Wavefront houses - Page 2 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Administratum > KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues

KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues Anything relating to the website and forums themselves. You post it, we'll answer it.

Old 08-07-2004, 02:33 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #21
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

I think we've taken our own take of the houses thing that you guys failed to understand. Let me enlighten you cretins (I refer to Ducky and Cliffeh here).

Right...on the KKW posse thread you may recall me saying it was a little silly having a "club" for KK fans when MOST (not all, but most) of the people on here are KK fans...more interesting would be people with common interests forming "posses".

Now me and Sephy, when discussing this, were thinking more along THOSE lines...it would actually create more closer knit groups...and the groups wouldn't be cliques as there wouldn't be competition and people would be free to switch houses (I see no reason why not). Anyone would be allowed to join...it wouldn't be elitist in the slightest...the point is merely to bring like minded people within the umbrella of KKW members into small more itimate groups where closer friendships are likely to develop. IRC used to be pretty good at doing that, but I don't think it is anymore.

Sephy actually spelt all this out further up. If you hate the idea, just say so...you have that right...it's a discussion forum after all...but have the bloody balls to criticise it for the right reasons (not hide behind this "We're trying to make this place more friendly bullshit). We clear?

Thankyou and goodnight.

(Note to anyone else...I don't wish to offend any of you...I just know EXACTLY why the others opposed this idea...thread of 500 posts anyone? Never took these lot for sore losers myself...and I always thought they'd be man enough to be honest not try and use some populist bs to look like the good guys whilst bashing someone else...rather poor show fellas)
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:06 AM   Senior Registered Member #22
Louie

I think that this sounds like a really good idea. I agree that this would probably form more tight-knit relationships within the groups. What are you guys waiting for?!
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:35 AM   Senior Registered Member #23
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Could be cool I guess, depending on what topics these groups would fight upon.
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:56 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #24
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

My objection is that it just seems a bit unneccessary and a tad silly (and not in a deliciously humorous fashion).
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:11 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #25
acliff
llama llama duck

From my analysis, this would create a huge quantity of spam. I understood perfectly Haz, don't insult my intelligence.

Not so much now, but I don't trust future members not to completely screw up the system. It may work, but firstly there is not enough people for posses, secondly, what do you suggest? A single thread with all posse activities? Other than that just becoming a signup chat thread, what would it actually achieve? You want seperate forums for each interest? Access restrictions for forums?

From what I can see now, those interested in football will chat in threads about football. Making a football posse is somewhat redundant, for example, I forsee a group backslapping each other, disregarding what people outside their posse and their field of knowledge say, as they're not in the posse.

It is an intriguing idea, but it would end up being an admin and mod nightmare. Its hard enough as it is. Besides I feel this need to exist in some virtual group quite caveman.
If the posse idea does come about, Me and Ducky will create an 'Elitist Bastards' posse, and none of you fuckers will be able to join.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:56 AM   Officer #26
Ashlyn
Militia Lieutenant

I think I understand the idea now, I can see how it could work if the groups talked about their own interests, but also came together to talk about stuff with the rest of the forum... However, if the groups are divided so people with interests in sport go that way, people who like music go that way (etc) there doesn't leave much room for anyone coming together... (except for talking about Keira, but some people don't even do that anymore)
You mentioned that people would be free to swap houses whenever they liked, but doesn't that just defeat the purpose of seperating everyone into groups in the first place?
I like the idea of the houses and having competitions between them - that could be fun, but as a way of seperating people for their interests - it doesn't really work in my mind.
Another thing is the number of people we have here now. We don't even have 200 members anymore - and a lot less than half of those would be regular posters, so we'd have like 10 people in each house. And what happens to the people who don't want to join any house? Are they just left to talk amongst themselves about any topic that is left over?
I don't mean to attack anyone who is really into this idea, I just don't see it as being very logical at this stage.
Ashlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:47 PM   Senior Registered Member #27
Sephiroth v2.0

Thusly refine it, this thread was about suggestions to improve on a framework idea
Old 08-07-2004, 10:57 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #28
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Exactly...see the points about the size of the membership, what would happen etc...these were ALL things myself and Sephy discussed...what we concluded was...and here's the intiguing concept...let's open this up to constructive criticism and see what comes out.

Right...the membership...well our plan was to work out the framework entirely...PERFECT the idea...THEN keep it back until the membership is sufficient to sustain it...but I think it could well take several weeks to clear up several chinks, to come up with ideas, refine them etc, so this builds in for that time.

As for what would happen re: seperate forums etc...I'm unsure...but the KK posse seems to do quite well. The idea for inter-house contests (like quizes etc) sounds like fun...and I can see Ashlyn's point about allowing people to switch houses (but the idea was we didn't want to fall afoul of people saying it was too elitist...). I mean if people were changing houses every week I suppose that'd be a problem...so how about allowing a maximum of three moves between houses, after which point you either choose to stay in the one you're in, or just stay part of the KKW community at large)? The point of this thread was to raise these issues and hopefully see if any solutions arose.

The point was that myself and Sephy didn't want to just bloody define the idea ourselves, and then be accused of foisting it on everyone or acting like it was "ours" or any of that crap...seems we can't win.

Now...I'm not in favour of the houses, nor against them...because as yet what they would be has yet to be clearly defined. The point of this was to raise the idea...toss it about...and see what came out...constructive criticism would be good...if you make a criticism though, please just take a little extra time and try and offer a solution. Even if you then think your solution is unworkable...just post it and then say you actually think it's not a satisfactory solution...the point being the more those "solutions" get refined, the more likely they might be to work
Old 09-07-2004, 12:00 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #29
acliff
llama llama duck

When we get to the number of members which would sustain this idea, there would be too many to keep track of moves, etc.
Extra forums, would end up being chat forums, as you can't talk about the posse subject all the time. And chat should generally be kept in irc, or in a lower extent, in the general discussion (its what its there for)

Internet quizzes < google.
the only quizzes that work, are short time based ones, or ones that require creativity, and intelligence. Which are not really things you'd associate with posse group interests.

The KK posse don't actually do very much. They have the tag to show their affection for keira. Fantastic social interaction they have there.

Now I would suggest alternative solutions, but I cannot think of any.
Besides, you may be able to refine gold, but you can't polish a turd. (cliched I know, but it seems to fit the bill)
Old 09-07-2004, 12:34 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #30
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, I still just think its a silly idea. There may be no reasoned arguement in my position but there is a healthy dose of gut instinct. I simply do not think it is a functional idea (and I think the names JD chose for the houses were brass).
Old 09-07-2004, 12:35 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #31
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

And you've made the wrong enemies if you want to start this :P

I don't think th eidea has any potential, when in segregate groups what would people do? It just doesn't appear to have an element of fun about it
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:02 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #32
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

<shrugs> Don't really care if the idea takes off...because it's clearly been misinterpretted as something it's not...nevermind...

Just one thing Cliff...IRC is dead...has been for a while...it either needs a kick up the arse (and a hard one) or some work has to be done to make the forums more chatty...as to be honest...I only seem to come here to spam, be a pain and to waste time in routine...whereas before I actually used to ENJOY coming...
Old 09-07-2004, 01:11 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #33
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Well I think we can adress those issues without resorting to houses. Lead by example good fellow.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:39 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #34
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula
Well I think we can adress those issues without resorting to houses.
I never meant to insinuate we couldn't, just that this idea COULD lead to some fun...if people actually tried to work out potential fun uses for it BEFORE getting all picky about practical issues which may not arise because the concept of "houses" will change with all the ideas floating about...but oh well...suppose noone thought of that.

As for leading by example...you jest, surely?
Old 26-07-2004, 06:29 PM   #35
jadie

as in ways to separate the houses? lazy people and up-and-at'em people? strong people and weak people? party people and head-in-school-book people?
Old 26-07-2004, 07:32 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #36
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

I think we realised that while the old forums might just have sustained such an idea, we cannot possibly entertain such a scheme before we rebuild our new forum's membership to the two-thousand region or thereabouts.
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2004, 10:58 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #37
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrington
I think we realised that while the old forums might just have sustained such an idea, we cannot possibly entertain such a scheme before we rebuild our new forum's membership to the two-thousand region or thereabouts.
Yeah, you make a good point...for now...let it lie
Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #38
barrington
Kite-Eating Tree

I wonder what we all think of this idea now, over three years later?
barrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:34 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #39
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

I want a ranch style house with a walk out basement. Something with kind of a Frank Lloyd Wright aesthetic to it.
Oooh...or a bungalow.
It's so hard to decide.

I can't imagine what this would be like. Too few people for it to really work now, I reckon.

And, it's a good thing you've got all them spangly things beside your name, else you'd get banned for the bump.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #40
Mandy
Honourary Brit

I call Gryffindor.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote