Applications - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Administratum > KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues

KeiraKnightley.com & Forum Issues Anything relating to the website and forums themselves. You post it, we'll answer it.

View Poll Results: Should KKW have applications for new members?
Yes 3 17.65%
No 12 70.59%
Maybe. I'd need to thrash out the details first. 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-05-2006, 08:11 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #1
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Applications

Holy Christ on a bike Bazman!

We have had the shittest intake of newbies yet. No, come on, really, which one of you thinks we've gotten a GREAT bunch of newbies recently.

Barring Once Dreaded I've not been impressed by any of them. To be fair, there are a lot of other "ok" newbies who don't annoy the pissfuck out of me. Swordsman's ok and there are others I can stand. But Michael22 is so unfunny he even admitted it in IRC. And he's not the only one.

I've seen this done on VBulletin sites before and I think we need to do this on KKW. You can make the main forums all private, visible only once you log in. Therefore we cut down on lurkers. Secondly, in order to actually register to become a member, you need to apply, or be recommended by an existing member. The only people who can create new users on this other site I go to are the admins (but I'd guess that you could set the permissions to allow mods to do it too).

I propose we do the same. That way we cut down on unfunny people or people who are one-dimensional (ie their sole interest is an unhealthy obsession with Keira). Of course we WANT Keira fans, but well-rounded Keira fans would be best, no? People with an interest in other things too. Humour isn't necessary, but being interesting should be!

All that would need to be done is the main boards be made private, and another (public) forum be set up for applications. We could draft up an application form with several questions, to try and build up a profile of the potential member, their interests, and whether they'll be interesting to have around. We post that up as a sticky thread and lock it. Then every applicant would start a new thread to apply and answer the questions. Existing members are then free to probe further, ask any other questions they want...maybe ask the applicant to tell a joke. Or flesh out an answer to the application form.

The final step would be a public poll with everyone voting "in" or "out". The poll would be open for a fixed amount of time, and every poll would stay open the same amount of time (out of fairness). A simple majority should suffice either way, but if we need to, we can fine-tune that as we go along. Maybe have a minimum voter turnout before the result is "valid". I dunno, it's an idea.

That's my idea to improve KKW. But I actually want to know what everyone else thinks...so I'm putting this to a simple poll. Applications: Yes or No?
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 08:58 AM   First Class Member Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Moderator #2
Foeni

Isn't this supposed to be a fansite? Most the OMFG-Keira-is-so-hot-how-can-I-meet-her fans don't stick around. I think that a lot of regulars started out as lurkers and joined as fans.
I suppose this idea would go against the idea of KKW.
Old 26-05-2006, 09:07 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #3
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeni
Isn't this supposed to be a fansite? Most the OMFG-Keira-is-so-hot-how-can-I-meet-her fans don't stick around. I think that a lot of regulars started out as lurkers and joined as fans.
I suppose this idea would go against the idea of KKW.
A fansite, yes, but I'm not saying we shouldn't admit fans. The website I'm talking about (the one I got the idea from) is for Arsenal fans, and everyone who gets through the applications IS an Arsenal fan first and foremost.

However they have a personality beyond that. The idea of this is to ensure that our new members have the same. If they have other interests, of any kind, or at least can be coherent in what they have to say, they have a place here.

My point is do we really want people who:

a) Always use textspeak
b) Have nothing interesting to say

Those are the only two types of people I'd want kept out. Anyone else would be welcome. The only point of an application would be to test if someone would have something to contribute. After all, every user who uses the site puts a strain on the resources that Baz pays for, let's not forget. Why not make sure that they have something to put INTO KKW?

It's just an idea. If you're totally against the idea, cool, but if you've got suggestions, tweaks, whatever, to improve it as a concept...offer them up!
Old 26-05-2006, 09:09 AM   Senior Registered Member #4
kingdumbass

So, on a scale from one to ten (ten being REALLY bad), how annoying am I as a newbie?
kingdumbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 09:16 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #5
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdumbass
So, on a scale from one to ten (ten being REALLY bad), how annoying am I as a newbie?
Start a poll and find out!
Old 26-05-2006, 09:21 AM   First Class Member KKWiki Contributer Administrator #6
Mandy
Honourary Brit

No, but I think it needs applications for new moderators.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 09:57 AM   KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #7
Ranman
KKW's Therapist

In my opinion No, But if they fail to follow the rules The bosses
need to take action against them right away.
Ranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 11:14 AM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #8
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
No, but I think it needs applications for new moderators.
Oh there's no doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman
In my opinion No, But if they fail to follow the rules The bosses
need to take action against them right away.
The problem is some people follow the rules but are just plain boring. And will never become interesting as they were born without a personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightfreak
A lot of people including me lurked for while before i joined to get an idea who was in charge, who were the regulars, and just get an general idea of the forums swing in common. A lot of people join for KK but also join for all the amusing threads that can be found in the Wavefront Community.
Well, you could have the forums be visible (ie allow lurking) but still require applications for members. The problem is a lot of people join for the amusing threads and then proceed to be unfunny bastards. And thus ruin the amusing threads. The cunts.

Quote:
Applications for special positions would be cool imo. Elections for Spammer of the year…
I don't REALLY think that's a competition...