What movie have you seen today? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 19-07-2005, 07:50 PM   Senior Registered Member #1
Richard
Dated

What movie have you seen today?

As promised, at least I can count on myself to keep this thread alive. That also means I'm going to double post sooner or later. This should be a cool topic (I see no reason why it won't be), and it let's us know which movies to avoid. Give your opinions as well as your rating for each film you see and care to mention.
Old 19-07-2005, 07:58 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #2
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

Fantastic Four

What a stinker
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 09:09 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

***Caution-Spoilers for this side of the pond***

I haven't seen any movies today, but I watched The Hole Sunday night, starring some girl named Keira Knightley...maybe you've heard of her? The "holes" in the story were sort of distracting.

****Warning****Spoilers****Warning****Spoilers**** Warning****

-Liz would have never been allowed to go home after her stay at the hospital. There were three dead bodies in the bunker, one of which was an obvious homicide and another who was impaled on the ladder Liz used to escape. I'm not a detective, but I'm pretty sure they would have had their suspicions and would probably have charged her with at least an accessory.

-Mike kills Jeff when he hears him open a soda that he's been hording. This is after Jeff has complained of severe dehydration (and drank urine). That doesn't make sense. Was he going to wait until he died to drink them?

-Skeleton key? WTF? That lock could have picked with Keira's pinkie. Faced with the prospect of death by dehydration, I doubt that lock would have stood up to much picking before popping open.

-Martyn goes to his accusers house, winds up in the river and nobody thinks that odd? They just chalk it up to suicide? Seems like pretty shoddy detective work to me.

-Somehow, I doubt that a girl who was so obsessed with a boy could pull off such a cunning crime. She seems to go from pathetic obsession to calculating criminal pretty quickly. Cursory knowledge of the delusional mind reveals their inability to see a plan to fruition, which is what happened when Mike died. If she hadn't been delusional, she could have played off beating on the hatch and then...omigosh, it opened...rather than telling him that she had the key. However, the delusional mind is also incapable of the calculation needed to pull that sort of deception off, which, in turn, makes it all the more unlikely that she would have been able to get away with the crime as she did.

I know I'm thinking too much, but it felt like they were trying too hard to pull off a Usual Suspects type of mystery; where the real killer gives misleading clues to derail the investigation.
They failed.

Sorry if I ruined it for anyone who hasn't seen it.
I have it on tape if anyone wants it.
Old 19-07-2005, 09:15 PM   Senior Registered Member #4
Ashley

Moulin Rouge - I could watch that movie everyday

Finding Neverland - Wonderful movie

Million Dollar Baby - Good movie, pissed me off. But it was about to get a good, strong reaction out of me, which is the key point to all movies. Not something I could watch over and over again though

A Very Long Engagement - It took me two times to fully take in this movie. The first time I was confused, the second time I loved every minute of it.

Amelie - A Godsend of a movie

Empire Records - I love this movie, it's hilarious. If you haven't seen it, check it out.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 10:58 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #5
acliff
llama llama duck

Fight club
Princess Bride

Totally different films, both totally awesome
Old 19-07-2005, 11:00 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #6
Mandy
Honourary Brit

The Other Sister...pretty much the only way anyone knows who Juliette Lewis is.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 11:03 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #7
acliff
llama llama duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
The Other Sister...pretty much the only way anyone knows who Juliette Lewis is.
I've seen her in loads of things..... old skool, starsky and hutch, from dusk till dawn, natural born killers....

Although some of them were when she was really young.
Old 20-07-2005, 12:40 AM   Senior Registered Member #8
Spire
InSpire Me

The five most recent movies I've watched (all within the last 4 days):

Platoon - I'm sure you've all seen this, good Vietnam movie. Full Metal Jacket is better though.

Wedding Crashers - Fairly funny actually, not great, but has some good laughs in it.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Pretty good interpretation of the book, worth a viewing I'd say. Surprise surprise, Johnny Depp is weird.

Howl's Moving Castle - Not Miyazaki's best, but I'm not a huge Miyazaki fan to begin with. This film suffers from a lack of focus and very slow pacing. There is no villain in the film, no real antagonist. The film is really about saving Howl from destroying himself, but that isn't made clear until the final 15 minutes or so. The rest of the film is meandering and, while very interesting, ill-paced. Still better than most of the crap out there though, a truly gorgeous piece of animation.

Zulu - British film about a small group of soldiers holed up in a tiny outpost surrounded by angry natives. A decent film, you'll probably only be able to find it on VHS.
Old 20-07-2005, 03:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #9
Jacoby
'The Flapper'

Just saw Sideways. Really great, lots of meaningful lines and some good humor. It had a really good ending, too. Something happy, but not sappy...it's all about interpretation, I guess.

I also saw Charle and the Chocolate Factory this morning. Still thought it was good.
Old 20-07-2005, 03:41 AM   #10
bob

i only just woke up, but the movies i've seen these holidays:

lost in translation - jury's still out on this one, but i still think it's definitely worth watching. if only to see what others' reactions will be =P

a very long engagement - lovely.

ella enchanted - forced to watch this by others. do not watch it unless you're feeling particularly braindead/ditzy. although there are some funny characterisations.

star wars ep i - the only prequel i could somewhat forgive... suddenly not so appealing the re-incorporated cut scenes were just unnecessary and stifled the flow. why does everyone say "yippee"?. midichlorians suck... but still better than the latter two, due to the lack of hayden christensen and the poor poor poor poor poor scriptwork.

saved - as shabby as the reviewers make it out to be. gets very boring and sterile after the halfway mark (preachy, too). doesn't even send-up religious fanaticism as well as others have done before it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 04:46 AM   Senior Registered Member #11
Richard
Dated

I loved Sideways. That bit with Jack and Miles coming up with the plan to explain how Jack got his nose broken... the car completely misses the tree and drives off into a ditch. That was good humor, and the movie is full of them.

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) What a odd little movie. This is one of Roman Polanski's early films and one of many in which he also starred in. It has the unbalanced mixture of both horror and comedy---however, it's more of a comedy than anything else. I suppose it was never the director's intent to make it a serious film. Thank God for that. I couldn't find a single scene in this movie that was even remotely close to horrific, but the actors in this movie along with their comedic timing gives this flick the label of a comic treasure. Co-stars Jack MacGowran and Sharon Tate.

None But The Lonely Heart (1944) This is a pretty dull movie. I love Cary Grant, but there were too many weak moments in the script and just weren't good enough for my liking. Co-stars Ethel Barrymore.

The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) Without a doubt, one of the best sci-fi films of the 1950s. Along with "The Thing From Another World", it's a must see from the genre. Co-stars Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal.
Old 20-07-2005, 06:40 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #12
Liam
Bogan Elite

I watched 'Tora Tora Tora!' yesterday, and it would have been fantastic aside from a few small facts:

- It was overdubbed in French. Stupid french housemates.
- The P-40E that was in the movie did NOT have nose mounted guns as depicted, nor could it turn with a Zero.
- It was overdubbed in French.
- It was overdubbed in French.
Old 20-07-2005, 01:40 PM   Senior Registered Member #13
frodo1511
Pin Dick

"Wedding Crashers - Fairly funny actually, not great, but has some good laughs in it."

This movie made my side hurt for 3 hours. I thought it was great, and with the inclusion of Coldplay's "Sparks", it makes it that much better.
Old 20-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
Keyser_so_so

After loving it in the cinema, I purchased Closer on DVD the other day, and watched it. I'd forgotten how brutally straight foward and open it is sometimes! Excellent film.

Err... Recently (and by recently I mean in the past month) I've also seen Sin City, which I was blown away by. It's fantastic, and worth checking out, for anybody!

Last weekend the BBC showed The Royal Tenenbaums, which I thought was (again) incredibly good. Very inventive and atmospheric. Last weekend a newspaper also gave away a DVD of David Lean's 1946 adaptation of Great Expectations- which is very good, the definitive version, I'd say. John Mills and Alec Guiness are especially joyous to watch in it, and the direction is very much worth noting (hence the name check before the title).

That's it (I think) for the past month.
Old 20-07-2005, 07:27 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
Richard
Dated

Swimfan (2002) Fatel Attraction it is not. Though I've seen worse, it's best left forgotten. If you ever find yourself wandering around aimlessly at your local videostore... still avoid it. It's nothing but a below average teen flick.
Old 20-07-2005, 08:13 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #16
Digital_Ice

i saw madagascar today... funny in places... other bits (like Morts crying bit) were just recycled shrek 2 animations (puss in boots anyone??)
Old 20-07-2005, 08:58 PM   Officer #17
Renegade
Stock Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire
Zulu - British film about a small group of soldiers holed up in a tiny outpost surrounded by angry natives. A decent film, you'll probably only be able to find it on VHS.
Zulu was a pretty good action film. It got kind of tedious as it progressed, but overall, it's a solid film.

I saw Hitch, The Jacket, and National Treasure yesterday. Hitch was really funny. I recommend it. National Treasure could've been an intelligent thriller but I guess Bruckheimer always gets what he wants. The Jacket was terrible. It gets interesting at points, but the idea has been done before (and much better at that).
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 09:19 PM   Senior Registered Member #18
Richard
Dated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I saw Hitch, The Jacket, and National Treasure yesterday. Hitch was really funny. I recommend it. National Treasure could've been an intelligent thriller but I guess Bruckheimer always gets what he wants. The Jacket was terrible. It gets interesting at points, but the idea has been done before (and much better at that).
I thought National Treasure was great. It's a shame I never saw it in theaters. Although, they kept saying "The Declaration of Independence" too much and it irritated me, like the audience is so stupid we'd forget what it was called. I didn't think The Jacket was terrible per say, but time passed quickly when I watched it... which is usually a good sign. I have yet to see Hitch.
Old 21-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #19
Keyser_so_so

Having not seen Hitch, the only thing that could possibly attract me to it is the dude (Kevin James) who's in the excellent King of Queens TV series... And Will Smith is always worth watching.
Old 21-07-2005, 03:07 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #20
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

If you enjoy Zombie films (like me) Then you should
like Land of the Dead. Lots of gore. Silly plot.
Fun to watch.
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote