Pride and Prejudice - Keira Knightley.com Forums
Keira Knightley.com Forums  

Go Back   Keira Knightley.com Forums > Keira Boards > Keira's Movies & Projects

Keira's Movies & Projects The place to discuss Keira's movies, projects and anything else you hear with your ear to the ground...

Old 18-06-2004, 08:42 PM   Knightley News #1
KnightleyNews
Newsmaster

Pride and Prejudice

Here's what we know so far:

Keira has signed to play Elizabeth Bennet in 'Pride & Prejudice' for Working Title Films, producers of Love Actually and Four Weddings And A Funeral. Filming is due to start in mid-July. It will be the first movie version of the Jane Austen novel since 1940 (which starred Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier).

Cast:
Elizabeth Bennet - Keira Knightley
Fitzwilliam Darcy - Matthew MacFadyen
Lydia Bennet - Jena Malone
Jane Bennet - Rosamund Pike
Kitty Bennet - Carey Mulligan
Mary Bennet - Talulah Riley

Director: Joe Wright
Producer: Paul Webster
Screenplay: Deborah Moggach ('Close Relations', 'Tulip Fever'), then Lee Hall ('Billy Elliott').

Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall (both in Derbyshire) are rumoured to be filming locations, the former for Darcy's residence, the latter for the Bennets'.

Working Title Films said: "We're trying to do something that pleases the enthusiasts and the Austen fans, that's a faithful adaptation but with a bit more muscle".

Paul

Last edited by KnightleyNews; 18-06-2004 at 09:04 PM.
KnightleyNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
ice crystal

It should be good... although Colin Firth is the original Mr Darcy!
ice crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
shifas hussain

Talking love

i love all the members and especially anna
shes too lovely
:fencing:
Old 20-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
Idle

Some people have now seen more or less finished versions of the movie.

This is the most detailed description
http://imdb.com/title/tt0414387/board/thread/15039063

Sounds very promising. The review ends with
Quote:
Overall, I’d give this movie probably 4 out of 5. For the most part, it was very faithful to the story and for the amount of time this movie had, it packed the most punch of the original Jane Austen script. The ending was perfect (that’s all I’m going to say about that). But this is truly Keira’s movie and her stunning performance should be award-winning. Trust me, this was a great movie.
A couple of other reactions. Both positive.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0414387/boar...31593#15031593
http://imdb.com/title/tt0414387/board/thread/14164949

And an article in The Mail on Sunday contained this:
Quote:
Yet another of Keira's pictures, Pride And Prejudice, opens in the autumn. Those who have seen a rough cut of Joe Wright's film have told me it's a cracking movie - Keira and Matthew MacFadyen as Mr Darcy are said to be sublime.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #5
Anna

Interesting cast! Rosamund Pike should be very good as Jane. I wonder who will play Mr. Bingley?

The BBC production with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle was wonderful. It'll be interesting to compare the two.

#5 in the Keira Knightley Posse
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 04:58 PM   Lifetme Service Award Officer #6
Leonie
Elle

Well, I don't think you can compair the BBC miniseries and Keira's film. They'll have to leave out certain scenes to make the film a decent length, so it will never be as close an adaption as the miniseries. That's probably what all Austen fans will nag about. I loved the book, and hope Keira's film will do it justice.

Secondly, wasn't Elizabeth supposed to be less pretty than her older sister, but smarter and funnier? They're not gonna find anyone beautiful enough to play Jane then :P
Leonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 06:03 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! KKWiki Contributer Senior Registered Member #7
Hazzle
Sponsored Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie
Well, I don't think you can compair the BBC miniseries and Keira's film. They'll have to leave out certain scenes to make the film a decent length, so it will never be as close an adaption as the miniseries. That's probably what all Austen fans will nag about. I loved the book, and hope Keira's film will do it justice.

Secondly, wasn't Elizabeth supposed to be less pretty than her older sister, but smarter and funnier? They're not gonna find anyone beautiful enough to play Jane then :P
Not read the book but in that case, they probably should've swapped over Rosamund Pike and Keira...Rosamund Pike, if memory serves, was very sassy in Die Another Day. She's not bad looking, but if she's supposed to play a role that's prettier than Keira...err...no.
Hazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 09:21 PM   Attended an OMGWTFKKWBBQ! Officer #8
Kelsey
Holly Moderator

I'm still not too thrilled about Keira being in this new version, but I'm sure I'll change my mind. Definitely still trying to get over Jena Malone being cast. I love the book so I'm glad they are trying to stick closely to it.

