Greenland contains enough melt water to eventually raise sea level by about 23 feet - Page 4 - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 25-11-2004, 09:42 AM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #61
Liam
Bogan Elite

We have to hit back at the aliens who stole our Argon.
Old 25-11-2004, 11:16 AM   Officer #62
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam
I doubt its because of Greenpeace.

Myself, I prefer to lop down a nice, 200 year old oak (an ideal vintage), get out the electric plane and bandsaw and slice that baby up into a nice table. I'll throw the leftovers in a chipper and mulch the garden.

Earth first, we can strip-mine the other planets later.
Did you know that:
- Only 20% of the world’s ancient forests are left?
- An area of forest the size of a football field disappears every two seconds?
- Still 50% of the tropical wood sold in Europe is logged illegally?

Look, lets say I follow your theory,
if we go on like we are doing now, than the forest will be gone, long before we will be able to go to an other planet,

But I don’t believe in your theory,
“that we are destined to rule abuse the world till she is finished, and than go to the next planet” there is prove enough that we aren’t
The planet proves it every day.

--> http://archive.greenpeace.org/forest...oduktlijst.pdf

oak, is not such a big problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
Apparently we'll next strip the moon of all its cheese.
Well, there are indeed plans, to exploit the moon for helium 3 isotopes which is used for core fusion.
If you know that the main substance of solar cells is actually sand (silisium) and that we just need to put one desert full of sollar pannels to supply the whole world from energy, than i seriously doubt about some peoples brains.
of course we cant make ourselves depent of one desert, but i just want to prove that we dont need to go to the moon to suplie our planet from energy there are enough alternatives to make clean energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam
We have to hit back at the aliens who stole our Argon.
yeah, and my neighbour is wolverine from X-men
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 11:19 AM   Senior Registered Member #63
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Really? Ooo ask him when he sticks his claws out does it hurt. I want retractable knives in my hands.

Solar cell > *... amongst renewable energy sources. Until the sun gobbles us up and burns us to shrivels.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
deviljet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 11:29 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #64
duckula
Nobler in the mind.

Solar cells are difficult to make and therefore expensive. Its about using a combination of all the renewables. PS Tidal power = teh win.
duckula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 11:34 AM   Senior Registered Member #65
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Tidal power is quite hard to harness. There's only around 20 sites so far found to be suitable for it. Also it works when the tides are in and out which is like 10-12 hours so you'll need other power stations to help supply the energy needed in the meantime. If companies really commit to solar cells, they will surely be able to mass produce them one day.
Old 25-11-2004, 12:38 PM   Officer #66
Flightfreak
Stalker Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckula
Solar cells are difficult to make and therefore expensive. Its about using a combination of all the renewables. PS Tidal power = teh win.
uni’s over the whole world are doing research and developing for better and cheaper ways to make “silicon” and solar panels.
I don’t think the cost of developing ways to make clean energy will cost as much than the problems we will need to salve if we go on using fossil fuels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet
Tidal power is quite hard to harness. There's only around 20 sites so far found to be suitable for it. Also it works when the tides are in and out which is like 10-12 hours so you'll need other power stations to help supply the energy needed in the meantime. If companies really commit to solar cells, they will surely be able to mass produce them one day. .

We can’t use everywhere solar cells, or Tidal power, or wind mill’s…
Example, you cant use solar cells, in Norway, its 6months a year; dark over there, so you need to use other alternatives -> wind mill’s or tidal power,…

But we need to change more than just the way we make energy,
We need to use it on a more efficient way, example:
The Belgium state loses every year millions of euros because thy didn’t isolate state buildings,
That’s money they could spend on research for healthcare, developing new energy sources,…

Governments need to change there priorities, but they wont change as long as we don’t give a clear signal to the whole world, *hint* Greenpeace
The west should realise that third world NIC (new industrialised countries) countries as Japan, Taiwan,…, learn from the mistakes we made and still make, they are developing very fast and if we don’t change our way of living now, than they will grow over us,

What I try to explain here is that, if there are people who say “al that healthcare and care for the environment is bullshit”
Even than there are still reasons enough to change our way of living.
Flightfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 02:13 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #67
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

I think off-shore wind farms are the way to go, perhaps we could attach a turbine underwater to harness the prevailing tide as well. Every little helps.

Those people who complain that the windfarms destroy the landscapes visual stimuli should be safe in the knowledge that their thrice nightly cup of tea wont be harming the environment as directly as it was.
Old 27-11-2004, 07:20 AM   Senior Registered Member #68
deviljet88
KKW Sex Therapist

Political parties sadly won't risk votes for those people though. I mean in Victoria there's the same bunch of annoying Gippslanders who say no turbine farms because it ruins the scenery. Problem is that region is held by an independent needed for power in the state government. Solar cells would cause much less problems than turbines. Plus there'll be the odd greenie that say the turbines disrupt bird patterns and whateverelse.

8th KK posse member
Xanga
Playing now on Winamp
Old 28-11-2004, 07:03 AM   #69
aspro

We have wind power and hydroelectric stuff down here, I dont think we have any powerplants that arent ecofriendly*.

* Well it did flood a forest, and lots of birds run into the wind farms
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote