Why??????? - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 08-10-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
Arg

Unhappy Why???????

I'm sure this thing is going to collect a lot of hatemail, but something's got to be said.

First off, I would like to say that Keira Knightley is without a doubt one of the most beautiful women in film right now in my opinion. However, I am afraid she is as yet woefully unskilled as an actress. This was not terribly noticeable in films such as "Love Actually" or the series "Oliver Twist", but was glaringly prevalent particularly in the recent Jerry Bruckheimer rendition of "King Arthur". True, much can be blamed on Bruckheimer's lack of ability to comprehend ancient North European history, but her character, mainly in her entirely unconvincing manner of speech, was torture to watch every time she opened her mouth (just fine otherwise! ).
This leads me to my main rant. How can they with a good conscience presume to re-do Pride and Predjudice ... my heart breaks at the thought. If any of you have ever seen the A&E miniseries directed by Simon Langton, and starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, you will know what I am talking about. I'm sorry folks, but really think Keira needs to go back to the drawing board on her acting skills before trying a role of this caliber. Maybe she could do that while continuing to dabble in her modeling on the side? I know I could handle that.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:25 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #2
apoggy
Mmm Marmite

If you don't like the new version or the idea of it being remade, don't watch it. You can't say that 90% of films are justifiably made and contain a main cast that are brilliant actors who dont need to improve in theri skills.

That said I think actors in general need to tackle difficult roles in order to fully grasp what the industry is all about, what is better than experience to help improve ones talents?
apoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
Margo Channing
Newcomer

Quote:
I think actors in general need to tackle difficult roles in order to fully grasp what the industry is all about, what is better than experience to help improve ones talents?
Great point. It can be difficult to watch a favorite performer take on a role that may be beyond their current ability but that's how they grow. Very few actors give great performances from their very first try and do so until the end of their careers. Keira won't be any different. With every role (good or bad) she's going to pick up a new skill and she'll learn how to utilize them in the future.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:12 AM   Senior Registered Member #4
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't P&P first a book? Read it first, then see the movie(always helps me out)

Anyway, I'm excited for her role in the movie. Everyone gets a role that some think is "impossible for him/her to do," but sometimes it works (Ian McKellen bringing Gandalf to life in the most convincing way possible-kudos to him). I'm sure she will do great, and if your concerned arg, don't see it. Plain and simple.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
Valerie
Newcomer

Exactly. Give her a break, she is just starting out, in time she will get better. I will admit that when I watched King Arthur I was not very impressed with her acting. She needs a more challenging role, I think it will be interesting to see her in Pride and Prejudice, though I still think they should of left it alone.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:22 AM   First Class Member Officer #6
Sarah
Nice

Weird. Why did I read that first post with a foreign accent? lol.

Keira isn't a great actress. So what.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:17 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #7
Liam
Bogan Elite

I dont really care. Its not like I'm going to watch it.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:37 PM   #8
Narzys

Can somebody tell what IS a good actress, what skills does she have?? She got a very 'keira way' of playing.. you always see keira a little bit. Is that it?? mhhhh.. :icon_err:

<- Dylan never was a good singer!)

steenbergenja@hotmail.com
Narzys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
blackdragon
Newcomer

[quote=Narzys]Can somebody tell what IS a good actress, what skills does she have?? She got a very 'keira way' of playing.. you always see keira a little bit. Is that it?? mhhhh.. :icon_err:

AMy opinion is that a good actor/actress is someone who always make his/her character having a lot of credits, no matter the kind of character or the type of movie.
blackdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #10
NearokA

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoggy
If you don't like the new version or the idea of it being remade, don't watch it. You can't say that 90% of films are justifiably made and contain a main cast that are brilliant actors who dont need to improve in theri skills.

That said I think actors in general need to tackle difficult roles in order to fully grasp what the industry is all about, what is better than experience to help improve ones talents?
Poggs, didn't I read a post saying you thought she was a bad actress too? lol or was it some other guy?

I enjoyed Keira in Bend it like Beckham. But in that film, she wasn't really acting as much as just being who she is. I think acting comes naturally to us as long as the persona remains within local boundaries. For instance, being a medieval princess who's cold and calculating is probably far from what Keira is as a person, thus the cheesy acting. You really have to have mad skills to pull that sort of thing off, like Robert DeNiro or Halle Berry.

To be honest, I think it's her beauty that's got her this far and like Pamela Anderson trying to act, it won't last very long. Me? I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Who knows, she may improve. I mean she's working with top notch actors like Christopher Walkins and Johnny Depp, maybe she just needs time to learn the game.

Who here can say they are the most brillant person in school, or the most creative journalist? I think it's only fair that we do not judge Keira prematurely.
two of a kind but one won't survive,
my images reflect in the enemies eye,
and his images reflect in mine the same time,
--Mos Def
NearokA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:13 PM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #11
Foeni

NearokA, I don't think the only reason Keira has gone this far with her career is her beauty. I don't really think it's possible to get so far in great movies without having any clue of acting! It would be unfair to say that she is not a good actress. Of course she isn't that old yet, and she therefore has a lack of experience, but that doesn't make her a badder actress. She is doing great in POTC, Love Actually and King Arthur. I think there has been a very big progression in her acting, she is doing way better in the three movies I just mentioned than she did in The Hole... And in time, I think she'll only grow better.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:16 PM   Lifetme Service Award Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Retired Administrator #12
Liam
Bogan Elite

She isnt a terrible actor. Neither is she a fantastic actor.

Someone like Scarlett Johansson is a much better actor for my money than our Keira. She's well fit, too.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:50 AM   #13
Margo Channing
Newcomer

Quote:
She is doing great in POTC, Love Actually and King Arthur.
I think out of those three she did her best in Love Actually.

I think her current level of fame is due to five things.

1)She's charismatic.

2)She's not a bad actress.

3)She hasn't been in a terrible film yet, therefor her abilities haven't really been tested. Can she deliver horrible dialogue? Is her skill dependent on good scripts?

4)She's very attractive. This will get you a fanbase no matter how bad a performer you are.

5)She's been in one huge blockbuster containing one very popular performance by Johnny Depp.

When you combine all those factors, you have the new "It" girl. Now, when the hype dies down and her next few films come out, her current place in Hollywood will be decided.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:43 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #14
Foeni

That's true, but that wasn't what I was talking about. You are talking about fame, I am talking about her career as an actress.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:56 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #15
Mandy
Honourary Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeni
That's true, but that wasn't what I was talking about. You are talking about fame, I am talking about her career as an actress.
A lot of times those two coincide with each other...If one's not famous, then there's not hardly a chance that they can have a career. I could be wrong...
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:47 AM   #16
Margo Channing
Newcomer

Quote:
I know. I was just saying that as far as acting goes, of the three films you mentioned, she did her best in Love Actually. The rest of my post, sorry I wasn't more clear about this, was in response to NearokA's post.