On another note, the script must be finished now since money has now been paid for it. I saw this on Done Deal. They only have Moggach listed as writer and the only cast info they have is Keira.
Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #9
wee me

pride and prejudice is such a gd book- who better to play the brilliant lizzie than keira?
wee me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
jess666

hi my names jess. by the way Simon Woods plays mr bingley in pride and prejudice
Old 30-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #11
Mr Darcy
Newcomer

This was a really great movie, It was just like the book, and they hardly took anything out, and Keira acted wonderfully.
Mr Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 03:24 AM   Senior Registered Member #12
Rob The BLack Douglas

I disliked the kiss at the end in the US version, it so does not fit the tone of the movie.
To deny love is to deny life.
Love is as necessary as oxygen.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/robslibrary/
http://www.myspace.com/kilted_robespierre
Rob The BLack Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 06:41 AM   #13
airbag1000
Newcomer

My sentiments exactly. I hated the kiss! I wish they would've ended the movie after Elizabeth asked for her father's blessing to marry Mr. D.
airbag1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 10:58 PM   #14
lucy
Newcomer

p & p in my village

hi all new comer here!
just thought any fans would like to know that they were filming p and p in my home village of weekley a few weeks ago. we were informed by the locations manager that there would be disruption for a short while.they had built a huge archway (the entrance to catherine de burghs house) next to the cricket field where my son plays.
we went up on the first day and filming had just finished and we saw a few darkened cars leaving as we trapsed up to the village green.
they had re done a gated entrance to the boughton estate with a huge arch which was very impressive. we walked around the film set and met the horses that had been used that day. one for mr darcy and the other one had been used to pull the carriage that lizzy bennet arrives at the parsonage in. the other horse accorrding to the trainers was in a huff because it hadnt been used.(although it had been used previously for a john thaw programme;something mr tom??)
anyway the crew were complaining about the catering because they had to eat chicken curry on what was a really warm day!
on the third day i went up with my four year old daughter and as we approached the old alms house where they were filming in side and out, we decided to walk on the set because no one was about and as we did we saw a very sulky keira knightly walking in out direction with a crust of bread, i told my daughter that "that girl coming towards us was a big movie star" and as keira walked towards us my daughter said (very loudly) "whys that girl wearing a funny dress" keira knightley just looked at us and smiled but looked fed up she asked my daughter what she thought about them filming but georgie just said" my brother plays cricket here ." me meanwhile is thinking oh my god im talking to a movie star!
anyway they carried on filming the "proposal scene" inside the alms house till 12 midnight that friday night.
the following day we went up there to see them removing the archway and that evening i returned home with part of the archway for my living room!
anyway just thought i would let know any keira knightley fans out there about my experience with them filming on my doorstep and if anyone wants to buy a bit of arch way im open to offers hahaha lol
hope you can see my pics i took.
i did take my camera when i i met keira knightley but believe it or not i forgot i had it when i saw her!
sorry folks
regards
from a big film fan with a non-appreciative daughter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wells charlie bd 001.jpg (120.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg wells charlie bd 002.jpg (125.8 KB, 113 views)
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 11:05 PM   Senior Registered Member #15
frodo1511
Pin Dick

Nice, what a hilarious daughter you've raised, lucy.
Old 27-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #16
Margo Channing
Newcomer

Quote:
Shaun of the Dead hit on friday, and it's in the top 10 best reviewed films of the year on Movies.com, so I beg to differ that P&P will do like shit.
I'm probably not going to see it in theaters, but I'm definiatly seeing the Jacket, bet you'r bottom dollar i am.
Being a September release doesn't mean a film can't make money or become a surprise hit. It means the studio has no faith in it's ability to make money or become a surprise hit. By releasing a film in September, the studio is saying that it's cutting it's losses and preparing to take a beating from the critics. They don't think the leads will be able to pull in money/they don't know who the target audience is/the movie became a mess during production/bad early press... Any of those things can ensure a September release. Don't believe me? Look at some of the film's released this past month: Vanity Fair, Paparazzi, Wicker Park, Wimbledon, Mr. 3000, Cellular... there have been a few good ones this month but there have been even more bad ones.

All I'm saying is, if the studio is hinting at a September release, it isn't a good sign. I hope not though, I want this film to do well.
Old 29-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #17
keiracaleb

Right, my scanner has decided to work now so here are the scans of my autographs (sorry they're massive) (pics of the days will appear shortly)

Jackhe's fine just like i promised she's all set to marry norrington just like she promised and you get to die for her just like you promised so really we're all men of our word exept elizabeth who is in fact a woman.

Keira(blooper on POTC after accepting norringotn's proposal)hall i shop for something to wear? Or will it be bare breast and ankles all the way?
keiracaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2004, 09:55 PM   Senior Registered Member #18
Elijahfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiracaleb
Right, my scanner has decided to work now so here are the scans of my autographs (sorry they're massive) (pics of the days will appear shortly)

no!! the pictures didnt show, please post them again

Leonie Edit: Let's not quote pictures that were huge the first time they were posted already, aight?

I’m okay with being unimpressive, I sleep better ~Garden State~

Last edited by Leonie; 29-09-2004 at 10:15 PM. Reason: huuuuuge
Elijahfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #19
ksulaura

saw the movie last night

I saw a sneak preview of Pride and Prejudice last night here in Kansas City. It was great! One of my top 5 favorite films. It was true to the book. Keira was really great.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #20
Idle

Could you elaborate? Just a little bit? Please?
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote