Books - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:24 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #21
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I just finished "Jacob Have I Loved." Good book (I love those coming of age stories), and I totally cried. But the end was like...wtf for me...I totally didn't get the very end of it.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if there is a movie based on this book?
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:18 PM   Officer #22
DragonRat
Officer

Steinbeck's East of Eden. For one, a self-proclaimed Christian, it's always interesting to read a fictional remake of a Biblical story, especially the first chapters of Genesis. One could argue that Catherine Trask was probably the most villainous character in all of American fiction, and Caleb Trask was the most human character of all. When Lee spoke about the concept of the word timshel, I think that took a burden off my shoulders as well, simply because it's not a promise (as Catholics believe), or an order (as most Protestants would believe), but it's a choice. In the overall scheme of things, we still have free will.

Such strong and abiding characters in that book. Maybe I spoiled myself for Steinbeck, because it is arguably his best novel (and I didn't really like the Grapes of Wrath).

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:27 AM   #23
guinie22
Newcomer

I have finally had a chance to go back to reading some books!!
I just finished "The Belljar", "The Notebook", "Pride and Prejudice", the Harry Potter books.

Right now I'm reading "The Mists of Avalon" (for my second time-I like it because I love all of the Arthurian stories and this is from all of the women's points of view) and "I Capture the Castle". (Also reading the fifth Harry Potter book to my nephew-50 pages left til we finish)

I will also try to start reading "Girl With a Pearl Earring" within the next couple of weeks!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #24
Jollie
Newcomer

Best book that I ever read must be 1984 by George Orwell, I absolutely adore books with a critical view on society. As I see it, Orwell showed us that we must think for ourselves and remain critical towards our leaders. A message for all times.

Tried to read East of Eden but it might be useful to read it in Dutch and not in English, bit to difficult, but still I loved it as far as I could understood what he was saying. After I heard so much good things about this book I think I try it again.
Jollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:05 PM   Senior Registered Member #25
gracie
Goddess

yeah kelsey i think there is that was like my summer reading in 7th rgrade and i think when we got back we watched a video

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:16 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #26
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Gracie...thanks, I'll have to find it. I just found it on my bookshelf, realized I hadn't read it, and so I did.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:29 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #27
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollie
Best book that I ever read must be 1984 by George Orwell, I absolutely adore books with a critical view on society. As I see it, Orwell showed us that we must think for ourselves and remain critical towards our leaders. A message for all times.
Wouldn't agree that was Orwell's message in 1984...I actually think that like with Animal Farm he was criticising the concept of revolution...and was arguing that social change could really only come by social democracy and not by Communism (which he opposed and said was inherently contradictory, which it is). <Shrugs> That's my take...I base it largely on the book within the book . Also...the love affair is also a touching story of how even in the midst of the control of the superstate a rebellious love can still blossom...it's basically THE ultimate book ever...as it's every single type of book you could ask for in one . It's about people, struggle, love, rebellion, futility...it's both uplifting and immensely depressing at the same time...paradox in its own covers.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:32 AM   #28
Moe

Am I the only one who reads Tom Clancy?

Other than that, I can only agree that Terry Pratchett rules. Douglas Adams is hilarious as well.
I also enjoy the occasional John Grisham novel. Oh, and if anybody is interested in SciFi: check out Alan Dean Foster (creator of Alien).
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #29
keira loves lipgloss
Easily Excited

Talking harry potter

Harry Potter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :d
Old 03-07-2004, 03:17 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #30
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe
Am I the only one who reads Tom Clancy?

Other than that, I can only agree that Terry Pratchett rules. Douglas Adams is hilarious as well.
I also enjoy the occasional John Grisham novel. Oh, and if anybody is interested in SciFi: check out Alan Dean Foster (creator of Alien).
Tom Clancy...excellent...Pratchett...well we all know my thoughts on him...Adams...arrr...too true...and it's not just the Hitchiker's Guide...people who haven't read anything else he's done should...and John Grisham is also rather spiffy...

Alan Dean Forster...don't think I have read any of his stuff...shall have to take a gander...
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:24 PM   Senior Registered Member #31
ryan

i've read some tom clancy.
clear and present danger and sum of all fears.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #32
Moe

I recommend "Patriot Games" as your next read.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:19 PM   First Class Member Officer #33
Sarah
Nice

I got Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected today. I love his work.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:54 AM   Senior Registered Member #34
DefyingGravity

Sorry about the bump--I didn't want to start a new thread.

Right now I'm reading Jacob's Diary by Anonymous, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, Wicked by Gregory Maguire, and The Bible.

I feel like my head's gonna explode.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:05 AM   Senior Registered Member #35
Pygmalion
Pissed

Speaking of sci-fi (ok well not really speaking of it but hey)
A great Sci-Fi/Comedy read is Red Dwarf Omnibus-I liked the tv show, and the books probably as good (it was written after I think)
I like the odd take on what the future will be like eg: that humanity will take over the solar system and use Earth as a planatary garbage dump, officially re-christening it "Garbage World" I've read it so many times its had to be repaired with tape.
On the George Orwell thing, I liked Animal Farm better, except at the end of 1984 where the lead guy tells them to torture his girlfriend and spare him... I like BLACK literature.
Pygmalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:29 AM   Officer #36
DragonRat
Officer

After East of Eden, I bought a military history book, What If? just before I boarded my plane home. After finishing that, which was quite interesting, I read [/i]The Alchemist[/i] by Paulo Coelho, which was a quick and very uplifting read. Now, I'm one chapter into Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. I guess I'm trying to get some real summer reading done.

"Football is about if you want to run and fight for each other, if you really want to play that killer ball." - Robin van Persie, Arsenal FC
DragonRat is offline   Reply With Quote