at least you CAN say you were honest...without that your relationship would've lost all three key components, and for me that's a dead relationship.

Ahh...you think my views are the result of regrets? No...I've never had a relationship of any kind...so I suppose it's easy for me to say "I'd never cheat"...but I honestly believe I've waited so long for a relationship that once I found it, I'd never want to waste it by cheating. I'd rather break the relationship off and know I handled myself with honour and treated my partner with respect and dignity. Of course this is all a hypothesis I undoubtably will never get to test as no woman would be bonkers enough to have me
Old 18-07-2004, 12:12 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #17
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Women are whores, why lie?
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 12:27 AM   #18
Pinkfairy

I'd have to agree with Hazzle again.
I would have respected the guy more if he had been honest with me from the beginning instead of having to find outa month later from other people.
I believe there are guys who would break it off rather than cheat. It really is a personal decision that defines your personality. This guy isn't really bad, and he didn't mean to do it, and I believe him, but he still lied to me.
The fact that he was drunk might make him a bit less guilty, i don't know, but he still lied.
And I think cheating online is still cheating when it's something you haven't bothered to let your partner know of (guilt) and something he/she wouldn't appreciate it (it's lying).
Old 18-07-2004, 02:57 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #19
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess
Hazzle,

You've never had a relationship of any kind... who wants to be alone? I sure don't want to be...I think we all wouldn't mind having someone we totally adore in our lives.
Bah...loneliness rules...well ok...it doesn't...but meh...may as well get used to it...it's certainly better than hope...because with hope comes disappointment without fail...me? Pessimistic? NEVER!!!

Quote:
Btw...studies on cheating are typically surveys which rely on person's SELF-REPORTing of cheating. If men are reporting (acknowledging) more cheating than women, this could also indicate that men are more likely than women to ADMIT to cheating.
That's one reason why the stats come out the way they do.

Quote:
I believe it's Anne Hooper, who authors books on sex, etc., who said a key difference between men and women is that men see ONE thing in many women... women see MANY things in one man. That's her theory, not mine, but I can see the truth in it. They simply see more women as postential sexual partners...?
And that's the other. Men still have the neanderthal urge within them to sow their wild oats...it's why we have mid-life crises, in part. Whereas women have traditionally had the mindset of seeking one partner to settle down and have children with. Of course over the years women have become sexually liberated and therefore feel freer to pursue and explore things...thus women feel more "able" to have affairs...that said the traditional mindset of being a wife and a mother plays its role too, hence women often have longer lasting affairs with less men, but men will often cheat more often with more women and have shorter (often one-night stands) affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula
Women are whores, why lie?
Blunt as always

Ducky should be a diplomat to represent British interests abroad...he wouldn't last long in the job but the results would be hilarious. I could quite imagine him going to the Saudis whilst discussing military relations and asking "Why do you all wear tea-towels on your heads?"
Old 07-08-2004, 01:08 AM   #20
keira_lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire

How fucking sad is that.
I feel your pain Spire.

44th member of Keira Knightley's Posse
keira_lover is offline   Reply With Quote