Baseball History - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Talk about pretty much anything.

Old 30-07-2007, 10:05 AM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

Baseball History

This thread will probably get more responses from American's but I'm sure my overseas friends will comment on it. Baseball history is about to me made. Barry Bonds is about to break Hank Aaron's Homerun record. It is hardly being mentioned in the news. He is at 754 and the record is 755. A lot people say he doesn't deserve the record because of steroid use. I have mixed feeling on this. Yes it gives today's players an unfair advantage over players from yesterday but I feel if it was available back then they would have taken them as well. And steroids have been around for a long time and they were no drug test for them 50 years ago so who knows for sure if they weren't taking them. This affects other sports, many records in all sports will be broken with the use of steroids. Do today's players deserve to break the old records? I say yes. Having muscles doesn't give you the talent it takes to play the game. It might make you hit, kick or throw further but that isn't enough to make you great.
Old 30-07-2007, 11:38 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Administrator #2
Digital_Ice

its a slight generalisation that *all* sports people use steroids.
Old 30-07-2007, 12:16 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

I never said all sports people used them, I said that many records will be broken in all sports with the use of steroids
Old 30-07-2007, 01:33 PM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #4
hasselbrad
Senior Citizen

Babe Ruth was a real man. He didn't need steriods to hit the ball out of the park...just bloody steaks, booze like it was water and more tail than Frank Sinatra could've gotten in two lifetimes.
And, he didn't have the advantage afforded Bonds (or Aaron for that matter) by newer technology. He swung a telephone pole at a ball stuffed with feathers and cotton candy. With today's lighter, faster bat and tightly wound balls, Ruth might well have hit over 1000 homeruns.
To be honest, steroids are only part of the equation. Rule changes, improved equipment and improvements in field (pitch...for you Brits) technology play a huge part as well. Jim Brown held the NFL rushing record for over twenty years before it was broken by Walter Payton. Jim Brown spent nine years amassing over 12,000 yards rushing on a chewed up grass field in Cleveland in a league where it was perfectly alright to grab a player's facemask in order to make a tackle. Walter Payton ran on astroturf in a league where grabbing his facemask meant a fifteen yard penalty and an automatic first down.
I doubt Barry Sanders would have ever gotten anywhere near Jim Brown's record had he played in the 1950s and 60s. Lightning quick cuts are a hell of a lot easier on astroturf than they are on loose dirt, spray painted green. All that's without even mentioning rules changes as far as pass interference goes. When Jim Brown played, it was often against five man fronts and three linebackers. Eight men in the box wasn't some fancy way to stop the run, but simply the way you played defense. Of course, when Jim Brown played, he was something of an anomaly. At 6' 2" and about 220#s, he was as big, if not bigger, than most linebackers. And, he was usually the fastest man on the field. But then, Jim Brown gained all of his yards during twelve game seasons. Walter Payton played in an era of transition from 14 game to 16 game seasons, most of them in the latter. Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith never played a season that didn't have 16 games.
The more you look at sports over time, the easier it is to see places to put the asteriks.
What would Juan Manuel Fangio or A.J. Foyt have done with cars of today? Perhaps Foyt would have won twice as many Indy 500s, Daytona 500s (and 24 Hours of) and 24 Hours of LeMans titles (not to mention a few more Formula One races) with todays technology? Would Fangio's Formula One record ever been eclipsed? Perhaps...perhaps not. Perhaps today's technology would have negated the cunning and raw strength required to get the racecars of yesterday around the track.
How good would George Best be with today's perfectly manicured pitches, feather light shoes, balls that are actually round and LITE beer?
As for the original question, I don't think it really matters if an asterik is placed next to his name in the record books or not, because 20 or 30 years from now, there'll be some kid with arms as big as my thighs, jacked up on some sort of shit that medical science hasn't even thought of breaking the yearly homerun record every year and we'll harken back to the good ol' days of Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire.

This is fun Randy! Bravo on a great thread idea.
Old 30-07-2007, 01:41 PM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

Babe Ruth was the best. I wish I was around to see him play. The best line ever about him had to be from Ty Cobb(I heard it the movie Cobb so I assume its true) "He ran good for a fat man". Also I believe he hit his Homeruns in less at bats than Aaron.
Old 30-07-2007, 08:13 PM   Senior Registered Member #6
frodo1511
Pin Dick

As Bonds is running the bases on his 756 homer, feel free to do one of the following:

-Light one of his baseball cards and hold it up like a lighter at a concert

-Catch the ball and throw it back. You'll never have to pay for a drink the rest of your life.

-Hold up four fingers on each hand -44- Hank Aaron's number

-Hold up a big sign: SEVEN FILTHY SIX

-Women, pull a black veil over your face. Men, pin on a black carnation.

-Call the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, California and ask to speak to Greg Anderson. He's the convicted steroids dealer-and Bond's personal trainer and friend-who's spent 10 months in jail for refusing to testify before a grand jury looking into possibly perjury and tax-evasion charges against Bonds. Ask Anderson what he's going to want from Bonds when he gets out. Like, say, his own personal state.

-Call the Hall of Fame and ask which cap will appear on Bond's head in his Cooperstown exhibit- the size 7, 7.5 or 8?

-Pull out a copy of "Game of Shadows" and begin reading aloud how Bonds used steroids, human growth hormone, insulin, testosterone decanoate, bovine steroids and female fertility drugs to help him set this record. And then watch Bonds step on home and point to God.

-If you're watching on the tele, flip to something a little more plausible, like "Armageddon".

-Hold up a big sign that says 650, which is the about how many home runs Bonds would have if you replaced the homer totals from his alleged juicing years (99 to 04) with his prejuce pace of 32 a season.

-Send rabbits' feet, four-leaf clovers and two-headed pennies to Alex Rodriguez and Ken Griffey Jr., letting them know that you're pulling for them to pass Bonds like he's a hitchhiker in an orange jumpsuit.

-Hold up a big sign: FLAXSEED WORKS!

-Jump onto the field and give commissioner Bud Selig a hug, for he's a Milwaukee native who loved watching Hank Aaron, and his fondest wish was probably to see Bonds fall down an elevator shaft.

Get Bonds's autograph at the ballpark- on the bottom of an affidavit that reads, "I set this record with the help of performance-enhancing drugs. I am a very large jerk for doing so."

-Squirt juice out of a giant syringe.

Thank you Rick Reilly.