Gay marriages - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Wavefront Community > Keira Girls > Relationships & Sexuality

Relationships & Sexuality Advice? I-Told-You-So's? Confusion? Rabid Parents? Stick it in here and smoke it. Boys welcome too!

Old 22-07-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
Pinkfairy

Gay marriages

The Republican House voted to prevent federal courts to recognize same-sex marriages arguing that the law defines marriage as between a man and a woman.
Personally I don't agree with this. Isn't this the land of freedom? Shouldn't citizens be able to fall in love with whoever they want? I do understand that the president makes all sorts of difficult decisions so that the country runs well but this should be out of their reach. This is about peoples' personal lives. There's a good saying that should be applied: Live and let live. Gay marriages will not affect the country's well being. I don't know any gay people, and I'm not gay, but I do believe that love is between two people, not just a man and a woman. I went to a Catholic school where it's considered wrong, but I don't think it is. Marriage should be between two people who love each other, and the crime would be if they didn't love each other.
I just feel bad gay people who believe in marriage. They are being robbed of a right that should be everyone's.

Last edited by Pinkfairy; 23-07-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Pinkfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 12:43 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #2
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I support the idea of a civil union and equal rights given to couples of the same sex. I feel that they should be recognized by law as a couple. I don't, however, believe this union should be called "marriage."

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 12:46 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
I support the idea of a civil union and equal rights given to couples of the same sex. I feel that they should be recognized by law as a couple. I don't, however, believe this union should be called "marriage."
Marriage, and people don't realise this, is purely a legal term. Before people weren't "married" they were "wed"...since that was the cultural and religious term. Marriage is purely a legal contract between two people to spend their lives together subject to a possible future divorce etc...so I see no reason why the contract has to be between a man and a woman. I mean nothing says a contract of sale has to be between a licensed merchant and a member of the public, EBAY is proof of that Let anyone marry anyone...yes...even their cats if they want to.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 01:02 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #4
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzle
Marriage, and people don't realise this, is purely a legal term.
Then I don't think it should be the legal term for a union between two people of the same sex. *Shrug*.

Check out my blog:
http://www.thingsephemeral.blogspot.com
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 01:25 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey
Then I don't think it should be the legal term for a union between two people of the same sex. *Shrug*.
Can't see a reason why not, that's all. Legal union, we're all supposed to have the same legal rights...ipso facto...gay marriages ARE legal, and any country that doesn't say so is discriminating against gay people. I'm sure you're not arguing that we should discriminate against gay people in the workplace or anywhere else...I'm sure you're not saying gay people should have less legal rights...thus surely you must agree that they have the same legal right to enter into the legal contract to be married? It's a contract after all and nothing says a gay person can't contract.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 04:00 AM   Senior Registered Member #6
Elijahfan

i think they deserve rights, sorta up to the church or the religion that the couple is part of whether if their marriage or union does not go against their religion. seriously it's all bull to me. not like normal male-female marriages are the best either. i think it's 52% that dont survive. plus the whole gay thing being bad is just stupid. practically since the beginning of civiliced man, there have been gays or bisexuals. everyone did it, romans, greeks, even great leaders like Alexander the great. it's told in storys, like the illiad.

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote